PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2019-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I just finished up my first year at the Philly campus and I just wanted to share my experience and some information on linkage from this program. I started this program last fall with the goal of getting into medical school after the first year in the program. I viewed the second year as a backup plan if I did not get in after my first year. I was attracted to this program due to the conditional acceptance with a 3.3. I thought this would be a very reasonable threshold to meet. I had a 504 MCAT going into the program, and 3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA from undergrad.

The first semester I earned a 3.3 and was given an interview for January. Based on the people I have talked to, if you get a 3.0, and meet the other requirements you'll get an interview. The winter semester is hard. It dropped my GPA to under a 3. This past semester was completely online due to coronavirus and had open note exams. This greatly reduced the stress and the difficulty of the classes.

Going back to the linkage, about 100 people started the program in the fall. I know some people who have dropped out, but I am unsure exactly how many. So far, 12 people have been accepted into the DO program, so only small amount find out about their acceptance early. However, I expect there to be another wave of acceptances now that the year has ended. Though I should add, there are a lot of students who want to earn their masters and did not apply this year. During orientation they shared last year 17 first years and 24 second years entered the DO class of 2023 .

I applied broadly to DO schools while in this program. I received 5 interviews and have been accepted to a well regarded DO school. PCOM is my first choice, but I am still waiting for a decision. They want to see my final first year grades, which just ended. Because I applied broadly during my first year, I had to take time away from my classes to work on secondaries during the fall semester, and interviews during the winter semester. I do think this effected my grades, especially in the Winter. I did however, get into med school, so I can't complain.

If you get the masters, I think you have a really good shot at getting in. Almost all the second years that I have talked to have been accepted to the DO program, even ones that earned Cs in a class or had to retake some classes.

After finishing the first year, my feeling is to only do this program if you know you want to go to PCOM and focus on that. Study hard and a 3.3 is attainable, and if you don't get in the first year, you most likely will after the second. Based on my experiences I think that applying broadly takes too much time away from this program, and even if you get a 3.3 GPA it will not be impressive enough to the other schools.

For those wondering, I was waitlisted and withdrew my application shortly after. Though I am a little salty Im not going to PCOM, I am 3 weeks into medical school, and I am extremely well prepared due to the Biomed program. For those curious about linkage, I believe about 22 first years have been accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those wondering, I was waitlisted and withdrew my application shortly after. Though I am a little salty Im not going to PCOM, I am 3 weeks into medical school, and I am extremely well prepared due to the Biomed program. For those curious about linkage, I believe about 22 first years have been accepted.
Thank you for updating! Do you know how many first years were interviewed?

Reactions: 1 user
If you meet all the requirements for a conditional offer as a second year student, are you a hundred percent guaranteed a spot after finishing the masters?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you meet all the requirements for a conditional offer as a second year student, are you a hundred percent guaranteed a spot after finishing the masters?
No it’s dependent on your performance in the interview

No it’s dependent on your performance in the interview

even if it says conditional acceptance? I’m a little confused to the difference between the conditional acceptance and conditional interview?

even if it says conditional acceptance? I’m a little confused to the difference between the conditional acceptance and conditional interview?

So, I met all the requirements for the conditional interview, and did not meet all the requirements for the conditional acceptance. Therefore I was given an interview, but I was not accepted. If you interview and impress them, but do not meet the conditional acceptance requirements, you still have a chance to get accepted. If you meet the requirements for the conditional acceptance but interview very poorly, they do not have to accept you.

Canceled my acceptance, hopefully someone else will get the seat. Good luck

On gradcas, I see an option to apply to the south georgia and georgia campus, but i don't see an option for philly...any ideas why?

On gradcas, I see an option to apply to the south georgia and georgia campus, but i don't see an option for philly...any ideas why?
I had this issue! When you go to add a program, you need to manually type in "Philadelphia College...medicine", and then it should pop up in the list. Like, type out the whole thing.

FYI, this page is for people who applied last cycle. There is a different page on SDN if you're applying this cycle to begin Aug 2021.

I had this issue! When you go to add a program, you need to manually type in "Philadelphia College...medicine", and then it should pop up in the list. Like, type out the whole thing.

FYI, this page is for people who applied last cycle. There is a different page on SDN if you're applying this cycle to begin Aug 2021.
sounds good! thanks!
do you mind sharing the link for the aug 2021 cycle? i couldnt' find it