Palm Beach Atlantic. Living.

Started by srock
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

srock

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where are good areas in West Palm to live if attending PBA? Not having to drive to campus would be a major incentive. Buying a condo or townhouse is also preferable to renting, but not sure we could afford it.

Thanks
 
Where are good areas in West Palm to live if attending PBA? Not having to drive to campus would be a major incentive. Buying a condo or townhouse is also preferable to renting, but not sure we could afford it.

Thanks

I lived in West Palm/Ft Lauderdale for about 15 years. Real estate in Palm Beach County is very high. Especially condos. As far as walking to campus, you have a choice of $3 million condos overlooking the beach or a crack house on the other side of the tracks for $1200/month. Your best bet is to head west to Royal Palm Beach or Greenacres. It's about 10 miles but you get into normal neighborhoods that are relatively reasonable (~250,000 for entry level housing.)
 
Rent is expensive near PBA. However if you look into a neighborhood called the villages it is where most of commuters live. Average 2 bedroom=$1300 per month. Good luck!!🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NO, do not go to Tamarind Avenue!!! That is one of the worst areas in the entire state of Florida along with Liberty City in Miami. That is what the other side of the tracks means. I was born in the West Palm area, and that area actually used to be much worse even back in the 1980s - early 1990s before the Kravis Center and City Place were built.

I would recommend actually going north into Jupiter. The problem is that the traffic is really bad, since it starts the whole Miami area.

I have lived in North Palm Beach, FL, and I think that there are condos at Lighthouse Drive and prosperity farms road that are OK. Also try the condos at Alt. A1A near Lighthouse drive in back of the Publix. This is about 10 miles away as well.
 
My advice was to look in to The Villages near Spencer and Palm Beach lakes...if going to PBA School of Pharmacy living in jupiter is not a good idea. Pharmacy school=sleep deprivation. The last thing a Pharmd student wants is to waste time driving/commuting. GOOD LUCK!😀
 
Another thing. PBA makes you do 100 hours of community service every year and I have heard that they have people intern while they are taking courses. That will add to your large work load.
 
PBA's living expenses were a shocker when I interviewed there. I have some in law family there, and they showed me around.

Rent was pretty recockulous if you wanted anything respectable and near the school
 
PBA's living expenses were a shocker when I interviewed there. I have some in law family there, and they showed me around.

Rent was pretty recockulous if you wanted anything respectable and near the school

Looking around WPB on Zillow and Trulia I agree most housing is expensive but it looks like the housing geared to students is actually cheaper then where I live now (DC metro). The Villages for example are running about $190 for a 2 bed room condo. I guess the rich people want those $2 million water views so this normal housing is in line with other desirable metro areas especially considering food, gas, and taxes are lower then I pay now.

Now I'm more concerned with getting a job. WPB looks deserted as far as industry goes, especially high tech. Closest software engineering job I'm seeing is in Boca-Raton.
 
well, if you're coming from DC it may not seem bad, I was going from Texas, and here in Amarillo (for school only, I swear) I've got a 1055sf 2bd 2bth for 735/month, which is considered expensive here. Different worlds
 
I started this thread in 2007 before my wife began school at PBA. 4 years later, I know everything there is to know about living in West Palm Beach while attending PBA.

And I'm here to help.

One of the ways I can help is by renting my condo to an incoming student or 2 or 3 (maybe).

Reply with questions.
 
You can get a nice one bedroom condo in dowtown WPB (City Place or on Clematis Street) for $1200. The area just north of downtown is a ghetto war zone but the downtown/City Place area is very safe due to the heavy police presence. There are alot of tourists so the city does it's best to make sure those areas are safe. I lived there for one year and I must say it was very nice. You are within walking distance to lots of restaurants, movie theaters, stores and bars.
 
moral of the story: south Florida is an expensive place to live if you are a broke professional student on a budget
 
You can get a nice one bedroom condo in dowtown WPB (City Place or on Clematis Street) for $1200. The area just north of downtown is a ghetto war zone but the downtown/City Place area is very safe due to the heavy police presence. There are alot of tourists so the city does it's best to make sure those areas are safe. I lived there for one year and I must say it was very nice. You are within walking distance to lots of restaurants, movie theaters, stores and bars.

Plug: If you are looking for a bigger unit for the money let me know. 3/2 condo in a new building, for about $1250 a month (negotiable depending on your situation), 2 parking spots so roommate is easy. Partially furnished. Its near Congress and Palm Beach Lakes. I bought it while my wife was a student after the crash, so I'm not a deliquent landlord like so many other units you will try to rent. Speaking of landlords...

Be aware of deliquent landlords! Lots of places are still being foreclosed. When your landlord gets foreclosed, you will (as a renter) get notified by the courts. This could mean a variety of things, but generally its a huge hassle you don't need as a student. Check with the HOA in the building to make sure your potential landlord has been paying thier fees. I know students who have had to move out during the semester due to such problems.

The developments on Congress and Palm Beach Lakes are a more affordable choice then downtown. Cityside town homes have garages and a really nice pool. Everything on Presidential Way inside or outside the golf course community is a good choice. Bigger units at lower prices, which is why I live over here. Walking distance to the new Target, get yoruself a internship at that pharmacy and you are gold.

Downtown is a great place to live for students, but you will pay a lot for the location. Units are small and overpriced, but you can walk to everything, including school. I know people in City Place South Tower and One City Place. Great amenities but small apartments for the money.

The ghetto war zone is pretty far up the road these days, but yes, it does exist. Stay South of Palm Beach Lakes and its not that bad (except for Tamarind by the water treatment plant). Or anywhere West of Australian isn't bad.

If you want a more quiant, old Florida neighborhood, I know a bunch of students who rent houses in the area south of campus. Be aware, there is alot more crime down there then you would expect. Its weird, because one block is expensive mansions and the next is run down. But if your willing to tolerate some crime (a bit of vigilants and you should be fine), take a look at the offerings in this area.
 
I started this thread in 2007 before my wife began school at PBA. 4 years later, I know everything there is to know about living in West Palm Beach while attending PBA.

And I'm here to help.

One of the ways I can help is by renting my condo to an incoming student or 2 or 3 (maybe).

Reply with questions.

Hello, I am planning on going to PBA, and moving there in March of 2012....I will be looking for a place to live with my wife and I. I have 2 WELL BEHAVED dogs....A Maltese, and an English bulldog....Any suggestions would be helpful, if the pets are an issue for your place...
 
Hello, I am planning on going to PBA, and moving there in March of 2012....I will be looking for a place to live with my wife and I. I have 2 WELL BEHAVED dogs....A Maltese, and an English bulldog....Any suggestions would be helpful, if the pets are an issue for your place...

My unit is rented. The building does not allow renters to have dogs unfortunately.

There is a good dog park by the Howard Community Center. If I were looking to rent with 2 dogs, near PBA, this would be the spot. Renting a house in the community southeast of the park is really convenient to PBA. Have an agent show you around. I don't know anyone currently living there.

PM me and I'll send you my realtor contact info.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad