PCOM - Georgia Campus 2009 -2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Grace,

Call Trena G. at PCOM GA. It might result in an interview.

I actually corresponded with her a little bit. She recommended I send in what I discussed with her in something more formal that could be added to my file. I'll get on that later this week I suppose.
 
So I called PCOM-GA today, and asked to see what the status of my application was, and they said the letters haven't been submitted yet !This came as a surprise to me, as I submitted my letters on September 22nd (almost 3 months ago) ! I e-mailed Trena again, and she is yet to get back to me.
I've already been accepted at another osteopathic med school in Florida, but I definitely want to hear from PCOM-GA, as I am a Georgia resident (i.e. close to home).
 
So I'll know my fate (hopefully) at Ga-PCOM a week from today... time is going by so slow...

Right with ya man. Good luck. I felt good coming out but really got no inclination of any decision...

Did Trina G. say we could call up on the 16th or 17th?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those accepted. Did any of you interview with Dr. Francis J? I interviewed last week, thought it went well except when he started asking me about my MCAT. He asked if I'll re consider taking it again. I am not sure what that meant. Were any of you asked about your MCATs and still got accepted?
 
Last edited:
For those accepted. Did any of you interview with Dr. Francis J? I interviewed last week, thought it went well except when he started asking me about my MCAT. He asked if I'll re consider taking it again. I am not sure what that meant. Were any of you asked about your MCATs and still got accepted?

Hey I had him on Monday and everything was going extremely well and then he mentioned MCATs at the end too. And things still seemed extremely well! He pretty much just said "you know that taking it over would make you more competitive, etc., etc." but stressed that what he was saying did not mean anything (i.e. accepted, rejected, wait-listed). He said "for all I know you could be accepted tomorrow." I wouldn't worry about it until you hear back, and then depending on the answer take it again if this is where you really want to be.
 
Hey I had him on Monday and everything was going extremely well and then he mentioned MCATs at the end too. And things still seemed extremely well! He pretty much just said "you know that taking it over would make you more competitive, etc., etc." but stressed that what he was saying did not mean anything (i.e. accepted, rejected, wait-listed). He said "for all I know you could be accepted tomorrow." I wouldn't worry about it until you hear back, and then depending on the answer take it again if this is where you really want to be.

Did you enjoy the subway sandwich? Were you first guy to interview?
 
Hey I had him on Monday and everything was going extremely well and then he mentioned MCATs at the end too. And things still seemed extremely well! He pretty much just said "you know that taking it over would make you more competitive, etc., etc." but stressed that what he was saying did not mean anything (i.e. accepted, rejected, wait-listed). He said "for all I know you could be accepted tomorrow." I wouldn't worry about it until you hear back, and then depending on the answer take it again if this is where you really want to be.

I had Dr. Gregory on Monday and my interview went pretty much the same way. I felt a little weird coming out of the interview. It seemed like the interview was very short and she ended it abruptly.

Anyone else interview with Dr. Gregory on 12/07?
 
For those accepted. Did any of you interview with Dr. Francis J? I interviewed last week, thought it went well except when he started asking me about my MCAT. He asked if I'll re consider taking it again. I am not sure what that meant. Were any of you asked about your MCATs and still got accepted?

That is just Dr. Jenney's personality. He is very realistic, so don't read too much into that question. If you get in and you have him as your professor, he will be the same way. It's not a scare tactic or anything, he just likes you to think about the reality of things.
 
For those accepted. Did any of you interview with Dr. Francis J? I interviewed last week, thought it went well except when he started asking me about my MCAT. He asked if I'll re consider taking it again. I am not sure what that meant. Were any of you asked about your MCATs and still got accepted?

I interviewed with Dr. J back in Oct. and while he didnt ask me about the MCAT he did push me a bit about why I was leaving my current career for another. It cant hurt to follow up with a nice thank you card or email asserting your interest in the school.

Good luck to all waiting.
 
For those accepted. Did any of you interview with Dr. Francis J? I interviewed last week, thought it went well except when he started asking me about my MCAT. He asked if I'll re consider taking it again. I am not sure what that meant. Were any of you asked about your MCATs and still got accepted?

I interviewed with him about a month ago. He questioned me about the MCAT and also told me to reconsider taking it again. I was ultimately put on hold. What was your MCAT, if you don't mind me asking?
 
Dr Jenney loves talking about the research opportunities he is trying to bring to GA-PCOM. Might be a good talking point for those of you who haven't interviewed yet!
 
You guys are scaring me a little with all this MCAT talk lol. Anyway, sent off my secondary today. How soon do you guys think I should send my letters? Can I email them today via interfolio or should I wait a few days?
 
You guys are scaring me a little with all this MCAT talk lol. Anyway, sent off my secondary today. How soon do you guys think I should send my letters? Can I email them today via interfolio or should I wait a few days?

I would go ahead and send the letters. I sent mine via Interfolio the day I mailed my secondary.

Don't worry about the MCAT talk....just know that it WILL come up. I think that's the one common thread in all the interview feedback. I was asked about it, but Dr. Gregory didn't spend too much time on it.
 
You guys are scaring me a little with all this MCAT talk lol. Anyway, sent off my secondary today. How soon do you guys think I should send my letters? Can I email them today via interfolio or should I wait a few days?

Def send them right away. I dont know that there is any penalty for sending them too soon. I sent all of my letters along with my primary and it didnt stop em from getting interviews. The sooner the better...then it gives you time if there is a problem. With PCOM there have been letters not accepted or requests for additional letters from advisors from your institution.

Did everyone else get a belated happy thanksgiving card in the mail today from Trena and the pharm school recruiter? Very timely...but a nice touch
 
I had Dr. Gregory on Monday and my interview went pretty much the same way. I felt a little weird coming out of the interview. It seemed like the interview was very short and she ended it abruptly.

Anyone else interview with Dr. Gregory on 12/07?

I had her on the 7th. My interview was pretty short too, but I think it went well. I wouldn't really change anything I said. She was really friendly, but she didn't really ask many questions. It seems like it would be hard to make a decision based on an interview like that. She didn't even ask about my MCAT, and I definitely though it would come up since my score is pretty weak. She knew the DO I shadowed, so I figured that had to be a plus.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had her on the 7th. My interview was pretty short too, but I think it went well. I wouldn't really change anything I said. She was really friendly, but she didn't really ask many questions. It seems like it would be hard to make a decision based on an interview like that. She didn't even ask about my MCAT, and I definitely though it would come up since my score is pretty weak. She knew the DO I shadowed, so I figured that had to be a plus.

Awesome. Sounds like it went well. I think I was just expecting something different. Who were you? I was the old dude that went it with Dr. Gregory first...haha.

Hopefully we'll hear good news on the 16th. Good luck!
 
I am planning to apply for next cycle. 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA , RN ,non-traditional, no ECs yet. What mcat score do I need in order to have a decent chance for PCOM-Georgia?
 
I am planning to apply for next cycle. 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA , RN ,non-traditional, no ECs yet. What mcat score do I need in order to have a decent chance for PCOM-Georgia?

Copied below is the text of a post from last August in this dicussion thread:

"I am a first year at GA-PCOM and we just finished our orientation today. One data that was presented to us was the number of Georgia residents in my class and the previous classes. The number has been increasing from class to class but not by much. About half of my classmates are from Georgia. However, I don't think their emphasis is on where you're applying from. They're more interested to know if you're determined to practice in the southern states (especially GA) after graduation. I was an OOS applicant myself and I did fine. If you're a good fit to the school, they will gladly accept you whether you're an OOS applicant or not.

I basically used the same essays for both campuses but if you have some specific reasons to why you would want to attend the georgia campus, that would definitely help.

Just to let you all know, the average GPA (I believe the dean was referring to cumulative GPA) for my class was a 3.7 and the average MCAT score was 27-28 (I was surprised that our numbers were so high). I was below avg for both and I was an OOS applicant and I still got in."

Who know what will be competitive for the Classes of 21014 and 2015. My stats were lower than these averages and I am OOS and was accepted.
 
At the "Meet the Dean" event a few months ago, the Dean told us their MCAT average was 25, not 27-28.
 
Why would a school report historic average that is lower than last years average? That doesn't make any sense if they are trying to attract competitive students. Anyways, when a school reports their MCAT average, they report the previous year. They don't say, well over the past 120 years of the existence of this school, we have averaged a 25 MCAT.

Regardless, the Dean of PCOM-GA said last year's class average was 25.
 
Awesome. Sounds like it went well. I think I was just expecting something different. Who were you? I was the old dude that went it with Dr. Gregory first...haha.

Hopefully we'll hear good news on the 16th. Good luck!

Yeah, I was expecting something different too. I was the tall guy with the greyish pants. I did my interview right after you I think. Good luck to you too. Getting accepted would be a great Christmas present haha
 
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question: How likely is an interview at PCOM-GA granted if one has received an interview invite at PCOM-PA? Thanks for any advice/help.
 
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question: How likely is an interview at PCOM-GA granted if one has received an interview invite at PCOM-PA? Thanks for any advice/help.

No clue, I got one of the first interview dates at GA but heard nothing ever from philly. I assumed it was because my apps for both schools were essentially identical except my GA app discussed my ties to the southeast and specifically GA. Be proactive and contact GA admissions and let them know you are interested in this campus.
 
Good luck to everyone that interviewed on the 7th - I hope we all have great news this week! I'll be on a cruise until Friday at 8am at which time I will promptly call Trena from the port of Miami!!
 
Good luck to everyone that interviewed on the 7th - I hope we all have great news this week! I'll be on a cruise until Friday at 8am at which time I will promptly call Trena from the port of Miami!!



oh - had a dream last night i got waitlisted :-/
 
Anyone invited to an interview? Anyone have the December interview schedule? Things appear slow....must be the holidays.
 
hi guys,

I have an interview at PCOM-GA in January. I already booked a flight. I am wondering do any of you know which shuttles will pick you up from ATL (atlanta airport) to suwanee, GA? Thanks a lot.
 
I received a letter today from PCOM GA acknowledging receipt of my $250 deposit and advising me that: (1) $2,000 is due by April 15th; (2) that I have to have original transcripts of all prior college work sent to the college; (3) that on or about April 30th I will receive a "binder" with additional information regarding a criminal background check, etc. (stuff to be done before classes begin in mid August).

The four years of fun begins. :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received a letter today from PCOM GA acknowledging receipt of my $250 deposit and advising me that: (1) $2,000 is due by April 15th; (2) that I have to have original transcripts of all prior college work sent to the college; (3) that on or about April 30th I will receive a "binder" with additional information regarding a criminal background check, etc. (stuff to be done before classes begin in mid August).

The four years of fun begins. :laugh:

So are you going here? 🙂
 
hi guys,

I have an interview at PCOM-GA in January. I already booked a flight. I am wondering do any of you know which shuttles will pick you up from ATL (atlanta airport) to suwanee, GA? Thanks a lot.

Call Trena at PCOM Ga and ask. If you are not renting a car, you might consider taking the MARTA train from the airport to the Chamblee station and there catching a cab or the GCT (Gwinett County Transportation) bus to a stop near the school.

MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) serves Fulton and DeKalb Counties (essentially Atlanta) but does not go into Gwinnett County (NE of Atlanta) or Cobb County (NW of Atlanta) but does let you transfer to GCT at the Chamblee station. Might be cheaper that way.

All this aside, the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport is SW of Atlanta in College Park. PCOM Ga is NE of Atlanta. Between the two is about 40 - 45 miles. You are better off renting a car. You don't need the public transportation hassle on interview day. Good luck at your interview
 
Last edited:
I GOT IN! 😀😀 😍😍

Our prayers have been answered. Many SDN folks were pulling and praying for you.

I hope that you hear from PCOM GA. I'd like you to be a classmate. You would cheer us up with your stories!

Regardless, you must be relieved. The hard part is over at least until August. 😉

My heart goes out to the many who continue to wait for one interview let alone for an acceptance.

Congratulations!
 
Last edited:
Our prayers have been answered. Many SDN folks were pulling and praying for you.

I hope that you hear from PCOM GA. I'd like you to be a classmate. You would cheer us up with your stories!

Regardless, you must be relieved. The hard part is over at least until August. 😉

My heart goes out to the many who continue to wait for one interview let alone for an acceptnce.

Congratulations!
THANKS!!! I am so excited I can't even begin to describe it in words. I don't think I will pursue any other school at this point. It's too exhausting. Plus I love DCOM to pieces- they have welcomed me with open arms! I wish I could have you as a classmate as well, but at least I'll know we'll be colleagues to some degree! Good luck to everyone else!
 
I received a letter today from PCOM GA acknowledging receipt of my $250 deposit and advising me that: (1) $2,000 is due by April 15th; (2) that I have to have original transcripts of all prior college work sent to the college; (3) that on or about April 30th I will receive a "binder" with additional information regarding a criminal background check, etc. (stuff to be done before classes begin in mid August).

The four years of fun begins. :laugh:

When did you send in your deposit?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

Just sent my secondary application about 4 days ago. My MCAT score is a 23, but my overall GPA is a 3.51 and my science GPA is a little higher. I know that the average GA-PCOM score is about a 25 and that my MCAT score isn't that competitive, but is there anything I can do to help compensate for it?

Thanks and happy holidays
 
Hi everyone,

Just sent my secondary application about 4 days ago. My MCAT score is a 23, but my overall GPA is a 3.51 and my science GPA is a little higher. I know that the average GA-PCOM score is about a 25 and that my MCAT score isn't that competitive, but is there anything I can do to help compensate for it?

Thanks and happy holidays

Are you prepared to retake the MCAT in January? If you ARE prepared for a retake, that would probably be your best bet. If that is the case you may want to talk to Trena G. at PCOM-GA and ler her know of any plans to retake the MCAT in January. They may or may not accept the January score in place of your 23 (each school has a different policy on this, and they will let you know). If you ARE NOT prepared to retake the MCAT, it may be best to start studying for it again (personal opinion). A 23 is a difficult hurdle to overcome with an adcom, but not impossible. That would be the best advice I could give without any further details. Best of Luck!
 
Hi everyone,

Just sent my secondary application about 4 days ago. My MCAT score is a 23, but my overall GPA is a 3.51 and my science GPA is a little higher. I know that the average GA-PCOM score is about a 25 and that my MCAT score isn't that competitive, but is there anything I can do to help compensate for it?

Thanks and happy holidays

You'll get in! I know people with stats lower than yours who got in there and other places. Just stay positive and blow them away when you're offered an interview. Belive in yourself, not SDN
 
My letters have been messed up with Interfolio and I haven't heard a thing from Trena yet. I am so anxious to attend GA PCOM what should I do???
 
My letters have been messed up with Interfolio and I haven't heard a thing from Trena yet. I am so anxious to attend GA PCOM what should I do???

What do you mean your letters are messed up? Has PCOM not recieved them yet? I also emailed Trena and have yet to hear back. Remember it is the holidays...so do not worry. My file is complete,.although i dont think I will hear anything back before the new yr.