Paid Research Programs (open to Masters/PhD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the best sub-forum to ask this, but I'm currently waiting to hear back from med schools. In the meantime, I would like to get involved in paid research. I have already graduated from university. Does anyone know of any programs that are open to people that want to do medicine but are willing to work hard in a lab until admission?

Members don't see this ad.

I presume you want employment as a research assistant and not as a research subject. Most academic medical centers employ research assistants. If you live within commuting distance of one or more medical schools, check it out. Most of this employment is through the university/medical school HR office, not the hospital HR office. Some jobs may be at a bench and some may be desk jobs working the data collection, recruiting, appointment scheduling, and regulatory paperwork related to human subjects research. Veterans Administration Medical Centers also employ research assistants in their labs; getting employed by the federal government can be a more arduous task for obvious reasons.

You should assume that you will not be admitted to medical school in this cycle and that you will continue working through 2019 and beyond. It might be wise not to volunteer information about your application to medical school as you may be less likely to be hired if someone expects you to leave next summer. Is this dishonest when the overall odds of getting a med school seat are <50%? Some people think so and some disagree. I think that it makes about as much sense as telling a prospective employer that you buy lottery tickets and will quit if your numbers hit.

Reactions: 1 users
I presume you want employment as a research assistant and not as a research subject. Most academic medical centers employ research assistants. If you live within commuting distance of one or more medical schools, check it out. Most of this employment is through the university/medical school HR office, not the hospital HR office. Some jobs may be at a bench and some may be desk jobs working the data collection, recruiting, appointment scheduling, and regulatory paperwork related to human subjects research. Veterans Administration Medical Centers also employ research assistants in their labs; getting employed by the federal government can be a more arduous task for obvious reasons.

You should assume that you will not be admitted to medical school in this cycle and that you will continue working through 2019 and beyond. It might be wise not to volunteer information about your application to medical school as you may be less likely to be hired if someone expects you to leave next summer. Is this dishonest when the overall odds of getting a med school seat are <50%? Some people think so and some disagree. I think that it makes about as much sense as telling a prospective employer that you buy lottery tickets and will quit if your numbers hit.

I have applied hundreds of these positions, but none of them have panned out. You make a good point about not volunteering the information, though. It's not something that they necessarily need to know, especially since it's not even a sure thing yet.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you applied for a postbac fellowship at the NIH?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Have you applied for a postbac fellowship at the NIH?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Actually, looks like it's too late for this year. The minimum contract is 9 months, and if I was to start this process, I should have started 6-9 months ago. Apparently the latest start date is in October if it's just for one year. On the other hand, if I was to start, and not get into med school this cycle, then I would be fine because I would easily surpass the 9 month mark. It's not the most flexible option at this point.

You could try finding a lab you think you're interested in and emailing to ask if you could shadow their research assistants for a couple days and attend a couple lab meetings. During that time, evaluate the day to day work of the RAs. Is that what you're looking for? Does that match your goals for the experience in terms of the money, skills, and opportunities etc that you're looking for? Are the RAs given opportunities, or are they treated like permanent worker bees?

Most importantly, evaluate the character of the PI. Is the PI reasonably kind to the RAs? Offer mentoring, training, opportunities, etc to the RAs? How does the PI react when somebody makes a mistake?

Someone working for a tyrannical PI once told me to pick the lab based on the PI, not the research they're working on. If you care about the research, maybe try to pick the lab based on both.

If you like what you see, ask if you can volunteer. If what you really want is a job, ask the PI beforehand if they might need a new RA within the next X months. After some months, they might hire you.

If you don't like what you see, move on and restart process with new lab.

Alternatively, you could always just find a job that doesn't unofficially require pledging (I.e. volunteering).

Reactions: 2 users
Choosing a PI who allows for flexible work hours, is supportive of your endeavors, and is invested in mentoring you even if you aren't a graduate student is huge. Being allowed to participate in decision making, and making those connections is probably more important for your development than doing sexy research at a prestigious lab. Anyone can learn a technique with time.

But I'll be honest, no one is going to want to employ an RA for a year. it will take a year before a research assistant becomes useful. There are thousands of science majors who are going to be around longer than 9 months. Why would anyone bother to hire you?

If you want a short-term gap year job work in retail.

Reactions: 1 users