Dr Grant

5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Sorry if this has been addressed recently, but I didn't see anything recent. Where would one find these supposed ASRA pain exam questions I've seen discussed in the past? Is that still what people would recommend? If not, what resource(s) would you use to study for it? Thanks.

ragnathor

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Board vitals qbank > painexam.com

Dannemiller videos pretty good as well.

Reactions: Dr Grant

clubdeac

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
So a buddy sent me the pdf of the dannemiller lectures. I downloaded it to my computer and noticed it was 1457 pages!! I'm seriously feeling overwhelmed and have no idea how in the world I'm going to get through even a fraction of it. Plus I prefer to make notes on paper but the thought of printing out 1457 pages makes me nauseous. Any suggestions/tips for studying?? This sucks

tmvguy03

7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2011
Status
Medical Student
So a buddy sent me the pdf of the dannemiller lectures. I downloaded it to my computer and noticed it was 1457 pages!! I'm seriously feeling overwhelmed and have no idea how in the world I'm going to get through even a fraction of it. Plus I prefer to make notes on paper but the thought of printing out 1457 pages makes me nauseous. Any suggestions/tips for studying?? This sucks
You've been taking exams your whole adult life and have been successful- this will be no different, do some qbanks and maybe a board review book and you'll be fine.

willabeast

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Suggest the following. divide 1457 by the number of days you have left before the exam. take that number and study/read that many pages every day until you finish. If 1457 is too big a number for you, obtain a source that is smaller. YMMV.

Reactions: clubdeac

hyperalgesia

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Print double sided? ;)

Ducttape

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
video or audio. listen while driving to and from work.

and in evening while S.O. is watching latest Nicolas Sparks book made in to a movie...

wolfiemd

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
where can you get the Dannemiller lectures?

ragnathor

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
video or audio. listen while driving to and from work.

and in evening while S.O. is watching latest Nicolas Sparks book made in to a movie...
This. The PDF slides are varying in quality and are not high-yield without the accompanying video or audio.

I simply listened to the lectures while commuting and while seeing the slides would've helped some, the audio is good enough.

Last edited:

painfree23

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
Can u send it here please? Been lookin for the pdf

oreosandsake

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dannemiller is great... but not all the videos are meaningful to the exam.

Yaksh lectures are interesting, and some of it comes up. fiber types, myelination etc
Candido talks on sympathetically mediated pain
Rana talks on peds/OB minor points

ASA Questions were helpful and free online. Boardvitals is good for your own knowledge.

Reactions: hyperalgesia

ateria radicularis magna

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2016
You don’t need to read these slides to do well on the exam. You just do a bazillion questions and/or make notecards and you’re golden. If you want to read the slides because you are personally interested, great, but nowhere near necessary.

hyperalgesia

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I think that whatever you study, the exam generally sorts out those who prepare from those who don't.

I thought BoardVitals and PassMachine were disappointingly low yield. But still, if you do enough, you can potentially get enough yield...

Dawkter

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone have a guess as to how many questions are in each of the Q Banks (Board Vitals and Pain Exam)? Thanks!