2022-2023 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Ooh maybe October is the time I might hear something 👀

Hey! Just got an interview invite from KYCOM and was wanting to get a bit more info on it! If you don't have time to answer all the questions that's fine but I figured

For your M3/4 do you stay in one clinical site or do you move around for your different rotations?

I saw online they have a 99% match rate and a 95% COMLEX pass rate, did you take the STEP exams too?

How has the match gone in recent years? Do they only match into rural FM/IM programs or do you see people matching into more competitive specialties?

As of now, I'm wanting to do bone marrow transplant. I'd love to end up in an academic ICU IM residency for my first 3 years so I can match into a good program for fellowship, do people struggle with academic program matches at all?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm an info person and planner. Thank you in advance!
For M3/M4 year you can stay and attend PMC for those years or you can go to one of the contracted sites they have (there’s a list on their webpage or you can google it). 3rd year you will for sure be at that core site but 4th year you can travel wherever you want (do audition rotations at places you would like to go for residency, go somewhere closer to home etc) the school will help you:)

I did not take Step exams. I matched family medicine and it’s not required for us to take Step if you are wanting Family Med so I decided not to take it.

We have plenty of people match into non-rural and competitive specialties. Everyone (DO and MD) have the same first 2 years with the exception that DO’s also have OMM to learn as well. What you do in 3rd and 4th year is what matters (and of course passing boards, leadership, research etc). It’s all in what you make of it and who you meet along the way. The best advice I can give is to start looking for residency programs you would be interested in and see what they require and make contacts. A lot of medicine is who you know and how much interest you have shown.

Reactions: 1 users
For M3/M4 year you can stay and attend PMC for those years or you can go to one of the contracted sites they have (there’s a list on their webpage or you can google it). 3rd year you will for sure be at that core site but 4th year you can travel wherever you want (do audition rotations at places you would like to go for residency, go somewhere closer to home etc) the school will help you:)

I did not take Step exams. I matched family medicine and it’s not required for us to take Step if you are wanting Family Med so I decided not to take it.

We have plenty of people match into non-rural and competitive specialties. Everyone (DO and MD) have the same first 2 years with the exception that DO’s also have OMM to learn as well. What you do in 3rd and 4th year is what matters (and of course passing boards, leadership, research etc). It’s all in what you make of it and who you meet along the way. The best advice I can give is to start looking for residency programs you would be interested in and see what they require and make contacts. A lot of medicine is who you know and how much interest you have shown.

Hey quick q , so if the steps are not mandatory for d.o students why do some take them anyway ? Does that make them more competitive to certain residences?

Interviewed 9/19, got the acceptance call this morning!

Congrats! How was the interview style was it laid back ... what did they focus on ? I know the school focuses on the underserved ( as do all d.o schools) but is there anything specific to pikeville .. appreciate your time !

Congrats! How was the interview style was it laid back ... what did they focus on ? I know the school focuses on the underserved ( as do all d.o schools) but is there anything specific to pikeville .. appreciate your time
Congrats! How was the interview style was it laid back ... what did they focus on ? I know the school focuses on the underserved ( as do all d.o schools) but is there anything specific to pikeville .. appreciate your time !
It was extremely laid back. Director of admissions joins first to talk to you, and he is very nice. He gives out info about when you will hear back. He told me 10 days, but it was about 4 for me. I interviewed on Monday and heard back by Friday. They try to match you with somebody who they think you will vibe with. They wanted it to be like a conversation and gave me permission to interrupt or ask questions at any point. They just want to get to know you. Personally, I interviewed with a faculty member who had a similar background. We are both from the same hometown in Eastern KY, about an hour from Pikeville. So we talked about that for a little bit, and how the school has many alumni that work there. I had a letter of rec from a UPike alum, and they actually graduated with him, so we talked about that. Know your general med school and DO specific interview questions. Some of the questions I remember: Why DO?, Why UPike?, How did you prepare for the MCAT?, Where do I see myself in my career after I graduate?, What are my hobbies?, etc. We had a really engaging conversation that lasted about 45 minutes. Just be yourself. They aren’t trying to stump you with hard questions. Just trying to learn more about the person behind the application. Good luck!!!

So with m3/4 say I choose to rotate at one of the other clinical sites (say Michigan or somewhere else in Kentucky) can I stay at one site for my whole m3? Then with my audition rotations m4 does it have to be at a hospital within the system or can they set them up other places?

Do you have other students you’ve known that have done both COMLEX and step? Is it manageable or terrible?

It was extremely laid back. Director of admissions joins first to talk to you, and he is very nice. He gives out info about when you will hear back. He told me 10 days, but it was about 4 for me. I interviewed on Monday and heard back by Friday. They try to match you with somebody who they think you will vibe with. They wanted it to be like a conversation and gave me permission to interrupt or ask questions at any point. They just want to get to know you. Personally, I interviewed with a faculty member who had a similar background. We are both from the same hometown in Eastern KY, about an hour from Pikeville. So we talked about that for a little bit, and how the school has many alumni that work there. I had a letter of rec from a UPike alum, and they actually graduated with him, so we talked about that. Know your general med school and DO specific interview questions. Some of the questions I remember: Why DO?, Why UPike?, How did you prepare for the MCAT?, Where do I see myself in my career after I graduate?, What are my hobbies?, etc. We had a really engaging conversation that lasted about 45 minutes. Just be yourself. They aren’t trying to stump you with hard questions. Just trying to learn more about the person behind the application. Good luck!!!

Thank u so much for the info !

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey quick q , so if the steps are not mandatory for d.o students why do some take them anyway ? Does that make them more competitive to certain residences?
Yes, there are some residency programs that require it, but they are becoming less and less. Certain specialties prefer you have a step score

So with m3/4 say I choose to rotate at one of the other clinical sites (say Michigan or somewhere else in Kentucky) can I stay at one site for my whole m3? Then with my audition rotations m4 does it have to be at a hospital within the system or can they set them up other places?

Do you have other students you’ve known that have done both COMLEX and step? Is it manageable or terrible?
Yep. You stay at your core site your whole 3rd year and then you can either stay or leave. You can also stay there but do some rotations elsewhere. 4th year is very flexible.

There have been plenty of students who have taken both exams. It’s manageable, you just have to plan ahead. We use the same prep materials. The exams aren’t very different, they just focus more on certain subjects more in-depth. KYCOM provides uworld (which is a step exam prep) and ComBank (comlex prep).

Anyone receive interview recently? Perhaps from August or September complete date?

Did anyone that interviewed this round get a call yesterday? They’ve called on Friday in the past and I was bummed to not get a call!

I think they meet a couple Wednesdays a month to decide if I am remembering correctly from my chat with the admissions director prior to my interview. So they might meet every other week. Hope you hear back soon! We all can relate to the anxiousness!

During my interview towards the end of September, I was told that I should expect to hear back on October 10th!

(aka today que the anxiety)

They told me they meet ever two weeks and the next time is the 19

Was it relatively easy to schedule the interview? Plenty of dates and times available? Just got an invite earlier today.

Any current KYCOM students on here that I could ask a handful of questions to over PM?

Can anybody share how they scheduled for the interview?I emailed but no response yet.Should I call?

Can anybody share how they scheduled for the interview?I emailed but no response yet.Should I call?
I emailed saying that I wanted to interview and gave them a general schedule. Then someone called me asking what available times would work. Did you send your email over the weekend? They probably only respond during business hours.

Reactions: 1 user
I emailed saying that I wanted to interview and gave them a general schedule. Then someone called me asking what available times would work. Did you send your email over the weekend? They probably only respond during business hours.
Yea I emailed on Saturday morning.I guess I will wait until today and give a call tomorrow

Was the materials that we have to review before interview sent out a day before the interview?got the zoom invite but not the materials

Was the materials that we have to review before interview sent out a day before the interview?got the zoom invite but not the materials
I got mine before the interview. The person who scheduled my interview sent those the the director of admissions sent the zoom link.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user