Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to clear this up a bit: IS students do get a grant from the state, and they don't have to anything to get it (except write a thank you note).

In previous years this grant was $3000-4000 per year, but with the massive state budget cuts to the vet school, next year's grant will be ~1500, and who knows what it will be from there. In other words, it's not gonna be a significant part of anyone's budget anymore.

Im not a PA resident, but I am considering the year deferral option, so I have to ask. When you refer to this IS grant, is that what accounts for the different between IS and OOS tuition, or is this grant in addition to the lower IS tuition? Did that make sense. Hopefully.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Im not a PA resident, but I am considering the year deferral option, so I have to ask. When you refer to this IS grant, is that what accounts for the different between IS and OOS tuition, or is this grant in addition to the lower IS tuition? Did that make sense. Hopefully.

Thanks

Yeah that made sense. The grant is not what accounts for the difference; it would be an additional discount. That is discouraging to hear that they reduced the amount though.

Bunnity is correct.

Here's my personal opinion on deferment...If it were another school, it might be a better option, but Penn's IS tuition is pretty high as it is. I'm not convinced that saving (at MOST) 10K/year while you're in school is worth being one year older when you finally start working. In the long run, it kinda takes away a year that you could be earning a vet's salary. If you've got a good job now, that's a different story. And that's all just my opinion, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bunnity is correct.

Here's my personal opinion on deferment...If it were another school, it might be a better option, but Penn's IS tuition is pretty high as it is. I'm not convinced that saving (at MOST) 10K/year while you're in school is worth being one year older when you finally start working. In the long run, it kinda takes away a year that you could be earning a vet's salary. If you've got a good job now, that's a different story. And that's all just my opinion, anyway.

Thanks, I appreciate the opinion. I am so ready to start school that I am probably not going to defer, but money is stressing me out.

...but money is stressing me out.

Ditto... I'm doing the financial aid forms now... but as expensive as it is I get past it by reminding myself how flippin exciting it is to be in :D.

Also, regarding the Cornell thing in other posts, I know at least one of the people in our class went to Cornell undergrad. She's a PA resident though so idk if that helps dispell that rumor at all...

So I have been delaying replying to my interview offer to confirm I'm coming because the interview is over my spring break and I already had plans. So I'd have to change my flight to come home early for the interview. Normally, that would be fine, but I don't think I really want to go to Penn anymore...
but just now a lady from the admissions called my cell phone and asked me if I was coming! I was all flustered and stuttering and sounded completely idiotic, but said I would be coming for sure (because I wanted to sound enthusiastic about it). Am I totally stuck in going now? They said to reply by March 10th, so I was waiting until then so I could think about it a little. Now even if I am going, it probably seems like I am a procrastinator and disorganized for not replying right away! What should I do??:eek:

I am sure that they wanted to know so they could go ahead and call someone else to take your spot if you weren't interested.

However, you earned your interview, so don't feel bad if you want to take it (IE don't feel like you're taking a spot from someone else). This is your decision, and you're allowed to be a bit selfish--don't let anyone else's feelings play into it too much! It never hurts to go check out a school and make sure that you're making the right decision.

On the other hand, if you really aren't interested, I think it would be okay to call or email back by tomorrow and decline your interview offer. Mrs. Herpen is super-duper nice and accommodating and I'm sure she would be okay with offering your interview spot to another hopeful student ;)

So, you have both options open to you--I don't think you're stuck either way! Just take a deep breath and think about what you really want to to do! :)

I know people were getting rejection emails, but I haven't heard anything either way. Are there others still waiting for some kind of response?

I know people were getting rejection emails, but I haven't heard anything either way. Are there others still waiting for some kind of response?

No word here either... so these next few weeks I'll be obsessively checking SDN, emails and cell phone!
:luck:

No word either. A friend and I have been trying to call the admissions office and they keep sending us straight to voicemail! Clearly trying to hide from crazed pre-vets like us...

Ditto... I'm doing the financial aid forms now... but as expensive as it is I get past it by reminding myself how flippin exciting it is to be in :D.

Shanomong, did you just get your forms off the website? I was kind of waiting for them to send something out, but I want to get it over with!

Thanks, I appreciate the opinion. I am so ready to start school that I am probably not going to defer, but money is stressing me out.

Then again, any loans you accrue will practically double in your lifetime. But I would go with my gut feeling. If you've been ready for months, by all means go!

Tuition sucks.:thumbdown:thumbdown

Members don't see this ad :)
Shanomong, did you just get your forms off the website? I was kind of waiting for them to send something out, but I want to get it over with!

One of the folders they give you during your interview has all of the financial aid stuff in it. It's ugly... they recommend borrowing over 50,000 a year for IS just to cover tuition and living expenses, books, etc....

VNair2, as much as I enjoy your facebook emails and hope you'll be in our class ;), I think the difference between IS and OOS tuition is a big one, even if it seems small compared to the massive tuition pricetag we all pay regardless... I'm pretty sure you can defer to get IS tuition if you move here at least a year before matriculation... def something to consider...

One of the folders they give you during your interview has all of the financial aid stuff in it. It's ugly... they recommend borrowing over 50,000 a year for IS just to cover tuition and living expenses, books, etc....

Thank you, I could have sworn I saw financial aid forms but I kept looking in the white folder instead of the blue folder... yeah those are some scary looking budgets. They did list the PA state grant as 3000 though; I hope that is still true.

So I know for the health professions and perkins loans they need parental info; does that also apply for any scholarships through Penn? (I generally don't talk to my parents but it might be worthwhile to try to get them to fill out their forms...sigh)

PA state grant is only $1000 next year, but IS tuition isn't going up while OOS is (by 4% i think).

They did list the PA state grant as 3000 though; I hope that is still true.

Those budgets (unfortunately) were for c/o 2012 and earlier... I heard it was $1500 for us but now Deanna says $1,000....eek....

* Out-of State Resident Tuition with general fee is $40,058

Instate: Tuition & General Fee* $32,902- 1,000 in state grant ~ In-state is about $8,000 cheaper per year = $32,000 cheaper total. With interest, up to $64,000 cheaper during your lifetime. I dunno. I'd be careful...

Instate: Tuition & General Fee* $32,902- 1,000 in state grant ~ In-state is about $8,000 cheaper per year = $32,000 cheaper total. With interest, up to $64,000 cheaper during your lifetime. I dunno. I'd be careful...

Didn't Mac say our tuition was $10,000 cheaper not including the grant? Maybe he was factoring in the new OOS tuition increase? I didn't actually look at the OOS numbers in my packet...

Sure, but if you assume that your Retirement date doesn't change, then by choosing to graduate a year later you're eliminating a year of a vet's salary...which will probably be a 6 digit figure if you take it from the back end of your career. There's a significant opportunity cost associated with a deferral.

PA state grant is only $1000 next year, but IS tuition isn't going up while OOS is (by 4% i think).

Thanks for the correction on the IS grant.

The 3.9% increase for OOS students is about a $1500 increase in tuition, but the IS students are getting a $2000 decrease in the grant, so it will actually have a bigger impact on them....as if $500 isn't just a drop in the tuition bucket.

Sure, but if you assume that your Retirement date doesn't change, then by choosing to graduate a year later you're eliminating a year of a vet's salary...which will probably be a 6 digit figure if you take it from the back end of your career. There's a significant opportunity cost associated with a deferral.

Hmmm.... never thought about it that way. And I also wonder what the stats are on medical professionals paying off their loans early? Once you get 10 years into your career I'm assuming you can afford to pay a bit more than the minimum.... so you won't actually end up paying the highest amount of interest possible.

Thanks for the correction on the IS grant.

The 3.9% increase for OOS students is about a $1500 increase in tuition, but the IS students are getting a $2000 decrease in the grant, so it will actually have a bigger impact on them....as if $500 isn't just a drop in the tuition bucket.

Yuck :thumbdown:

Two years ago the IS grant was $4200 so compared to that, the 1k is even worse. That might be where Mac is getting the 10k difference from, since it was close to 10 when we had the 4200.

True, but it depends on circumstance. If you have a somewhat lucrative job now, then salary now + money saved due to IS tuition could be greater than say what you would make for one year as a shelter vet. Then again, if you are a vet tech now and want to specialize, you probably would make more than salary now + money save due to IS tuition as a vet.

Two years ago the IS grant was $4200 so compared to that, the 1k is even worse. That might be where Mac is getting the 10k difference from, since it was close to 10 when we had the 4200.

god that's depressing! Then again, those graduating now might have more trouble bc of the economy? Silver lining for class of '13? At least septa decided not to go on strike! :laugh:

True, but it depends on circumstance. If you have a somewhat lucrative job now, then salary now + money saved due to IS tuition could be greater than say what you would make for one year as a shelter vet. Then again, if you are a vet tech now and want to specialize, you probably would make more than salary now + money save due to IS tuition as a vet.

Absolutely true, and I mentioned that it depends on your job/salary in my first post. However, I think you have to eliminate the year's salary from the back end of your career, and the vet majority of vets will be making a lot more when they've been in practice for 30 years than they do when they start out, even if they're shelter vets. There are certainly some jobs out there that are worth keeping for another year, but I doubt that there are very many that are worth more than a year's salary of an experienced vet.

Also worth considering is the effect on when you start a family, if that's important to you or relevant to the situation. Graduating at 28 instead of 27 isn't a huge difference, but getting out of school a year earlier gives you that much more time to fit starting a family into your life...and if you're gonna do a residency, the difference between finishing a residency at 32 or finishing at 33 might be significant. Obviously, that's not applicable to everyone, but for some people it's something to keep in mind.

VNair2, as much as I enjoy your facebook emails and hope you'll be in our class ;), I think the difference between IS and OOS tuition is a big one, even if it seems small compared to the massive tuition pricetag we all pay regardless... I'm pretty sure you can defer to get IS tuition if you move here at least a year before matriculation... def something to consider...

I see you deciphered my cryptic SDN name. As you can see, creativity is not my specialty.

Vijay Nair

just a heads up on financial aid stuff: the tuition does not include a 2000 "general fee" and 810 technology fee... that one was fun to realize!

just a heads up on financial aid stuff: the tuition does not include a 2000 "general fee" and 810 technology fee... that one was fun to realize!

I'm not sure about that. The advertised OOS tuition is 40,058. We were billed for tuition at 19,029 (x2), and the general fee at 1000 (x2), for a total of 40,058. The technology fee of 405 (x2) isn't included in the advertised tuition, but the 2K general fee is.

Also for incoming students to consider: Everyone is charged a "Clinical Fee" of $200/semester. If you have your own health insurance, you still have to pay the fee. If you get the school's insurance ($2600/yr), the fee is refunded to you.

Penn finally sent my rejection email today, at 5 pm.

thought anyone else waiting might like to know that it seems another round of rejections have gone out.

thought anyone else waiting might like to know that it seems another round of rejections have gone out.

I wonder if there is any reason behind the staggered rejections, seems like at this point in the game they'd have sent out all the interview invites that they planned on giving out.

Thanks for posting....But sorry for the bad news even though you did make it pretty far into the cycle :(

I've been reading this forum for at least 2 years, so instead of continuing to be creepy and spy on you without participating, I'm actually joining now.

So how incredibly sad is it that I couldn't figure out the answer to the security question ("the plasma form of this element is found in the sun" or however it's phrased)?

Okay, so, I applied to UPenn last year - my senior year of undergrad - and no other schools at that time and I was rejected. I met with them, discussed it, then gave it another go this year. I also applied to Tufts and Cornell.

So far, I've been rejected from Tufts and Cornell and UPenn is just keeping me hanging. They didn't reject me until mid to late March last year though so I'm not surprised, although starting to get discouraged thinking it will be the same answer again.

I've got tons of experience and I'm a clever one....I know my way around animals and working in the field of medicine....but my GPA is below the average pre-vet because I was dumb and did Chemical Engineering thinking "oh boy, this will make me stand out!" but instead it just killed my chances at perfect grades and I found out too late they don't give consideration to lower GPA for nontraditional undergrad majors. That's no fun.

Okay, I rambled enough. Hiiii everyone! Glad to be here, late though I may be. Good luck to those still waiting to hear results :scared:

Oh - another key point in my life - last year I was OOS, since then I have ESTABLISHED RESIDENCY JUST FOR THE SAKE OF INCREASING MY CHANCES AT PENN...so I'm IS this year. That's why I call myself a groupie. I'm beyond pathetic. Plus I could be making over $70k as a ChE but instead I'm less than $20k as a vet tech just to boost the resume.

eeeh...residency doesn't really count for too much at Penn, unfortunately (coming from a PA resident who has been rejected from Penn twice now)

Word on the street is that all interview invites have been sent, but I'll cross my fingers for you, Groupie:)

Groupie, if you've already got a couple of years as a vet tech under your belt, then working as a chemical engineer might be BENEFICIAL to your future applications.

Don't schools want to see diversity? I think you want something to make you stand out. If what you say is true and you have plenty of clinical experience with animals, then is another year really going to enhance your application much?
Wouldn't you rather be the applicant that they can easily remember as "that chemical engineer guy/gal"?

Just speaking freely.

And worst case scenario, if you were ever asked about why you did not continue as a vet tech for another year, you could just say that you couldn't afford to.

More than that, do what's going to make you happy.

If I get accepted into Penn, I'm not going to try to defer just to get in-state residency primarily because I wouldn't be happy sitting around waiting for a year.

Well, I was rejected from NC State today (officially!) and so I'll be sending in my deposit to Penn sometime next week! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Well, I was rejected from NC State today (officially!) and so I'll be sending in my deposit to Penn sometime next week! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Well welcome :D

Hopefully choosing Penn based on a rejection doesn't quell the excitement at all!!

Just out of curiosity, was NC your IS?

When I met with someone from the admissions board to discuss my rejection last year, he said that little to no consideration is given to undergraduate major and only care about if you met the prereqs. My GPA is certainly not terrible....I was above average in my small class at Lehigh U, but like I said it's not typical pre-vet competition.

He also said that residency increases chances of acceptance TEN times.....I think the numbers were (for 2012 applicants) 1300 applications, 250 of those were IS, and about 50 from IS and 50 from OOS are accepted....thus the ones accepted IS only need to beat 200 others, vs. the OOS that need to top 1,250 applicants. Obviously there's a lot more to it then viewing it like a raffle, but undeniably in state (at least at UPenn) has a much better shot at it.

I've seriously considered going back to a ChE career, for money's sake, and various vets and UPenn alumni have told me mixed thoughts on their opinions one way or the other. I'm also thinking my "new back up" might be equine dentistry - I need to do more research into it (and please offer advice if you do have experience or info) but I think it's much easier to get into school (8 wk program) and do the certification, do a paid apprenticeship for a year or so, and then make a decent salary. I'll definitely be switching jobs this year to step up my life, since at this point (mid-March that is) it's highly likely I'm about to receive a rejection, and reapplying without a change in life would be pointless and a waste of time and money. I could always reapply with new experience and resume boosters in a year or two.

When I met with someone from the admissions board to discuss my rejection last year, he said that little to no consideration is given to undergraduate major and only care about if you met the prereqs. My GPA is certainly not terrible....I was above average in my small class at Lehigh U, but like I said it's not typical pre-vet competition.

He also said that residency increases chances of acceptance TEN times.....I think the numbers were (for 2012 applicants) 1300 applications, 250 of those were IS, and about 50 from IS and 50 from OOS are accepted....thus the ones accepted IS only need to beat 200 others, vs. the OOS that need to top 1,250 applicants. Obviously there's a lot more to it then viewing it like a raffle, but undeniably in state (at least at UPenn) has a much better shot at it.

I've seriously considered going back to a ChE career, for money's sake, and various vets and UPenn alumni have told me mixed thoughts on their opinions one way or the other. I'm also thinking my "new back up" might be equine dentistry - I need to do more research into it (and please offer advice if you do have experience or info) but I think it's much easier to get into school (8 wk program) and do the certification, do a paid apprenticeship for a year or so, and then make a decent salary. I'll definitely be switching jobs this year to step up my life, since at this point (mid-March that is) it's highly likely I'm about to receive a rejection, and reapplying without a change in life would be pointless and a waste of time and money. I could always reapply with new experience and resume boosters in a year or two.

I know a equine dentist. I'm not sure where you are located but feel free to PM me if you want her contact info. (I'm in Long Island, NY) I rode along with her a few times and most of her work is very repetitive as she had stated herself, but she enjoys it and it seems to solve a lot of problems that people would never guess were related to teeth. I know she also goes to different schools with a few other equine dentists to lecture/have conferences on the subject.

Well welcome :D

Hopefully choosing Penn based on a rejection doesn't quell the excitement at all!!

Just out of curiosity, was NC your IS?

Not at all! I've always wanted to go to UPenn, but was trying to be responsible about tuition costs, haha. I mean, I'm disappointed/hurt about NC State (it is my IS option) but I am super pumped to be able to accept at Penn! :D

And I'd be careful about going the equine dentist route--make sure you do your research! Some states are starting to crack down on non-DVMs performing dentistry, in large part (I get the feeling) because the AAEP is starting to pressure them to do so. I know there have been some threads in the past on the Chronicle of the Horse forums about it (www.chronicleforums.com) in the Horse Care section, so you may want to read through those.

I'd just hate for you to get the certification, go to school, etc. and then have it outlawed in your home state.

Not at all! I've always wanted to go to UPenn, but was trying to be responsible about tuition costs, haha. I mean, I'm disappointed/hurt about NC State (it is my IS option) but I am super pumped to be able to accept at Penn! :D

YAY Penn!!!!!!! :D

Welcome, Groupie! :)

I wouldn't be too afraid to work as an engineer between now and getting into vet school... Although that's probably easier said than done right now, since not many places seem to be hiring. My degree is in mechanical engineering, and I've been working in that field for about six years now. My grades weren't amazing (~3.25 for undergrad, ~3.5 for postbacc stuff), and I'm sure I had much less veterinary experience than the average successful applicant. I really think that the ways in which I differ from the typical applicant are mainly responsible for getting me in.

And about the grades - to my surprise, Mr. Keiter told me that they DO view a 3.25 in engineering differently than a 3.25 in biology or similar. Several years ago I met with him to discuss my odds before I spent several years finishing up prereqs while working full time... I thought I would be laughed out of the room based on my GPA, but that was not the case at all.

Equine dentistry also sounds like a viable option... It was on the list of things to look into if this whole vet school thing didn't pan out.

And I'd be careful about going the equine dentist route--make sure you do your research! Some states are starting to crack down on non-DVMs performing dentistry, in large part (I get the feeling) because the AAEP is starting to pressure them to do so. I know there have been some threads in the past on the Chronicle of the Horse forums about it (www.chronicleforums.com) in the Horse Care section, so you may want to read through those.

I'd just hate for you to get the certification, go to school, etc. and then have it outlawed in your home state.

The equine dentist I am referring to is a DVM, not one of the old school people without a license. Why people would trust a non-DVM to take care of their animals is beyond me.

Last edited:
The equine dentist I am referring to is a DVM, not one of the old school people without a license. Why people would trust a non-DVM to take care of their animals is beyond me.

not to get this thread rolling on another subject, but i had to laugh out loud at this silly statement. sure, i wouldn't trust a non-DVM to do surgery, but to "take care of" my animals? teeth? heck yes. that 'old school' dentist has been doing an awful lot more teeth than i will have been when i start taking money for floating teeth. you gonna start restricting shoeing to DVMs soon?

i think all ya'll in-betweeners should come to Penn :). Good luck to those still makings decisions!

So I know the NBC is a full hour away from the Philly campus. Do you have to drive out there every day? Do you move out closer to it? When/what year/how often do you have to go out there? I am just comparing prices between Tufts and Penn, and I would definitely need to buy a used car if I went to Tufts, plus car insurance, which adds a lot to the cost of the school. I'm just wondering if I could get away without having to buy a car if I went to Penn...