MD Parents who are docs putting on your white coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
White coat ceremony at my school, we all got our coats from one of the Deans.

At graduation, we could all get hooded by a dean, a family member, a friend, or a mentor. I'd say about 2/3 of the class brought someone to hood them, ranging from their parent/grandparent/sibling to their childhood oncologist to their favorite professor - and the other 1/3 just had the dean do it.

My mother hooded me, and a few years later I hooded my now wife. If one of my theoretical kids ends up going into medicine, I presume one of us will hood them - they'll just have to pick which parent they like better.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dayuummm, ya'll need to chill !! :laugh: Ya’ll are great at twisting words and assuming things. I never claimed what most of you guys are even yaking about.. so chill!
Have your whole damn doctor family cloak you IDGAF.
I’m just pointing out that it’s a privilege. THATS IT.

So calm yo self.

must be nice having parents as doctors
Agreed. It just screams "privilege" to me.

lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How...do you pay your own way in med school?
And aren't you also a first gen college student ( thus, coming from an even more difficult background).
By pay my own way I mean loans that I'm paying for myself, so the financial burden is mine and mine alone to deal with. Knowing about my family would make medical school sound like a miracle, but let's not go there lol. My struggle wasn't over over who should be doing what ceremonial function, but rather whether I wanted them to attend at all.

Reactions: 1 user
The White Coat Ceremony is specifically designed to be a socially appropriate outlet for what would otherwise be considered an awkward. This is the day to get whatever picture perfect moment you and your family wants and post it on Facebook with all the hashtags before you stop going on FB for the next 6 months. A parent coating a new student doctor is a perfectly reasonable and very common practice and if my parent wanted it, I would inquire about it and not worry about what others thought.

Last edited:
OP just be careful. If it is allowed at your school think about it and if you really don’t want your dad to do it fine. But also think about how he will feel if other parents are costing their children. Seems to me it would be a slap in the face of your proud parent. Is it worth it to hurt your father?

OP just be careful. If it is allowed at your school think about it and if you really don’t want your dad to do it fine. But also think about how he will feel if other parents are costing their children. Seems to me it would be a slap in the face of your proud parent. Is it worth it to hurt your father?
Yeah I really don't want to be the ONLY person doing this.

CandBGirl is right. Unless you’re doing something ethically wrong, your social reputation among your medical student peers is one of the most useless investments in medical school. Is it really worth potentially hurting your parents’ feelings just so the White Coat Ceremony is a tad less embarrassing? At this point in life, a majority of your classmates have developed their own support system and are in it for themselves. You can learn that now or learn that the hard way when people straight up start ignoring/ghosting each other during the second semester of M2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There's nothing embarrassing about having your dad come to the stage and give you your white coat, even if it's not a standard practice at the school. Your bonding experiences with your family are far more important than the perceptions of some bitter, envious classmates. When the going gets tough, your family members will ultimately be the ones who will support you and keep you afloat. Who cares what others think?

I have friends at other schools who's parents are also MDs that came to the white coat ceremony and put the white coat on their son/daughter, but I am not sure if this is a thing at my school.

whose* ;)

Reactions: 4 users