Paid International Internships Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm really interested in spending my summer abroad doing an internship in any field that would be of value to someone wanting to go into the medical field.

The problem is most of the programs I'm finding are not paid AND you have to pay a very large fee to even participate.

Does anyone know of any programs that pay you or at least accomadate you? Is this even a thing? It doesn't have to be medical - i.e research, teaching, working with the less fortunate, camps, etc.

Thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to do this internationally? There is a stigma over voluntourism, I can't see this as being much better unless you have a specific reason for the work and location.

There are programs like this: http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convoca...torias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.html ... that pay (not very much from what I recall, but barely livable) you to teach English/help in classrooms/culture exchange in certain areas. This one is particular is put on by the "Spanish Ministry of Education in collaboration with the Spanish Comunidades Autónomas (regions) and the Education Offices of the Embassies of Spain in the United States and Canada". Wowza, that was a long one. There may be analogous programs in other countries. Note: this is not glamorous. My friend did the program because she's a Spanish major who fell in love with Spain when she studied there. She was placed in a rural community, worked long and hard hours, lived in isolation from peers her own age, but learned a great deal. There were good weeks and bad weeks. If you go for some of these programs, you often don't have a say in where you're placed. Any research program is bound to be ultra competitive, but a friend of mine randomly emailed a PI who had some papers she found interesting who lived in England, and she ended up working there paid all summer. Just do some digging.

Reactions: 1 user
There are programs like this: http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convoca...torias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.html ... that pay (not very much from what I recall, but barely livable) you to teach English/help in classrooms/culture exchange in certain areas. This one is particular is put on by the "Spanish Ministry of Education in collaboration with the Spanish Comunidades Autónomas (regions) and the Education Offices of the Embassies of Spain in the United States and Canada". Wowza, that was a long one. There may be analogous programs in other countries. Note: this is not glamorous. My friend did the program because she's a Spanish major who fell in love with Spain when she studied there. She was placed in a rural community, worked long and hard hours, lived in isolation from peers her own age, but learned a great deal. There were good weeks and bad weeks. If you go for some of these programs, you often don't have a say in where you're placed. Any research program is bound to be ultra competitive, but a friend of mine randomly emailed a PI who had some papers she found interesting who lived in England, and she ended up working there paid all summer. Just do some digging.

I am currently doing the auxiliar program in Spain. I went through a company that guaranteed my placement in Madrid, but like you said, it can be a completely different experience for everyone depending on where you are/your school/etc. There are also other very similar programs to teach English in other places around the world. If you want to know more about my experience, just message me! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently doing the auxiliar program in Spain. I went through a company that guaranteed my placement in Madrid, but like you said, it can be a completely different experience for everyone depending on where you are/your school/etc. There are also other very similar programs to teach English in other places around the world. If you want to know more about my experience, just message me! :)

Hi Bythelight! Do you know if they offer summer-long programs?

Hi Bythelight! Do you know if they offer summer-long programs?
In Spain, I don't think so. But I think in other locations, yes! The company I went through is CIEE - if you google their teach abroad programs, all of the different options will come up :)

Reactions: 1 users
I think that going abroad is a great idea depending on what you want to accomplish. I shadowed physicians abroad and on top of seeing what the pros and cons are of universal healthcare, you also learn how to work with people that have a different background from you. You develop better people skills and become more culturally sensitive. If you can find someone to shadow or to mentor you it's a great way to grow and go outside your comfort zone. But it's difficult to find a paid position, unless you do something like teaching English at a university.

I'll second the CIEE recommendation, it's a well known organization for english teaching. But from what I understand, if you're an undergrad you won't be eligible for a paid position, only volunteering.