PCOM or UMDNJ-SOM with scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the subject says it all

PCOM or UMDNJ-SOM with scholarship that makes it basically half of PCOM?????

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say UMDNJ-SOM. I am also thinking w/scholarship (and instate tuition, wich you can qualify for) makes even cheaper than HALF of PCOM.

saving money = happy doc in the future.....

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM is up to $31,101 this year.

One plus...next year PCOM will be a lender so you can get Stafford with no origination fees.

I know I've talked to you a lot Jay. I'm very happy at PCOM, but you need to go with your gut on this one.

Maybe flip a coin?

It's a tough one. Please let me know if you need any detailed info about PCOM to help you out with the decision.

Josh

ptjay...trying to send ya a pm, but your pm box is full.

ptjay..
I was in the SAME situation back in December..and I had no clue what to do. However, I told myself before my acceptances that I would not make money a deciding factor...so that I could choose the school that I felt the most comfortable at and the school that I felt I would do my best at. UMDNJ is an amazing school with a great reputation, however, when I visited (prior to the scholarship offer, obviously) I just felt that it wasn't for me...I liked PCOM better for several reasons. I struggled with the two schools because UMDNJ's offer, like you said, made it about half of PCOM. Needless, to say, I chose PCOM...I went with my gut instinct and the initial attraction that I had towards the school both times that I visited. My advice to you, although it has been a month since you posted your topic and you may have already decided, is to choose the school that you felt the most comfortable at..the one that you would choose if no money was being offered. That is what I did and I can not wait to start at PCOM this August..let me know what you decide!

Good Luck!

ptjay and ASHDO, are you two NJ residents? thanks

I am a resident of the wonderful state of CT.

Go with UMDNJ. You can't beat a scholarship which makes it half the tuition of PCOM.

The only way you would choose PCOM is if it is a much better school than UMDNJ, which it isn't. For all intent and purposes, they are the same.

I think all DO schools when comparing them to each other are relatively the same. There exists no large difference as there can be when comparing allopathic schools. For example, when comparing Harvard vs. Howard, there is no question which school is better. This type of comparison simply does not exist when looking at osteopathic schools.

Also, many people do their residency from where they graduate. Remember that if you do a residency in Philadelphia and if you eventually want to practice in Pennsylvania, you will have to do an AOA internship. You would not have to do this in New Jersey.

I think the choice is clear unless you really think you wouldn't like UMDNJ.

Slickness,

Although your advice on this board have been invaluable to people, this situation might have warranted more "caution" in dispensing advice.

It is my belief that you have never visited UMDNJ-SOM and PCOM. To say that both are relatively the same is too generalized and not based on personal experience. Sure, reputation wise in the osteopathic community, both are well known. In terms of medical communities, obviously PCOM is well known in Philadelphia and UMDNJ-SOM is well known in New Jersey. Overall in the medical community, due to the history of PCOM, the size of its class, and its location (1 out of 6 doctors in the US have some part of their medical education in Philadelphia), PCOM might be more well known. However, students don't choose schools w/o visiting (and interviewing) at these schools. There are other aspects that students should consider - the atmosphere, the size of the student body, the facilities, the neighborhood, potential classmates, afterschool activities, and also tuition cost.

To some (such as AshDO as noted above), these other factors might outweigh the tuition cost. To others, it might not. It really is up to the individual.

Also, your last statement is misleading. If deciding between PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM, AOA internship is a non-issue. Due to the close proximity of both schools to each other (and to the PA/NJ border), graduates have gone to both states for residency and practice. AOA internship is more a matter of DO v MD. If the OP decided to go to UMDNJ-SOM and later decide to practice in PA, then he/she still has to do the AOA internship (or get it waived by the AOA)

Originally posted by Slickness
I think the choice is clear unless you really think you wouldn't like UMDNJ.

If the main factor is money, then I agree, the choice is clear. But I submit, there might be other factors at play here, making this a tough decision for the OP. Otherwise, the OP would never have posted this question (take the money and run, so to speak).

For the reasons stated above, I respectfully disagree with the advice of Slickness.

yep, i am a nj resident

:D

Originally posted by group_theory
Slickness,

Although your advice on this board have been invaluable to people, this situation might have warranted more "caution" in dispensing advice.

It is my belief that you have never visited UMDNJ-SOM and PCOM. To say that both are relatively the same is too generalized and not based on personal experience. Sure, reputation wise in the osteopathic community, both are well known. In terms of medical communities, obviously PCOM is well known in Philadelphia and UMDNJ-SOM is well known in New Jersey. Overall in the medical community, due to the history of PCOM, the size of its class, and its location (1 out of 6 doctors in the US have some part of their medical education in Philadelphia), PCOM might be more well known. However, students don't choose schools w/o visiting (and interviewing) at these schools. There are other aspects that students should consider - the atmosphere, the size of the student body, the facilities, the neighborhood, potential classmates, afterschool activities, and also tuition cost.

To some (such as AshDO as noted above), these other factors might outweigh the tuition cost. To others, it might not. It really is up to the individual.

Also, your last statement is misleading. If deciding between PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM, AOA internship is a non-issue. Due to the close proximity of both schools to each other (and to the PA/NJ border), graduates have gone to both states for residency and practice. AOA internship is more a matter of DO v MD. If the OP decided to go to UMDNJ-SOM and later decide to practice in PA, then he/she still has to do the AOA internship (or get it waived by the AOA)

If the main factor is money, then I agree, the choice is clear. But I submit, there might be other factors at play here, making this a tough decision for the OP. Otherwise, the OP would never have posted this question (take the money and run, so to speak).

For the reasons stated above, I respectfully disagree with the advice of Slickness.
Fair enough group theory. You're right. I don't know too much about the schools. Half tuition just seems like way too good of a deal to pass up. :)

Slickness is 100% correct, and there is no other factor to consider that is more significant than a 100K savings(more like 200K in real dollars after interest and 20 years). I go to a private DO school and let me tell you looking at my student debt makes me cringe. No DO school is 100K better than another, so please don't use your gut in this decision use your brain. When all is said and done nobody is going to care what do school you went to(patients or residency programs) you will create your success via your own hard work and merit.

I agree with everyone's responses, but to a certain extent. i understand what bigmuny is saying..who could resist the opportunity to go to a school that saves you 100k after you graduate? However, while, sure, it may not make a difference to your patients where you attended school..and sure, you can succeed if you try hard anywhere, but you also want to pick a school where you feel comfortable. I know when I am unhappy somewhere, it is that much harder for me to do my best because I am not as motivated to do well...and I know many people are like that. That is just something to keep in mind when putting the money before your own personal needs.

I REALLY appreciate all the feedback that has been coming through. What I am most concerned about is making sure I can get where I want to from either school. I am interested in ortho, PM&R, gen surg, derm, ER, so the major factor for me is if one school would be stronger in terms of these specialties. From what I have seen both PCOM and UMDNJ seem to do well with getting their students into all these areas except maybe derm.

Please keep the advice coming, I'm still deciding!

Thanks again all,

-J

go PCOM --- soo many great facilities -- you'll have such a great time in philly too...

PCOM is a fine school, and it puts out fine doctors. I worked with PCOM attendings and PCOM students, and have been very impressed by them. However, to echo someone upthread... does it produce doctors who are worth $100,000 more than SOM?

For what it's worth, I like SOM. I'd come here again in a second... and, for me, the money saved is just a bonus. I like the small class size. I know everyone in my class, and would feel comfortable calling anyone for help or info.

This holds true for the attendings and the staff at the school. While on a rotation with a student from PCOM, we drove over to the school to take care of a few errands. We were a little late getting back to the office because I had to stop and say hello to all of the office staff, almost all of whom know me by name. Granted, it got a little annoying when we were just trying to leave... but the other student was impressed, because (at least in her experience) PCOM is just too big for the students to form those kinds of relationships. Believe me, you'll appreciate having them. I was at a residency interview with a few of my classmates, when one of them was told that her info (Dean's Letter, letters of rec, etc) had never arrived... so she called Academic Affairs, and Nora (who is the most wonderful person on earth), was able to fax all of the papers in before the interviews actually started. I had the registrar track me down through my father because she noticed a problem with my elective application form and she knew that I was setting up it last minute and needed to fix things _now_ or be completely screwed. I'm not saying that these kinds of things don't happen at PCOM... but I can say for a fact that they do happen at SOM.

You'll get a great education at both schools. You'll make good friends at both schools. You'll get a great residency spot coming out of either school (as long as you make an effort). Yeah, PCOM is in Philly, but Stratford is only 15 miles away... and a lot of PCOM students end up doing rotations far away from Philly.

As for your interests... yeah, you can do them from either school. I can't really speak for derm... I don't know if we have anyone applying this year. We have plenty of people going into all of the other specialties that you listed, however... and I really have to plug the PM&R/Pain Management rotation at SOM. Even if you end up at PCOM, do an elective here anyway... it's fantastic. (And, even better, a letter of recommendation from the attending means a lot, especially if you're interested in Philly or NJ programs- definitely including Kessler. I had said letter and I interviewed at said programs, and it was always commented upon. Of course, I also interviewed for pediatrics and ended up ranking peds in the end... but that's just my personal weirdness.)

Anyway, that's just my disjointed take on the situation. Do what makes you happy and what you believe will make you the best doctor you can be... but, seriously, think about those loans. I'm staggering out of med school and undergrad owing about $160,000... and I'm damn grateful that that's so low. Really.

If you have any questions about SOM, please e-mail or PM me... or just look at some of my old posts. Over the last four years I've probably managed to hit just about every strength and weakness of SOM... but I'm graduating in May, so someone else will have to take over soon!

Bests,
Paige