This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know there are threads about this, but I'd like some advice from people around here.

I'm not the best standardized test taker. Got an 1800/2400 on the SAT etc.

I really want to go into medicine. I enjoy the field, etc. I love science.

I just have really bad anxiety. Like, waiting for grades on exams, TAKING exams, etc.

Not sure what to do...

Sometimes I think PA might be better because, much less school, much less debt, less autonomy (always working under a physician)

I just don't know if being a physician is for me... I think that within your twenties you earn six figures as a PA, and you earn that much more than someone who went to medical school who gave up their twenties and a good amount of their thirties + didnt earn much during those years.

Obviously, the person will eventually catch up and make more than you but...

I just feel like PA is so much less stress. You can earn six figures in your mid twenties, have a good life, and even run a business at the side to make money.

Not sure what to do. Not sure if I'm saying all of this because i'm legitimately stressed and scared of exams or if I genuinely want to be a PA.

@Goro
@gonnif
@jm192
@21Rush12
@LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

So, I know there are threads about this, but I'd like some advice from people around here.

I just have really bad anxiety. Like, waiting for grades on exams, TAKING exams, etc.

Not sure what to do...

Sometimes I think PA might be better because, much less school, much less debt, less autonomy (always working under a physician)

I just don't know if being a physician is for me... I think that within your twenties you earn six figures as a PA, and you earn that much more than someone who went to medical school who gave up their twenties and a good amount of their thirties + didnt earn much during those years.

I just feel like PA is so much less stress. You can earn six figures in your mid twenties, have a good life, and even run a business at the side to make money.

Not sure what to do. Not sure if I'm saying all of this because i'm legitimately stressed and scared of exams or if I genuinely want to be a PA.

@Goro
@gonnif
@jm192
@21Rush12
@LizzyM
You have to take exams in PA school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not sure what to do...

@Goro
@gonnif
@jm192
@21Rush12
@LizzyM
Never take counsel of your fears.

Exam taking anxiety issues are fixable. But you do need to get this fixed before going to med school, period.

Personally, after seeing what my students (and SDNers) have to go through, I'd tell my own kids to go PA. Just don't be one of those who don't know what they don't know.

Reactions: 1 users
Never take counsel of your fears.

Exam taking anxiety issues are fixable. But you do need to get this fixed before going to med school, period.

Personally, after seeing what my students (and SDNers) have to go through, I'd tell my own kids to go PA. Just don't be one of those who don't know what they don't know.

What do you mean "counsel of my fears"? I get that they're fixable and yes they do need to be fixed before med school.

Honestly, PA seems like an excellent option. You make six figures, you're not held as liable as the physician, less school, less debt, less STRESS

What do you mean "counsel of my fears"? I get that they're fixable and yes they do need to be fixed before med school.

Honestly, PA seems like an excellent option. You make six figures, you're not held as liable as the physician, less school, less debt, less STRESS
If I have to explain.....

What do you enjoy doing in the field? Have you shadowed to see what different specialties/PAs do/focus on a day to day basis? I feel like making that decision just because you were scared of exams in the moment could lead to bitterness in hindsight. I think you can find your answer through just being thorough.

Reactions: 1 user
You need experience with both professions to understand the precise role each plays and the relationship between the two fields. They sometime play similar roles in patient care, but the PA is always coached by the physician. The real distinction, in my opinion, is the physician's scientific training. If you don't feel the need to be scientifically trained and you are okay with the prospect of not having an academic component to your career, be a PA.

Just remember, when you are 50+ years old and 20+ years into your PA career, you will still be taking orders from some physician in their late 20's

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't alter my career over test anxiety. I think everyone has it to an extent, some more than others. I've been very nervous going into tests. I've had tests where I didn't know the first 3 or 4 and started to panic. I think the more standardized tests you take, the easier it gets.

Not sure what to do...

@Goro
@gonnif
@jm192
@21Rush12
@LizzyM
I dealt with a lot of the same fears and worry/doubt that you are probably dealing with (I have suffered from anxiety for most of my life). That's the reason I chose Pharmacy initially, only two years of undergrad and four years of professional school. Then I started to think long and hard about what I would do if I had all the time in the world to do it, and I felt like I would be depriving myself of what I really wanted if I didn't at least try for my MD/DO.

Don't let your worries control your future. Go as far as you can in what you feel you want to do, and you will have done the right thing!

Reactions: 1 user
I dealt with a lot of the same fears and worry/doubt that you are probably dealing with (I have suffered from anxiety for most of my life). That's the reason I chose Pharmacy initially, only two years of undergrad and four years of professional school. Then I started to think long and hard about what I would do if I had all the time in the world to do it, and I felt like I would be depriving myself of what I really wanted if I didn't at least try for my MD/DO.

Don't let your worries control your future. Go as far as you can in what you feel you want to do, and you will have done the right thing!

Yeah it’s what I want to do. I’m just so scared