This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharm21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to know what the best study materials are for the pcat? I heard about dr. collins, perarson and kaplan. I was going to buy dr. collins but my friend took her september pcat for 2017 and she said it really didn't help her as much as people said. I have heard this from other friends who took the pcat in september as well. They told me to use collins for the biology section. Should I study kaplan or pearson for the other sections? Also I wanted to know the difference between pearson and dr. collins, is it the same book? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the PCAT in July 2017 and only used Collins and whatever free practice tests and questions I could locate online, I think it was extremely helpful. It was my first time taking the PCAT and I got a 96 composite. I think the most important thing was doing as many practice test and questions as possible from anywhere you can find them. I would not suggest wasting money on both Collins, Kaplan and Pearsons however.

Dr. Collins and Kaplan. You only need the Chemistry section of Dr. Collins tbh and the entire Biology section from Kaplan.

Hey man, I strongly recommend Dr. Collins! I got 94th percentile using their materials. I originally used the Kaplan PCAT study guide, but I felt that it was sort of a information overload and actually gave you too much information, while Dr. Collins focuses on what is actually on the PCAT.

If you can afford it for practice tests I'd recommend the "Crack the PCAT" testing software. Use the Dr. Collin's material for learning and use the Crack the PCAT to actually test yourself. I also recommend the official PCAT practice test from Pearson. They are literally just like the PCAT and are around the same difficultly.