"Our peers in tech and other non-medicine fields are making 6 figures already"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
as somebody who doesn’t really like cities, how much should doctors expect to make if they practice in “rural” areas as opposed to metropolitan areas?
This is a really interesting question. I've been told across the board that working at academic institutions at places like NYC is essentially shooting yourself in the foot in regards to pay (relatively, of course). However, the sample size I've seen for this is definitely not enough to make any real judgements. I came from a medium sized midwestern town and then moved into one of the mega cities for undergrad. I don't have the personal connection to doctors at my current/undergrad location, but those in my previous town were like family friends and I know for a fact that my pcp doc made like over half a million and was essentially the doc for our town; I would probably estimate more because this dude had a 488 Pista, a massive house and lakehouse, and is like mid 40s. Meanwhile, I've heard of IM entry docs at my undergrad institution getting paid less than an entry salary for a high achieving econ major from my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a really interesting question. I've been told across the board that working at academic institutions at places like NYC is essentially shooting yourself in the foot in regards to pay (relatively, of course). However, the sample size I've seen for this is definitely not enough to make any real judgements. I came from a medium sized midwestern town and then moved into one of the mega cities for undergrad. I don't have the personal connection to doctors at my current/undergrad location, but those in my previous town were like family friends and I know for a fact that my pcp doc made like over half a million and was essentially the doc for our town; I would probably estimate more because this dude had a 488 Pista, a massive house and lakehouse, and is like mid 40s. Meanwhile, I've heard of IM entry docs at my undergrad institution getting paid less than an entry salary for a high achieving econ major from my undergrad.

Making half a million is not that hard to do these days in Medicine. In general doctors are becoming more efficient, smarter in treating patients, coding, etc. I amaze myself how much I have learned and how in a short amount of time I have been able to increase my earnings with small tweaks to how I see patients, appropriate coding, how to wisely care for your money, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Making half a million is not that hard to do these days in Medicine. In general doctors are becoming more efficient, smarter in treating patients, coding, etc. I amaze myself how much I have learned and how in a short amount of time I have been able to increase my earnings with small tweaks to how I see patients, appropriate coding, how to wisely care for your money, etc.
Can you elaborate on how coding translates to increased revenue in the context of a medical practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about salary or in general? This was an FM dude making half a mil just from job sans investments or anything...I mean if that is 'easy' then sign me up tbh.

Are you talking about salary or in general? This was an FM dude making half a mil just from job sans investments or anything...I mean if that is 'easy' then sign me up tbh.

I never said it was "easy" - I said it's not that hard. And most people who make that it's not just "salary" - if the person you are talking about was his/her own boss obviously it's not that hard to do. Doctors who are employed obviously make a lot less. The trend more and more is for doctors to be independent contractors to a large extent - the salary increase is exponential. No one is going to simply hand you half a million bucks - but a reasonably competent physician can ceratinly make that.

Bruh, who are these people everyone knows that are making 6 figures at a young age? I don't know anyone that is relatively young (below 40) and making bank. I see med students/residents complain about their peers making money easily and it always confuses me. You guys have some very successful friends because most of the people I know outside of medicine are making 50K-80K in their careers, which is the range for residents.
I know people who work in Wall Street and in big tech firms who very easily make well over six figures. Doesn’t have to necessarily come from top universities but that can certainly help

Can you elaborate on how coding translates to increased revenue in the context of a medical practice?
Not computer coding -- he's talking about medical procedure coding! :) Different codes translate to different reimbursement rates for different insurers.

Reactions: 2 users
In tech 6 figure salaries are everywhere. I'm an undergrad majoring in CS at a top 10 school and I personally have >15 friends that have accepted offers for over 200k+.
Personally, I have an offer from amazon for TC 160k.

And big tech has a fairly linear path to 350k (after that you actually need skill). And after factoring in med school debt and the power of compounding, it's clear which path will make more money.

I'm choosing to apply to med school because I will like being a doctor better than I will like being a software engineer, but I have no illusions about which will make me more money.

In tech 6 figure salaries are everywhere. I'm an undergrad majoring in CS at a top 10 school and I personally have >15 friends that have accepted offers for over 200k+.
Personally, I have an offer from amazon for TC 160k.

And big tech has a fairly linear path to 350k (after that you actually need skill). And after factoring in med school debt and the power of compounding, it's clear which path will make more money.

I'm choosing to apply to med school because I will like being a doctor better than I will like being a software engineer, but I have no illusions about which will make me more money.
not to mention, it's easier getting top CS jobs than the entire medical process imo.

not to mention, it's easier getting top CS jobs than the entire medical process imo.
no question-anyone with a brain can grind leetcode for 1 month (~160 hrs) and get a 150k+ job. That's literally less than 7x the time (hourly) some people spent on dedicated for step 1 (at least, pre PF).

Medicine is super skewed towards the wealthy...I would imagine you are just receiving a perspective from a skewed demographic.
Hard agree. This thread is frankly a bit out of touch with the majority of Americans. The median income for an individual in the US is about $31,000. Only 31% of the population makes over 100k and only 10% makes over 200k. It's good to keep things in perspective.

Hard agree. This thread is frankly a bit out of touch with the majority of Americans. The median income for an individual in the US is about $31,000. Only 31% of the population makes over 100k and only 10% makes over 200k. It's good to keep things in perspective.
I mean, this thread literally says "tech" in the title. The median SWE makes around 80k starting, 110k overall average. 200k is difficult but doable. 350k (still talking starting salary post undergrad) is very difficult and very rare (citadel). If you get a PhD, then 350k becomes the new "difficult but doable" starting salary. We're not really comparing to the average american.

People say don't go into medicine for the money, but honestly not many careers will net you more income than medicine. Tech is one of these few that will consistently match or exceed medicine at far less effort.

I mean, this thread literally says "tech" in the title. The median SWE makes around 80k starting, 110k overall average. 200k is difficult but doable. 350k (still talking starting salary post undergrad) is very difficult and very rare (citadel). If you get a PhD, then 350k becomes the new "difficult but doable" starting salary. We're not really comparing to the average american.
Oh yeah sorry if I was unclear, I didn't mean 350 starting, but 350 after a couple years at FAANG is fairly common (take a look for yourself at Levels.fyi | Salaries & Tools to Level Up Your Career)

And that's more than some doctors make + without the debt + at a younger age

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah sorry if I was unclear, I didn't mean 350 starting, but 350 after a couple years at FAANG is fairly common (take a look for yourself at Levels.fyi | Salaries & Tools to Level Up Your Career)

And that's more than some doctors make + without the debt + at a younger age
oh absolutely, that's what I interpreted it as.
And this is just for your average "good" coder from a "decent" school (not even top performers). The actual peak of the field is insane. Not sure if I mentioned this earlier in this same thread, but Citadel, HFTs, and Quants offer up to 700k starting salary for PhDs in a highly relevant field with relevant experience (which rn are machine learning and quantum computing and probably more).
I had a friend who got an offer from Tesla including stock mid-pandemic, when the stock was $200. It's increased 5x in value since then. This man is making around 500k a year at age 21.

oh absolutely, that's what I interpreted it as.
And this is just for your average "good" coder from a "decent" school (not even top performers). The actual peak of the field is insane. Not sure if I mentioned this earlier in this same thread, but Citadel, HFTs, and Quants offer up to 700k starting salary for PhDs in a highly relevant field with relevant experience (which rn are machine learning and quantum computing and probably more).
I had a friend who got an offer from Tesla including stock mid-pandemic, when the stock was $200. It's increased 5x in value since then. This man is making around 500k a year at age 21.
Wow - I actually have a friend who went to a well known HFT without a PhD (did Math+CS in undergrad). His bonus this past year was 850k, on top of 250k base (so 1.2m TC pre tax). He's 23 years old.
Interestingly enough, he also got a 528 on his mcat and got into harvard med, but decided to go to the HFT.

Wow - I actually have a friend who went to a well known HFT without a PhD (did Math+CS in undergrad). His bonus this past year was 850k, on top of 250k base (so 1.2m TC pre tax). He's 23 years old.
Interestingly enough, he also got a 528 on his mcat and got into harvard med, but decided to go to the HFT.

I think what you are suggesting is the exception not the norm. I know colleagues who are making millions in medicine too but it's not the norm. I would be skeptical of too many people in tech making an 850k bonus at 23 just because. it's like the example of not needing to go to college because zuckerberg is a billionaire and dropped out.
highly unlikely.

Compensation in HFT as with other prop shops and hedge funds is highly performance based. So I’m guessing that your friend must have made the firm a ton of money.

I think what you are suggesting is the exception not the norm. I know colleagues who are making millions in medicine too but it's not the norm. I would be skeptical of too many people in tech making an 850k bonus at 23 just because. it's like the example of not needing to go to college because zuckerberg is a billionaire and dropped out.
highly unlikely.
oh yea, I would be very surprised if anyone thought this was typical. Even the PhD example I quoted is pretty atypical.
200K+ salaries are probably closer to the "typical" upper end but achievable portion of the field.

oh yea, I would be very surprised if anyone thought this was typical. Even the PhD example I quoted is pretty atypical.
200K+ salaries are probably closer to the "typical" upper end but achievable portion of the field.

In the right setting, anything is possible. I'm making significantly more than the average physician in my field. Is it doable? Yes but my position is a mix of unlikely scenarios that are not typical and I would imagine a different physician in the same field would find it challenging to replicate it. Same above - sure if you rfriend figured something out or did something and made the firm/company a ton of money sure they might get a bonus that's big bc he did something that was extaordinarily awesome but that is highly unlikely. The 200's I think with time a lot of tech people can achieve with a lot less effort that much I would agree.

highly unlikely.
Oh no question my friend is at the top .001% of earners at 23. All I'm saying is that there's a lot of money to be made in fields like tech.
I agree with this
That the norm for decent new grads out of T10 CS programs is closer to 200k starting. Again I want to reiterate that after saving 8k/month early in you career for a couple of years sets you up for insane compounding in the future, so tech significantly outperforms medicine even at these "low" income levels (ie, even if a software engineer never made more than 200/250k, they'd still be ahead of a doc who started investing money closer to 30, even if that doc made 400k).

Here's a really cool calculator that shows this: Compound Interest Calculator

All I know is that most my friends from a wannabe-IVY college now 8 years out are either making money hand over fist or traveling all over the place having fun or both. The pay to work ratio at some of these companies is ridiculously stupid. Lots of jobs where there is maybe 4 hours of real work a day. Now that work-from-home is here to stay these people can get a home workout in, do some household chores, have the TV on in the background etc instead of pretending to be busy the full 8 hours at the desk. Add in the lack of a commute and often the ability to live anywhere without a paycut.

The paradigm has shifted and physicians are rapidly losing ground to tech and generic business jobs.

I find medicine fun and rewarding most days but hard not to feel like a sucker when you: leave home at 5:30a, stay truly productive the full workday, get home at 6:30p and do that potentially 6 days a week for $60k with $250k+ debt at 30. You could be living exactly where you’d like, roll out of bed at 7:30, have a chill workday getting in a workout midday, and logging off at 4:30 with no nights/weekends for 3 times the pay and upward mobility.

I used to think $60k was actually a decent wage, all things considered. But after seeing what the workday looks like in the WFH era and comparing it to a typical resident/nurse/tech I’m convinced we all get taken for a ride.

• Love
I'd love to find one the aforementioned 4 hours per day for 6 figures jobs. As an accountant, I'm booked for 50+ billable(so really 60+) hours per week through June.

Oh no question my friend is at the top .001% of earners at 23. All I'm saying is that there's a lot of money to be made in fields like tech.
I agree with this

That the norm for decent new grads out of T10 CS programs is closer to 200k starting. Again I want to reiterate that after saving 8k/month early in you career for a couple of years sets you up for insane compounding in the future, so tech significantly outperforms medicine even at these "low" income levels (ie, even if a software engineer never made more than 200/250k, they'd still be ahead of a doc who started investing money closer to 30, even if that doc made 400k).

Here's a really cool calculator that shows this: Compound Interest Calculator

I know tons of people in tech and have several family in tech. I think to suggest that most tech people start at 200k is not realistic. That's a minuscule amount of people in those fields.

I'd love to find one the aforementioned 4 hours per day for 6 figures jobs. As an accountant, I'm booked for 50+ billable(so really 60+) hours per week through June.
those jobs were in tech. my accountant friends have no such parallel immediately post-grad. I'e heard public accounting is pretty good, but that's like 10 years down the line.

I know tons of people in tech and have several family in tech. I think to suggest that most tech people start at 200k is not realistic. That's a minuscule amount of people in those fields.
you're underestimating. I promise you it isn't miniscule. It's about 10% of SWEs. If you want to set the bound to 150k+, then it's about 25%. And that's starting. Around 60% make over 100k starting, and another 20% are just barely below 100k.

All I know is that most my friends from a wannabe-IVY college now 8 years out are either making money hand over fist or traveling all over the place having fun or both. The pay to work ratio at some of these companies is ridiculously stupid. Lots of jobs where there is maybe 4 hours of real work a day. Now that work-from-home is here to stay these people can get a home workout in, do some household chores, have the TV on in the background etc instead of pretending to be busy the full 8 hours at the desk. Add in the lack of a commute and often the ability to live anywhere without a paycut.

The paradigm has shifted and physicians are rapidly losing ground to tech and generic business jobs.

I find medicine fun and rewarding most days but hard not to feel like a sucker when you: leave home at 5:30a, stay truly productive the full workday, get home at 6:30p and do that potentially 6 days a week for $60k with $250k+ debt at 30. You could be living exactly where you’d like, roll out of bed at 7:30, have a chill workday getting in a workout midday, and logging off at 4:30 with no nights/weekends for 3 times the pay and upward mobility.

I used to think $60k was actually a decent wage, all things considered. But after seeing what the workday looks like in the WFH era and comparing it to a typical resident/nurse/tech I’m convinced we all get taken for a ride.

Again I think it's rather delusional what people are talking about here. Most tech people don't start at 200k or even get close to it. Sure SOME people at FAANG type places might hit it big. But this idea that all techs make 200k off the bat and all techs are making 500K a few years out is insane. It is not factual nor a true representation of what people in tech or finance make.

Again I think it's rather delusional what people are talking about here. Most tech people don't start at 200k or even get close to it. Sure SOME people at FAANG type places might hit it big. But this idea that all techs make 200k off the bat and all techs are making 500K a few years out is insane. It is not factual nor a true representation of what people in tech or finance make.
dude you're saying things no one is saying. All techs absolutely do not make 200k of the bat. A majority make around or over 100k at 22 though. Not to mention around 10k each year in undergrad through summer internships.

Last edited:
you're underestimating. I promise you it isn't miniscule. It's about 10% of SWEs. If you want to set the bound to 150k+, then it's about 25%. And that's starting. Around 60% make over 100k starting, and another 20% are just barely below 100k.

In what world? you think the average engineer/tech person is making that off the bat> can you show me some of these jobs? The avg. engineer makes ~130k or so mid career. Most companies don't pay anywhere near what you are suggesting.

dude you're saying things no one is saying. All techs absolutely do not make 200k of the bat. A supermajority make around or over 100k at 22 though. Not to mention around 10k each year in undergrad through summer internships.

Not sure in what world you think most techs make 100k at 22. Most people don't even graduate by 22 these days. Particularly STEM majors. Can you show me these 100k jobs right off the bat? nowhere near this side of the pond.

In what world? you think the average engineer/tech person is making that off the bat> can you show me some of these jobs? The avg. engineer makes ~130k or so mid career. Most companies don't pay anywhere near what you are suggesting.
From US News, which is a pretty good source.
A wage under 100k is something frequently mocked on r/cscareers, Blind, or other tech-centered forums.

Edit: I just saw that I missed the word "starting". Apologies. Harder to find sources for that.
Can't really find much beyond this: Software Engineer Salary | PayScale, which has the median at just under 90k.

Not sure in what world you think most techs make 100k at 22. Most people don't even graduate by 22 these days. Particularly STEM majors. Can you show me these 100k jobs right off the bat? nowhere near this side of the pond.
Check out www.levels.fyi, it's extremely easy to get a salary of 100k+. There's this notion that because physicians work so hard for so long, their salaries should reflect that, and that there's no way that many people can be making doctor-level salaries (200k+) straight out of undergrad. That is false.

again, I personally have an offer for 160 at amazon, and I'm probably in the bottom quartile of my class in terms of intelligence/hard work/etc... the money is really just that easy to get.

Last edited:
I didn't say most tech people, I said new grads at T10 CS programs, which is a select group of tech people. Many, many new grads at my T10 CS undergrad are making 200k+ out of UG

I didn't say most tech people, I said new grads at T10 CS programs, which is a select group of tech people. Many, many new grads at my T10 CS undergrad are making 200k+ out of UG
the other thing is that the tech industry is now larger than the banking industry and stocks continue to rise. As comp has a portion of stock in it, swe's often end up netting more than offered. My friend's stock has doubled since he got it.

From US News, which is a pretty good source.
A wage under 100k is something frequently mocked on r/cscareers, Blind, or other tech-centered forums.

Edit: I just saw that I missed the word "starting". Apologies. Harder to find sources for that.
Can't really find much beyond this: Software Engineer Salary | PayScale, which has the median at just under 90k.

Correct. They are not "starting" salaries. These are salaries that of course tech people get - but to suggest that right off the bat these are the avg salaries when your own data point to much lower salaries seems like you are trying to portray something to mislead.

That's a minuscule amount of people when you take the whole of tech people. I am doubtful that most if any undergrad is getting an offer of 200 from undergrad. Why would a company pay that kind of money to a new undergrad? it's irrational what you are saying. and I say this coming from a family of people working at big name companies - both in fiancee and tech - with Ivy League degrees, etc and not a single one has ever started at that.

Correct. They are not "starting" salaries. These are salaries that of course tech people get - but to suggest that right off the bat these are the avg salaries when your own data point to much lower salaries seems like you are trying to portray something to mislead.
I mean, I did say around or over. I would consider about 90k to be around 100k. You'll probably see in the low 90s by the end of this year tbh, compensation is up once again, as the stocks keep rising.

That's a minuscule amount of people when you take the whole of tech people. I am doubtful that most if any undergrad is getting an offer of 200 from undergrad. Why would a company pay that kind of money to a new undergrad? it's irrational what you are saying. and I say this coming from a family of people working at big name companies - both in fiancee and tech - with Ivy League degrees, etc and not a single one has ever started at that.
Have two friends from state schools making 200k+ (not even top 50), rest are making over 100k.
You have to remember FAANG salaries don't literally refer to those 5 companies. Oracle, DropBox, Uber, Lyft, these guys all pay 200k starting too. And many more similar companies.

the other thing is that the tech industry is now larger than the banking industry and stocks continue to rise. As comp has a portion of stock in it, swe's often end up netting more than offered. My friend's stock has doubled since he got it.
I mean, I did say around or over. I would consider about 90k to be around 100k. You'll probably see in the low 90s by the end of this year tbh, compensation is up once again, as the stocks keep rising.
I think it shows that you are still in undergrad. you don't count stocks as part of the package. stocks go up and down. but it's pointless to have this conversation. it seems to me you are like the people who say there's no need to go to college and give the example of Zuckerberg. oh well.
to tell others that most techs are starting out at 100-200k is grossly and grotesquely wrong. it's just misleading people and perhaps undergrads - very few people will make that.

• Dislike
Have two friends from state schools making 200k+ (not even top 50), rest are making over 100k.
You have to remember FAANG salaries don't literally refer to those 5 companies. Oracle, DropBox, Uber, Lyft, these guys all pay 200k starting too. And many more similar companies.
not in direct compensation they don't. my brother works at drop box - doesn't make anywhere near that and he's got an engineering degree from a top school and close to 20 years at other top companies. these companies do not pay 200k starting. this is delusional.

not in direct compensation they don't. my brother works at drop box - doesn't make anywhere near that and he's got an engineering degree from a top school and close to 20 years at other top companies. these companies do not pay 200k starting. this is delusional.
Is he working as a software engineer? If not he's not in the scope of this conversation. If he is, he is being under-compensated, simple as that.
here is the salary data for dropbox: Dropbox Software Engineer Salaries | $177k-$637k+ | Levels.fyi
The new grad swe salaries are 177k. Feel free to cross reference this figure with any other data source you can find (glassdoor, etc.). It is correct.

It doesn't make sense to talk about only base salary and omit RSUs. Stock is a significant portion of salary, but if you're an employee who wants to diversity? It's as simple as selling that company stock and buying whatever index fund you like best. That stock is still liquid money (after a vesting period), so you can't just ignore it.

Is he working as a software engineer? If not he's not in the scope of this conversation. If he is, he is being under-compensated, simple as that.
here is the salary data for dropbox: Dropbox Software Engineer Salaries | $177k-$637k+ | Levels.fyi
The new grad swe salaries are 177k. Feel free to cross reference this figure with any other data source you can find (glassdoor, etc.). It is correct.

It doesn't make sense to talk about only base salary and omit RSUs. Stock is a significant portion of salary, but if you're an employee who wants to diversity? It's as simple as selling that company stock and buying whatever index fund you like best. That stock is still liquid money (after a vesting period), so you can't just ignore it.
you are wrong. do you work at any of these companies? no. I'm telling you from direct experience with family members. you don't count stock as "salary" - good luck.

you are wrong. do you work at any of these companies? no. I'm telling you from direct experience with family members. you don't count stock as "salary" - good luck.
I'm talking total comp. If you have a brother in tech, surely you are aware of the relevant language? In tech everyone refers to TC, or total comp, because non-salary financial packages are absolutely relevant to the discussion. I have a friend in finance making like 90k base and 100k bonus, it would be ridiculous to ignore the bonus. My family and friends are in this too, and literally not once has anyone omitted stock from the conversation about compensation. If your brother is making below 200k in TC at dropbox after 20 years of work at top companies then either he's lying to you or he's a janitor there.

I would remind people that if you check cscareerquestions or other places where new grads frequent, many discuss how they can’t land a job offer as it really is a hot market for senior or experienced workers as opposed to entry-level hires. On top of that, not everyone works at FAANG, or Dropbox or some other big tech company and there’s always cases where the new people are shown the door after a short time. Amazon was famous for doing that.

It is a good field to get into that will allow someone to live a comfortable middle class lifestyle, perhaps with the potential for more. But there is no such thing as easy money.

Reactions: 2 users
I would remind people that if you check cscareerquestions or other places where new grads frequent, many discuss how they can’t land a job offer as it really is a hot market for senior or experienced workers as opposed to entry-level hires. On top of that, not everyone works at FAANG, or Dropbox or some other big tech company and there’s always cases where the new people are shown the door after a short time. Amazon was famous for doing that.

It is a good field to get into that will allow someone to live a comfortable middle class lifestyle, perhaps with the potential for more. But there is no such thing as easy money.

This. I think this is a balanced position on the tech field.

I agree there’s so such thing as “easy” money, but I think we can agree that there is much less effort required to become a swe at a FAANG than there is to become a physician. The former requires (1) lots of applications and (2) ~200 hours of Leetcode.

Speaking from experience.

I agree there’s so such thing as “easy” money, but I think we can agree that there is much less effort required to become a swe at a FAANG than there is to become a physician. The former requires (1) lots of applications and (2) ~200 hours of Leetcode.

Speaking from experience.
I have a major in data science from a university that doesn't even crack 100. I have 0 work experience, just a great GPA. A rep from epic reached out to me with a job and asked to apply. I got a 90k offer. Right out of undergrad. No leetcode, no experience, literally nothing but good grades.

I have a major in data science from a university that doesn't even crack 100. I have 0 work experience, just a great GPA. A rep from epic reached out to me with a job and asked to apply. I got a 90k offer. Right out of undergrad. No leetcode, no experience, literally nothing but good grades.
Wow, that’s awesome. Good for you!

Wow, that’s awesome. Good for you!
Haha I chose to become a CRC in the very competitive specialty I hope to enter instead. Salary 45k, close to home. It's been a centerpiece of my interviews, so I think I made the right call. EPIC would have needed me to move all the way to Wisconsin, which is thousands of miles from me.

M3 here. Honestly it’s quite obvious that tech is absolutely booming right now. My classmates probably don’t realize how much $$ they’ve lost out on by not choosing tech, and plenty of them could’ve been great at it. Probably for the better that I or anyone else don’t rub it in their faces.

Personally I’m now caring more about having fewer fetters from hospitals, admins, etc and going for outpatient/telemedicine clinic to minimize (but sure not eliminate, because insurance companies exist) my “bosses”. Hopefully the money can follow, if not oh well. I still made sure to have fun in my 20s sometimes aside from certain inevitably soul crushing moments in med school

All this said, no job market boom lasts forever. And at least medicine has seen gradual increase in most specialties with minimal catastrophes (such as radonc, EM, path, and soon to be derm,).

Seems like primary care and anesthesia are emerging victorious from battles with mid levels.

Last edited:
M3 here. Honestly it’s quite obvious that tech is absolutely booming right now. My classmates probably don’t realize how much $$ they’ve lost out on by not choosing tech, and plenty of them could’ve been great at it. Probably for the better that I or anyone else don’t rub it in their faces.

Personally I’m now caring more about having fewer fetters from hospitals, admins, etc and going for outpatient/telemedicine clinic to minimize (but sure not eliminate, because insurance companies exist) my “bosses”. Hopefully the money can follow, if not oh well. I still made sure to have fun in my 20s sometimes aside from certain inevitably soul crushing moments in med school

All this said, no job market boom lasts forever. And at least medicine has seen gradual increase in most specialties with minimal catastrophes (such as radonc, EM, path, and soon to be derm,).

Seems like primary care and anesthesia are emerging victorious from battles with mid levels.

Umm have you checked the stock market? Tech is doing terrible right now.

• Dislike