PCCM fellowship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really appreciate it! Any experience with Irvine?
sure! UCI is very clinical, producing almost entirely private practice pccm docs in southern california, and is essentially unknown as a program, nationally and to be honest, locally. the division seems to lack buy-in, direction, and a sense of pride. however, the fellows get a ton of procedures, plenty of clinical experience, and might just have the best life of all the fellows in the state (very few weekends, only overnights are as a well paid moonlighting gig).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 24, I am ranking may be 20-21. How I think is that “Would I rather go unmatched than go to that program?” If the answer is yes, then I don’t rank it. Not even as rank 24th.
24!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me the reputation between U of Maryland and UT Houston? Which one has a stronger reputation? My goal is acedemics and research. Not interested in IP, but do want good critical care training.

I interviewed 24, I am ranking may be 20-21. How I think is that “Would I rather go unmatched than go to that program?” If the answer is yes, then I don’t rank it. Not even as rank 24th.

That’s obnoxious and unnecessary. This is the reason others didn’t get interview spots...

Can anyone tell me the reputation between U of Maryland and UT Houston? Which one has a stronger reputation? My goal is acedemics and research. Not interested in IP, but do want good critical care training.

UT Houston has a great clinical training but they were very up front about not being very focused on research. If protected research time is what you are looking for then I am not sure this is the right place. If I remember correctly they only offered 3-6 months in the 3 years. Faculty was very nice and literally said: if you want to apply for grants and be a researcher this may not be a good fit. Having said that I still think is a great program overall with great reputation.

UT Houston has a great clinical training but they were very up front about not being very focused on research. If protected research time is what you are looking for then I am not sure this is the right place. If I remember correctly they only offered 3-6 months in the 3 years. Faculty was very nice and literally said: if you want to apply for grants and be a researcher this may not be a good fit. Having said that I still think is a great program overall with great reputation.

Thank you. I appreciate your reply.

That’s obnoxious and unnecessary. This is the reason others didn’t get interview spots...

I believe mutual respect is important in professional communication in this forum. I don’t deserve to be called obnoxious for deciding to attend the interviews I worked hard to earn. I am invited and it is my right to whether attend or cancel it. I have a family situation that requires me to attend this much interviews.
Programs evaluate applications independent of each other, and they offer interviews to people they believe is the best fit. If a program really like you, they can always squeeze in an extra interview spot for you. I have seen it happening. So the popular notion that interview spots are “taken” from one applicant to another isn’t correct.

Last edited:
I believe mutual respect is important in professional communication in this forum. I don’t deserve to be called obnoxious for deciding to attend the interviews I worked hard to earn. I am invited and it is my right to whether attend or cancel it. I have a family situation that requires me to attend this much interviews.
Programs evaluate applications independent of each other, and they offer interviews to people they believe is the best fit. If a program really like you, they can always squeeze in an extra interview spot for you. I have seen it happening. So the popular notion that interview spots are “taken” from one applicant to another isn’t correct.

Hi Folks!
What would rank first, a university hospital where you won't intubate or a community one with plenty of procedures? and how much weight do you put on the reputation of the programs (as honestly, I liked some community hospitals more than well-reputable university programs)
thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Folks!
What would rank first, a university hospital where you won't intubate or a community one with plenty of procedures? and how much weight do you put on the reputation of the programs (as honestly, I liked some community hospitals more than well-reputable university programs)
thanks.

I think it really depends on what your career goals are after fellowship. If you wanna do acedemics, the university name is important. Even if you can’t properly intubate, there are tons of anesthesia and other attendings around to help you in acedemic setting, and even most most-acedemic institution that we know don’t intubate. So that’s apparently not a big deal. Plus univeristy programs do give you anesthesia rotation even though they don’t intubate in ICU, and you can intubate your own patients during Bronch and EBUS, or go hangout with anesthesia during your research months to get some more intubation under your belt.
But if you wanna go for private practice, you might be the only attending in house to be able to intubate, and community versus university trained doesn’t matter, all that they care is your clinical skills. So in that case, I would say community program with intubation experience is more suited for you.
Just my two cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Guys,

University of Florida-Gainesville VS University of Wisconsin-Madison regarding the rank. Any thoughts?

Thanks

If a program really like you, they can always squeeze in an extra interview spot for you. I have seen it happening. So the popular notion that interview spots are “taken” from one applicant to another isn’t correct.

Yep.
Most of our interview days had 6 slots. But once in a while when people we wanted to interview were waitlisted or we had run out of space, we increased our number of spots on a day that they were available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. To be honest, i don't mind the cold weather. What do you think about the programs themselves? Which one should be higher?

well. To be honest the reason I asked the question I did is that see them both about the same. Probably do a bit more transplant at Wisconsin. More cool pleural stuff at Florida. Go with your gut.

Anyone has thoughts about U Arizona Tucson vs Oklahoma Univ vs U Missouri Columbia.?? Thanks

Anyone has thoughts about U Arizona Tucson vs Oklahoma Univ vs U Missouri Columbia.?? Thanks

I am not sure about U Missouri but between OUHSC and UA Tucson, I like UA Tucson way better. They got ECMO, lung transplant, stronger financial support for research and hospital itself is nicer and location is better as well. But OUHSC might have stronger clinical training, cos it looks much busier. I am also curious to know what others think.

Folks, I have a really silly question that I can’t find answer anywhere. Does Wake Forest has ECMO? It’s an important factor for me to rank, so if anyone remembers please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Folks, I have a really silly question that I can’t find answer anywhere. Does Wake Forest has ECMO? It’s an important factor for me to rank, so if anyone remembers please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Need help ranking:
U of Missouri- Columbia
U of texas Galveston
Case western- Metrohealth
Albany Medical Center
Cook County

Any Advice Ranking These? I'm having a tougher time than I thought...

Vermont
UCSD
University of Florida
University of Minnesota
MUSC
Temple
UIC

What are your backups plans if you don’t match? I’ve applied to about 40 cruise ship jobs out of panic lol because I’m worried if I start making Hospitalist money I won’t come back to PCCM

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

What are your backups plans if you don’t match? I’ve applied to about 40 cruise ship jobs out of panic lol because I’m worried if I start making Hospitalist money I won’t come back to PCCM

You can scramble for sleep fellowship, they go unfilled every year. Or go for acedemic hospitalist. As long as you are doing inpatient, you have room to come back to Pulmonary & Critical Care.

You can scramble for sleep fellowship, they go unfilled every year. Or go for acedemic hospitalist. As long as you are doing inpatient, you have room to come back to Pulmonary & Critical Care.

seriously do sleep if you don’t match guys

Any Advice Ranking These? I'm having a tougher time than I thought...

Vermont
UCSD
University of Florida
University of Minnesota
MUSC
Temple
UIC

all solid programs even if not bandied around around as “the usual top ten or twenty suspects” in many discussions

I might suggest ranking where you will get to probably do the research you want highest IF that is very high on your agenda. If research isn’t a big issue then I think rank where you will see lung transplant even if you don’t want to do transplant. This will also then usually give you great access to things like ECMO, LVAD, bad heart failure, and the other transplants especially bone marrow (which will be the bane of your existence doing fellowship consults) but it all will translate into being a better and experienced clinician out in the community and you won’t crap your pants when weird stuff shows up. Transplant centers will also have the best ILD docs and fellowship exposure. After that consider who is doing the pulmonary hypertension. Then I think rank by location and where you might want to live.

seriously do sleep if you don’t match guys

What is the best way to look for unfilled sleep positions after the match? Can you shed some lights if you know. Thank you very much in advance.

What is the best way to look for unfilled sleep positions after the match? Can you shed some lights if you know. Thank you very much in advance.

I actually don’t know. It’s been so long since I went through the match and I luckily got a top match.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Could you help me rank these programs. Would prefer to stay in the west coast but ultimately want the best clinical training with opportunities to be involved in academia as a clinical educator

UCI
USC
Harbor-UCLA
LIJ/Hofstra
Baylor (Houston)
Henry Ford
Tufts

Thanks

Hi guys! Need some last minute advise. How would you all rank these programs, in terms of program reputation and training?
1. University of Maryland
2. Medical College of Wisconsin
3. Saint Louis University
4. William Beaumont Hospital, Michigan
5. Westchester Medical Center/NYMC
6. Bridgeport Hospital/Yale New Haven

Would appreciate honest advise. Thanks!

Hi guys! Need some last minute advise. How would you all rank these programs, in terms of program reputation and training?

I interviewed only in UM and SLU. That being said, I would keep the rank in the order you listed, it sounds decent and appropriate in terms of reputation. I would love to hear what others think about SLU and UM too.

I think that's a good list and about right in terms of rep and training

Hi guys,
Could you help me rank these programs. Would prefer to stay in the west coast but ultimately want the best clinical training with opportunities to be involved in academia as a clinical educator

UCI
USC
Harbor-UCLA
LIJ/Hofstra
Baylor (Houston)
Henry Ford
Tufts

Thanks

In my opinion (and taking into account your preferences)....
USC
Harbor
Henry Ford (could be higher)
Baylor
Tufts
UCI

For the paranoid among us, how can one be 100% certain that we're entered into the match correctly?

"Application Status: CERTIFIED" is sufficient?

Last edited:
Losing sleep..! The bottom half of the list is easy, but the top feels impossible to nail down. Makes me wish I would’ve taken more notes on the interview trail... :cyclops:

Louisiana State University - New Orleans, LA
Baylor Scott & White - Temple, TX
Saint Louis University - Saint Louis, MO
Loyola University - Chicago/Maywood, IL
Loma Linda University - Loma Linda, CA
University of Missouri - Columbia, MO
Houston Methodist - Houston, TX
I feel like Loyola, U Missouri, and Houston Methodist should be your top 3, if you don't mind Houston Methodist being a community program (that being said, their reputation is HUGGGEEE, as big as universities.
LSU, Loma Linda and Saint Louis in the middle.
The rest I didn't interview, so I have no idea.

Having a mental breakdown here.. What do I have to do to make your top rank program rank you? Last year applicants, how many people match in their top 3 or 5?? Just consider me going crazy..
P.S. I took prematch in residency, so I have never done this match thing, ROL submission and the wait before. Feels like the suspense is driving you insane.

Having a mental breakdown here.. What do I have to do to make your top rank program rank you? Last year applicants, how many people match in their top 3 or 5?? Just consider me going crazy..
P.S. I took prematch in residency, so I have never done this match thing, ROL submission and the wait before. Feels like the suspense is driving you insane.

Don’t worry, the mental breakdown is part of the process.

certify that rank list kids! may the odds be in your favor

Anticipation......

I see one announcement via Twitter from DO. #PCCM - St Louis Iniv SOM-MO

Didn’t match and would really appreciate if someone could send me a list of unfilled sleep and/or CC programs

How does one get to know of unfilled sleep positions?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Didn’t match and would really appreciate if someone could send me a list of unfilled sleep and/or CC programs

Did you figure this out? You can access it from NRMP when logged in.

Did you figure this out? You can access it from NRMP when logged in.

I couldn’t see sleep unfortunately. I could see all of the programs from the current match, but not sleep.