2022-2023 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary Questions:
Secondary prompt: Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school.

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all:) I am a recent graduate from KYCOM. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone! I am an up-and-coming third year medical student at KYCOM. Please feel free to ask me questions on anything regarding school and Pikeville!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone - soon to be 4th year (after completion of Step/Level 2 this month). DM's are always open and best of luck this upcoming application cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
How rural is Pikeville? I am from a big city in South Florida
Same. Also got my secondary too. How do we upload our LOR if we sent them through AACOMAS? It says to do it through the secondary but it doesn't give an option

Does it say application and LOR incomplete after submission of secondary ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted secondary. My portal also says the same as above posters mentioned. Maybe it will change once our app is pushed through/manually reviewed for completeness (not sure if they do this, just seems logical)

How rural is Pikeville? I am from a big city in South Florida
It’s pretty rural. There is some shopping and places to eat, but it is small. The nearest city is about 2 hrs away (and so is the airport). I didn’t find it to be a big deal because you spend majority of your time studying, being in school, doing community service so there isn’t much time for a lot of other things. If you like the outdoors it’s great. Plenty of hiking with 3 national parks nearby. It’s also nice to travel to the bigger cities with friends you make in school after block (you get the next day off after your exam). The community is also very tight and has the small town charm-cookouts, community events (Alzheimer’s walk, March of dimes, hillbilly days).

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
That's what mine says too. But when I click on LOR it shows all my letter writers...idk how to pick the ones I want to use for this school
I emailed admissions and they told me don’t worry about having more than the required, they will read and sort out the ones they want to use to meet the requirements!

• Love
In the application status page i see "Letters of recommendations" marked as "incomplete" But when i click Letters of recommendations it takes me to a page where i can see recommender as "Health Professions Office" and the status as received. This college takes letters of recommendation from aacomas and we need not send them separately right?

In the application status page i see "Letters of recommendations" marked as "incomplete" But when i click Letters of recommendations it takes me to a page where i can see recommender as "Health Professions Office" and the status as received. This college takes letters of recommendation from aacomas and we need not send them separately right?
Yes

Does anybody know what the secondary prompt is? I will be applying in December after my Fall grades are in and I have a better MCAT score. I applied to Pikeville last cycle and did get a secondary, but withdrew before submitting after an admissions rep told me my MCAT was below their minimum to interview (498, I had a 495). Contacted the Director of Admissions and talked about how to improve my application, and he said the main barrier that prevented me from interviewing last year was my MCAT and lower GPA, told me to reapply in December with a better MCAT and a semester of good graduate course grades. I fit the mission statement to a tee and I'm from rural Appalachia (OOS), so I am hoping for an interview next Spring. Want to prewrite my secondary if I can. I know last year it was basically describing your experiences with Osteopathic Medicine.

Also, I want to go into Rural FM, but I have not shadowed a rural FM DO. I worked as a scribe with a DO in the ED and he wrote my letter last year and he said he would resubmit it this year. Should I seek out a rural FM DO letter? I mean when I spoke with the Admissions Director he didn't mention my letters at all so I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I'm just asking since Pikeville is predisposed to primary care.

Also, this is my first post on here so I don't really know what I'm doing, I made this account in high school but haven't been on it in years

Yes! We have a lot of students from OOS
I'm OOS (Alabama), but I kind of have ties to the school/area, my older sister graduated from Pikeville and still practices in eastern Kentucky, I'm up there occasionally to see her. Do you think this could work in my favor toward getting an interview compared to other OOS applicants? We're both First Generation too, I'm not sure if Pikeville looks at that

Does anybody know what the secondary prompt is? I will be applying in December after my Fall grades are in and I have a better MCAT score. I applied to Pikeville last cycle and did get a secondary, but withdrew before submitting after an admissions rep told me my MCAT was below their minimum to interview (498, I had a 495). Contacted the Director of Admissions and talked about how to improve my application, and he said the main barrier that prevented me from interviewing last year was my MCAT and lower GPA, told me to reapply in December with a better MCAT and a semester of good graduate course grades. I fit the mission statement to a tee and I'm from rural Appalachia (OOS), so I am hoping for an interview next Spring. Want to prewrite my secondary if I can. I know last year it was basically describing your experiences with Osteopathic Medicine.

Also, I want to go into Rural FM, but I have not shadowed a rural FM DO. I worked as a scribe with a DO in the ED and he wrote my letter last year and he said he would resubmit it this year. Should I seek out a rural FM DO letter? I mean when I spoke with the Admissions Director he didn't mention my letters at all so I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I'm just asking since Pikeville is predisposed to primary care.

Also, this is my first post on here so I don't really know what I'm doing, I made this account in high school but haven't been on it in years
Secondary prompt: Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school.
@PapaGuava
I don't think your letter will be a big deal if the admissions director didn't say anything. They just want a DO letter

I'm OOS (Alabama), but I kind of have ties to the school/area, my older sister graduated from Pikeville and still practices in eastern Kentucky, I'm up there occasionally to see her. Do you think this could work in my favor toward getting an interview compared to other OOS applicants? We're both First Generation too, I'm not sure if Pikeville looks at that
100%. When did she graduate? Kycom does like first generation students and with your sister also going to Kycom that could help you a lot. I just graduated and begin my residency in Alabama Friday:)

Reactions: 1 users
Correct, I would contact Michael Kennedy to let him know of the discrepancy. Sometimes it does not automatically change it in the system but I would let him know so that way your file is marked complete.

100%. When did she graduate? Kycom does like first generation students and with your sister also going to Kycom that could help you a lot. I just graduated and begin my residency in Alabama Friday:)
Congrats!!! I was born and raised here, it's a great state, I hope you enjoy your time here. She graduated in 2015! 12 years older than me, I'm the baby. Honestly I did not list her on the relative list on my app last year because I was afraid it might hurt my chances because I did not want to be asked, "are you just going into medicine because of her", etc. Do you think they might ask me why I did not list her last year? I withdrew before filling out the secondary. I mean I could always say I thought they meant mom/dad with relatives or that I accidentally submitted without listing her. Or should I just be honest?

I hope it helps, KYCOM is at the top of my list. Michael Kennedy said the main thing that prevented me from interviewing last year (if I did submit my secondary I mean) was my GPA/MCAT. He said to get those up and encouraged me to reapply this December. I told him that my sGPA would still be only 3.1X after one semester of A’s and he said he knows, but for me to get the best grades I can and still reapply in December. I know it's late in the cycle, but since he encouraged it I am hopeful that's a good sign and he will remember my name once my app comes back around, I spoke with him about my app and how to improve a few times over the phone/email.

He said he reviews each application, and I believe him, they seem very holistic in the process.

After I apply in December and (hopefully) interview next Spring, would it help to tell them during the interview that KYCOM is my top choice if I am accepted?

Last edited:
I don’t think they will ask, but I would mention it in your interview:) you can always say you just want to try on your own without nepotism.

Mike doesn’t interview people but I would definitely let your interviewers know that it’s your top choice! They always like hearing that and it can be helpful. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Sorry it took me so long to reply, not sure why the notifications aren’t coming to my email

does anyone know when II first get sent out?
On last year's thread, the first person that mentioned anything about an interview invite was during the second week of August. Although I am not entirely sure, they may send them out a bit earlier or later this year.

Does anyone know if Pikeville sends secondaries to people with a pending MCAT? I submitted my app last week and was verified on Monday, but haven’t heard anything. In state applicant but took my MCAT on 6/30 so the score isn’t back yet

I got the secondary this morning! So I’ve answered my own question. Lol. Good luck everyone!

@PapaGuava
I don't think your letter will be a big deal if the admissions director didn't say anything. They just want a DO letter

Quick question— I received my secondary app this morning and when I click on the secondary app tab within the portal, it shows the prompt you have written above.

However on the “welcome” landing page within the Secondary portal, it has that prompt with an additional sentence saying “please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.”

Do we need to answer this as well?? I’ve attached a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 200
Hello,
I just received the secondary and was a little confused with the prompt and if it would be okay to talk about my experiencing from scribing with DO’s because the prompt talks about experience from care and treatment and shadowing which I haven’t gotten to do. Thank you!

Hello,
I just received the secondary and was a little confused with the prompt and if it would be okay to talk about my experiencing from scribing with DO’s because the prompt talks about experience from care and treatment and shadowing which I haven’t gotten to do. Thank you!
The only experience with a DO I have is through scribing. So that is what I talked about.

Hello everyone! I am an up-and-coming third year medical student at KYCOM. Please feel free to ask me questions on anything regarding school and Pikeville!
Hello, is there housing on-campus for med students or is it all off campus?

Hello, is there housing on-campus for med students or is it all off campus?
All off campus but everything is within 10min and plenty of options within walking distance

Hello everyone, I am a current PGY-2 checking in after hearing the news of our dean lol.
I can barely recognize half our faculty listed on the website, but feel free to pm me any questions about the school, especially regarding the residency application stuff!

Hello everyone, I am a current PGY-2 checking in after hearing the news of our dean lol.
I can barely recognize half our faculty listed on the website, but feel free to pm me any questions about the school, especially regarding the residency application stuff!
Haven't heard anything. Im assuming he's quitting?

What do you mean by “checking in after hearing the news of our Dean”? What news?

Interesting, where can I find more information about the dean leaving?

Quick question— I received my secondary app this morning and when I click on the secondary app tab within the portal, it shows the prompt you have written above.

However on the “welcome” landing page within the Secondary portal, it has that prompt with an additional sentence saying “please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.”

Do we need to answer this as well?? I’ve attached a photo.
what did you end up doing? i see the same thing so i'm confused