Overall 2021-21 waitlist movement low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r2med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might me one of my last posts here. It was great to be around past year+ on SDN. Was helpful for the most part. Thank you all.

Congrats to all those who made it this crazy season. Go - MD Class of 2025. And Good luck to all those still in the race and those applying/re-applying for future years.

Question: I have not been following threads recently. Has the overall waitlist movement this year been lower or higher than other years? How about lower or higher than this year's expectations? I believe there was speculation during this season that there will be very many multiple acceptances which will cause lot of WL movement. In the schools that I was WL, there was hardly any movement. How about others?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This might me one of my last posts here. It was great to be around past year+ on SDN. Was helpful for the most part. Thank you all.

Congrats to all those who made it this crazy season. Go - MD Class of 2025. And Good luck to all those still in the race and those applying/re-applying for future years.

Question: I have not been following threads recently. Has the overall waitlist movement this year been lower or higher than other years? How about lower or higher than this year's expectations? I believe there was speculation during this season that there will be very many multiple acceptances which will cause lot of WL movement. In the schools that I was WL, there was hardly any movement. How about others?
did you have any success with WL?

Seen you post in the Weill thread a lot - I just withdrew from their WL lol.
Yeah, definitely less WL movement than prior years from what I've seen (especially at higher tier schools). Vagelos and Stanford have both stated that they did not anticipate their high yields this year (in fact, Vagelos had to rescind a WL offer from someone).
EDIT: not sure if rescinded or deferred, can't confirm - see columbia thread

N=1 but I got WL'ed at like 11 schools this cycle and only made it off the WL for 2 of them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, definitely less WL movement than prior years from what I've seen (especially at higher tier schools). Vagelos and Stanford have both stated that they did not anticipate their high yields this year (in fact, Vagelos had to rescind a WL offer from someone).

N=1 but I got WL'ed at like 11 schools this cycle and only made it off the WL for 2 of them.
Can you speak to the circumstances under which this happened? Mistakes usually happen in larger numbers than 1, and, if it wasn't a mistake, how the hell did they justify rescinding just because they were over enrolled?

Me too. Just withdrew. Finally, the 1+ year application process has come to an end.
did you have any success with WL?
Withdrew from all three.

Reactions: 3 users
FIU HWCOM over-accepted and thus did not take a ~single~ person from their waitlist

Overall waitlist movement this past cycle was lower than expected. Many schools had anticipated worst case scenarios with virtual interviewing and therefore interviewed more applicants than were needed in retrospect. Due to the surge in applicants, fewer people ended up with multiple acceptances, which led to less waitlist movement. Those who were accepted off a waitlist were also less likely to have another acceptance, further diminishing the domino effect that is typically seen.

Reactions: 6 users
@KnightDoc @EdgeTrimmer

I think it happened to at least 2 people, per the Columbia SDN thread.

Not sure if rescinded or deferred, but I'm assuming they probably gave the deferral option as an apology.

Reactions: 1 users
@KnightDoc @EdgeTrimmer

I think it happened to at least 2 people, per the Columbia SDN thread.

Not sure if rescinded or deferred, but I'm assuming they probably gave the deferral option as an apology.
I'll go check out the thread. If it actually happened, it's very unusual. When schools over enroll, they typically ask for volunteers to defer, offering incentives to get people to volunteer. They don't typically either draft people without compensation, or just unilaterally rescind offers.

Edit: I just checked out the Columbia thread. I see what you are talking about. Yes, that looked like a mistake, which happens from time to time. It apparently impacted more than one person, and was corrected within a few hours. Not the same as over enrolling and then needing to rescind or get people to defer.

Med schools are not like Walmart. They never apologize for mistakes by honoring the lower price, or, in this case, by honoring offers of admission they never meant to make in the first place. That's apparently what happened with Columbia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
FYI - a large state school did not have to go to WL at all. Even without it, they are overfilled by 20+%. Hardly any denials and this is not the largest admitted class, but still the largest class.