Pacific U - Roll Call and Info thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I would like to add to your thread! I will be applying to Pacific for 2008-2009. After reading about Pacific on their website and talking to Vanessa Dillman via email, I have decided that Pacific is my first choice in pharmacy schools, followed by OSU. I have also noticed how enthusiastic and friendly the staff is at Pacific, and it seems like and exciting enviornment to learn in. I will also be attending the open house in September! I can't wait to check it out! Anybody from Portland, OR attending? Should we start a pre-pacific club?? :)

GPA: 3.8
Pharm Experience: Technician
Volunteer Hours: 275

Members don't see this ad.

We might be the only posters for a while. Last year there was a decent size of SDNers that applied to Pacific...so as the process gets in full-swing perhaps we'll be joined.

I've finished secondaries to OSU, UCHSC, Pacific, and USC. I submitted Pharmcas to UCSD, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the $100 on the secondary. The Cali schools are not really high on my list - I can't afford to live in LA or San Diego!!

Many people are taking advantage of the online application. I was talking with Sue Stein a couple days ago and she said that Pacific had already received over 100 applications and was estimating around 1000+ by the end of the cycle based on those figures.

Hey,

I would like to add to your thread! I will be applying to Pacific for 2008-2009. After reading about Pacific on their website and talking to Vanessa Dillman via email, I have decided that Pacific is my first choice in pharmacy schools, followed by OSU. I have also noticed how enthusiastic and friendly the staff is at Pacific, and it seems like and exciting enviornment to learn in. I will also be attending the open house in September! I can't wait to check it out! Anybody from Portland, OR attending? Should we start a pre-pacific club?? :)

Wooh, you stat rocks! I wish you the best in your application and I hope to see you at the open house. Happy holiday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people are taking advantage of the online application. I was talking with Sue Stein a couple days ago and she said that Pacific had already received over 100 applications and was estimating around 1000+ by the end of the cycle based on those figures.

suddenly my 3.60 overall, 3.66 pre req, and 3.91 last 45 doesn't seem so good :( Hopefully I can grab some marks for being a nice guy... hahah - I'm still looking for that portion of the application.

~above~

suddenly my 3.60 overall, 3.66 pre req, and 3.91 last 45 doesn't seem so good :( Hopefully I can grab some marks for being a nice guy... hahah - I'm still looking for that portion of the application.

~above~

To add some words of encouragement:

I just started volunteering at a local hospital, and the tech who was training me just started at Pacific. He said he had applied to Oregon State three years in a row, with no luck, most likely due to his relatively low GPA (he said 3.0-3.3ish). However, he got into Pacific this year, and attributed it to his experience in pharmacy. He had been a tech for 5+ years. Above, I know you have more pharmacy experience than I do, and Pacific places huge emphasis on that. Your stats are good, and combined with your experience in a pharmacy (and in life in general), you are a great candidate. No matter what anyone's stats are, its going to be hard to get in when 1 in 10 applicants will be accepted. Don't be discouraged by at 3.6 though!!! It is a great GPA, and you have more than just school under your belt!

hey everyone. I am ready to start my pacific application. I have a question for you. Can it be done off-line? Or does it have to all be done online? I don't have internet access at home so I'm wondering if I can work on it there or if I'll have to be at work, school, or the library. please advise. thanks:)

hey everyone. I am ready to start my pacific application. I have a question for you. Can it be done off-line? Or does it have to all be done online? I don't have internet access at home so I'm wondering if I can work on it there or if I'll have to be at work, school, or the library. please advise. thanks:)

You can fill out the PDF version and mail it in. The application says the online version is preferred, but as long as it has all the information, I'm sure a hard copy will be ok. Maybe email Vanessa explaining you don't have regular internet access, so you'll be sending in a hard copy; I'm sure they will understand!

You can fill out the PDF version and mail it in. The application says the online version is preferred, but as long as it has all the information, I'm sure a hard copy will be ok. Maybe email Vanessa explaining you don't have regular internet access, so you'll be sending in a hard copy; I'm sure they will understand!

She is absolutely correct... Double check with Vanessa just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the kind words Pharm - Its amazing how more exposure to life changes your outlook. At my CC, I was definitely tops in all of my classes. Here at UF - every student is top knotch. I honestly thought I looked good before - but w/o a BS (I have about 4 semesters left) I truly am a long shot - Somethings are just difficult to accept, but I pride myself on being a realist. I may have to wait a couple of years before matriculating. Im not down and out just yet -but I am a little more sober.

I'll definitely be stepping up to bat regardless...

~above~

thanks for the advice guys. I just sent Vanessa an e-mail. Anyone else have any advice on this matter or experience as to whether the application can be done off-line?

one other thought/question?

I have heard Pacific patterned their program after USN. When evaluating applicants USN give student's bonus points for having their pre-requisites complete and having their bachelor's degree. Anyone know if Pacific does this?

one other thought/question?

I have heard Pacific patterned their program after USN. When evaluating applicants USN give student's bonus points for having their pre-requisites complete and having their bachelor's degree. Anyone know if Pacific does this?

I don't know about that but I will be glad to find out for ya.
Cheers!

I don't know about that but I will be glad to find out for ya.
Cheers!

that would be great. Also, do you know of anyone who got in that had pre-reqs over seven years old? I have some. I know they recommend all pre-reqs to be done within seven years of the date of application

that would be great. Also, do you know of anyone who got in that had pre-reqs over seven years old? I have some. I know they recommend all pre-reqs to be done within seven years of the date of application

Hello there,
I just talked to the admission director and this is what she has to say.
Yes, our program is so much similar lika that of USN. Having a bachelors degree makes you more competitive but it is not required so long as you have your required pre-requisites.

As regards the getting your pre-reqs done within seven years, it is recommended but not required.

That reminds me, are you coming for the open house? Please let me know. I will be glad to answer any question you have and the one I don't know I will contact the faculty for an answer. I am a member of the School of Pharmacy Ambassador club and I am here to answer all your questions.
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Hey,
are you coming for the open house? Just curious!

Danny - I'll be at the open house next week. I'm looking forward to it.

This might seem random, but I've been wondering. How should I dress for the event? I don't want to be in a suit as if its an interview, but don't want to appear too casual either. Do you think business-casual? Its so much easier for guys - slack/khakis and a nice shirt. Sometimes I hate being a girl!

~above~

Hey, don't let the applicant numbers scare ya, your stats are great and you are definitely into the school and that makes all the difference during the interviews. I think the Pacific admissions staff goes out of their way to pick out those who have a genuine interest in attending the school vs. those who are applying just to cover their bases. You're in great shape, don't sweat it!

...now back to studying for the first assesment :eek:

This might seem random, but I've been wondering. How should I dress for the event? I don't want to be in a suit as if its an interview, but don't want to appear too casual either. Do you think business-casual? Its so much easier for guys - slack/khakis and a nice shirt. Sometimes I hate being a girl!

It's an open house meet and greet, so it's not formal. However, I personally believe that since it is a professional program it's always best to dress in a "professional" manner at these type of events. How casual "professional" is depends on individual personality.

Danny and Pharm - if you could, please post your opinions/thoughts on the open house - I really wanted to be able to attend, but oregon is a stretch on poor Florida student's budget. It doesn't have to be a blow by blow - just any thing you think was cool or important or simply rubbed you the wrong way.

Thanks,

~above~

Danny and Pharm - if you could, please post your opinions/thoughts on the open house - I really wanted to be able to attend, but oregon is a stretch on poor Florida student's budget. It doesn't have to be a blow by blow - just any thing you think was cool or important or simply rubbed you the wrong way.

Thanks,

~above~

Will do! Its a week from today, so I'll probably post next Friday.

Did you get your app in? I just "pushed the button" on Monday.

Hey, don't let the applicant numbers scare ya, your stats are great and you are definitely into the school and that makes all the difference during the interviews. I think the Pacific admissions staff goes out of their way to pick out those who have a genuine interest in attending the school vs. those who are applying just to cover their bases. You're in great shape, don't sweat it!

...now back to studying for the first assesment :eek:

good info.
thanks.

It is all about impression. I suggest you dress coperate since that will speak volume when u get to meet with the faculty. Business casual might do for now. This is just my opinion and I hope you will be able to make the right decisions.
However,if i am in your shoes, i will dress professionally.
Cheers! and i hope that answers your question. I will see you then.

Thanks,

~above~

Yeah, sounds like a long distance I believe. However, you need to consider these factors below to help you make a decision.

1. Availability of fund.
2. You are less busy and could do that without interupting other prior schedules
3. you really need to get to meet with the inuagral class and the faculty
4. Meeting with the faculty will make you feel less uneasy during interview.

In any case, if u get to make it and need a place to crash for the night, let me know.

Cheers! and remember to turn your appl. in good time.

Yeah, sounds like a long distance I believe. However, you need to consider these factors below to help you make a decision.

1. Availability of fund.
2. You are less busy and could do that without interupting other prior schedules
3. you really need to get to meet with the inuagral class and the faculty
4. Meeting with the faculty will make you feel less uneasy during interview.

In any case, if u get to make it and need a place to crash for the night, let me know.

Cheers! and remember to turn your appl. in good time.

That is very thoughtful of you Danny - I definitely do not have the availability of funds right now, So I wont be able to attend. It would have been nice to go, but its ok. I am still waiting on my LOR's from Orlando - I have a football game and a huge microbio test on monday - so maybe I can just have them mail it to me. At anyrate - I will still have my app submitted and there by oct 1st - hell or high water (if ya know what I mean). Ok - time for note cards - take care.

~above~

For those who've submitted their applications, have you guys heard anything back from Pacific University?

Not yet. I'm starting to worry. I mailed my packet with delivery confirmation, so I know it was received 9/5, but I still haven't heard anything directly from Pacific. How about you?

I just mailed my yesterday.:eek:

Not yet. I'm starting to worry. I mailed my packet with delivery confirmation, so I know it was received 9/5, but I still haven't heard anything directly from Pacific. How about you?

Hello,
I want to assure you that the admission office is working relentlessly to get things going. Just hang in there and you will hear from them soon. I could check tomorrow with Vanessa. I suggest you write an e-mail to Vanessa and then I will follow up on that and I hope that helps.

If there are other questions you think a student could help you with, please feel free to contact me. Again, if you need a kind of big brother/big sister mentor from the current class, then PM me with your name and e-mail address and I will assign some one to you who will follow you up till you come for your interview and after the interview.

Pacific University School of Pharmacy rocks! The attention students get there is outstanding. Please let me know if there is anything I will do to assist you some more and that goes to any one reading this thread.

Unfortunately no. I'm in San Deigo. Have fun and make sure to report back to us anything that is interesting.:thumbup:

Pharm - Have you called Vanessa to confirm they have indeed received your stuff???

I could check tomorrow with Vanessa. I suggest you write an e-mail to Vanessa and then I will follow up on that and I hope that helps.

I emailed yesterday, and she said to be patient, I should receive an email from Vicki Simmons once they process my app. I guess its only been a week, but its just scary when you put so much of yourself and your future into a large envelope and send it away!

I emailed yesterday, and she said to be patient, I should receive an email from Vicki Simmons once they process my app. I guess its only been a week, but its just scary when you put so much of yourself and your future into a large envelope and send it away!

Are you trying to say Pacific is your #1 Pharm ;) I thought Vanessa might say something like that. Hopefully they wont get too many apps - I think 200 to 300 for the first batch is steep enough. I called my deliquent professor today and pretty much begged him to straight mail it to me seald with his signature. Hopefully I can get it, put it in the big envelope, and send it out 1st class express God-speed Super Duper pritority mail the same day.

How is everyone else doing? Tennis - did you send in your app yet?

Are you trying to say Pacific is your #1 Pharm ;)

Well, I kept going back and forth about different programs, but then I decided it was futile. My #1 school is the one I get into. If I get into more than one, I can play the "which is my favorite" game. I do have to say, however, that I REALLY like the idea of going to Pacific!

Well, I kept going back and forth about different programs, but then I decided it was futile. My #1 school is the one I get into. If I get into more than one, I can play the "which is my favorite" game. I do have to say, however, that I REALLY like the idea of going to Pacific!

Im just playing - I think just about everyone feels the same way... but it sure would be nice to be accepted to Pacific...

~above~

:( So...today Pacific is having their Open House. Its not an interview, its just an open house...but membership to dear SDN has made me obsessed with admissions, so I'm all nervous and weird about this event. I was concerned about what to wear (not wanted to overdo it with a full suit ensemble, but not wanting to be unprofessional either) and finally decided on suit pants and a nice tailored shirt. Great, good, fine.

At my lunch break I decided to walk to get some pizza. Note: I live in Oregon, and I should've known better. It starts pouring down rain. Now I know this might seem an exaggeration. Most rain in Oregon is a pleasant drizzle. But it was pouring. I finally got to an open doorway and might nice tailored shirt was soaked through completely. And it was white.

Considering I take public transportation and have to work until 4:30pm...there's no way for me to get home and change. Maybe Pacific will have another open house...

hey, it is all good. We are all prepared for your guys and don't wanna miss it. see you today.

Hey guys,

The open house is only a few hours away! I'm so excited to check out Pacific that I took the whole day off of work to get ready! To respond to all the people inquiring about dress code, I will be dressing business casual.

My stats are good, but I still have two years of prereqs, and I'm not applying until 2008, if anybody was wondering about that above post. My current gpa is 3.8 with 64 quarter credits. I do expect to have above a 3.8 when I apply, and I feel very well prepared to finish strong.

Just about all of my volunteer experience is working with the disabled. This has included tasks related to pharmacy like maintaining their medication schedule and making sure they are getting the proper meds and in the correct dosage. It has also given me a good insight of what it's like to live with a disability, and how important a role medication plays in maintaining a good quality of life for many people. The ability to help people in this way is a wonderful thing we will all be doing after graduation.

I am getting ready to start part time employment as a pharmacy technician in retail, and volunteer in a hospital setting. I also want to job shadow in research. I think this well-rounded approach will best help me understand what it's like to work as a pharmacist.

I would love to meet with all you who are attending the open house! Maybe we can all start a pre-pharmacy Pacific University email group or something like that. My name is Robert, and I'll see you all there!!!

:( So...today Pacific is having their Open House. Its not an interview, its just an open house...but membership to dear SDN has made me obsessed with admissions, so I'm all nervous and weird about this event. I was concerned about what to wear (not wanted to overdo it with a full suit ensemble, but not wanting to be unprofessional either) and finally decided on suit pants and a nice tailored shirt. Great, good, fine.

At my lunch break I decided to walk to get some pizza. Note: I live in Oregon, and I should've known better. It starts pouring down rain. Now I know this might seem an exaggeration. Most rain in Oregon is a pleasant drizzle. But it was pouring. I finally got to an open doorway and might nice tailored shirt was soaked through completely. And it was white.

Considering I take public transportation and have to work until 4:30pm...there's no way for me to get home and change. Maybe Pacific will have another open house...

In the end - I dont think it matters what clothes you wear - just let your personality shine through - Be open and honest and the rest will fall into place.

~above~

In the end - I dont think it matters what clothes you wear - just let your personality shine through - Be open and honest and the rest will fall into place.

~above~

I'm fine with my personality shining through...just don't want my underwear shining through my wet white shirt. Pretty sure there isn't a wet t-shirt contest on the schedule!:scared:

No, I'm dry now, so fine. But still...

Ok - its 11 PM on the east coast - which makes it 8 in the west right??? Let us know how the open house went when you guys/gals get a chance - thanks

~above~

The Pacific open house was great! I feel like I really got to know the school. I also understand the application process better. It was awesome to actually tour the building and get an understanding of what it's like to be a pharmacy student at Pacific. The staff definetly held to their reputation; they all seemed really excited about their new program. I look forward to applying next year!!!

Robert

question: was Sue saying that they'd have 1000 by Oct 1st or by Dec 1st? I will just meet the Oct 1st deadline and hope to get an interview towards the end of October or first part of November:) let's cross our fingers:)

anyone care to share the secrets they learned from the Open house? Anything you learned that can't be found by just Sdn or Pacific's website?
wish I had the time and $ to have gone!

question: was Sue saying that they'd have 1000 by Oct 1st or by Dec 1st? I will just meet the Oct 1st deadline and hope to get an interview towards the end of October or first part of November:) let's cross our fingers:)

anyone care to share the secrets they learned from the Open house? Anything you learned that can't be found by just Sdn or Pacific's website?

Thanks Robert for your opinion on the open house. Your stats definitely look good - Its thinking ahead and preparing for the future that puts people ahead of the pack, and I think that's what you are doing. What did everyone else think of the open house?

~above~

how long are your essays for the application? these darn essays are the bane of my existence:) just joking:)

how long are your essays for the application? these darn essays are the bane of my existence:) just joking:)

My essays were on the moderate to short end of the spectrum. I dont believe in needing a whole lot of words to convey my intentions. My "reason for pharmacy" essay was 4 paragraphs. I think my "priorities" essay was shorter. both were around one page typed - dont over think them. Just make sure that when someone reads your essay - they can get a notion of how you feel. At least that is what I did with mine.

~above~

My essays were on the moderate to short end of the spectrum. I dont believe in needing a whole lot of words to convey my intentions. My "reason for pharmacy" essay was 4 paragraphs. I think my "priorities" essay was shorter. both were around one page typed - dont over think them. Just make sure that when someone reads your essay - they can get a notion of how you feel. At least that is what I did with mine.

~above~

~above~
thanks for the insight. anyone else have thoughts on this?

I also redirect to the prior questioning...
question: was Sue saying that they'd have 1000 by Oct 1st or by Dec 1st? I will just meet the Oct 1st deadline and hope to get an interview towards the end of October or first part of November let's cross our fingers

Sorry I didn't post last night. The open house ended later than I expected, so by the time I took mass transit home, it was past my bedtime!

Overall it was very well run, and a very good insight into the program. I'm not going to try to convey everything that happened, but I will focus on a few things I think would be helpful.

As far as admissions go, they really emphasize finding people that fit the program. Even if you have the best stats, they want you to be a good match for their program and attitudes. It is an extremely student-centered program, as all of the faculty and students emphasizes many many times last night. Before your interview, KNOW the mission statement, and maybe refer to it (subtly at least). Pacific really is looking for more than just numbers...they're looking for the right fit for them.

The learning environment is team-based. Each exam (which you have to pass with 90% to continue) is completed by the student alone, and then again with their team of 6. If the individual gets an 85% and the team gets a 95%, that extra 5% can go to the individual exam so that student can pass. So your team is a huge part of your academic success. Faculty don't focus on research, they focus on teaching, as the institution in general does not have much research going on.

G, to answer your question, Vanessa said they had 400 online applications started so far (not completed), and I think she said they expected 1000 in total, so by Dec 1.

For people still working on prerequisites, she made your chances sound pretty shaky if you didn't have at least one course of O-Chem and A&P (shoot!!!) finished and on your transcripts with a grade already.

What else?? The building was very cool, but it is OUT THERE in terms of proximity to Portland. Also riding public transport home at 9pm from that area was somewhat sketchy. In fact, I'm pretty sure the people in front of me were high on meth, then got a lighter out I think were about to start smoking it, but I moved.

Ok my post is long, I'll try to think of other things and post as I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.