PCOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KMMD said:
Is anyone in the know of where we get the forms or information about what physical evaluations we need (shots, tests, etc?) prior to matriculation?
:cool:
I still haven't found anything on nucleus about it.

I called and asked about it..and Monica Jones from Student Services sent me a packet with the form. Basically you need all your immunization records sent over...a current Tetnas/Diptheria shot (within 5 years), PPD test (within 6-12 months), 4-5 polio shots, and of course MMR (Mumps measels and rubella).

You will also have to get 5 titers...chickenpox, hep b, and MMR.

Easy stuff. Just call PCOM if u need the form now. I believe they will send it to everyone in the spring...but I got it early because I scheduled a visit with my PCP so i wanted to get it over with.

Any other questions just shoot me a PM... I copied the form so I could fax it to you...then you can give it to your PCP.

Hasta Luego,
Jesús

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone receive the invitation for april 30th? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
DO Sigma Nu guy said:
I just recieved mine today. WooHoo. :)

Yo C, what up? you going?

medhacker said:
Yo C, what up? you going?

Oh yea man you know i'm going. I'm trying to get a hotel right now..the reception gives me an excuse to request monday off work and maybe that friday. :laugh: :laugh:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Oh yea man you know i'm going. I'm trying to get a hotel right now..the reception gives me an excuse to request monday off work and maybe that friday. :laugh: :laugh:

Cool, God willing - nos vemos!

Hey guys,

I just got my invite too- very excited!! :D

Is the biochem summer start program in June required? That is what it said on my letter of acceptance...I wasn't sure if this was true because when I talked to people they said it wasn't.

Jaynine said:
Is the biochem summer start program in June required? That is what it said on my letter of acceptance...I wasn't sure if this was true because when I talked to people they said it wasn't.

I'm not sure. I'm taking the summerstart class. I'll see ya there if you decide to go. I'm pretty excited just to leave Virginia.

Adios

Hi guys...just wanted to say hello...I'm gonna be starting up at PCOM this August as well and will be at the reception on April 30th ..can't wait to see you all! :)

Had a question regarding the Summerstart courses...when did you guys receive information about this? I didn't get any info about the summerstart course on my acceptance letter. Is the course for anyone who is interested or is it mandatory for everyone? I already took Biochem, so I'm thinking maybe that's why they aren't requiring me to take it :confused:

sweetz83 said:
Hi guys...just wanted to say hello...I'm gonna be starting up at PCOM this August as well and will be at the reception on April 30th ..can't wait to see you all! :)

Had a question regarding the Summerstart courses...when did you guys receive information about this? I didn't get any info about the summerstart course on my acceptance letter. Is the course for anyone who is interested or is it mandatory for everyone? I already took Biochem, so I'm thinking maybe that's why they aren't requiring me to take it :confused:

Dont wasteyour time with summer start, It is totally useless even if you have never had biochem before. The people who took it had no advantage in cell and tissue. Work a job and earn some money, you will need that more

JonnyG said:
Dont wasteyour time with summer start, It is totally useless even if you have never had biochem before. The people who took it had no advantage in cell and tissue. Work a job and earn some money, you will need that more
But on my letter it says it is mandatory. Maybe I should just call PCOM.

Jaynine said:
But on my letter it says it is mandatory. Maybe I should just call PCOM.

What up girl?
This is how it works, you can probably talk the admins out of requiring you to go. Do make sure, however, you do well in it during the year. If you don't and need to remediate/appear before the academic committee they will consider against you the fact that you declined the extra help when given... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
JonnyG said:

I already decided to go. I'm tired of the area i live in and i've saved enough money to live off of for a few months. Philly here I come. :)

If someone is on the waitlist and reads this I am giving up my seat. Sucks, I was really excited to start at PCOM. Good luck all.

Airzonk said:
If someone is on the waitlist and reads this I am giving up my seat. Sucks, I was really excited to start at PCOM. Good luck all.

Best wishes Airzonk, hopes alive for somone I am sure

newbie04 said:
I called a couple months ago and they said in a round about way that the SummerStart is for students that showed academic difficultly on their transcripts in the past. I saw a thread about SummerStart on SDN and they didn't mention anything on my acceptance letter, so I called to be safe.

I would call to make sure if it is mandatory for some students and not others (I think anyone can take it too if they want a "head start," but I don't see how a superficial summer BioChem course is gonna help all that much--just my 2 cents).
I think a big part of it is that I never had biochemistry. It always conflicted with classes in my major...the downside of a small school I suppose :cool:

Jaynine said:
I think a big part of it is that I never had biochemistry. It always conflicted with classes in my major...the downside of a small school I suppose :cool:

HAHA thats so funny. That was the first question I was asked when I interviewed. "Why didnt you take biochemistry?"

Now i'm in summerstart. :laugh:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
HAHA thats so funny. That was the first question I was asked when I interviewed. "Why didnt you take biochemistry?"

Now i'm in summerstart. :laugh:

go figure...yea, i am pretty sure that if it wasn't my first question it was my second.

See here is the thing, I already planned my vacation to PR starting July 9th and summerstart doesn't finish till the 14th. hmmm....pr? summerstart?

I will call them manana...lets see what they will say :oops:

Jaynine said:
go figure...yea, i am pretty sure that if it wasn't my first question it was my second.

See here is the thing, I already planned my vacation to PR starting July 9th and summerstart doesn't finish till the 14th. hmmm....pr? summerstart?

I will call them manana...lets see what they will say :oops:

Nice. My trip to PR is July 18th-August 3rd ish. Can't Wait. Go see some familia.

Hey guys, congrats on the acceptances. I participated in the summer start program this past year for the biochemistry portion only. Is the course required? For some people their acceptance is conditional upon them participating in this course for whatever reason(I am not sure what criteria they use). I believe these people may also have to take a summer anatomy course in addition to the biochem. I really do not know the specifics on this so don't quote me, call student affairs or admissions if you have further questions. I felt the course was helpful in that I knew the area, was moved into my apartment earlier and got to meet people in our class and some of the professors. I can't say that the couse helped me to prepare much for cell and tissue in the winter. It definitely helped somewhat, but since the course is not graded not everyone "gives it there all". We do cover some of the exact lectures from cell and tissue, we cover almost all of the glycolytic pathways, if you wanted to know what specific topics are covered. Therefore, you can get alot out of it if you want, but the value of the course is more than just the material you cover. You can PM me if you have any other specific questions. Good Luck!

I don't think the summer program is a bad idea. Good opportunity to make connections.

BTW is there anyone planning to attend PCOM Hospital Visitation Day this year? it should be fun.

What are the details of that program- I've never heard of it?

sweetz83 said:

I haven't received anything about the summerstart program either. I didn't even know it existed until just now! haha

Hi all. Did anyone receive the physical form the Student Wellness Center yet?

Did you get the mailing regarding the required deposit by May 15th? I didn't get this yet.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
I called and asked about it..and Monica Jones from Student Services sent me a packet with the form. Basically you need all your immunization records sent over...a current Tetnas/Diptheria shot (within 5 years), PPD test (within 6-12 months), 4-5 polio shots, and of course MMR (Mumps measels and rubella).

You will also have to get 5 titers...chickenpox, hep b, and MMR.

Easy stuff. Just call PCOM if u need the form now. I believe they will send it to everyone in the spring...but I got it early because I scheduled a visit with my PCP so i wanted to get it over with.

Any other questions just shoot me a PM... I copied the form so I could fax it to you...then you can give it to your PCP.

Hasta Luego,
Jesús

Here is a previous post.

I'm not sure about the background check, sorry.

Does anyone know if parents (or other family members) are also invited to the class of 2010 luncheon on the 30th?

I called the admissions office and they told me that spouses and others are welcome to the brunch. They also said if you had any other questions to email the office of admissions.

For all the OOS'ers which hotel are you staying in for the Welcome Reception on Sunday?

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
For all the OOS'ers which hotel are you staying in for the Welcome Reception on Sunday?

Anyone know what what kind attire is required for this sundays shindig?

MCATHELP said:
thanks for the posts. i guess i'm a little confused though. from what i've heard at umdnj som you have to rotate at the three (?) affiliated hospitals. you have to work "within system." but it seems like with pcom there are a lot of hospitals you can rotate at. do they have mandatory hospitals you have to rotate at during 3rd year?

I just came across this post and I'm unsure whether is has been answered on the last few pages but I will do the best I can to clarify this.

PCOMs affiliate list is long and has many different sites for rotations.

The way rotations are structured can be found here:

http://www.pcom.edu/Clinical_Education/Third_and_Fourth_Year_Programs/Third-_and_Fourth-Year.html

Each clerkship is one month unless otherwise noted:

Third year clerskships include: Peds, OB/GYN, Psych, IM, Cardio, Family, OMM/Family, Gen Surgery, Specialty Surgery, IM Selective and Radiology.

Fourth year clerkships include: IM, Rural Medicine, Urban Medicine (2 months), EMed, Sub-Internship, Ambulatory Surg/Surg Sub-I, 5 electives.

Near winter break of MS-II you will be placed into rotation groups. This is done by a lottery system...no need to worry about the details yet.

There are 11 rotations groups and each group has 22-25 students in it and it is among these 22-25 students that you will select your rotation site. You are given a list of the core rotations, all of which must be done at the listed sites, along with the hospitals that offer each rotation.

For example...it will look something like this:

Family Medicine
Hospital A - 3 spots
Hospital B - 1 spot
Hospital C - 4 spots
Hospital Z - 2 spots

Now, here is where things get tricky. Some rotations have many spots. So lets say Peds has 30 spots...higher likelihood that no one in the group will have to go to their absolutely last choice.

Some rotations ONLY have as many spots as there are students in the group. So lets say Cardiology has 25 spots...each spot will fill up.

There are also MUST FILL sites. For Urban Medicine there are 4 PCOM clinics which MUST fill each of there spots before any other person in the rotation group can select another site. So if there are 20 MUST FILL spots and 24 students, only 4 will get to go somewhere other than a PCOM clinic.

Dont worry...the rotations arent all too restrictive with non-core rotations.

For your electives you can pretty much do anything...and go anywhere. And 5 electives is really pretty nice.

Just as an example, here is a list of some of the places I rotated at:

City Avenue Peds
Roxborough Hospital
Northeastern Hospital
Mercy Catholic Medical
Misericordia
Lankenau Hospital
Abington Hospital
Mercy Suburban Hospital
Surgical Orthopedic Associates
Chestnut Hill Hospital
Frankford Hospital - Bucks County Campus
Sacred Heart Hospital - Allentown

I hope this has helped clarify some of this. Its really not something to worry about just yet. Concentrate on meeting people and passing Anatomy.

I will see all of you around the end of October when I will be back on OMM Teaching Fellowship. I will be coming off 4 straights months of surgical electives so please excuse me if my appearance at that time is a little slovenly!

Cheers

JPHazelton

Jonathan13180 said:
Anyone know what what kind attire is required for this sundays shindig?

As a general rule I would dress comfortable casual.

My name is Jonathan.

I am a first year PCOM student. If anyone is interested in finding out about housing for next year, please contact me. The apartment complex I live in is terrific and quiet and I highly recommend it!

[email protected]

Have fun this summer. :)

Wow almost a week and no one has posted anything. I guess everyone lost their SDN addiction.

Sadly I havent :(

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Wow almost a week and no one has posted anything. I guess everyone lost their SDN addiction.

Sadly I havent :(

Nah...everybody is just lurking! :laugh:

medhacker said:
Nah...everybody is just lurking! :laugh:

Yea you are right. There arent any good threads nowadays.

I admit it, I am addicted to SDN! I have to read the posts, besides there hasn't been alot of traffic in our group on Nucleus as of late. I guess next Monday is the big day to see who's staying and who's going! I can't wait until August!!

mitawa said:
I admit it, I am addicted to SDN! I have to read the posts, besides there hasn't been alot of traffic in our group on Nucleus as of late. I guess next Monday is the big day to see who's staying and who's going! I can't wait until August!!

Yeah

There's 291 accepted students as of today, let's see how it looks on Monday :)

medhacker said:
Yeah

WoW...i doubt PCOM will take off any waitlisters this year also.

medhacker said:
Yeah

I made sure that the admin ofc had my deposit. I hate to get dropped, because you're sure not getting back in! I'd be inconsolable!! :scared:

mitawa said:
I made sure that the admin ofc had my deposit. I hate to get dropped, because you're sure not getting back in! I'd be inconsolable!! :scared:

It's funny how they took their time to cash the first $250 but the $2k deposit was charged with the quickness! :laugh:

did anyone who was not asked to do the summer program receive their invite yet? $700 for the course, anyone doing it?

medhacker said:
It's funny how they took their time to cash the first $250 but the $2k deposit was charged with the quickness! :laugh:

did anyone who was not asked to do the summer program receive their invite yet? $700 for the course, anyone doing it?

Haha I was talking to my mom about that. The 250 dollar deposit took a few weeks, but the 2K one was out of my account in less than 6 days. WOW.

I doubt PCOM has sent anything for the summer course yet. I have information on it though since i'm taking Summerstart.

"Phase II begins July 5th, 2006 through July 14th 2006. The major segment of Phase II focuses on the introduction to Biochemistry. You will learn basic biochemistry principles and terminology, which will become invaluable."

medhacker said:

It's all about grabbing the money and running, you better be concrete in your decision else you'll feel like you've been mugged in a NY minute! :D

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
I doubt PCOM has sent anything for the summer course yet. I have information on it though since i'm taking Summerstart.

They charged me within 24 hours carnal... :eek:

They did send in info for the summer course, I am looking at it

mitawa said:
It's all about grabbing the money and running, you better be concrete in your decision else you'll feel like you've been mugged in a NY minute! :D
:laugh: :laugh:

I personally handed in my $2000 check in today at the admissions office. Now I'm broke!

medhacker said:

I received the invite in the mail, but I doubt I'm doing it. $700 is a bit steep for something that's only going to last for a week and two days... :rolleyes: I doubt I will remember it all by the time we get to biochem anyway...PCOM is getting no more money from me! :laugh:...except for tuition money of course.... :rolleyes:

I just recieved the invite also...eventhough i'm already taking it. :confused:

emidesu said:
I started a thread for class of 2011 but of course I meant 2010! Anyone else here?
I will be in the PCOM DO class 2010. Loves it!!! Can't wait to meet all of you guys.

Lady DO2010 ;)