PCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure there are some people who will drop PCOM in a second if they get a late acceptance or waitlist acceptance to Drexel, Jeff or Temple. As far as people applying only osteopathic- yeah, PCOM is top-notch and would be hard to turn down.

IMO Drexel or Temple would be steps down from PCOM in many ways. Unfortunately, there are those pesky letters behind your name that hold so much for many people.

Members don't see this ad.

Then it must have changed. Possibly due to budget cuts. Because I am applying right now through DIMER to PCOM and my documents clearly state that I am responsible for paying the full cost of tuition to PCOM directly; that the money paid by DE to PCOM is just for the priviledge of holding five seats for DE residents and giving them preferential admission status. My monetary reward comes into play later if I agree to return to Delaware and do primary care either in inner city Wilmington or downstate in a rural community. There's no up-front tuition break. Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no cheaper in-state tuition rate for PA residents either, right- even though they get preferential admissions? I think DE is just putting their kids on the same plane as PA residents.

there is not a discount for PA people. My friend didn't even know about the DE thing until he started school and he got extra cash. He then got an email form someone in the bursars office (i believe) so it still maybe going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i got my letter today and it sats the committe is going to "delay a decision on my application." They apparently are going to interview through the end of March and then decide :( What does this meannnn? Is this worse or better than waitlist? I seriously am so crushed. PCOM is my absolute number 1 choice. Everywhere else I interviewed at I was accepted except the only school I wanna go to. wowww, this is horrible. I mean, I guess it's not a rejection but still I feel like my chances of acceptance are getting slimmer and slimmer.

Anyone have thoughts on letters of intents? Would that be a good thing to do right now? Just to let the school know that this is where I wanna be next year?

Thanks for any advice. and congrats to the accepted people.

This is the same letter I got, I'm taking it as a waitlist letter in politically correct terms. I'm in the same boat as you, got accepted elsewhere, except my top choice (PCOM). Talk about crushed, you should see my right hand and the door to my bedroom. Has anyone ever used a letter of intent and worked? Is there any real benefit to these letters? What do you say and how long should it be?

Last edited:
i personally don't think the letter will do any good (although it doesn't hurt to try) they have so many interviews from now till the end of march into april that you can send all the letters you want, if they choose someone else that so be it. They are not hurting for students, that's for sure. I am waiting to get a letter which will probably come next week and i told them at my interview of my intent, so if they waitlist me or reject me than oh well......i'm not sending a letter and begging for their mercy...esp since i have other acceptances. If i don't get accepted i consider it their loss, not mine. Now, of course i would love to be at PCOM......but if they don't want me, than i don't think a letter will change that.

Hey guys. Is it too late for me to go and visit apartments around PCOM? I finally have time to do it next week. Was thinking of Beekman and Imperial.

Beekman is expensive. But, they do have openings. You can email the property manager from www.apartmentratings.com or another apartment website.

Thanks Bacchus. Yeah its expensive, but since I'm from a rural town in the middle of nowhere, I kinda want a safe and nice place. But do you know any nice apartments in Center City?

I wouldn't commute first year from Center City. Its going to get old quick. A major point for me as an incoming first year was to be as close to as many first years as possible.

I wouldn't commute first year from Center City. Its going to get old quick. A major point for me as an incoming first year was to be as close to as many first years as possible.

Which apartments are you talking about with a lot of first years? Do you mind if I ask you where you are going to be living?

geberally its better to stay away from other first years..........that gets old quick. Many people commute form center city or farther and never had a problem. Also most people dont find places to live until june/july

Hmm, I'm quite the people person, so I'm just speaking for myself.

There are a lot of apartments in and around the area however so there should be no problem finding one.

Craigslist is a good resource when you find a diamond amongst the filth. It takes some searching though.

So, I had my interview at the beginning of February and I just got a letter yesterday saying that they are "delaying a decision" on my application and they will let me know by April 15th. Did this happen to anyone else and does anyone know what this means? How is this different than being waitlisted? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I had my interview at the beginning of February and I just got a letter yesterday saying that they are "delaying a decision" on my application and they will let me know by April 15th. Did this happen to anyone else and does anyone know what this means? How is this different than being waitlisted? Thanks!

I had it, so did someone else I interviewed with.... and I think it's a temporary waitlist?!?

Hey guys. Is it too late for me to go and visit apartments around PCOM? I finally have time to do it next week. Was thinking of Beekman and Imperial.

Imperial rocks, PM me and I'll get you the scoop.

IMO Drexel or Temple would be steps down from PCOM in many ways. Unfortunately, there are those pesky letters behind your name that hold so much for many people.

I agree with you in that Drexel would be a step down, but I'd say that Temple is on par with PCOM in terms of the facilities that I've seen, and maybe they're even better. Temple do have their own level 1 ER which is nice...to be honest, I am waiting on a post interview response from them, and I am on the high priority waitlist at Jeff.

unfortunately there are a lot of people in the Philly area who apply to all five schools because they want to be in that city and PCOM ends up being their allo backup.

We all have our backups: MathTeacher, you mentioned you have a (or many?) previous acceptances and would give up your places at those schools if you got into PCOM, so you have at least one school that you have been treating as a last resort. There are people who beating the walls like you are, writing letters of intent to the place they got waitlisted at which happens to be the school you've already been accepted to, the one you'd drop in a heart beat if you got the PCOM acceptance. So I don't see anything different when people use PCOM in the same manner.

If I get in at Temple or Jeff then my space is open at PCOM. So, you'll be happy and I'll be happy. I already got into Drexel, but PCOM gave me more money and I dislike Drexel for many reasons, so I turned Drexel down. Someone from the waitlist there got in, so they are happy. Everything will work out. There's no need to knock other applicants: it is what it is, and you play the same game we all play.

I agree with you in that Drexel would be a step down, but I'd say that Temple is on par with PCOM in terms of the facilities that I've seen, and maybe they're even better. Temple do have their own level 1 ER which is nice...to be honest, I am waiting on a post interview response from them, and I am on the high priority waitlist at Jeff.

We all have our backups: MathTeacher, you mentioned you have a (or many?) previous acceptances and would give up your places at those schools if you got into PCOM, so you have at least one school that you have been treating as a last resort. There are people who beating the walls like you are, writing letters of intent to the place they got waitlisted at which happens to be the school you've already been accepted to, the one you'd drop in a heart beat if you got the PCOM acceptance. So I don't see anything different when people use PCOM in the same manner.

If I get in at Temple or Jeff then my space is open at PCOM. So, you'll be happy and I'll be happy. I already got into Drexel, but PCOM gave me more money and I dislike Drexel for many reasons, so I turned Drexel down. Someone from the waitlist there got in, so they are happy. Everything will work out. There's no need to knock other applicants: it is what it is, and you play the same game we all play.

Very very true. That's the thing, everyone has back up schools, I mean everyone. Most of the applicants apply to more than 1 school. I turned down DMU and KCUMB for PCOM. They were my back up schools. I agree with you, no one should be upset at anyone because they are on a waitlist when some people are already accepted to PCOM and are just waiting for another school to accept them. It is a game and that's just how it works.

Well, actually, I'm not currently waitlisted at PCOM and I'm certainly not beating any walls. I interviewed very recently and am awaiting a decision, but I'm pretty optimistic. And I think you totally misunderstood what I said- I have no issue with people applying to multiple schools, if that's what you're suggesting. But I have applied only to osteopathic schools because I actually want to be a D.O. (come from a long family line of D.O.'s). My usage of the word "unfortunately" was more in regards to people using an osteopathic school as a backup for allopathic schools, especially when what they really want is an M.D. and the osteopathic route is a second-rate backup plan. I didn't mean that it's "unfortunate" that people have backup or safety schools in general.

And lest anyone get the wrong impression again, let me further clarify that I find it to be an unfortunate situation because, ideally, people who really want to be M.D.'s would apply only to allopathic schools, and try again the next year if they don't succeed. And people who really want to be D.O.'s would apply only to osteopathic schools. And those who just genuinely only want to be physicians and don't care about the degree would apply to both, but not look upon an osteopathic acceptance as some kind of undesirable contingency plan. And I think it is unfortunate that this is not the situation today- it's hard to deny that a lot of people matriculating at D.O. schools were rejected from M.D. schools (MDApplicants makes that pretty clear) and it seems almost everyone who is applying to both would secretly favor the M.D. route. Just my opinion anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, actually, I'm not currently waitlisted at PCOM and I'm certainly not beating any walls. I interviewed very recently and am awaiting a decision, but I'm pretty optimistic. And I think you totally misunderstood what I said- I have no issue with people applying to multiple schools, if that's what you're suggesting. But I have applied only to osteopathic schools because I actually want to be a D.O. (come from a long family line of D.O.'s). My usage of the word "unfortunately" was more in regards to people using an osteopathic school as a backup for allopathic schools, especially when what they really want is an M.D. and the osteopathic route is a second-rate backup plan. I didn't mean that it's "unfortunate" that people have backup or safety schools in general.

And lest anyone get the wrong impression again, let me further clarify that I find it to be an unfortunate situation because, ideally, people who really want to be M.D.'s would apply only to allopathic schools, and try again the next year if they don't succeed. And people who really want to be D.O.'s would apply only to osteopathic schools. And those who just genuinely only want to be physicians and don't care about the degree would apply to both, but not look upon an osteopathic acceptance and an undesirable contingency plan. And I think it is unfortunate that this is not the situation today- it's hard to deny that a lot of people matriculating at D.O. schools were rejected from M.D. schools (MDApplicants makes that pretty clear) and it seems almost everyone who is applying to both would secretly favor the M.D. route. Just my opinion anyway.

I am a third type of person: I want to be a physician (or surgeon!?!) so I don't care the letters after my name... My ranking of programs is interspersed with MD and DO programs... Albeit the top 4 are MD programs, but that's just because I liked them better than my top DO choice (UMDNJ-SOM).

Anyone get an interview invite this week?

A friend of mine in my post bac class had his interview on thursday. He said there are still 60 seats left.

My usage of the word "unfortunately" was more in regards to people using an osteopathic school as a backup for allopathic schools, especially when what they really want is an M.D. and the osteopathic route is a second-rate backup plan. I didn't mean that it's "unfortunate" that people have backup or safety schools in general.

it's hard to deny that a lot of people matriculating at D.O. schools were rejected from M.D. schools (MDApplicants makes that pretty clear) and it seems almost everyone who is applying to both would secretly favor the M.D. route.

First of all, best of luck to you getting good news back from PCOM! Please let us know what happens

I understand what you are saying with the DO degree and the applicants. I think you are right that it is unfortunate situation. Still, I think MD applicants treating a DO school as a backup is the same in principle as you using LECOM as a fallback: you each case, you are treating a school (or in the case of the MD applicant, a group of schools) as a backup, a means to another end. There are some new DO schools that, based on MDApplicants, are chosen only because the applicant didn't get into any other DO school. To reword your sentence, "it's hard to deny that a lot of people matriculating at new D.O. schools were rejected from older DO schools, and it seems almost everyone who is applying to both would secretly favor the more prestigious DO school". I'm not sure those people are any more ethical than the people who went DO because they didn't get an MD acceptance. In both, the applicant has 'secret' ambitions as you say, and they'd jump ship if a supposedly better opportunity opened up for them. I honestly don't see the difference between them.

I will agree with you that hose who went DO, but wanted an MD can be very detrimental to the school, and the degree as a whole. They can have insecurities like you wouldn't believe, and it really shows when they talk. They not only used the degree as a backup, they actually feel the DO path is inferior. This is a huge difference in attitude. You are right MathTeacher, those people should not have applied DO in the first place.

That said, I met people at a recently opened DO school that felt the same way about their institution in relation to the more prestigious DO schools. And their insecurities were palpable as well, they seemed bitter and quite defensive. Perhaps they should not have applied there, but they wanted to be a doctor, and not everyone is fortunate enough to get into their first choice. So again, I'm not sure which is applicant is better.

At the end of the day, make sure you are happy with your decision. Don't chose a school if it'll make you feel sub-standard for the rest of your life, whether that school is DO or MD.

And last but not least, as rc4ch suggested, don't hate the player, hate the game! :)

First of all, best of luck to you getting good news back from PCOM! Please let us know what happens

I understand what you are saying with the DO degree and the applicants. I think you are right that it is unfortunate situation. Still, I think MD applicants treating a DO school as a backup is the same in principle as you using LECOM as a fallback: you each case, you are treating a school (or in the case of the MD applicant, a group of schools) as a backup, a means to another end. There are some new DO schools that, based on MDApplicants, are chosen only because the applicant didn't get into any other DO school. To reword your sentence, "it's hard to deny that a lot of people matriculating at new D.O. schools were rejected from older DO schools, and it seems almost everyone who is applying to both would secretly favor the more prestigious DO school". I'm not sure those people are any more ethical than the people who went DO because they didn't get an MD acceptance. In both, the applicant has 'secret' ambitions as you say, and they'd jump ship if a supposedly better opportunity opened up for them. I honestly don't see the difference between them.

I will agree with you that hose who went DO, but wanted an MD can be very detrimental to the school, and the degree as a whole. They can have insecurities like you wouldn't believe, and it really shows when they talk. They not only used the degree as a backup, they actually feel the DO path is inferior. This is a huge difference in attitude. You are right MathTeacher, those people should not have applied DO in the first place.

That said, I met people at a recently opened DO school that felt the same way about their institution in relation to the more prestigious DO schools. And their insecurities were palpable as well, they seemed bitter and quite defensive. Perhaps they should not have applied there, but they wanted to be a doctor, and not everyone is fortunate enough to get into their first choice. So again, I'm not sure which is applicant is better.

At the end of the day, make sure you are happy with your decision. Don't chose a school if it'll make you feel sub-standard for the rest of your life, whether that school is DO or MD.

And last but not least, as rc4ch suggested, don't hate the player, hate the game! :)

Very well said. I totally agree!!!

Hi Everyone! I was just accepted!!!!!! I interviewed 2.12 and got the letter Thurs (the 26th). It was my #1 and I couldn't be happier! Best of luck to all of you!!

congratulations:laugh: our class is going to be awesome!

Please give back to the greater SDN community and post interview feedback for PCOM. The feedback this year is sparse at best. Come on, now!

Please give back to the greater SDN community and post interview feedback for PCOM. The feedback this year is sparse at best. Come on, now!

Working on it...I'm been backlogged and trying to catch up from missing so much class...

...okay...should be finished for now...sorry for the delay!

Last edited:

I left my feedback a few moments ago when I saw your message. You're right, it's good to have people leave comments, sorry for not doing it earlier

If I may repeat what I said on the interview feedback: PCOM took the time to read my file, more closely than in any other interview I've ever been to. It was obvious in my SUNY interview that my guy had read through my packet once, and at Jefferson the person didn't even know my name. At PCOM the interviewers asked me thoughtful questions that were specific to my experiences. It was the most enjoyable interview I've had, as much as an interview can be enjoyable!

If I may repeat what I said on the interview feedback: PCOM took the time to read my file, more closely than in any other interview I've ever been to. It was obvious in my SUNY interview that my guy had read through my packet once, and at Jefferson the person didn't even know my name. At PCOM the interviewers asked me thoughtful questions that were specific to my experiences. It was the most enjoyable interview I've had, as much as an interview can be enjoyable!

yeah...some of the other SDN interview questions were very insightful, too....like the economics major who was asked how he would change US healthcare. Or almost all of the foreign students asked about the differences in US vs Foreign medicine and what their ultimate destination would be when the practice.

It was in stark contrast to "What three musicians would you invite for dinner? What would you serve them? Why?" or my TCMC interview "What is your favorite TV station? TV show?" :wtf:

Last edited:
Hey! Just wondering if anyone's tried contacting the admissions office today. Has their number changed? The message I'm getting is a pretty general PCOM one, not specific to the admissions office.

Anyone know if they're even sending out interview invites anymore? I'm turning into a sad little ball of hopelessness over PCOM... I really thought it'd be great for me. :(

I tried calling the admissions office today too (800-999-6998) and it went straight to voicemail. I'm pretty sure the school must be closed for the day because of a big snowstorm that's hitting the northeast. Not that I'm complaining in any way.... I have a SNOW DAY!

I'll finish mine over the weekend. I had an awesome time at PCOM!! will definitely share.

hi i have never posted on here before, but i was accepted to pcom january 28th. i interviewed on january 13th and my application was complete mid-september.

Going to PCOM on the 5th, and who is with me :love:

Congrats!

hi i have never posted on here before, but i was accepted to pcom january 28th. i interviewed on january 13th and my application was complete mid-september.

First post on the forums. Interviewed 2.16 received acceptance letter 2.23. This was my #1 school. Deposit was mailed 2.26. Is anyone attending the SNMA banquet on friday the 6th?

When interviewing, I heard some discussion of a biochem course being offered at PCOM before we start...
  1. Does it exist? / Dates?
  2. Does it count towards your GPA? (last summer in a LONG time to ~relax :cool:)
  3. I heard from 1 person it didn't help (EM club) and another one who thought it did (OB/Gyn)...Anyone else considering it?
TIA

------
Update: (03/04/2009):
It does not show up on your transcript nor into your GPA. -- Deb C., Registrar
------

Update: (03/20/2009):
"I'm sorry to say that the summer intro course will probably not be offered this year. If things change, we will send out a mailing to all the accepted students letting them know the details." -- Doug K., Biochem
------

Last edited:

I interviewed on the 13th as well.

First post on the forums. Interviewed 2.16 received acceptance letter 2.23. This was my #1 school. Deposit was mailed 2.26. Is anyone attending the SNMA banquet on friday the 6th?

How did you hear about it/where you invited, etc?

This one? (Calendar)
SNMA Recognition Banquet

Event Description:Celebrating the Minority D.O.Department: AcademicStart Date:3/6/2009End Date:3/6/2009

Last edited:
How did you hear about it/where you invited, etc?

This one? (Calendar)
SNMA Recognition Banquet

Event Description:Celebrating the Minority D.O.Department: AcademicStart Date:3/6/2009End Date:3/6/2009

They sent me an email as well as a "save the day" card. I have also received an invite to an admitted students brunch on 3.26 i believe. I am going to the banquet but cant make it to the brunch (10 hours driving not feasible for 2 hour brunch).

Thanks for everyone's responses to the feedback req.!
I didn't get an SNMA invite ( :-( ) but I'll be attending the brunch, barring
some other intervention. Hey, so, this biochemistry class they conduct in the summertime, what is the scoop? Has anyone been informed that they must take it? I wasn't under the impression I would, but someone mentioned a month or so back that they typically have made it compulsory for non-science majors in the past. I don't know how accurate that assessment is, but that would include me. And I'm not excited about the prospect. At all. Let me fend for myself in normal class, the last thing I feel I need is the extra expense and to start classes a full month or so before everyone else, burning out a month earlier. :laugh:
Thoughts? By the way, I'm checking into Discover's Stafford loan program for us; they apparently are the only one's left who don't require a 1% origination fee. I'm calling today to see if that's still accurate and I'll post what I find out.

I called Discover this morning and yes, they confirmed they "have no intention at all" of charging any fees for their staffords. So I'm on board.
You can't sign up through the AES though, you have to do it through Discover online or on the phone.

So aside from sending fall semester grades and a LOI with them, is there anything else that one can do to express interest/get an interview? I guess this doesn't really apply to PCOM specifically but to any school.

Well this will be the second week since the interview..... if i don't hear anything this week, than i guess i will go to Temple.........
C'mon PCOM...............where is my letter?

rc4ch, i probably don't remember who you are (sorry, it was a while ago & i was in the zone), but i go to school in new hampshire and i was wearing a grey suit. haha i dont know if that triggers any memory. but maybe we met! congrats

So aside from sending fall semester grades and a LOI with them, is there anything else that one can do to express interest/get an interview?

I think you've done everything you can. We're pulling for you man.

If not PCOM, where are you off to?

Is anyone planning to going to the research symposium on the 11th?