PCOM or RVU-CO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHiggs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My long term goal is to live somewhere out west whether that be CO, UT, CA. I've been accepted to both schools but also would like to keep options open for Gen Surg, Ortho or EM. What would be your recommendation for which school to go to given my goals?

Members don't see this ad.

For going to CO, UT, or CA I would say RVU. But, PCOM has pretty good residencies, which will be helpful if you wind up pursuing ortho, which is only going to get harder and harder to match. What does long term mean to you-- right after graduation? Then go to RVU. Otherwise, I'd say PCOM.

For going to CO, UT, or CA I would say RVU. But, PCOM has pretty good residencies, which will be helpful if you wind up pursuing ortho, which is only going to get harder and harder to match. What does long term mean to you-- right after graduation? Then go to RVU. Otherwise, I'd say PCOM.
As a practicing physician is it much easier to move across the country? I suppose I could hold off on the mountains and scenery to help ensure my career for the next 40 years.

As a practicing physician is it much easier to move across the country? I suppose I could hold off on the mountains and scenery to help ensure my career for the next 40 years.
Yep, there are jobs everywhere. You'll never have an issue finding one.

If it's that big of a deal to you, then RVU might be the better choice..it's a great school too. You just have to weigh what's most important to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly I think either way you're in a great boat- both great schools which great match lists. I will say that RVU's match lists for the past few years especially the last two had A LOT of Ortho matches compared to any regular old DO school. However PCOM is super well known in the philly area and a very established DO school.

granted with the merger who really knows how hard or easy it will be from any DO school to match certain . specialties.

I've been accepted to both schools but also would like to keep options open for Gen Surg, Ortho or EM. What would be your recommendation for which school to go to given my goals?

PCOM and it isn't even close. PCOM has residencies in every field, and those residencies heavily favor PCOM students. Their ortho program has multiple PCOM students in each class. Same with GS. PCOM will give you a massive leg up on these fields compared to RVU who does not have these affiliations.

As a practicing physician is it much easier to move across the country?

Yes. Physicians are in high demand. Especially if you do a surgical field you will have great flexibility.

Reactions: 2 users