OUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mig2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is up with OUCOM's 5 year contract for nonresidents? (For anyone that doesn't know, you are REQUIRED to work in Ohio for a minimum of 5 years after residency if you are a non-Ohio resident) Is it THAT bad at Ohio that they have to make new docs stay there like? It just sounds a little crazy...

Members don't see this ad.

Is that actually true? If so, what happens of you breach the contract & go elsewhere? So much for autonomy.

Yes,

All out of state applicants to OUCOM receive a "contract" that you must sign for further consideration. It states that if you are admitted to OUCOM from out of state you will practice within the boundries of OH for a minimum of 5 years. I believe there is also a clause [fine print] dis-allowing your obligation if there is no need for additional Docs in OH.

This was the reason I did not submit my secondary to OUCOM...didn't want my options so severely truncated right out of the gates.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my god..... I thought that the indentured servant was extinct! Thanks for the information guys. When my OUCOM secondary arrives I think I am going to need to "file" it immediately!

Should one "fail" to comply, you have to pay damages of $18k for 4 years plus whatever else "damages" the school deems you have caused. You are basically funding a medical student. Its pretty harsh.

miglo

You might want to check with OUCOM before making any decisions regarding attendance. The students that I spoke with that were from out of state locations said that the residency counts as part or all of the requirement. Its best to know the facts prior to making any decision for or against!!! don't limit yourself on something you heard from someone that may or may not know what they are talking about!
Here is the number: 740-593-2500
Good Luck