Overweight at the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starflower

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are people dieting in preparation for interviews? I know this is a stupid question, but I just cut my hair really short, and my appearance is a bit of a disaster! What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

starflower said:
Are people dieting in preparation for interviews? I know this is a stupid question, but I just cut my hair really short, and my appearance is a bit of a disaster! What do you guys think?

Yeah... I don't think an adcom will think your serious about others' health if you yourself are fat... :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's turn this thread into one that bashes fat people... :sleep:

This is kind of a tough answer. Technically, the adcoms are not supposed to discriminate based on appearance. However, they are human beings, and the reality is, they do. If you are heavy and look like you don't take pride in your health or appearance, they may question your commitment to the field of medicine. As with any interview, whether it is for a job, or a position in medical school, looks count (perhaps more than they should). You should diet if you know you are overweight, but for the sake of your health and happiness, not just for the sake of the interviews

I'm a guy with shoulder length hair and I plan to keep it that way. I will not cut my hair for an interview, but it will look presentable. It took over a year and a half to this point! I'll probably cut off the beard, though. Other than not having groomed hair, nothing else should matter imo.

WilliamsF1 said:
I'm a guy with shoulder length hair and I plan to keep it that way. I will not cut my hair for an interview, but it will look presentable. It took over a year and a half to this point! I'll probably cut off the beard, though.

This has nothing to do with being overweight IMO... :sleep:

starflower said:

Do what you can to look good in the interview. We live in a world where people do judge books (and future doctors) by their cover.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not technically overweight, but at the highest normal weight for my height - so I'm trying to lose a bit before September. I have 15 pounds to be where I was pre-baby #1. I'm only a couple pounds from where I started pre-baby #2.

But honestly, I'm trying to lose weight more for myself than for interviewing. The interview just gives added incentive.

Law2Doc said:
They were thin for the interviews. The hospital cafeteria, and free pizza at every club meeting got them fat after...

They definitely have abused the power of chyme... :sleep:

oxeye said:
I'm not technically overweight, but at the highest normal weight for my height - so I'm trying to lose a bit before September. I have 15 pounds to be where I was pre-baby #1. I'm only a couple pounds from where I started pre-baby #2.

But honestly, I'm trying to lose weight more for myself than for interviewing. The interview just gives added incentive.

What exactly is your weight... :sleep:

EDIT: Please don't reply to that... :sleep:

oxeye said:

5 smaller meals a day + 25 minutes cardio everyday + light weight workouts will easily take off 15 pounds in a couple months.

I had my appendix removed last March. I was 155 at the time I think. The surgeon said no physical activity for 2 months and I went up to 180. I felt like crap. I got back in shape by doing what I said above. 15 lbs was gone in less than 2 months. I was down to 155 after 4 months. A lot of my friends think I'm crazy because I eat the same thing everyday. For me, I just eat to live, not live to eat. It's pretty easy to change imo if you're a routine person.

I don't think there's much wrong with being slightly overweight for interviews, but if it's to the point where it's clearly unhealthy, then I would. Why take a chance?

Christo1 said:
I don't think there's much wrong with being slightly overweight for interviews, but if it's to the point where it's clearly unhealthy, then I would. Why take a chance?

Why not take a crazy chance... :sleep:

Why not do a crazy dance... :sleep:

check out www.johnberardi.com if you browse around the website long enough you will come across the precisionnutrition.com website...its phenomenal resource, certainly worth the money, I can vouch for it from experience along with the many others. This guy is THE BEST when it comes to nutrition, whether its nutritional biochemistry, post workout nutrition or "how to get lean" the solutions are there. Best of luck.

Maybe it is the fact I have been doing the workout thing for a while but the nutrition seems pretty obvious to me.........the hardest part is not giving into stuff. I loved bulking phases though...just get the highest calorie intake you could get...phew.. the good ol days....and yes while it SHOULDN'T matter I am sure there is a bit of a subconcious preference to the fit attractive person with a beautiful smile over the fat person with questionable hygiene..all else held equal.......but I don't know about working out for the sole purpose of an interview...hopefully you do it because it makes you feel better. I feel miserable since my shoulder injury and lack of lifting...I get my weight up to a good range and then bam..something happens and I drop back down.

I was morbidly obese when I interviewed and had no problems. Of course, I made sure to dress in a nicely tailored suit for me.

It is much more of a hinderance if you are inarticulate.

That being said....It is always a good idea to get healthy. For those of you who have never been heavy, please note that not all diets and regimens work for everyone. Some people's systems are much more resistant and they are just now starting to learn the pathophysiology behind this. You will learn this when you get to medical school. After almost 20 years of dealing with weight issues, I had a gastric bypass and have been exercising 6 days a week. Even then with a diet under 500 calories plus a daily 30 minute routine that burns 200+ calories, the weight still is not coming off as fast as I would have hoped (40 pounds in about two months post-surg).

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
I went to my interviews smelling of cigarette smoke... I dont think it hurt me

Did you even have an interview yet? I'm a little suspicious of you... :sleep:

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
Yes I did... and I'm going to school next year... and I still smoke

Let me guess... You are either going to Johns Hopkins or Harvard... :sleep:

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
damnit... i actually facilitated you getting 500! I'm a failure. :(

What school are you going to? Yale... :sleep:

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
Did you blue yourself too?

You should be concerned about your weight if you are interviewing or not.

Med students at my school run the gammut from Greek deities to morbidly obese. I will say that parts of third year are extremely physically demanding so it would behoove you to get in as good of shape as you can. Standing for 6 hours during surgery is hard when you're at ideal body weight. Hell, anatomy can even be a bit of a stress on the old body.

vtucci said:
After almost 20 years of dealing with weight issues, I had a gastric bypass and have been exercising 6 days a week. Even then with a diet under 500 calories plus a daily 30 minute routine that burns 200+ calories, the weight still is not coming off as fast as I would have hoped (40 pounds in about two months post-surg).

I used to be ridiculously heavy (4 yrs ago - I was 90 lbs heavier). I was able to lose the weight (35 lbs in 3 months) simply by doing the stair master or treadmill for long periods...40 mins minimum up to 1.5 hrs in one session. I'm not an expert, but 30 minutes doesn't seem to be long enough - and if you are still overweight, what activity are you doing for 30 minutes that only burns 200 calories? That sounds like it would be an exceptionally slow walk, but correct me if I'm wrong here. Even at my current weight, I burn 350 calories in 20 mins on the stairmaster (not the manliest workout machine, but it clearly gets the job done).

Getting closer

Boston College and MIT! But will you perform "You're A Bad, Bad, Man" from Annie Get Your Gun for us?

vtucci said:
I was morbidly obese when I interviewed and had no problems. Of course, I made sure to dress in a nicely tailored suit for me.

It is much more of a hinderance if you are inarticulate.

That being said....It is always a good idea to get healthy. For those of you who have never been heavy, please note that not all diets and regimens work for everyone. Some people's systems are much more resistant and they are just now starting to learn the pathophysiology behind this. You will learn this when you get to medical school. After almost 20 years of dealing with weight issues, I had a gastric bypass and have been exercising 6 days a week. Even then with a diet under 500 calories plus a daily 30 minute routine that burns 200+ calories, the weight still is not coming off as fast as I would have hoped (40 pounds in about two months post-surg).
Listen, you're doing yourself a HUGE disservice with the above outlined [so called] fitness/health program. I would recommend hiring a professional. Eating that few calories your making yoru body hold on to every bit of fat you have! You're eating what is approximately 1/3 to 1/4 of most peoples basal metabolic rate, not even accounting for energy expenditure! That's just dangerous.

Please, please, please do yourself a favor and hire someone to work with you. You're literally hurting yourself.

I do a lot of fitness/health counseling for a (part time) living. I personally would not be able to take in someone such as yourself because you're a challenging case, and likewise, you need to be very concious of who you work with. Do your research.

The one thing I can GUARANTEE you is this: you're hurting yourself doing what you're doing.

mam4993 said:
Boston College and MIT! But will you perform "You're A Bad, Bad, Man" from Annie Get Your Gun for us?

Is there an open-audition for the role of Annie? You know, in classical theater men played all roles, including those of women.

SoupWithAFork said:
Is it bad to be too skinny? :(

I suggest an Einstein hairdo.

Just tell them that it looks better relatively speaking. :D
-Dr. P.

I'm working on losing 10 pounds before interview season. Couldn't hurt. :)
That way my 8's will fit me just perfect instead of being a little tight.

I lost nearly 15 lbs and 4 dress sizes in the course of about 3 months a couple years ago just because I went from extremely depressed to happy. Well, that and my mom was trying to lose weight, so she went through this big health food craze, where everything had huge amounts of fiber, and whole wheat and whatnot. But I think the happy thing really helped more than that. And apparently I'm still losing inches because my stepmom and her family comments every time I go see them, which is about twice a year. *shrugs*

Dr.TobiasFünke said:

I'm still sad that Arrested Development is no more :(

tncekm said:
Listen, you're doing yourself a HUGE disservice with the above outlined [so called] fitness/health program. I would recommend hiring a professional. Eating that few calories your making yoru body hold on to every bit of fat you have! You're eating what is approximately 1/3 to 1/4 of most peoples basal metabolic rate, not even accounting for energy expenditure! That's just dangerous.

Please, please, please do yourself a favor and hire someone to work with you. You're literally hurting yourself.

I do a lot of fitness/health counseling for a (part time) living. I personally would not be able to take in someone such as yourself because you're a challenging case, and likewise, you need to be very concious of who you work with. Do your research.

The one thing I can GUARANTEE you is this: you're hurting yourself doing what you're doing.

this person had gastric bypass so if they were to eat more calories i think it would probably cause them to throw up etc.

To the OP: My original plan was to lose weight. One never knows if one will face discrimination or not so i figured I better lose weight to be safe. But it isn't working out. I don't have time to exercise because of the kids and I can't do it through diet alone because I grew up with an anorexic mother and I'm all screwed up. I am going to try to find the most flattering suit possible and possibly seek the aid of bodyshaping devices. I think by next summer the kids will be old enough that I can get away. I find if I work out an hour to an hour and a half 4 or 5 times a week I can lose weight. :luck: to all the chubby pre-meds! chub rules! :thumbup: (see my avatar for proof :) )