PCOM - Georgia Campus 2009 -2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
YAY I received an interview!!! i'm super excited 🙂 advice, anyone?
 
Last edited:
YAY I received an interview!!! i'm super excited 🙂 advice, anyone?

Teacherman said it as well as I could. Be yourself. Look 'em right in the eye. A little humor helps personalize you and eases the tension. Dress for success - professional atire. That means a well-fiting suit and tie.

Show up 15 minutes early and talk to your student guides. Get to know your fellow applicants. Be personable.

Be sure you tell them you have a genuine interest in staying in the South when you graduate and why.

When (not if) you get accepted, join the Facebook page. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Teacherman said it as well as I could. Be yourself. Look 'em right in the eye. A little humor helps personalize you and eases the tension. Dress for success - professional atire. That means a well-fiting suit and tie.

Show up 15 minutes early and talk to your student guides. Get to know your fellow applicants. Be personable.

Be sure you tell them you have a genuine interest in staying in the South when you graduate and why.

When (not if) you get accepted, join the Facebook page. Good luck.

I think you deserve the title of the official cheerleader for student doctor 2009-2010! 😀
 
Why thank you Ms. Grace. I'm blushing. 🙄

No blushing necessary. Just wanted you to know it's nice to have encouraging people around during this whole process. I am hoping all the encouragement helps me keep my spirits up at my first interview...I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and life has picked up in stress this week, so I don't want it to taint my overall aura during the interview. So keep up the good work- we need some more cheerleaders around here!

But did you mean to use the "rolling eyes/sarcastic" smiley? Looks kinda like a blushing smiley to me too if so...I might have to take back my compliment if you are being sarcastic!!
 
Grace,

No sarcasm intended at all. The smiley (or so I thought) was blushing; not rolling eyes. I meant it when I said I was blushing.

As for encouragement, we all need it. I am happy to be a cheerleader. I wish everyone on SDN best wishes in getting accepted to medical school.

Good luck at your interview.
 
Just so you guys know, I got an email from Ms. Goligan stating that the school realizes AACOMAS is very slow currently and have slowed down the admissions process due to.this and not to worry!
 
Just so you guys know, I got an email from Ms. Goligan stating that the school realizes AACOMAS is very slow currently and have slowed down the admissions process due to.this and not to worry!

Thanks for the update! I'm very glad to hear this. I'm not complete yet because I'm waiting on an additional letter from the Dean of my Pharm.D program. I failed to realize that I would need this until the last minute. You may want to double check and make sure you're not in the same boat as me,VCU07 (and other non-traditional students).

Try to get a letter from a previous Dean or program advisor if you have not already.

I've been receiving some interview invites, but this is the one I really hope pans out.:xf:
 
Thanks for the update! I'm very glad to hear this. I'm not complete yet because I'm waiting on an additional letter from the Dean of my Pharm.D program. I failed to realize that I would need this until the last minute. You may want to double check and make sure you're not in the same boat as me,VCU07 (and other non-traditional students).

Try to get a letter from a previous Dean or program advisor if you have not already.

I've been receiving some interview invites, but this is the one I really hope pans out.:xf:


I got one from my PharmD advisor as well as my undergrad advisor and a coworker. Hopefully, this will be enough. I am waiting to see if my friend who went to Pcom Ga will give me a letter. Anyway, I wish my app would hurrry up and get verified!
 
Regarding the last two posts, be advised that PCOM (both campuses) requires a Dean letter or Committe Letter from the college that awarded you your Bachelor's degree - not from your graduate school. If you do not obtain the correct letter your application will not be deemed complete. I received my B.S. degree in 1982 but I still had to get that letter. A letter from a post bachelor college or graduate or professional school won't cut it.

Call Trena at PCOM GA if you have questions. Don't fall into the trap of getting a Dean letter from the wrong school.
 
Regarding the last two posts, be advised that PCOM (both campuses) requires a Dean letter or Committe Letter from the college that awarded you your Bachelor's degree - not from your graduate school. If you do not obtain the correct letter your application will not be deemed complete. I received my B.S. degree in 1982 but I still had to get that letter. A letter from a post bachelor college or graduate or professional school won't cut it.

Call Trena at PCOM GA if you have questions. Don't fall into the trap of getting a Dean letter from the wrong school.

I just sent Trena an email to clarify this point. I know many professional students (PharmD, DMD,etc), such as myself, do not hold a bachelor's degree. I'll let everyone know what I hear back.
 
Regarding the last two posts, be advised that PCOM (both campuses) requires a Dean letter or Committe Letter from the college that awarded you your Bachelor's degree - not from your graduate school. If you do not obtain the correct letter your application will not be deemed complete. I received my B.S. degree in 1982 but I still had to get that letter. A letter from a post bachelor college or graduate or professional school won't cut it.

Call Trena at PCOM GA if you have questions. Don't fall into the trap of getting a Dean letter from the wrong school.

An add-on to the above posts--I finished undergrad in the mid-90's, so had no idea who any dean's would be at my undergrad. I called PCOM(both campuses) and they said I just needed a form letter from the school that stated I did in fact receive a degree and that I was in good standing with the school. I called the registrar's office of my undergrad U and it was no issue, they sent it off that day. Since then I have been offered an invite to PCOM (PA), so it must have been fine. Good luck to all!
 
An add-on to the above posts--I finished undergrad in the mid-90's, so had no idea who any dean's would be at my undergrad. I called PCOM(both campuses) and they said I just needed a form letter from the school that stated I did in fact receive a degree and that I was in good standing with the school. I called the registrar's office of my undergrad U and it was no issue, they sent it off that day. Since then I have been offered an invite to PCOM (PA), so it must have been fine. Good luck to all!

When I was addressing this issue with PCOM Admissions, I was told that they were always amazed every year at the enormous number of applicants who fail to complete this one, simple requirement and are not ever consider complete and then fail to make inquiry as to why and ultimately are not even considered for admission. Attention to detail is a required skill for physicians.
 
Regarding the last two posts, be advised that PCOM (both campuses) requires a Dean letter or Committe Letter from the college that awarded you your Bachelor's degree - not from your graduate school. If you do not obtain the correct letter your application will not be deemed complete. I received my B.S. degree in 1982 but I still had to get that letter. A letter from a post bachelor college or graduate or professional school won't cut it.

Call Trena at PCOM GA if you have questions. Don't fall into the trap of getting a Dean letter from the wrong school.

They told me I was complete, so I guess my pre-med committee letter was what they wanted?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got off the phone with Marsha at the PCOM-PA Campus. She stated that a letter from a professional program advisor or Dean (Pharm.D, DMD, etc) was acceptable if a student has not earned a bachelor's degree.

She stated that the letter could be faxed to her office at (215) 871-6719. Hope this helps to clarify the above discussion.
 
Well, I know they received my secondary because they cashed my check on Friday. This school looks really cool, would like to interview there :xf:
 
Received a complete email on November 10th and I was invited to interview today (Nov. 17) for next Tuesday (Nov. 24th). I received the email at 12:58 if anyone is curious. That was a lot quicker turn around than I expected.

I did send an email to the director of admissions last Wednesday/Thursday saying I was very interested in Ga-PCOM... maybe that helped.
 
Received a complete email on November 10th and I was invited to interview today (Nov. 17) for next Tuesday (Nov. 24th). I received the email at 12:58 if anyone is curious. That was a lot quicker turn around than I expected.

I did send an email to the director of admissions last Wednesday/Thursday saying I was very interested in Ga-PCOM... maybe that helped.
Thanks for the info, and congrats on your interview!
 
Received a complete email on November 10th and I was invited to interview today (Nov. 17) for next Tuesday (Nov. 24th). I received the email at 12:58 if anyone is curious. That was a lot quicker turn around than I expected.

I did send an email to the director of admissions last Wednesday/Thursday saying I was very interested in Ga-PCOM... maybe that helped.

the director of admissions is Dr. E right? whats his email addy?
 
the director of admissions is Dr. E right? whats his email addy?

I met with Trena Golgan ([email protected]) before my invite...she is the admissions coordinator.
I checked back and on 9/28 lawyerdoc posted about emailing Trena: I sent an e-mail to Trena G. politely making inquiry into where I stand. I then called and got her voice mail that said that she was out on a recruiting trip and to leave a message so I did. The next day I received the e-mail invite. Coincidence or does being proactive help? I don't know. I am so excited about the interview.

Dr. Evans (I would imagine [email protected]) is the Dean and who the acceptance letter came from but Im not sure who is the director of admissions.
 
the director of admissions is Dr. E right? whats his email addy?
My acceptance letter was signed by: "Walter Ehrenfeuchter, D.O., Chairman, Faculty Committee on Admission."

If I were in your shoes, I would e-mail Trena.

The "Vice-President of Enrollment Management" is Ms. Carol Fox at PCOM Philly. I understand that she is in incharge of admissions at both schools.
 
Does anyone know when their admissions committee meets? I interview next Tuesday and it seems like people hear back pretty quickly after their interviews... It'd be awesome if they met next Wednesday...
 
Does anyone know when their admissions committee meets? I interview next Tuesday and it seems like people hear back pretty quickly after their interviews... It'd be awesome if they met next Wednesday...

No clue what days they meet but I interviewed on 10/6 and my letter is dated 10/12...i emailed trena on 10/14 to see when they met and she responded by letting me know my acceptance was in the mail.

Good luck next week!
 
They meet randomly...I interviewed on 10/6 and Trena e-mailed me yesterday telling me that I should receive my acceptance letter this Friday! My case is a bit different though, because I told my interviewer that I had new MCAT scores from the September 12th administration of the exam (the scores hadn't come in yet on the day of my interview). They waited until AACOMAS sent the scores to Philly-PCOM first and then confirmed that they received them about 2 weeks ago. I've been holding my breath for the past 2 months and so relieved now! The odd thing is that I was told by my interviewer that I was more than qualified as an applicant, but I still had to wait that long. Either way, it worked out fine in the end! 😀
 
They meet randomly...I interviewed on 10/6 and Trena e-mailed me yesterday telling me that I should receive my acceptance letter this Friday! My case is a bit different though, because I told my interviewer that I had new MCAT scores from the September 12th administration of the exam (the scores hadn't come in yet on the day of my interview). They waited until AACOMAS sent the scores to Philly-PCOM first and then confirmed that they received them about 2 weeks ago. I've been holding my breath for the past 2 months and so relieved now! The odd thing is that I was told by my interviewer that I was more than qualified as an applicant, but I still had to wait that long. Either way, it worked out fine in the end! 😀
If you decide to attend PCOM Georgia join us on Facebook: PCOM Georgia Class of 2014.

I interviewed on October 20th. The Admissions Committee met the next day. I was told that it meets every two weeks on Wednesday.
 
Does anyone know when their admissions committee meets? I interview next Tuesday and it seems like people hear back pretty quickly after their interviews... It'd be awesome if they met next Wednesday...
NCGuy,

The Committee could meet the day after your interview. Send Trena an e-mail on Wednesday and she may tell you if you have been accepted.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They meet randomly...I interviewed on 10/6 and Trena e-mailed me yesterday telling me that I should receive my acceptance letter this Friday! My case is a bit different though, because I told my interviewer that I had new MCAT scores from the September 12th administration of the exam (the scores hadn't come in yet on the day of my interview). They waited until AACOMAS sent the scores to Philly-PCOM first and then confirmed that they received them about 2 weeks ago. I've been holding my breath for the past 2 months and so relieved now! The odd thing is that I was told by my interviewer that I was more than qualified as an applicant, but I still had to wait that long. Either way, it worked out fine in the end! 😀

Congrats...thats too bad you had to wait so long but good news now. That makes 3 from our interview group with an acceptance
 
They meet randomly...I interviewed on 10/6 and Trena e-mailed me yesterday telling me that I should receive my acceptance letter this Friday! My case is a bit different though, because I told my interviewer that I had new MCAT scores from the September 12th administration of the exam (the scores hadn't come in yet on the day of my interview). They waited until AACOMAS sent the scores to Philly-PCOM first and then confirmed that they received them about 2 weeks ago. I've been holding my breath for the past 2 months and so relieved now! The odd thing is that I was told by my interviewer that I was more than qualified as an applicant, but I still had to wait that long. Either way, it worked out fine in the end! 😀

Sounds like me and you had the same interviewer. If you would, please PM me. I would like to see how your experience was compared with mine.
 
I tried the whole e-mailing Trena thing to see if I can magically send an interview invite my way. We'll see what happens 🙂 She did say, for anyone else wondering if they'll hear from PCOM-GA, that they are behind on their interview invites. Good news for us I suppose!
 
Hi everyone,

I have a question...I interviewed at GA-PCOM on 11/17 and Mrs. Gologan told me to call the next day, because she might have an anwser for me. I called her then to follow up and ask for my interviewers emails so I may thank them. She told me that the admissions committee had yet to make a decision and to check back after the holiday. She also said to send her my letters to the interviewers and she would forward them. I went ahead and did this after I spoke with her on 11/18; however, I have yet to hear back from her.

I really enjoyed my visit at PCOM and would love nothing more than to attend this school. Is there anything that I could/should do that would increase my chances of being accepted?

Thanks everyone
 
Hi everyone,

I have a question...I interviewed at GA-PCOM on 11/17 and Mrs. Gologan told me to call the next day, because she might have an anwser for me. I called her then to follow up and ask for my interviewers emails so I may thank them. She told me that the admissions committee had yet to make a decision and to check back after the holiday. She also said to send her my letters to the interviewers and she would forward them. I went ahead and did this after I spoke with her on 11/18; however, I have yet to hear back from her.

I really enjoyed my visit at PCOM and would love nothing more than to attend this school. Is there anything that I could/should do that would increase my chances of being accepted?

Thanks everyone

Don't read into it too much. She was out of the office yesterday and is busy going on recruiting trips. I know school shuts down Weds the 25th at 2pm until Monday the 30th, so hopefully you will hear something before then.
 
I received my acceptance letter today! Interviewed last Monday (11/9).

Congrats, where does GA-PCOM stand on your list?

Hi everyone,

I have a question...I interviewed at GA-PCOM on 11/17 and Mrs. Gologan told me to call the next day, because she might have an anwser for me. I called her then to follow up and ask for my interviewers emails so I may thank them. She told me that the admissions committee had yet to make a decision and to check back after the holiday. She also said to send her my letters to the interviewers and she would forward them. I went ahead and did this after I spoke with her on 11/18; however, I have yet to hear back from her.

I really enjoyed my visit at PCOM and would love nothing more than to attend this school. Is there anything that I could/should do that would increase my chances of being accepted?

Thanks everyone


I emailed my interviewer the following day...I knew they were meeting soon and wanted to be sure that it got there before they met so I didnt send anything via USPS. I liked the email too because I was able to follow up with a few additional questions and then Dr. Jenney sent me a nice reply the following day.
 
Hi everyone,

I have a question...I interviewed at GA-PCOM on 11/17 and Mrs. Gologan told me to call the next day, because she might have an anwser for me. I called her then to follow up and ask for my interviewers emails so I may thank them. She told me that the admissions committee had yet to make a decision and to check back after the holiday. She also said to send her my letters to the interviewers and she would forward them. I went ahead and did this after I spoke with her on 11/18; however, I have yet to hear back from her.

I really enjoyed my visit at PCOM and would love nothing more than to attend this school. Is there anything that I could/should do that would increase my chances of being accepted?

Thanks everyone

I received the same message from her. Does that mean that we are on hold? When do you plan on contacting her again?
 
If you haven't heard anything by Tuesday, I'll try to find out an answer for you then.

My friend may be making the trip to Atlanta with me, do any of you students know if there is anywhere in the school he could sit and wait? I feel bad for making him driving aimlessly around Atlanta all afternoon...

We're not getting a hotel because its just from Charlotte, but someone else driving lets me get a few more hours of sleep in the car before the interview...

There is a lounge/game room with a TV and a dining area with plenty of seating.
 
Don't read into it too much. She was out of the office yesterday and is busy going on recruiting trips. I know school shuts down Weds the 25th at 2pm until Monday the 30th, so hopefully you will hear something before then.

Do you know if there are students accepted with lower than average MCAT scores, but a higher than average GPA
 
Do you know if there are students accepted with lower than average MCAT scores, but a higher than average GPA

There is a 99.9% chance that you will not get accepted unless your MCAT score is 25 or better. You may get an interview invite, but you will be told that you will not be accepted until you improve your MCAT score. You may be told that everything on your application is exceptional, but, in the same breath, you will be told that you will not attend medical school at PCOM-GA unless you raise your MCAT score. They appear to be numbers chasing pretty hard this year.
 
There is a 99.9% chance that you will not get accepted unless your MCAT score is 25 or better. You may get an interview invite, but you will be told that you will not be accepted until you improve your MCAT score. You may be told that everything on your application is exceptional, but, in the same breath, you will be told that you will not attend medical school at PCOM-GA unless you raise your MCAT score. They appear to be numbers chasing pretty hard this year.

I'm not saying youre wrong but I'm just curious where this info came from? Speculation or were you told this during your interview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not saying youre wrong but I'm just curious where this info came from? Speculation or were you told this during your interview?

Let's just say I have it on extremely good authority that this is the case...it's not speculation.
 
Let's just say I have it on extremely good authority that this is the case...it's not speculation.

I understand and completely tend to agree with you. I am just confused as to why they interviewed me and have not rejected me.
 
thats certainly not a rule...they like to say it is, but i know plenty of people who have 25 or less who are in my class and other classes. Of course it all depends on your file as a whole...if you are an underserved minority, or have a really high GPA, great EC's and LOR's, a likable personality, etc, the committee can look past a lower MCAT score. I will say the school gets more competitive every year which is evident by the stats of each incoming class and how each class has taken less time to fill up. Also, I know for a fact that there wasn't much wait list movement for the past cycle. But anyways, if you have 25 or below, its not a death sentence. As long as you get an interview, you've got a shot!
 
There is a 99.9% chance that you will not get accepted unless your MCAT score is 25 or better. You may get an interview invite, but you will be told that you will not be accepted until you improve your MCAT score. You may be told that everything on your application is exceptional, but, in the same breath, you will be told that you will not attend medical school at PCOM-GA unless you raise your MCAT score. They appear to be numbers chasing pretty hard this year.
Perhaps you are correct in most cases. I must be in the .1% exception. I interviewed on October 20th and received an e-mail the next day that I was accepted.

My MCAT was a 21R. GPA 3.3 (science and overall). My life experience and success in my first career helped overcome a low MCAT. There are exceptions to every rule and perhaps I am an aberation to the norm. The "average" MCAT is just that, an average. By definition that means some are lower and some are higher. I would agree that the higher your MCAT score the better your chances.

I made sure that the Admissions Committee could see from my application that I was unique and exceptional in other ways. I made sure that my application stood out from the stack of applications on their desk. I had additional letters of recommendation sent in that pointed out qualities that went beyond the usual two professor letters.

If you only send in the "cookie cutter" two LORs and D.O. letters it is more difficult to get noticed for the unique person that you are.

I also was proactive in communicating with Admissions. I was careful to avoid being a pest but still communicate my sincere desire to attend the school.

My story, I hope, will give some hope to the applicant that has less than stellar MCAT score and/or GPA.

I truly believe that D.O. schools look beyond mere statistics and want to see holistic qualities that indicate success in medical school but also a caring physician motivated by a desire to help and not money.
 
thats certainly not a rule...they like to say it is, but i know plenty of people who have 25 or less who are in my class and other classes. Of course it all depends on your file as a whole...if you are an underserved minority, or have a really high GPA, great EC's and LOR's, a likable personality, etc, the committee can look past a lower MCAT score. I will say the school gets more competitive every year which is evident by the stats of each incoming class and how each class has taken less time to fill up. Also, I know for a fact that there wasn't much wait list movement for the past cycle. But anyways, if you have 25 or below, its not a death sentence. As long as you get an interview, you've got a shot!

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I will wait and see what happens.