MD Parents who are docs putting on your white coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeatsByLobot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting medical school in July, and my dad is an alum of the same school. My mom is insisting that I have my dad come to the stage to give me my white coat. I have friends at other schools who's parents are also MDs that came to the white coat ceremony and put the white coat on their son/daughter, but I am not sure if this is a thing at my school. How common is this? Thoughts?`

Members don't see this ad.

My only thought is....does your school do it? What else matters?

Reactions: 3 users
I will be starting medical school in July, and my dad is an alum of the same school. My mom is insisting that I have my dad come to the stage to give me my white coat. I have friends at other schools who's parents are also MDs that came to the white coat ceremony and put the white coat on their son/daughter, but I am not sure if this is a thing at my school. How common is this? Thoughts?`
I doubt there's any rules against that, but do you really wanna be known as THAT guy or girl?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I really don't want to be the ONLY person doing this.
Yeah, I feel like it would be weird if you are the only one doing it. Like most traditions, it's weird for others if they aren't accustomed to the tradition. If I saw a student doing that at my WCC, I would personally think he's a bit too into it TBH.

If allowed, I'd do it even if nobody else did it at my school. This is a monumental moment for you, your family, and your institution. Screw everyone else. Don't let other people cheat you out of your moments.

Edit: only if you care enough, that is...

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
This was commonly done at my medical school, so I wouldn't really bat an eye at it. Ask your school if something like this is OK to do. If they say no, then OK. If they say a bunch of people do it then do it, and if they waffle, and you seriously want to do it, express your interest. You can't worry about what people will say 100% of the time.

Reactions: 1 user

Jesus, this is the most perfect example of first world problems if I've ever seen one.

Reactions: 6 users
Just ask people at your school. If people do it, then do it. If people don't, then don't.

I feel like if your school does it they will let you know it's an option when they send you info about the white coat ceremony.

must be nice having parents as doctors

Reactions: 14 users
Parents are allowed to hood you but not present you with a white coat at my school.

Plenty of people parents/mentors hooded them

Reactions: 6 users
Even so, if you want to do this and your parents really want you to do this, what's the harm in doing it? As long as you're not an *ss about it you'll be fine. Honestly, I love seeing stuff like this. I think it's cute. And I'm pretty sure most reasonable people know that this kind of stuff is done more for the parents/grandparents anyway (and the school PR department).

Don't listen to the naysayers in this thread. You do you. Have fun at white coat. Bask in the pride of all your accomplishments and soak it in while you can...because life will start to suck just a few days after that (just kidding....no, I'm not kidding).

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school had multiple people get coated by a physician parent (some alums, some not)

My medical school also had many incoming students coated by physician parents. I don’t think it is something to be insecure about.
Like others have suggested, reach out to the school or older students to find out if this is something common at your school.

Don’t think this is worth the effort especially if you are the only one. Also, white coat is more of a mass group ceremony than an individual thing. Save it for graduation when you get hooded.

Parents are allowed to hood you but not present you with a white coat at my school.

Plenty of people parents/mentors hooded them

This is how it is at my DO school. They have a rule that only faculty may present you your white coat but you may pick special guests to hood you at graduation.

Don’t think this is worth the effort especially if you are the only one. Also, white coat is more of a mass group ceremony than an individual thing. Save it for graduation when you get hooded.

I understand where you're going with this but I didn't "mass group" get into medical school and the fact that there's a ceremony to honor this, if they allow it, go for it.

Not common at all at my school for white coat ceremony. Never saw it

At my white coat ceremony, there were maybe 7 people cloaked by family members on stage.

At my school, multiple parents who were alumni gave white coats to their children. We even had a sibling who's an alumnus and current resident coat his brother.

Isn’t it more appropriate for your parent, who’s an alum, to shake your hand on stage when you graduate in four years? I thought that was the norm if situation provided.

Plus, you'll learn to hate your short white coat in a very short amount of time.

That sounds terrible. “Time for your physical, son!”

Having doctors as parents, however, might be nice for some.
Well, when you put it that way....

The kids in my class whose parents are doctors invariably had their med school paid for by their parents though, and in many cases also had their house or condo bought for them by their parents as well. That would be a nice situation to be in!

Well, when you put it that way....

The kids in my class whose parents are doctors invariably had their med school paid for by their parents though, and in many cases also had their house or condo bought for them by their parents as well. That would be a nice situation to be in!

I was just commenting on the poor wording. Having your physician as your parent is different than having a parent who is a physician.

If I saw a student doing that at my WCC, I would personally think he's a bit too into it TBH.

What does that even mean?

At my school, it was encouraged if you were related to someone who was an MD or DO. About 1/4 of the class was coated by a parent/grandparent.

Plus, you'll learn to hate your short white coat in a very short amount of time.

Yes, you will.

It’s funny that at my med school every respiratory therapist, lab tech, or even gurney pusher could wear a long white coat. Only med students had to wear the short ones. It’s as if your humiliation was a high priority.

I finished med school in the late 90s. White coat ceremonies weren’t even a thing then. It’s a fairly new “tradition” so do what the heck ever you want.

What does that even mean?

At my school, it was encouraged if you were related to someone who was an MD or DO. About 1/4 of the class was coated by a parent/grandparent.
Idk, it just kinda stinks of aristocracy, your parents "handing down" the "crown" in some ways. I know it's not meant to be like that, and there are many reasons to do it such as family pride, professional traditions, etc. But why can't my parents do that? They aren't doctors. So it's only reserved for those who are privileged enough to have doctors as parents?

I'm sure my opinion is unpopular, but it's just my perspective.

PS-I haven't had my WCC yet, just speculating.

But why can't my parents do that? They aren't doctors. So it's only reserved for those who are privileged enough to have doctors as parents?

Yes, it's symbolic of an older generation of doctors welcoming the new generation of (student) doctors. It just happens to be that for some, their parents are part of the older generation of doctors. And by the way, I say this as the only doctor in my family, so my parents did not coat me. But I don't begrudge the experience for my classmates who did.

Yes, it's symbolic of an older generation of doctors welcoming the new generation of (student) doctors. It just happens to be that for some, their parents are part of the older generation of doctors. And by the way, I say this as the only doctor in my family, so my parents did not coat me. But I don't begrudge the experience for my classmates who did.
I don't begrudge it either, just said it would irk me and they'd be "that guy/girl".

I don't begrudge it either, just said it would irk me and they'd be "that guy/girl".

It clearly begrudges you if it puts that person in a negative light.

Agreed. It just screams "privilege" to me.

Maybe you shouldn't be so sensitive. What if your kid ends up in medical school and wants you to coat them? You gonna tell them to check their privilege?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Agreed. It just screams "privilege" to me.

So if your son or daughter was getting their white coat in med school you wouldn’t put it on them because others would think they they had some special privileges?

What is your son or daughter asked you to do it?

It clearly begrudges you if it puts that person in a negative light.

Maybe you shouldn't be so sensitive. What if your kid ends up in medical school and wants you to coat them? You gonna tell them to check their privilege?

Oh good heavens. We posted the same thing at nearly the same time.

Nope. Cloak your kid all you want, but it still screams privilege to me. Let's not prevent that having a parent as a doctor doesn't give you some edge over those who don't.

If I do cloak my child or whatever, I would still know that they did have an advantage of getting to medical school vs those who didn't.

Cloaking at graduation is normal and celebratory. It seems weird at WCC. You haven't done anything yet.

Nope. Cloak your kid all you want, but it still screams privilege to me. Let's not prevent that having a parent as a doctor doesn't give you some edge over those who don't.

If I do cloak my child or whatever, I would still know that they did have an advantage of getting to medical school vs those who didn't.

My father drove a cab for a living. I got to med school just fine. Instead of trying to check the privilege, how about we check the envy? Work hard and it won't make a difference what your parents do for a living.

The types of statements above always make me think they're written by posters who have a superiority complex about getting into med school and are trying desperately to hide it. To the average med student, asking your MD/DO parent to coat you at your MD/DO school, wouldn't scream privilege.

In the end, it doesn't really matter does it
In my opinion, you and your guests are at that ceremony for you yourself only it doesn't really matter what other people do as long as it isn't disruptive and against policy
People are going to judge others all the time, it happens

For the people bothered about the "privilege" factor of a family of doctors: You're free to judge, but I think it'll get tiresome when you think about that you're going to be surrounded by these people as classmates for the next few years and you're joining a field where you'll meet even more people who come from doctors for the rest of your career. I'd prefer to let my own interactions with them color my (first) impressions instead of their family background

Sorry if that was a bit disjointed but that's my two cents on this discussion as an incoming med student ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The quest for cosmic justice must be exhausting

• Haha
"Oh no! What will the cool kids say, daddy?"

If I was your dad and read this thread, I'd not only not want to put the white coat on you, but I'd be embarrassed that I raised such a self-conscious brat

Grow up. This is supposed to be a great moment for your entire family and you're ruining it because "someone might think something mean!"

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah, and i bet you grew up in rural Africa as an abandoned orphan and made it into medical school in the US through your own effort alone. People like you reek of class envy. My parents were immigrants and weren't rich, doctors or well connected. If I would have had parents with "privilege," I'd be grateful of the things that they provided me. If I had a son go into medical school, I'd be proud of my son. I wouldn't secretly be thinking my kid is useless and I got him there.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
It's very common and totally normal at most ceremonies

Cloaking at graduation is normal and celebratory. It seems weird at WCC. You haven't done anything yet.

I understand what you’re saying. I don’t really see it as celebratory. It’s more like a guild passing the torch from the older members to the younger.

Let's not pretend that if you're a parent you're not going to do everything you can to help your children succeed. Life isn't fair. Having parents that are doctors can give you a slight advantage in medical school admissions, but life isn't fair. What high school you go to, what mentors you have, what financial resources you have available, your temperament (which is mostly genetic), how physically attractive you are, or whether or not you happen to have a physical ailment, disability, or disease affect whether you get into medical school in unpredictable ways, both major and minor. Life isn't fair, but we're not making it any more so by sucking the joy out of ceremonies that give parents a chance to be proud of their children and children to feel like they've achieved something profound in the presence of their loved ones.

I say all of this as a first generation medical student that overcame a whole hell of a lot to get here and that paid his own way throughout. Yeah, I had it rough, but being bitter at those that didn't does absolutely no good for the world.

Reactions: 4 users

And why is that bad? Their parents worked hard so the kids may have a leg up in life. I say more the reasons to do it, they should be dam proud. I suppose you are going to donate all your money once you die? What a hater

Dayuummm, ya'll need to chill !! :laugh: Ya’ll are great at twisting words and assuming things. I never claimed what most of you guys are even yaking about.. so chill!
Have your whole damn doctor family cloak you IDGAF.
I’m just pointing out that it’s a privilege. THATS IT.

So calm yo self.

Let's not pretend that if you're a parent you're not going to do everything you can to help your children succeed. Life isn't fair. Having parents that are doctors can give you a slight advantage in medical school admissions, but life isn't fair. What high school you go to, what mentors you have, what financial resources you have available, your temperament (which is mostly genetic), how physically attractive you are, or whether or not you happen to have a physical ailment, disability, or disease affect whether you get into medical school in unpredictable ways, both major and minor. Life isn't fair, but we're not making it any more so by sucking the joy out of ceremonies that give parents a chance to be proud of their children and children to feel like they've achieved something profound in the presence of their loved ones.

I say all of this as a first generation medical student that overcame a whole hell of a lot to get here and that paid his own way throughout. Yeah, I had it rough, but being bitter at those that didn't does absolutely no good for the world.
How...do you pay your own way in med school?
And aren't you also a first gen college student ( thus, coming from an even more difficult background).