PCCM fellowship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Havent been posting to this thread so far but matched this year to my number 1.
Didn't match last year and did a hospitalist year with poster presentations in between.
To those who didn't match, keep your chin up and keep yourself engaged. It'll happen for you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I couldn’t see sleep unfortunately. I could see all of the programs from the current match, but not sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Same here. I guess because Sleep is a different cycle. Can you let me know if you ever find the unmatched list?

I was wondering if you guys can post your credentials here. It would give future applicants a gauge for next year and the year after

1-AMG/IMG/US-IMG
2- research: how many, what type, published or not ?
3- posters or oral presentation ?
4- Did you do a year of sleep medicine prior to applying
5- your residency program( university vs community)
6- How many invitations you received
7- USMLE 1/2/3.
8- where did you match?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve frequently seen people recommending that one does a year of sleep if they don’t match, but can anyone tell me how/why this helps?

I’ve frequently seen people recommending that one does a year of sleep if they don’t match, but can anyone tell me how/why this helps?

I have not done sleep, but that being said, I have interviewed around quite a lot, so let me try answering this the best I can.
1) Sleep itself is a fellowship training, so you are not considered having a “gap” post-residency. It is like doing Chief resident.
2) many PCCM programs don’t have established sleep department or faculties so a fellow who is going to be a graduating sleep attending brings value to the program, a distinct skill set that other applicants can’t offer.
3) Sleep itself is not competitive, so people usually achieve way higher-Up Univeristy programs when they scramble for sleep. And from there, you build contacts, you achieve research and acedemics, and the reputation of the program sells.
Imagine applying as PGY3 resident from so-and-so community program versus Sleep fellow from so-and-so university program. There’s a huge difference in the status of your application right here.
4) Sleep itself is a big part of pulmonology, many people do double boarding Pulmonary & Critical Care and sleep, it is all a matter of which one you are doing first, sleep first or Pulmonary & Critical Care first.
That itself generates extra income when you want to step down from ICU care as attending, or just want to moonlight as a fellow, you can just read sleep studies and make extra cash.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Matched yesterday and hoping to offer some advice and observations for future applicants.

I'm a PGY-3 at a major (considered top 5) program on the east coast. Matched to #1 program in PCCM (physician scientist) on opposite coast. Keeping location vague for anonymity.

In terms of observations, the number one factor in determining interviews is reputation of IM residency. Although I really feel this shouldn't be the highest factor, it seemed to be the number one factor that stood out. In my program and others on the NE of similar caliber seemed to get interviews everywhere (regardless of crazy research experiences or chief year). Other factors that I imagine played a huge role are letters, research (especially important for physician scientist tracks), and career narrative. I would also not overlook personal statement as it appeared the majority of my interviewers did read this and was able to extract my career goals from this. Board score I imagine might be a smaller consideration.

In terms of advice I think one thing that is very understated, but was an important part of my advising from those involved in fellowship selection is to have a well crafted career narrative. At this phase of training, programs expect you to be somewhat more differentiated in terms of your 10- or 15-year goal, especially in major academic places. They want to know if your goal is to be a physician scientist, medical educator, QI/implementation science, community based practice, etc. Of course it's understandable that goals more often change than not but having a clear goal is attractive to programs. Also it's important to be more specific than saying "I want to do research or I want to teach". Having specific well-crafted goals based off of previous experiences carried a lot of weight e.g "My goal is to be an NIH funded researcher studying ARDS and critical illness from a translational perspective" or "My goal is to become a future leader in PCCM medical education with a focus on novel ICU/point of care ultrasound curriculum." Having letters, personal statement, experiences/scholarly work, and your interview all focused around this central goal to support your narrative is key. The entire adage that personal statements/LORs and ERAS apps not being read to its entirety is not true for fellowship apps as PDs don't have to shift through thousands of apps like they do for IM residency, but are instead reduced to just a few hundred at most so these things are all important. I think it's fine to have a cookie-cutter personal statement but make sure you clearly define your career goals in there.

Also even for well respected academic or even physician scientists programs it is NOT important to have a bunch of pubs/posters/abstracts/presentations on your application, but it was more important to demonstrate active engagement in something you could articulate well and talk about future direction as it applies to your career. PDs understand nobody is going to have first author JAMA or nature papers during residency or at least take part in very meaningful lab based research on your days off. I didn't have any crazy research productivity to boast about but still had plenty to speak about in terms of work I did. An articulated career narrative is more valuable than quantity of scholarly work.

Also I want to stress to the prestige-obsessed and ivory tower folks that there is no "top" program. Many of the programs had different focuses and strengths, whether research (and even in that realm there was a high variation of strong basic, translational, clinical, health services), clinical practice (some programs have very high procedural level and other programs do not), and subspecialty focus (some centers have stronger CF, transplant, PH, ILD, COPD/asthma, etc or lack of one or more). Important to pick a program based off your career goals and your fit.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi!
wanted to share my experience
IMG, J1, 250s/240s, in a small community program, chief resident, >23 abstract and publication during residency, applied to 110 programs, 23 invitation, attended 19, matched to #2, big university program. very happy with it.

1-AMG
2- research: Residency = 2 Publications (1 first author, 1 2nd author), 1 abstract. Also, 1 paper completed and submitted, but not yet accepted for publication (first author). Medschool = 1 publication (3rd author)
3- Posters and presentations: Residency: 3 Posters +presentations. Med School: 2 posters, 1 presentation
4- Did you do a year of sleep medicine prior to applying: No
5- Your residency program (university vs community): Middle tier west coast university program
6- How many invitations you received: 13 - went to all 13
7- USMLE 1/2/3: 230s/240s/220s
8- where did you match? Matched to #1 choice. Well-known west coast university program.

Reactions: 1 users
1-IMG J1
2- Research: Residency = 1 abstract. Medschool = 1 publication (4th author)
3- Posters and presentations: Residency: 3 Posters +presentations, One of which was at a prestigious annual well attended conference.
4- Did you do a year of sleep medicine prior to applying: No
5- Your residency program (university vs community): Reputable east coast Community program
6- How many invitations you received: 7 - went to all 7
7- USMLE 1/2/3: 230s/260s/240s
8- Where did you match? Matched to #1 choice at known east coast university program.

1- DO
2- research: how many, what type, published or not: 6: 3 original research in med school and residency, 3 posters mostly non pulm crit
3- posters or oral presentation ? Presented 2 non pulm crit posters
4- Did you do a year of sleep medicine prior to applying: no sleep and no chief
5- your residency program (university vs community): community program on the west coast
6- How many invitations you received: 8 out of 90
7- USMLE 1/2/3: 220s, 210s, didn't take step 3. Comlex 500s
8- where did you match? #1 :) , a mid tier University program on the west coast, did not do away rotation

For those hopeful DO applicants, know that numbers aren't everything. Numbers wise I know I look weak on paper and I don't have any connections either but my LORs are very strong. Interviews also went really well. Also had several other interviews at mid tier university programs. Needless to say I cannot be happier. Good luck guys!

Last edited:
1- IMG on J1 visa
2- research: how many, what type, published or not: Before residency, 2 years of bench research and 1 first author bench research paper. During residency, 1 joint first author original paper, 1 case report published.
3- posters or oral presentations? Abstracts: 5 case report abstracts, >20 retrospective abstracts (first and second author) (7 of them are oral presentations in 1 national, 3 regional, 3 local conferences and the rest are poster presentations in national conferences)
4- Did you do a year of sleep medicine prior to applying: no sleep, no chief, no gap. PGY 3 IM resident, 2 away electives, one at nearby university, and another at sleep clinic at nearby community hospital. I do have a Masters of BIotechnology before starting residency and 2 years of research along with it.
5- your residency program( university vs community): Small affiliated community program in midwest
6- How many invitations you received: applied 136, 27 invitations, attended 24.
7- USMLE 1/2/3: 253/251/226
8- where did you match?: Rank #1, Top-notch program in east coast renowned in Critical care. NIH track. It's a dream coming true. I am going insane with joy!

I want to pass some advice to future IMG visa applicants, coming from small community programs, especially aspiring for academic careers.
1) First and foremost, nothing is impossible. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. As long as you are willing to put the hard work and earn it, you will be able to do it. It is extremely hard, an uphill battle, but not impossible. I did it coming from the same background as you.
2) asdfTT123 advice from above is solid gold and I couldn't have said it any better. Read them up and down, especially about having well-crafted career interests, having clear idea of what you want to do, or subspecialize in terms of clinical practice, research focus. You don't have to know it at day 1, but they should see a path taking shape in your cv and personal statement.
3) J1 visa versus H1 visa is very important, and H1 is a huge barrier to getting into any decent university program unless you can get into Mayo or Cleveland Clinic. But again there are some renowned universities that still sponsor an H1 visa, though very very few in number.
As a J1 holder, you cannot get into any T32 sponsored tracks. Most academic tracks that I interviewed are T32 sponsored, so you have to specifically ask for internal departmental funds to sponsor your 4th research year and rank these programs high on your list. Don't get into T32 programs and realize later that you are not eligible for T32.
4) MENTORS ARE EVERYTHING. Who your mentor is and where your mentor is from decides what high you can climb in the fellowship ladder. Letters from mentors were read up and down, word to word, and makes or breaks your match. You might be in a community program, but it is important to establish mentorship with people from nearby universities or even renowned universities. Email people since day 1 of your residency, socialize in conferences, say hi to people, enroll in the mentorship committee and programs that societies offer. I got my mentor from the AHA conference, and ever since then, Game changer.
5) Interview skills: very very important. Because in fellowship selection, there are only 400-700 applications that Program directors are reviewing and only invites 10-50 people depending on program size, they read your ERAS CV, PS, LORs and everything in your application very thoroughly and asks very deep and intellectually challenging questions. You will be interviewing at least 20-30 mins with each interviewer, and there will be at least 3 to even 8 interviews like this in every program. If your luck would have it, you can be stuck with one interviewer for 1-1.5 hours during scheduling or timing issues. (Happens with me in my rank 1 program. I was interviewed 1.5 hours in both locations, just because of scheduling glitches). Know your projects up and down, know your mentors and their work, their career, be prepared to talk about your career goals post-fellowship, subspecialization (Pul HTN, lung transplant, cystic fibrosis, IP, ILD, etc), your family, spouses, background, be ready to chit chat about everything and nothing and be pleasant and likable. This is not something you can get away with making up lies or memorizing answers. (I personally helped residency applicant with interview practice for 3 years since I start residency, so that helped enormously)
6) Coming from an IMG visa background, community program setting, know that you have to do everything and 3 times more that everyone else is doing. I was an outstanding resident, did clinical duties effectively, did all the research at my personal time, attended and presented 2-3 conferences every year, paid out of pocket for manuscript fees, conference fees, attended 2 chest simulation courses, bought butterfly ultrasound myself, and replied to my mentors every single email within 1 day, and finished projects they ask within 1 week, regardless of whether I am in ICU or floor or night float. All this hard work that you put down shines in your cv, reflected in your letters, and personal statement and that enabled me to break the existing barriers and climb high.
7) Think about critical care fellowship and sleep fellowship, and plan ahead. Pulmonary & Critical Care is competitive but this is not as hard as residency or GI or cardio fellowship to speak of. Straight PCCM Fellowship is not the only way to get it, you can do sleep and apply again, you can do critical care first, then do pulmonary later. You can do academic hospitalist, do research and apply again. Putting down extra years of research somewhere in your career is important, and not necessarily a bad thing, they want to see that dedication to select you into it.
8) Be humble, be nice, be passionate and be sincere to everyone you met, you never know who can help you with what down the line.

If I did it, so can you. So fight on, soldiers. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi all!

I'm currently a MS4 applying IM, and I'm pretty sure I want to pursue PCCM as a fellowship. I was wondering where the best places to get information about fellowship is or the most helpful resources for you? I was also wondering if you had any advice about important aspects of a residency program that may or may not have been overlooked during your application process.

I also had a more specific question as I'm going through residency interviews. I'm a USMD, 210/249, some research but nothing prominent. I've gotten interviews at many places with a fellowship program, but one program I love doesn't have a PCCM fellowship. They plan to get it in 2024. The program seems very supportive, in a good location, and like it would have great mentorship and research opportunities. How should this factor into my rankings? If they had PCCM, I would surely rank it #1. Without it, I'm not too sure and I want to maximize my chances of matching PCCM as much as possible.

Appreciate any advice and congrats on getting this far!

Hi all!

I'm currently a MS4 applying IM, and I'm pretty sure I want to pursue PCCM as a fellowship. I was wondering where the best places to get information about fellowship is or the most helpful resources for you? I was also wondering if you had any advice about important aspects of a residency program that may or may not have been overlooked during your application process.

I also had a more specific question as I'm going through residency interviews. I'm a USMD, 210/249, some research but nothing prominent. I've gotten interviews at many places with a fellowship program, but one program I love doesn't have a PCCM fellowship. They plan to get it in 2024. The program seems very supportive, in a good location, and like it would have great mentorship and research opportunities. How should this factor into my rankings? If they had PCCM, I would surely rank it #1. Without it, I'm not too sure and I want to maximize my chances of matching PCCM as much as possible.

Appreciate any advice and congrats on getting this far!

I wouldn't worry so much about the fellowship process right now being so early in the process. I would focus on going to the strongest academic IM program you can. If you liked the program without the PCCM in-house fellowship, I would take that into consideration as a definite negative as getting letters, research and exposure to the field will be hindered. It won't be impossible as you can always branch out of your institution to work or take a gap year, but I imagine it will be difficult. Your resources in residency (PD, PCCM division) to help you land a fellowship spot would be within your PCCM and will help with advising regarding research projects, other scholarly work, and programs to shoot for.

Hi all,

any suggestions on how ands where to find open slots/unexpected openings ?

Thanks in advance!