PCCM fellowship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmajumdar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Just wanted to get a thread started for all of us applying for PCCM in 2019. Feel free to share your experiences during application and interview season. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Should we consider case reports/series as research experience in ERAS application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I told myself I'd never come on SDN again after medical stool started. Same thing after matching for residency. Well.... here I am.

Everyone who is applying please post your credentials (resdiency program, step scores, research, etc) and if you require Visa.

Thanks in advance.

US MD in a community IM residency program
240s/230s/230s
Statewide and national poster presentation + local oral presentation
One case report underway but no real research
Some quality improvement work

Last edited:
If people could add whether they're PCCM vs CCM, that'd be helpful as well as (towards the end of the cycle if people prefer to maintain their anonymity) where they got interviews/rejections/matched etc.

Applying CCM only
US MD in academic IM program
250s/250s/230s
>10 peer reviewed pubs but only one in residency
Doing some QI work now that won't be finished in time for fellowship app

Last edited:
A couple ERAS questions:

I switched from a different specialty into IM at the same institution after my PGY-1 year. I should list this under training as a "previous ACGME residency", even though as a PGY-1 in neurology I was basically the equivalent of an IM intern?

For clinical/work experience, is this where we put little stuff like "facilitated sim session" or "facilitated med student OSCE?", or just leave that for the resume?

For research experiences, do people typically put undergrad or pre-med stuff if it resulted in publications?

In general if it's on the resume, it should be somewhere in ERAS?

Can I re-use my residency photo?

---
PCCM
US MD - academic IM residency program
250s/230s/? passed thats all i remember
National poster x2
Lots of pubs from prior research experience, maybe 2 papers from residency

A couple ERAS questions:

I switched from a different specialty into IM at the same institution after my PGY-1 year. I should list this under training as a "previous ACGME residency", even though as a PGY-1 in neurology I was basically the equivalent of an IM intern?

For clinical/work experience, is this where we put little stuff like "facilitated sim session" or "facilitated med student OSCE?", or just leave that for the resume?

For research experiences, do people typically put undergrad or pre-med stuff if it resulted in publications?

In general if it's on the resume, it should be somewhere in ERAS?

Can I re-use my residency photo?

---
PCCM
US MD - academic IM residency program
250s/230s/? passed thats all i remember
National poster x2
Lots of pubs from prior research experience, maybe 2 papers from residency

List it as a different residency. Clinical and work experience mean JOBS, like if you worked as a hospitalist for two years before applying. Add ALL of your research. Use a new photo.

When listing experiences, are people generally only including work and volunteer experiences from residency onward? What is the "smallest" thing that you feel worth listing on your application?

When listing experiences, are people generally only including work and volunteer experiences from residency onward? What is the "smallest" thing that you feel worth listing on your application?

Listed ER shift i did in the Caribbean as a medstudent---probably should delete NOW

When applying for fellowship, did you guys upload transcripts and MSPE yourself ? or you went through MIDUS and got school to upload it for you? EFDO service gives us both of these options, not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
When applying for fellowship, did you guys upload transcripts and MSPE yourself ? or you went through MIDUS and got school to upload it for you? EFDO service gives us both of these options, not sure.

I asked my school to do it. There weren’t any hiccups.

Just to confirm, the USMLE transcripts just stay as “authorized”, right? They don’t eventually change to “uploaded” like the MSPE?

PCCM
US MD - academic IM residency program known for clinical rigor
250/250/250
National poster x2 including oral presentation at ATS rapid
Two small peer reviewed pieces in major journal (jama IM)

It’s hard to find a list of nationally well regarded PCCM programs, are the USnews rankings close to accurate? Some random programs on there as well as some omissions from what I consider typical powerhouses of IM

I asked my school to do it. There weren’t any hiccups.

Just to confirm, the USMLE transcripts just stay as “authorized”, right? They don’t eventually change to “uploaded” like the MSPE?

Yea I think you just authorize, but when you assign it to the program and send it, they charge you money and send it. Don't think it would need be uploaded

for LOR, someone told be we have to have one letter from Program director. Is that true? or its just program specific

I am applying for Pulmonary Critical Care this year. 237/228, residency from a community program, graduated in 2016. Currently academic hospitalist at an University program. I am trying to figure out if and how to put in my work in last 3 years apart from the clinical work in the application.

1. Lectures for residents and PA fellows in training. Should they be mentioned them separately or as one.
2. Professional development courses: point of care ultrasound training, longitudinal teaching skills course, leadership courses.
3. Ongoing research projects: I have 3 separate research projects with different going on as PI or co-investigator without a publication. Should I put them in as separate research experience or lump them together as one.

I would appreciate your thoughts on these.

Some more new questions:
- I had been a part of an editorial board of a book - should I list this as "Research" or "Volunteer" experience?
- What do you guys think of the way the ERAS CV orders your publications? It actually does it alphabetically using the authors' names, which makes NO sense. Someone figures a good way around it a few years ago - check out this link:
CHECK THIS THREAD OUT
ERAS Stupid Order of Publications

what do you think of this way to order your publications in ERAS?

Is Wash U not listing their program in the Pulm Crit Match this year? Searched every form of Washington, Barnes, Saint Louis, even the state of Missouri and can't seem to find it?

PCCM
US MD - academic IM residency program known for clinical rigor
250/250/250
National poster x2 including oral presentation at ATS rapid
Two small peer reviewed pieces in major journal (jama IM)

It’s hard to find a list of nationally well regarded PCCM programs, are the USnews rankings close to accurate? Some random programs on there as well as some omissions from what I consider typical powerhouses of IM

Your mentors haven't given you a list?

Sounds like a very nice little list of research coming from an academic IM program.

The Biggest dogs in academic PCCM are: Colorado, UCSF, Penn, UW, Michigan, Pitt, Vandy, Hopkins, WashU, Duke

Honorable mentions: UCLA, UCSD, SWern, NWern, UChicago, UAB, Emory (malignant reputation), Columbia, Cornell, Yale

Your mentors haven't given you a list?

Sounds like a very nice little list of research coming from an academic IM program.

The Biggest dogs in academic PCCM are: Colorado, UCSF, Penn, UW, Michigan, Pitt, Vandy, Hopkins, WashU, Duke

Honorable mentions: UCLA, UCSD, SWern, NWern, UChicago, UAB, Emory (malignant reputation), Columbia, Cornell, Yale
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Mayo?

The Programs that ask one letter has to be from Program Director, would Assistant Program Director letter work?

The LOR requirement number is really inconsistent. Some programs say 3 (including PD, which essentially is 2 from anyone else/or specialty) while others may just say "3". For those places that dont specific, are people just sending all the letters?

The LOR requirement number is really inconsistent. Some programs say 3 (including PD, which essentially is 2 from anyone else/or specialty) while others may just say "3". For those places that dont specific, are people just sending all the letters?
i've heard that it is important to send the exact number of letters, as required (mentioned in their websites) to each program.

if you just send 4 letters, apparently, they (coordinators) just pick any 3 (may keep an important one out - eg. PDs)

how long are people keeping their personal statements - word limits?

True. So I should assume those that say 3, not specifying PD is included might actually mean PD included. It's difficult when you apply because the requirements arent uniform. So places ask for CV or copy of diploma, while others dont. *sigh*
i've heard that it is important to send the exact number of letters, as required (mentioned in their websites) to each program.

if you just send 4 letters, apparently, they (coordinators) just pick any 3 (may keep an important one out - eg. PDs)

Also quick question. For those of us that dont have an inhouse fellowship program, are you using your PD letter as your "home IM letter" and other letters as those in the specialty? For example, I did an away rotation at a program with a fellowship and will have a letter from that faculty.

how long are people keeping their personal statements - word limits?

the only advice i've gotten is to keep it under a page as it looks when uploaded, which is ~500-600 words it seems

Anyone know if we should expect our NRMP # from the residency match to carry over to the fellowship match? Or should it be left blank on ERAS for now? NRMP registration doesn't open until Aug 28

Just send 4. Seriously. Nobody's throwing anything out. I promise.

I mean, nobody's probably reading them either, but that's a different issue altogether.
Gutonc, you mean the LORs don’t get to be read? So what indices do the programs use to choose who to invite for interviews? What part of the application is most important? I thought they said strong letters matter a lot

Gutonc, you mean the LORs don’t get to be read? So what indices do the programs use to choose who to invite for interviews? What part of the application is most important? I thought they said strong letters matter a lot

Your photo

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else having a hard time getting their letters of rec to post? My letters have been stuck in EFDO processing for about a week now. Wondering if I should email them or if everyone is having this problem and they are just backed up.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you still submit the application to programs without LORs uploaded, and you can upload them and assign them later as they become available? I don't think I would have all my LORs uploaded till July 15th. I think it will be by the end of July and not sure if that would be too late? any input?

Can you still submit the application to programs without LORs uploaded, and you can upload them and assign them later as they become available? I don't think I would have all my LORs uploaded till July 15th. I think it will be by the end of July and not sure if that would be too late? any input?

I’m fairly sure you can, but I can’t speak to exactly how much of a disadvantage applying late would be.

I am in a similar situation. I assume that you can apply and then upload the letters once we have them.

Just apply

But until the three letters minimum are uploaded, the program coordinator is not going to do the "screen" and will not give the application package to the PD.

If three letters are in and you have a late fourth letter, the coordinator usually gets the ERAS update and will put it into your file, assuming you are accepted and scheduled for an interview.

Combined nephrology CC program are few, I know some of them like : Jersey shore university hospital, Allegheny med center, University of Texas dallas and St antonio, Henry Ford hospital. there is almost only 6-7 programs that offers combined training.

Combined nephrology CC program are few, I know some of them like : Jersey shore university hospital, Allegheny med center, University of Texas dallas and St antonio, Henry Ford hospital. there is almost only 6-7 programs that offers combined training.
Dude...enough. We know you're recruiting for one of those programs. Nobody cares. Stop it. Now.

Does anyone know if it's worth delaying submitting the application by around a day to wait for the PD letter to process?

Getting the interview invitation list started!

Mayo- Rochester (7/16)

IMG, small community program. Don’t need a visa. No interviews yet.