PCOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wanted to say hi to everyone. I got accepted today and will be giving up my seat at Nova. Their inital deposit is $750 with the rest due later in march, $1200. I'm glad to avoid giving up that 1200. I currently am a master's student at Drexel college of medicine. For those people saying PCOM class size is big Drexel's is the same size. They currently do not have a room large enough to fit all 250 students and they telecast their lectures. I hope this puts it into a bit more of a prospective having experienced a large allopathic institution. I think their tution is about the same or slightly more expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

luv2jig said:
How do you check that?

Ahhhh!

That's for me to know and for you to find out!

:laugh: LOL just kidding, log on to nucleus, then click on the DO class of 2010 link and then click on "members" you will see everyone's name, date of birth social security number, undergrad grades MCAT etc

oh my bad...I guess only my access shows that ;)

Airzonk said:
Wanted to say hi to everyone. I got accepted today and will be giving up my seat at Nova. Their inital deposit is $750 with the rest due later in march, $1200. I'm glad to avoid giving up that 1200. I currently am a master's student at Drexel college of medicine. For those people saying PCOM class size is big Drexel's is the same size. They currently do not have a room large enough to fit all 250 students and they telecast their lectures. I hope this puts it into a bit more of a prospective having experienced a large allopathic institution. I think their tution is about the same or slightly more expensive.

Congrats Airzonk! See ya in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hibby417 said:
I'm going to ask this as well--anyone have the link to PCOM 2010's MySpace site? For those who were in Philly this weekend (sorry, I was in Florida), how did it go??

http://groups.myspace.com/pcom2010

I was in philly this weekend. I had a blast. Checked out roughly 10 apartment complexes and stuffed my face at some restaurants.....then consumed lots of alcohol. :( :(

I went to the admissions office and saw lots of people in the fishbowl. On monday PCOM was interviewing almost 20 people.

Oh yea... I tried to get my PCOM ID...and I was rejected. HAHA I guess I really have to send in that 2000 deposit. :smuggrin:

Forgot to tell everyone that I'm a big dork. I bought my first PCOM shirt.

Hot!!

551711742_l.jpg

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Forgot to tell everyone that I'm a big dork. I bought my first PCOM shirt.

Hot!!

551711742_l.jpg

Awesome! :thumbup:

hi everyone,

this is my 1st time posting and I just want to congratulate everyone for their acceptance. I got my acceptance letter last week and I will see you guy in August. Is there any current Pcom student who can give an insight of what it is like for first year. Do we need to buy the textbook? what about class attendance? when I interviewed at Pcom, a MSIV said he stopped going class after the 1st 10 weeks and a MSII, who is also our tour guide, said she never bought the textbooks because she never use them. Just try to save some money you know. last question, how do you guy prepare for the Complex? I know, so many questions because I just so excited + nervous :eek: to go to Med school.

Goped said:
hi everyone,

this is my 1st time posting and I just want to congratulate everyone for their acceptance. I got my acceptance letter last week and I will see you guy in August. Is there any current Pcom student who can give an insight of what it is like for first year. Do we need to buy the textbook? what about class attendance? when I interviewed at Pcom, a MSIV said he stopped going class after the 1st 10 weeks and a MSII, who is also our tour guide, said she never bought the textbooks because she never use them. Just try to save some money you know. last question, how do you guy prepare for the Complex? I know, so many questions because I just so excited + nervous :eek: to go to Med school.

Hey goped, congrats on your acceptance

I am not a student yet and I am sure you will get an entire miriad of opinions from current students

Nonetheless I wanted to point out that the test is COMLEX not COMPLEX, although I am sure anyone taking it would prefer calling it the COMPLEX :laugh:

Goped said:
hi everyone,

I just wanted to congratulate you on your acceptance. Just relax and enjoy your summer. Like MedHacker said..you will get answers to all your questions soon. Or at least during orientation...

hey guys, my pre-med advisor was supposed to send in my LOR three weeks ago, i called PCOM yesterday and they said it didn't show up on their computer, does that mean that they didn't recieve it or that it didn't get processed? does the LOR take three weeks to be "processed" just as the supplemental application or does it show up on the computer immediately? the interview season is winding down and i am hoping to get one from PCOM, is it possible if i tell them to consider me for an interview w/o the LOR and that it will be sent to them this week or next week by my pre-med advisor?

Whats up people...congrats on your acceptances. I'll try to answer as many of your questions as possible when I have time (ie when I'm procrastinating from studying). I was in your shoes last year and asked a ton of questions in the PCOM class of 2009 thread. Check that thread out for some really good advice...many of your questions will be answered.

BengaliDocIsl said:
hey guys, my pre-med advisor was supposed to send in my LOR three weeks ago, i called PCOM yesterday and they said it didn't show up on their computer, does that mean that they didn't recieve it or that it didn't get processed? does the LOR take three weeks to be "processed" just as the supplemental application or does it show up on the computer immediately? the interview season is winding down and i am hoping to get one from PCOM, is it possible if i tell them to consider me for an interview w/o the LOR and that it will be sent to them this week or next week by my pre-med advisor?

I seriously doubt the LOR takes 3 weeks to be processed. Your LOR must of been 'lost' or something. Don't know what else to tell you..hopefully they find it and send you an invite. Check with ur pre-med advisor again to double check that they sent your LOR.

BengaliDocIsl said:

Tell them you are really interested and concerned that the letter is holding you back, ask if in the mean time the letter can be faxed in, if yes, you know what to do - best wishes

Members don't see this ad :)
medhacker said:
Tell them you are really interested and concerned that the letter is holding you back, ask if in the mean time the letter can be faxed in, if yes, you know what to do - best wishes

Thanx a lot medhacker! great advice, i didn't even think about that. I am definitely going to do that. Should I send an email or do it by phone and also with the people who talk on the phone from admissions, are they part of making any decisions as to who to interview? and also with the fax machine, do faxes go immediately?, im just not familiar with a fax machine. THANX AGAIN.

Airzonk said:

Hey...congrats! When did u have ur interview? I see u r from Pittsburgh? Me too!

BengaliDocIsl said:
Thanx a lot medhacker! great advice, i didn't even think about that. I am definitely going to do that. Should I send an email or do it by phone and also with the people who talk on the phone from admissions, are they part of making any decisions as to who to interview? and also with the fax machine, do faxes go immediately?, im just not familiar with a fax machine. THANX AGAIN.

A pleasure. Call them and let them hear your voice - don't blow it! this may be your chance, ask them about the option of faxing it because you really want to attend PCOM because it is your dream school.

Faxes go in immediately the moment you are having them sent.

Is there any current Pcom student who can give an insight of what it is like for first year. Do we need to buy the textbook? what about class attendance?

Hey guys, congrats on your acceptance. I am an MSI and will be more than happy to answer any questions you all have. As far as textbooks, for the first semester you definitely need an anatomy book, there is NO way around this. As far as the other books go, you can get by without some of them. A few you will use extensively throughout the first two years (Bates Guide to H and P, Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease), but again you can get by without all of the "recommended" texts.

As far as class attendence goes, OMM prelabs, anatomy lab, OMM Lab, and PE Labs are mandatory, but besides that lecture attendance is not mandatory. At the beginning of the year everyone attended lecture, but now maybe 70% come regularly. We record the lectures on an mp3 player which is then posted online and people scribe the lectures and lecture notes are distributed to the class for a small yearly fee(the students do the scribing and are paid for it so if you scribe you can technically get all the notes free for the year in return for your services).

Lecture attendance is really up to you, I personally have not missed a class. I can usually follow along during class and then just reinforce it at night studying. The people that don't go to class usually pick and choose what lectures they go to based on the lecturer. For guest lecturers (we have alot of local docs not necessarily part of PCOM, usually faculty from some of the other med school, big name hospitals, a person doing research in the topic we are covering or alumni lecture) most people attend. Some students say they don't get much out of early morning lectures or are more productive studying on their own. It really depends on your studying preference.

can someone tell me when orientation starts this year? when do classes start? i just sent in my deposit the other day... which is a big relief since that I know I will be going to med school next year.

[/QUOTE]Lecture attendance is really up to you, I personally have not missed a class. I can usually follow along during class and then just reinforce it at night studying. The people that don't go to class usually pick and choose what lectures they go to based on the lecturer. For guest lecturers (we have alot of local docs not necessarily part of PCOM, usually faculty from some of the other med school, big name hospitals, a person doing research in the topic we are covering or alumni lecture) most people attend. Some students say they don't get much out of early morning lectures or are more productive studying on their own. It really depends on your studying preference.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your detailed description, it is really help and I will keep that in mind.

:D I got my received my acceptance the end of last week. It took awhile to get here since I moved and they hadn't changed my address in their system. I can honestly say that the wait darn near killed me, but the letter was pure delight! I now need some info on housing and I noticed that many people keep mentioning another board to go look at. Where do I go for some info?

mitawa said:
:D I got my received my acceptance the end of last week. It took awhile to get here since I moved and they hadn't changed my address in their system. I can honestly say that the wait darn near killed me, but the letter was pure delight! I now need some info on housing and I noticed that many people keep mentioning another board to go look at. Where do I go for some info?

Hi Mitawa

Congrats!!!

Wait till you can get your access to "nucleus" so you can login to the official PCOM site, links etc :thumbup:

medhacker said:
Hi Mitawa

Congrats!!!

Wait till you can get your access to "nucleus" so you can login to the official PCOM site, links etc :thumbup:
Thanks I kept hearing everyone else mention nucleus but I didn't know if i was something that I should have already known about and had access to. I guess I'll have to wait patiently. :rolleyes:

mitawa said:
Thanks I kept hearing everyone else mention nucleus but I didn't know if i was something that I should have already known about and had access to. I guess I'll have to wait patiently. :rolleyes:

You will recieve an acceptance binder once you send in your deposit (about 1-2 weeks after they deposit it). The binder will have your PCOM email addy and password...then you can access nucleus.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
You will recieve an acceptance binder once you send in your deposit (about 1-2 weeks after they deposit it). The binder will have your PCOM email addy and password...then you can access nucleus.
Well I spoke to them today and I know that they received my deposit so I'll keep my eyes glued to the mailbox :D

Well, i officially give up on PCOM today. yesterday i sent them an email but they didn't respond, they say they didn't recieve a letter from my pre-med advisor although i think they did but lost it, i did my secondary pretty late, it is late in the cycle, interviews are almost done. nothing is going my way so i'll have to try for next year i guess.

BengaliDocIsl said:
Well, i officially give up on PCOM today. yesterday i sent them an email but they didn't respond, they say they didn't recieve a letter from my pre-med advisor although i think they did but lost it, i did my secondary pretty late, it is late in the cycle, interviews are almost done. nothing is going my way so i'll have to try for next year i guess.

email?

why didn't you call them?

BengaliDocIsl said:

Sorry man!

Class of 2011?

medhacker said:
Sis. drop the SOM like it's hot and head on to PCOM, believe you me when I tell you this. If you are still confused I will PM you my reasons to choose PCOM over UMDNJ any day, any time for sure :)

i'm trying to make this decision right now as well (umdnj-som vs. pcom), so any reasons you have would be appreciated...thanks. :)

Hey

what has everyone been up to since they recieved that acceptance letter?

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Hey

what has everyone been up to since they recieved that acceptance letter?

study and try to pass all my classes. I feel so lazy now after receiving my acceptance letter; can't wait until this semester is over. Also I am still waiting for pcom package for logging on to nucleus. They have been deposited my check for a week now.

Goped said:
study and try to pass all my classes. I feel so lazy now after receiving my acceptance letter; can't wait until this semester is over. Also I am still waiting for pcom package for logging on to nucleus. They have been deposited my check for a week now.

Hey PM with your name. They just updated nucleus and there are apprx. ~275 students listed there.

hi everyone,

I never have been to Philly before (not travelling that much), I just wonder what are there to do when you have some free time or when you want to take a break from studying.

i really appreciate your avatar, medhacker.

luv2jig said:
i really appreciate your avatar, medhacker.

With love!

Hey, anyone know if we have a talent show at PCOM? I know other schools have it, I think that would be fun :love:

medhacker said:
With love!

Hey, anyone know if we have a talent show at PCOM? I know other schools have it, I think that would be fun :love:

I'm sure they do. Whats your talent?

hey, random question, does anyone know where pcom does rotations...what hospitals? thanks

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
I'm sure they do. Whats your talent?

hmm i duno man, but I can surely pick something up real quick just to be on it :laugh:

medhacker said:
With love!

That would definitely be fun...I'll have to bust out the irish dancing :luck:

MCATHELP said:
thanks for the posts. i guess i'm a little confused though. from what i've heard at umdnj som you have to rotate at the three (?) affiliated hospitals. you have to work "within system." but it seems like with pcom there are a lot of hospitals you can rotate at. do they have mandatory hospitals you have to rotate at during 3rd year?
in all honesty I don't know too much else about rotations....you can try to look around on the pcom site that I posted for more detailed info....or try contacting some older pcom'ers on this site

do you get access to nucleus after the 250 deposit or the 2000 deposit?

luv2jig said:
do you get access to nucleus after the 250 deposit or the 2000 deposit?[/QUOTE

You get access after your $250 deposit. Our 2000 is due May 15th, right? Also, do any of you happen to know how long it takes PCOM to send us our financial aid info after filling out the FAFSA?

Last year, we didn't get our info till the end of June.

Hey you all,

I'm really interested in PCOM, but I have a question. Does PCOM accept students evenly distributed all over the country, or do they want students particularly from the PA area.

Also, What kind of GPA/MCAT do I need to be accepted there as someone not from PA? (I'm from NC, BTW.)

Packamylase said:
Hey you all,

I'm really interested in PCOM, but I have a question. Does PCOM accept students evenly distributed all over the country, or do they want students particularly from the PA area.

Also, What kind of GPA/MCAT do I need to be accepted there as someone not from PA? (I'm from NC, BTW.)

I don't know if this is true for others( I am from MD), but while GPA/MCAT are important they are not the only factors that will get you accepted. So there is no real GPA/MCAT score you need to definitely have to get you in, I am sure there is a range.

Things like outside activity, whether study abroad, volunteering, clubs, leadership roles, theatre, etc. are things that also way heavily. Can you be well rounded and stay on track for medical school?

Remember, Always play up your strengths.

Is anyone in the know of where we get the forms or information about what physical evaluations we need (shots, tests, etc?) prior to matriculation?

I still haven't found anything on nucleus about it.

Jaynine said:
I don't know if this is true for others( I am from MD), but while GPA/MCAT are important they are not the only factors that will get you accepted. So there is no real GPA/MCAT score you need to definitely have to get you in, I am sure there is a range.

Things like outside activity, whether study abroad, volunteering, clubs, leadership roles, theatre, etc. are things that also way heavily. Can you be well rounded and stay on track for medical school?

Remember, Always play up your strengths.

I understand what you're saying. What I mean is, Are those outside of the NE held to a higher standard of acceptance because you're not in the geographical area?

Maybe some one knows here.