This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NescacPremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to go to a State University medical school in a different state. For example, I really like the University of Washington medical school in Seattle. I know that they have quotas for people who live in the Pacific Northwest. They rarely accept people who do not live in the Pacific Northwest. How can I get into UW if I am out of state?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Move to the WWAMI area and establish residency or apply to their MD/PhD program with a stellar application.

That's about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, if my sister lives in Seattle would it work to use her address or is that illegal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go where you:

A) Can get accepted
B) Save the most money

For both, your own state school is your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
Go where you:

A) Can get accepted
B) Save the most money

For both, your own state school is your best bet.
I am not trying to sound like a bitch, but "B" is not a problem for me. As for "A", I want to go to the best school I can and UW is one of the best medical schools and is in a place I would love to live. I am just trying to figure out how I can get in even though I am out of state.

Then it's not gonna fly
Do you have any advice. I know they like to accept in state people so that they do not have a shortage of doctors. Is there a way to show them I would in fact live in Washington if accepted?

I am not trying to sound like a bitch, but "B" is not a problem for me. As for "A", I want to go to the best school I can and UW is one of the best medical schools and is in a place I would love to live. I am just trying to figure out how I can get in even though I am out of state.

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/faqs/admissions-process

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 10.27.45 PM.png

Even if you had instate residency for UDUB, you would be one of over 5K applicants for 220 places. It's not an easy school to get into even for WWAMI applicants. You can not focus on wanting to go to just one school. Getting into ANY med school is difficult. Getting into UDUB as an non-WWAMI is close to impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
You being well off doesn't make you sound like a b***h. You wanting UW just because you want the lifestyle of Seattle does. They are training doctors for the whole Northwest, not just Seattle. This includes places such as Walla Walla, Yakima, Tri-Cities, Billings, Pocatello, and Anchorage. I doubt that you want to live in one of those places, and I am certain that the ADCOM will have the same opinion.

This is analogous to dating dissonance. You want to date him. He's just not that into it. Move on to the one who is.
You can move to Seattle after training if you wish (in contrast to the dating analogy!).
Thanks! Do you think it will be hard to get a residency in Seattle?