This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharm21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I took the pcat this september and used dr collins and it was not similar to the pcat at all I ended up doing horrible and i used kaplan and collins for quantitative section and still did bad. Can someone please tell me what to study for the biology chem and math. Biology I did the worst on the passages were very difficult for me so if there is something better to study please let me know I used collins for about everything and did horrible. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,

I also used dr collins to study and I didn't do too bad. My stats were:
Bio: 94
Chem: 96
Reading: 40
Math: 67
Composite: 86

I was surprised with the amount of passages on the exam because there were hardly on dr collins, but I was able to answer the questions without even reading the passages. For dr collins, I reviewed the packets and then treated the section questions as exams. After taking each exam, I went through the questions to see what I got wrong, what I got right, and what I guessed on and got right. From this, I compiled topics that I was getting wrong and reviewed those topics on khan academy. The math section for dr collins was lacking, so I'd say find another resource for this. For the reading section, you just have to get a lot of practice reading dense articles. I think the CARS section from a MCAT practice book would be helpful. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
I took the pcat this september and used dr collins and it was not similar to the pcat at all I ended up doing horrible and i used kaplan and collins for quantitative section and still did bad. Can someone please tell me what to study for the biology chem and math. Biology I did the worst on the passages were very difficult for me so if there is something better to study please let me know I used collins for about everything and did horrible. Thank you!!!
I just took my PCAT this morning and experienced the same thing. None of the questions on the PCAT were similar to Dr Collins at all. I studied Dr Collins and Kaplan for 4 months. My questions were so difficult. I have never seen difficult questions like that in my life before.

In my opinion, you aren't supposed to use Dr. Collins as a study guide. You should only be using it as practice and reminders of minute details your forgot about.
If you are aware your general biology and chemistry knowledge is poor, I would go back and hit the books.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I was surprised with the amount of passages on the exam because there were hardly on dr collins, but I was able to answer the questions without even reading the passages. For dr collins, I reviewed the packets and then treated the section questions as exams. After taking each exam, I went through the questions to see what I got wrong, what I got right, and what I guessed on and got right. From this, I compiled topics that I was getting wrong and reviewed those topics on khan academy. The math section for dr collins was lacking, so I'd say find another resource for this. For the reading section, you just have to get a lot of practice reading dense articles. I think the CARS section from a MCAT practice book would be helpful. Hope this helps!

How many passages were on biology and chem sections?

Hi there,

Do you think that Dr. Collin’s study guide is enough for bio and chemistry? Do you think it covers everything we need to know or it’s just supeeficial? Thank you!

Do you think that Dr. Collin’s study guide is enough for bio and chemistry? Do you think it covers everything we need to know or it’s just supeeficial? Thank you!

I used only Dr. Collins to study and I felt like the questions were similar to the real PCAT. As long as you have a general understanding of the topics reviewed in Dr. Collins, I think you'll do fine. However, keep in mind I already have a bachelor's degree in chemistry with a concentration in biochemistry. A lot of the material was review from previous classes I have taken, so this may be the reason why Dr. Collins was all I needed for studying.

I don't remember the exact number, but I believe it was between 3-6 passages per subject

My reason for asking is to compare the number of passages on Dr collins practice test (which is between 2-3 on each of bio and chem section) and the real thing