Palm Beach Atlantic University commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7th Heaven

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any current students at PBA commuting from Miami? If so, can you please tell me how it is? I have been accepted to PBA for the fall 2008. I am planning to take the trirail (it is closer to my home and I really don't want to drive 2 hrs). Please let me know how you are commuting?

Members don't see this ad.

The tri-rail actually will take you to my old high-school, the Dreyfoos School of the Arts, which is right across the Kravis Center, where I was valedictorian back in 1999. But I think that it is still not walkable to Palm Beach Atlantic from there. You better make sure that there is a reliable Palm-Tran bus to take you from there to PBA. Also I would not walk by myself on Tamarind Avenue at night. The train station borders on an area about only a half-mile north that is VERY dangerous at night. Either that or you should have a short cab ride (about 1/2 mile).

The traffic is terrible. Driving from Miami to West Palm Beach at rush hour is very bad. Driving late at night is extremely easy though.

Anyway, it will be very tiring commute. Miami to West Palm Beach is probably one of the most populated areas in the country. And it is equivalent to almost the New Jersey turnpike.

Members don't see this ad :)
The tri-rail actually will take you to my old high-school, the Dreyfoos School of the Arts, which is right across the Kravis Center, where I was valedictorian back in 1999.

You are such a tool...here is your cookie

Want_A_Cookie.jpg

Yes, it is a half-mile from the tri-rail station in downtown WPB to PBA. But you would have to walk up Okeechobee Boulevard which is not conducive to pedestrians. Anyway, I think you would need a connecting Palm-Tran bus.

I think there is one: Go to:
http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fares/bus_shuttle/maps/WEST_PALM_MAP.pdf

Thank you so much for the information. I did take the trirail from miami and then at WPB station I took palm-tran bus number 50 to PBA university (just to get an idea of how tiring the commute would be)........Thanks a lot:)

Yes, good thing you did that. Do you think you can do that commute everyday. Also what time does the bus route and tri-rail shut down. Of course, if you have to stay late to study with classmates, you can take a short taxi trip. But as you know, sometimes it is great/even essential to study in groups.

But with PBA being so expensive, it would really save a lot of money if you COULD commute.

If you got into Nova in Fort Lauderdale, then I think that there is a bus from the tri-rail that goes there, and that would be less of a commute.

Anyway, you do get a view of my old high school right after you get off the tri-rail. It is literally right across the street. At that time, cityplace was in the process of being built.

Downtown WPB is much nicer than it was in the 1980s when I was a little kid. Back then, the whole downtown section was literally a blighted/abandoned area. I remember that it was not too safe staying around PBA much at night back then. But it has changed now.

I am glad to have helped you.

Yes, good thing you did that. Do you think you can do that commute everyday. Also what time does the bus route and tri-rail shut down. Of course, if you have to stay late to study with classmates, you can take a short taxi trip. But as you know, sometimes it is great/even essential to study in groups.

But with PBA being so expensive, it would really save a lot of money if you COULD commute.

If you got into Nova in Fort Lauderdale, then I think that there is a bus from the tri-rail that goes there, and that would be less of a commute.

Anyway, you do get a view of my old high school right after you get off the tri-rail. It is literally right across the street. At that time, cityplace was in the process of being built.

Downtown WPB is much nicer than it was in the 1980s when I was a little kid. Back then, the whole downtown section was literally a blighted/abandoned area. I remember that it was not too safe staying around PBA much at night back then. But it has changed now.

I am glad to have helped you.

I am planning to commute from miami to WPB during my first semester.... When I start my second semester I am moving closer to school (We have a house in Miami and plan to rent it). To be really honest WPB downtown neighborhood is kinda scary and I really hate it. But I have no other choice. I haven't heard back from Nova. I don't want to wait another year(getting older :laugh:). I am in the alternate pool at Creighton (web based program). So right now...PBA is my only option.
I am not sure about the time when tri-rail and bus route usually shut down.
During my next visit I will definitely look for your old high school :). Thank you so much for the help. I really really appreciate it.