PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2019-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys think they will have classes on campus in the fall?
The million dollar question.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard when they will send the next wave of acceptances/rejections?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard when they will send the next wave of acceptances/rejections?
today!! Just saw the $250 deposit on my portal for georgia!!

Also a current first year biomed. They told us during orientation to basically take the conditional acceptance with a grain of salt since it was a new addition to the program brochure basically. If you maintain above a B+ average in the program you're most likely guaranteed an interview. I applied and was not given an interview with a 3.4 gpa and a 505 mcat. As far as a I know a lot of people get into the DO program through the masters program but I only know of one person who got in as a first year.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Also a current first year biomed. They told us during orientation to basically take the conditional acceptance with a grain of salt since it was a new addition to the program brochure basically. If you maintain above a B+ average in the program you're most likely guaranteed an interview. I applied and was not given an interview with a 3.4 gpa and a 505 mcat. As far as a I know a lot of people get into the DO program through the masters program but I only know of one person who got in as a first year.

Do you know why you weren't given the interview? I thought that if you met every condition on the guaranteed interview checklist then you are getting an interview? I attended the BMS program info session in May and they stated that ~30 BMS students get into the DO program each year. However only like < 10 students are from the 1st year and the remaining students are scattered from 2nd years and graduates. Is this information not accurate?

It seems like you met all the criteria but still were not even given an interview......is that correct?

Just spoke to someone about this since I am an incoming first year and the conditional acceptance is legit you just have to meet all the criteria listed on the website. Some students don't make it into the D.O. program after the first year because of the 3.2 science GPA requirement (including undergrad) even if you get the 3.3 after the first year. In that case you would need to do the 2nd year and if you will look on the website it says the overall science is not part of the D.O. conditional acceptance requirements after the 2nd year. Not sure about your particular situation but if you meet all the requirements you should be speaking to someone about why you didn't get in.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Are you at the GA or PA location? Just from reading everyone’s posts the two schools seem to operate pretty differently even though they both carry the PCOM name.

I was in the PA location. I did speak to the admissions office they basically said that my GPA wasn't good enough to be guaranteed an interview. In the biomed program itself I had a 3.1 as of the second trimester so that could factor into it.

I mean if you keep up with the program, and do both years you have a better shot at getting in vs not that's fair to say. I think the program this year began with about 120 ish kids. and we're down to about 90 or so. A large percentage of those get in supposedly. I was under the impression that more would matriculate in after the first year since the second year seems like kind of a fluff chill year.

I mean if you keep up with the program, and do both years you have a better shot at getting in vs not that's fair to say. I think the program this year began with about 120 ish kids. and we're down to about 90 or so. A large percentage of those get in supposedly. I was under the impression that more would matriculate in after the first year since the second year seems like kind of a fluff chill year.
That’s interesting. At the virtual info session they reported a fewer number of people getting accepted to the biomed program and a higher number of students matriculating between the first and second years, combined. Maybe the #’s are skewed this year because of corona?
Also how is the curriculum, teachers and exams? Level of difficulty let’s say compared to MCAT? Projects?
Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone look over my resume and personal statement and give me some feedback?

Hi, so my GPA just finished sophomore year of college, still need Ochem before applying but it’s a 3.7 science and 3.8 overall. I think I want to do the biomed program. I know I won’t get in just because of how hard Ochem is here at the university of Georgia. Plus I have to take genetics and biochem. However, was wondering how is the program? Is it hard? If I keep the GPA can I get into the D.O. Program? I just don’t want this to be a $45,000 waste of money. Some ppl may say to not do it and just apply anyway, well I am but I just want to be secured. Thanks! Good luck to everyone!

Hi, so my GPA just finished sophomore year of college, still need Ochem before applying but it’s a 3.7 science and 3.8 overall. I think I want to do the biomed program. I know I won’t get in just because of how hard Ochem is here at the university of Georgia. Plus I have to take genetics and biochem. However, was wondering how is the program? Is it hard? If I keep the GPA can I get into the D.O. Program? I just don’t want this to be a $45,000 waste of money. Some ppl may say to not do it and just apply anyway, well I am but I just want to be secured. Thanks! Good luck to everyone!
You don't need this program so long as you maintain your GPAs...

That’s interesting. At the virtual info session they reported a fewer number of people getting accepted to the biomed program and a higher number of students matriculating between the first and second years, combined. Maybe the #’s are skewed this year because of corona?
Also how is the curriculum, teachers and exams? Level of difficulty let’s say compared to MCAT? Projects?
Thank you for your input!
I would say the first year at the PA program was pretty difficult. The course and classes are structured so a lot of the content is similar to what you would take in M1. The course material is more advanced than you would see on the mcat. I don't know the class average myself. I know that for the biochem and immunology trimester the exam averages were 70s. The Histology and Anatomy block were in the 80s.

Is there a discrepancy in the stats here? I’m hoping to get into PCOM after the foundation year (in large part, to avoid excessive debt on top of med school) but is it true that only single digits of student actually matriculate following the foundational year? Can anyone offer any insight into this?

Is there a discrepancy in the stats here? I’m hoping to get into PCOM after the foundation year (in large part, to avoid excessive debt on top of med school) but is it true that only single digits of student actually matriculate following the foundational year? Can anyone offer any insight into this?
This is purely anecdotal. As far as I know three people from the class matriculated in after the first year in the PA program, and you need to maintain that high average from the beginning since if you want to matriculate in you have to send in your transcripts every trimester.

that's a pretty big discrepancy that the 1st year interview/acceptance is basically a sham. going to withdraw my acceptance from this program and go somewhere else instead

So this program really isn’t even worth to do if accepted since the linkages are weak? Am I better off doing Temple’s ACHS or Drexel’s MBS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is purely anecdotal. As far as I know only one person from the class matriculated in after the first year in the PA program.
that's a pretty big discrepancy that the 1st year interview/acceptance is basically a sham. going to withdraw my acceptance from this program and go somewhere else instead
i'd say it's about the same as every other program

i'd say it's about the same as every other program

the point is that these programs lure people to take on 50k+ in debt for a chance at a linkage when in reality this linkage is fairly new, uncertain, and dubious at best.

other linkages are actually different

the point is that these programs lure people to take on 50k+ in debt for a chance at a linkage when in reality this linkage is fairly new, uncertain, and dubious at best.

other linkages are actually different
So I don’t know what’s going on in the med world from an admin perspective but a number of schools have changed (added or altered requirements/benchmarks) to those linkage programs in the past years. For example NOVA in FL had a direct bridge to their DO school until this year. They recently restructured the whole set up where now it’s just a regular Biomed MS and there’s no more guaranteed acceptance, only an interview.

All these MS to DO link programs are saying you can qualify for a guaranteed interview pending XYZ, but there are a number of other factors that play into it, which comes out during the interview in most cases in addition to your general performance in the program. That’s why any admissions counselor I ever spoke to always used the same line of “an interview does not guarantee acceptance”. In reality, nothing is guaranteed with this whole application process. I know people who had 5+ interviews and no acceptances and people who got one interview and get in—all of which had the right numbers and solid resumes.

Keep in mind also a lot of the MS programs offered by medical schools are set up in a ‘med school trial’ fashion so that you can prove not only to them but other schools you can handle a graduate medical curriculum if you were unable to demonstrate that in undergrad for whatever reason.

By no means am I defending PCOM, it’s just that’s the setup nationwide and continuously morphing. I think this may have something to do in part with the general shift in a lot of students holding an MS before applying to med schools these days because it’s the new norm.

Can anyone clarify for me that I'm interpreting the cost of attendance correctly: I understand that if you do only 1 year (9 months) that the COA is around 51k, but if you end up doing the 2nd year as well (12months total), are they communicating that it will be an additional 54k? Or is it that your total debt after 2 years is projected to be 54k?

Or for a 2yr MS degree it would cost 105k?

Can anyone clarify for me that I'm interpreting the cost of attendance correctly: I understand that if you do only 1 year (9 months) that the COA is around 51k, but if you end up doing the 2nd year as well (12months total), are they communicating that it will be an additional 54k? Or is it that your total debt after 2 years is projected to be 54k?
$24,054 is the cost of tuition for the credits for the second year. The $54,449 total cost of attendance is higher than first year because the sum is increased for your cost of living since you'll be enrolled 12 mo instead of 9 mo.

$24,054 is the cost of tuition for the credits for the second year. The $54,449 total cost of attendance is higher than first year because the sum is increased for your cost of living since you'll be enrolled 12 mo instead of 9 mo.
Gotcha, thank you for clarifying that for me!

So I don’t know what’s going on in the med world from an admin perspective but a number of schools have changed (added or altered requirements/benchmarks) to those linkage programs in the past years. For example NOVA in FL had a direct bridge to their DO school until this year. They recently restructured the whole set up where now it’s just a regular Biomed MS and there’s no more guaranteed acceptance, only an interview.

All these MS to DO link programs are saying you can qualify for a guaranteed interview pending XYZ, but there are a number of other factors that play into it, which comes out during the interview in most cases in addition to your general performance in the program. That’s why any admissions counselor I ever spoke to always used the same line of “an interview does not guarantee acceptance”. In reality, nothing is guaranteed with this whole application process. I know people who had 5+ interviews and no acceptances and people who got one interview and get in—all of which had the right numbers and solid resumes.

Keep in mind also a lot of the MS programs offered by medical schools are set up in a ‘med school trial’ fashion so that you can prove not only to them but other schools you can handle a graduate medical curriculum if you were unable to demonstrate that in undergrad for whatever reason.

By no means am I defending PCOM, it’s just that’s the setup nationwide and continuously morphing. I think this may have something to do in part with the general shift in a lot of students holding an MS before applying to med schools these days because it’s the new norm.
Well the only DO biomedical master's with true linkage/guaranteed acceptance is the program at VCOM so long as you meet the GPA benchmark and MCAT. It wise to invest in a program that is a year in length and has very strong linkage with the host medical school. PCOM doesn't have that and majority of biomed students in the program matriculate into the DO program after the 2nd year...so 80K or more extra debt.

Does anyone have an opinion on which of the three campuses might be best to attend? In theory, if you were accepted to all three locations, which do you think would be best for eventually matriculating to DO?

Hey! I'm applying next year so I thought I could reach out to this platform for a question I had. I know all three campuses offer the BMS program - can you apply to all 3 (kind of like ranking them by preference)? Or are you only allowed to apply to one campus?

Applied early May and completed mid May! Hoping to hear back soon but I know COVID is probably slowing things down quite a bit. Anyone else still waiting to hear back?

Is there something we should be doing to prepare for classes--any next steps? I accepted financial aid and did the criminal background check. Do we just wait for admin to register us or did I miss an email with more instructions on what to do?

Hey guys, I just finished up my first year at the Philly campus and I just wanted to share my experience and some information on linkage from this program. I started this program last fall with the goal of getting into medical school after the first year in the program. I viewed the second year as a backup plan if I did not get in after my first year. I was attracted to this program due to the conditional acceptance with a 3.3. I thought this would be a very reasonable threshold to meet. I had a 504 MCAT going into the program, and 3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA from undergrad.

The first semester I earned a 3.3 and was given an interview for January. Based on the people I have talked to, if you get a 3.0, and meet the other requirements you'll get an interview. The winter semester is hard. It dropped my GPA to under a 3. This past semester was completely online due to coronavirus and had open note exams. This greatly reduced the stress and the difficulty of the classes.

Going back to the linkage, about 100 people started the program in the fall. I know some people who have dropped out, but I am unsure exactly how many. So far, 12 people have been accepted into the DO program, so only small amount find out about their acceptance early. However, I expect there to be another wave of acceptances now that the year has ended. Though I should add, there are a lot of students who want to earn their masters and did not apply this year. During orientation they shared last year 17 first years and 24 second years entered the DO class of 2023 .

I applied broadly to DO schools while in this program. I received 5 interviews and have been accepted to a well regarded DO school. PCOM is my first choice, but I am still waiting for a decision. They want to see my final first year grades, which just ended. Because I applied broadly during my first year, I had to take time away from my classes to work on secondaries during the fall semester, and interviews during the winter semester. I do think this effected my grades, especially in the Winter. I did however, get into med school, so I can't complain.

If you get the masters, I think you have a really good shot at getting in. Almost all the second years that I have talked to have been accepted to the DO program, even ones that earned Cs in a class or had to retake some classes.

After finishing the first year, my feeling is to only do this program if you know you want to go to PCOM and focus on that. Study hard and a 3.3 is attainable, and if you don't get in the first year, you most likely will after the second. Based on my experiences I think that applying broadly takes too much time away from this program, and even if you get a 3.3 GPA it will not be impressive enough to the other schools.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys, I just finished up my first year at the Philly campus and I just wanted to share my experience and some information on linkage from this program. I started this program last fall with the goal of getting into medical school after the first year in the program. I viewed the second year as a backup plan if I did not get in after my first year. I was attracted to this program due to the conditional acceptance with a 3.3. I thought this would be a very reasonable threshold to meet. I had a 504 MCAT going into the program, and 3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA from undergrad.

The first semester I earned a 3.3 and was given an interview for January. Based on the people I have talked to, if you get a 3.0, and meet the other requirements you'll get an interview. The winter semester is hard. It dropped my GPA to under a 3. This past semester was completely online due to coronavirus and had open note exams. This greatly reduced the stress and the difficulty of the classes.

Going back to the linkage, about 100 people started the program in the fall. I know some people who have dropped out, but I am unsure exactly how many. So far, 12 people have been accepted into the DO program, so only small amount find out about their acceptance early. However, I expect there to be another wave of acceptances now that the year has ended. Though I should add, there are a lot of students who want to earn their masters and did not apply this year. During orientation they shared last year 17 first years and 24 second years entered the DO class of 2023 .

I applied broadly to DO schools while in this program. I received 5 interviews and have been accepted to a well regarded DO school. PCOM is my first choice, but I am still waiting for a decision. They want to see my final first year grades, which just ended. Because I applied broadly during my first year, I had to take time away from my classes to work on secondaries during the fall semester, and interviews during the winter semester. I do think this effected my grades, especially in the Winter. I did however, get into med school, so I can't complain.

If you get the masters, I think you have a really good shot at getting in. Almost all the second years that I have talked to have been accepted to the DO program, even ones that earned Cs in a class or had to retake some classes.

After finishing the first year, my feeling is to only do this program if you know you want to go to PCOM and focus on that. Study hard and a 3.3 is attainable, and if you don't get in the first year, you most likely will after the second. Based on my experiences I think that applying broadly takes too much time away from this program, and even if you get a 3.3 GPA it will not be impressive enough to the other schools.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. My thing is, I have a strong GPA and MCAT but i'm scared that I won't get in. my Issue is that i dont have the money to spend to drop on a program that may or may not benefit me. How would you say your experience was when choosing a bridge program like this? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your undergrad stats? Good luck with the other schools, my top two choices are PCOM and VCOM!

Thank you for sharing your experiences. My thing is, I have a strong GPA and MCAT but i'm scared that I won't get in. my Issue is that i dont have the money to spend to drop on a program that may or may not benefit me. How would you say your experience was when choosing a bridge program like this? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your undergrad stats? Good luck with the other schools, my top two choices are PCOM and VCOM!

For me, when looking at a "bridge program" I wanted to see a clear path to an acceptance. PCOM had the conditional acceptance which was one of the reasons I chose this program. Additionally, I viewed this as an extra year or an unplanned year. I wanted to make it as cheap as possible. Because I am from Philadelphia, I was able to live at home and commute.

My stats are in my original post. If you have a strong GPA and MCAT and do well in in one of these programs you will get in. Doing well will take a lot of hard work. Be prepared to work.

Is there anyone who completed the first year at South Georgia who can share their experience? Also is there a Facebook page for south ga?

Thanks for replying with your experience. Have you heard from any classmates that met some of the criteria (not all of the criteria) for conditional acceptance/guaranteed interview, but ended up getting interviews? I am mainly concerned as I fulfill everything on the conditional interview/guaranteed acceptance except for the MCAT requirement. To be more specific I fulfill the MCAT score requirement (MCAT greater than 50 percentile), but 2 of my subsections fell below 40 percentile on my most recent attempt. I was told in email that the committee is holistic, but I don't really wanna commit a full year if this program won't help my application. Have you also heard from any students that got the interview, but didn't get a favorable review from the committee?

Last edited:

On an unrelated question, but are the exams open-ended or multiple choice? What is the grading like? Are the grades based on class rank or is it where like only 10% of the class can get an A and so forth?

Really confused on how the linkage is going. A couple of students in the program shared their thought and it seems that not many people are getting in. However, when I asked the admissions rep, they stated 51 students got in from last year out of 110-130 students.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 1.52.33 PM.png

This was shared with the PA campus last year during orientation. I know it is blurry, but the x axis is the incoming DO class year. The Y axis is students admitted. The upper bar is first years, the lower bar is second years. Keep in mind the class size changes year to year.

It sounds like admissions is combining the first and second year classes. I am pretty sure around 12 first years have been accepted. So the 51 that admissions stated means a lot of second years been accepted??? Which is consistent with my observations

Reactions: 2 users
Random question here, someone had mentioned earlier that the first year application requieres LOR as traditional applications but that fall professors are not able to provide the letters because the application begins prior to the classes ending? Essentially meaning you have to come in with you solid LORs from the beginning. Is this true? Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Random question here, someone had mentioned earlier that the first year application requieres LOR as traditional applications but that fall professors are not able to provide the letters because the application begins prior to the classes ending? Essentially meaning you have to come in with you solid LORs from the beginning. Is this true? Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, you’ll need recommendations from your undergrad professors or a committee letter for this application cycle. They said at the info session that the teachers in the program won’t write you one because they don’t know you well enough after only completing the first trimester.

Hey, so I submitted my application yesterday, will I get an email from PCOM as well with information about application tracker?

I’m declining their offer as the linkage seems shaky... Good luck to everyone else!

Hey, so I submitted my application yesterday, will I get an email from PCOM as well with information about application tracker?
Yes! you'll get an email with a PCOM portal ID and password which you can use to see if your application is completed. In some occasions, you can also see if you've been accepted before the letter arrives. The deposit will be posted to your account which means youre accepted the latter would be coming shortly after! Good luck!

Yes! you'll get an email with a PCOM portal ID and password which you can use to see if your application is completed. In some occasions, you can also see if you've been accepted before the letter arrives. The deposit will be posted to your account which means youre accepted the latter would be coming shortly after! Good luck!
The acceptance letter*

Classes still starting 8/17 in PA? Or anyone get a more concrete date?
The only thing I saw online is that orientation is 8/17. They sent out an email requesting photos for the student IDs and in the email they said something along the lines of “we will get the IDs at orientation if it held in person”. I think they’re probably still trying to decide if classes will be online or not :(