Pediatric anesthesia fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedumbDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched the forum the threads were pretty old. If I could get an ideal from people who applied to peds anesthesia. How may programs did you apply to? I have about 6 programs I am interested in d/t may factors but was also curious about the following programs:

Pittsburgh
Michigan
Wisconsin
Childrens (chicago)

In terms of peds stuff only,

thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I searched the forum the threads were pretty old. If I could get an ideal from people who applied to peds anesthesia. How may programs did you apply to? I have about 6 programs I am interested in d/t may factors but was also curious about the following programs:

Pittsburgh
Michigan
Wisconsin
Childrens (chicago)

thanks for the help
Don't know much about the ones above. In general, by reputation-
East coast- CHOP=Boston>Hopkins>others.
West coast- Seattle=Stanford>LA>Loma Linda.
Middle- Chicago=Denver=Texas Children's=Cincinnati=Pittsburgh
They all vary based on a number of factors that may be important to you or not.
In house call vs home call
post call days off vs random academic days
PICU in house call vs no call
PICU fellow on call w/ you or not in PICU month
# slots
research opportunities/mentoring potential
average work hours
additional Cardiac or pain fellowships
chronic pain clinic
etc.
Figure out what your ideal combo of the above is and use that to find the programs that offer you exactly what you want. That's what I did.
If you want to work in a particular area after fellowship, try to go there if you're not shooting for CHOP or Boston. They open the doors everywhere.

http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...6/17/best-childrens-hospitals-honor-roll.html

I don't much care about US News's opinion of the best children's hospitals, but their site provided me with some good information.
If you are interested in congenital cardiac, like I am, look at the cardiac section for each of the 'top' hospitals. You can find the number of complex congenital cardiac cases they have per year. I divided that number by the number of fellows at each program to try to get a ballpark idea of the peds cardiac exposure I would get. Some big name programs take so many fellows that you couldn't possibly get much experience.
Of course I didn't make my decision based on this formula, but I like hard data and found this better than nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arkansas Children's Hospital is a hidden gem. Not one of the often-mentioned elite programs on this board but I do believe you get outstanding training there. Low faculty to fellow ratio. Hefty number of hearts cases. Lots of pathology. Well-respected in the pediatric anesthesia realm.

Pittsburgh
Michigan
Wisconsin
Childrens (chicago)

thanks for the help

I rotated thru Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh as a resident last year. I don't have other programs to compare it to, but its a fantastic training program, with great cases and phenomenal attendings. The fellows work hard, I'd have to say 60+ hrs/wk but not excessive. As a resident, I had 3 weekends off per month, which I believe was the same for fellows. Morning lectures & intraop teaching was excellent. The morale amongst the fellows was great and the attendings were easy to work with. The fellowship director is super cool. If I were to do a peds anesthesia fellowship, I'd definitely give strong consideration to Pitt.

I'm a CA-2 at Yale. We have an excellent, if small fellowship here. They take two fellows per year, and we have 6 dedicated pediatric ORs plus cath lab, MRI, off-floor. Although it is a small program, the numbers of complicated cases that each fellow does (CDHs, TEF, cardiac) is comparable to the big programs. We probably do have fewer congenital patients coming for routine procedures (I.E. s/p TOF coming for T&A) than the major referral centers.
The peds department is fantastic in terms of the attendings. They are incredibly skilled and knowledgeable.
I've had several surgeons who trained at the huge Children's Hospitals (Boston, CHOP) complement our anesthesia attendings in comparison to those where they trained. They are also some of the nicest people I've ever worked with, and without exception, they will go out of their way to facilitate resident and fellow education and give us opportunities for procedures or making decisions in patient management. They really seem to have achieved perfect combination of giving the trainees independence, yet being able to step in and support us whenever we need help.
Schedule: no overnight or weekend in-house call, the fellows split up beeper call, but are rarely called in (only for a "fellow-level" case like a CDH)

Anyone know anything about the pedi fellowship at Children's National in DC? Seems like they should have a good amount of volume based on the number of fellows they have (think it is 8).

anybody know why seattle childrens peds fellowship didnt fill this past year? that place is awesome!

Just a general question (esp. to you IlD), are most pediatric anesthesiologist positions held within academics? Obviously there are childrens' hospitals throughout the US. But what percentage of Peds trained anesthesiologists work in academics and what percentage work in private practice?

Just a general question (esp. to you IlD), are most pediatric anesthesiologist positions held within academics? Obviously there are childrens' hospitals throughout the US. But what percentage of Peds trained anesthesiologists work in academics and what percentage work in private practice?

Who cares? If you want academics, you can get it. If you want private practice, you can get it too. Percentage academic vs PP reflects what other people want, not what you want.

I care, that's why I asked the question. From what I can guess, most complex peds cases would go to academic centers as they are not run of the mill cases. But, is the private practice market big enough to sustain complex peds cases requiring peds trained anesthesiologists?

A general question to those who have completed a peds fellowship. What ballpark percentage of peds trained anesthesiologists remain in academics, and what percentage go to private practice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I care, that's why I asked the question. From what I can guess, most complex peds cases would go to academic centers as they are not run of the mill cases. But, is the private practice market big enough to sustain complex peds cases requiring peds trained anesthesiologists?

A general question to those who have completed a peds fellowship. What ballpark percentage of peds trained anesthesiologists remain in academics, and what percentage go to private practice?

Thanks.

70% do academics. Most children's hospitals are academic. There are fewer but plenty of children's hospitals that are not university affiliated where big peds cases are done and some general hospitals with complex peds.

https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/...o?method=viewGraduates&pageNumber=3&spcCd=042

Seems like the peds anesthesia fellowship is more competitive this year. Anyone else have a hard time getting interviews? Any thoughts on any of these programs: University of Michigan, Miami, Duke, UNC? Thanks!

Seems like the peds anesthesia fellowship is more competitive this year. Anyone else have a hard time getting interviews? Any thoughts on any of these programs: University of Michigan, Miami, Duke, UNC? Thanks!

Are you looking for interviews in the match or outside the match. I think the match was a mistake.

Seems like most of the programs are within the match now. most places I'm looking at are in the match, but honestly it doesnt matter to me.

Seems like most of the programs are within the match now. most places I'm looking at are in the match, but honestly it doesnt matter to me.

I was just curious.
Many places, particularly the larger ones, are in the match but withhold some spots as well. We used to look at about 2 per spot, now I think it's 5 or 6 per match slot.
Good luck.

Yeah, the match has definately led to more interviews which can be a huge pain for both the progams and applicants.

My assessment is that the same people are doing the fellowship, but they are just getting shuffled around the country. Which is a huge headache for people who want to stay at their program.

Does anyone know any specifics about the peds anesthesia fellowship in Denver? I'm most interested in any info about fellows' salaries and whether there are moonlighting opportunities. Thanks for any info

Old thread but wondering what the current opinions are regarding some of the best programs for Peds. Thanks in advance!

is there a place where we can get a list of all peds fellowship programs and emails of the directors if we wanted to email them directly with questions?

Arkansas Children's Hospital is a hidden gem. Not one of the often-mentioned elite programs on this board but I do believe you get outstanding training there. Low faculty to fellow ratio. Hefty number of hearts cases. Lots of pathology. Well-respected in the pediatric anesthesia realm.

Arkansas Children's Hospital used to be a good place to train in anesthesia, but in the past three years, it has gone to the drain. Also the faculty at ACH department of anesthesia is very much racially biased. Recently they did not graduate a fellow of color to graduate, just because one of the "previliged" faculty did not like her.

I would not recommend this place for training or for a job anymore.

NB: MODERATOR EDITED OUT THE NAME OF A PRIVATE CITIZEN

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about that, but I do get recruitment emails from them all the time for the last couple years.
That tells me 2 things. They can't attract quality people and they can't retain what they have. Otherwise they'd just get some of the newly minted fellowship trained folks and be good for another year.
The bar isn't very high to pass a fellowship, so there has to be a lot more to that story. You'd have to either be so unprofessional that you don't want your name associated with the graduate or they'd have to be dangerous. I'm not sure how you can be a danger to patients after 12 months of additional training. You could always remediate for a couple months as well.

--
Il Destriero

I don't know about that, but I do get recruitment emails from them all the time for the last couple years.
That tells me 2 things. They can't attract quality people and they can't retain what they have. Otherwise they'd just get some of the newly minted fellowship trained folks and be good for another year.
The bar isn't very high to pass a fellowship, so there has to be a lot more to that story. You'd have to either be so unprofessional that you don't want your name associated with the graduate or they'd have to be dangerous. I'm not sure how you can be a danger to patients after 12 months of additional training. You could always remediate for a couple months as well.

--
Il Destriero

I agree with you. If you ever go for an interview there.... just ask these questions you have asked here..... They cannot keep the faculty which were there for 20 years and were hard to de-root. It takes a lot of bad things to happen to make someone leave a workplace after 20 years....

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand Ark Children's had a big change in leadership at the highest levels a number of years (2-3?) ago, it triggered some sort of exodus of surgeons and anesthesiologists who had been there for 10-20+ years. I don't know much more details than that, but a "hidden gem fellowship" is exactly the term I heard thrown away about it when my colleagues were looking just last year.

From what I understand Ark Children's had a big change in leadership at the highest levels a number of years (2-3?) ago, it triggered some sort of exodus of surgeons and anesthesiologists who had been there for 10-20+ years. I don't know much more details than that, but a "hidden gem fellowship" is exactly the term I heard thrown away about it when my colleagues were looking just last year.

Yes, "Hidden Gem" used to be..... but no more. They are short of faculty there and it is like a private practice now..... the faculty run two to three sites and are just running around, with no time for teaching anymore....

There are no academic activity going on either, since the academic faculty have left and there is no protected time for the faculty to do any kind of academic work....

Good luck

This is all too bad... I know a guy who was on faculty there a few years ago (and left due to family care reasons). He loooooved it at that time.