People putting you down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentaldiamond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading the posts in this forum for about a year now and they have been my main source of inspiration when I begin to doubt myself.

I was just wondering how all of you pre dental and current dental students deal with people who you love and trust telling you that they do not believe you are good or capable enough to be a dentist.

I know that if your passion is strong enough you shouldnt care what other people think and let it get in your way. But even though I am a strong modivated student I cant help but let these negative comments bring me down sometimes.

Should I tell people that I do not want to be a dentist anymore so that they will leave me alone? If anyone else could share how they deal it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

tell them you are ready for a bet. :) earn some $$ for your tuition :p :D

on a more serious note... your family just cares about you - you will have to keep showing them what you are capable of (do well on your dats, keep up your gpa -- this should allow them to see your capable of)
your friends -- if they are bringing you down, dont spend that much time with them.
during exam time, i stay away from the crazy friends who panic or say they are going to fail. it will bring you down. unlike family, you have a choice in which friends to hang out with.
bottom line. kick butt on ur dats and gpa and shove it in their faces :D

lol good idea I can make a lot of money :cool:
Thank you though ..I will take it as a challenge to prove them wrong when it comes time for DAT's!! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
If people don't think you can do it, you say nuts to you, and doing something you've always dreamed of doing is something that people who should actually care about you should help inspire you to, not bring you down. Even if the chances are long, putting in the hard work can really make a difference. I got so sick of people telling me that maybe I should apply to PA school instead of dental because my GPA was too low, well I showed them didn't I.

Wow, your story gave me the chills! People like you keep me going.. thank you!!

I can't wait until I am in your position and can laugh in their faces :p

Its also funny how everyone around me are able to predict my future or tell me what i am going to be in my future some jobless hobo, etc...
got me thinking wtf are these people they are not god to write my future or not even Nostradamus to predict my future.

what i do is when people say bs like that is i dont say anything. I just wait for my turn so that they can see what i can do. ;) hope this helps
keep your chin up.

it really depends on who you love and trust. if they truly cared for you, then they only want the best for your own interest which happens to be dentistry. albeit that not everybody gets in, but if you try your best and devote solid time preparing for the DAT's then an acceptance to dental school is very possible. maybe the people that you believe to care for you feel you aren't truly committed to the cause or are plain jealous that they don't have the potential and determination to achieve such a far fetched goal. either way, i am unsure of your exact situation, but i can tell you that all hard work pays off! good luck!! :luck:

kick butt on ur dats and gpa and shove it in their faces :D

Gotta agree with that quote right there! I've noticed that some of the most successful people around seem to have overcome both adversity and doubt. Good luck

For the last year I know exactly what you are dealing with!! Throughout the interview process I have had so many people tell me about going to PA school, podiatry school, and all of the other professions I didn't want to do! I had a 3.2 Overall and being white thats below average. But guess what I proved them wrong last month that if you are persistant enough you can get accepted to the school that you want!!! USC was always my #1 choice!!!

I was just wondering how all of you pre dental and current dental students deal with people who you love and trust telling you that they do not believe you are good or capable enough to be a dentist.

I love when people doubt me. Its the motivation that drives me actually. Nothing feels better in this world than to rub my accomplishment into someone else's face.

i know what you mean. i recently had a family member tell me "why don't you just go to medical school?". as a nurse, they have a mentality that doctors are superior above all else. her husband even goes to continue to ask me how much i will be making after i graduate and then say that he wants his daughter to go to medical school and she'll be making twice as much or more than me!

Wait, people who you "love and trust" tell you to your face that you're not capable of being a good dentist?:eek: I'm definitely staying away from the people you hang out w/. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

@ peanutb123 - It helps to know that other people deal with people telling them what they can and cannot be. I will keep my chin up & you do the same! Thanks ;)

@ dentalstudent00- I will work hard and prove them wrong. I need to reconsider who I love and trust because these people obviously don't have my best interest in mind. Thank you!

@ DatRat86- Wow thats crazy thats exactly what people tell me! Congratulations on getting in! It must feel so good to prove them wrong. I can't wait it be in your shoes..

@ dentalWorks- well said..cant wait to have that feeling:laugh:. "use their arrogance as the steam that powers my dream"

@ kpooh- I hate that when people act like someones passion must be because of money. No doctor who goes in solely for money will be happy. I am trying to cut people like that out of my life! They are seriously bringing me down.

@ gorrillaunit18- me too!

Thank you so much everyone! I was feeling like I am the only one that this happens to! Its nice to hear that you guys use this negativity as motivation rather than letting it bring you down. I feel much better and your words make me want to read my Kaplan Blue book 10x today!!! lol THANKS!!!

Yeah, I agree with one of the above posters, typically I find that the people who don't believe in you, don't want you to be as successful as a dentist can be because they're jealous that they can't achieve the same. I talked to someone that said "Oh my son wanted to go to medical school, but you know, he can't afford it and doesn't have the time)" and she was implying that I don't have the time or money to do it either. WHATEVER, if you really want to do it, you'll find a way to make it a priority, and I can't wait to tell her when I'm accepted.

People that don't support you, you don't need them, as you are finding out. They will only slow you down, and who needs that. They are generally people you wouldn't want in your life anyways, at least that's my opinion. Once you get accepted, maybe give them abnother chance to redeem themselves, but like another poster said, around exam time, I stay away from the energy drainers. Let them feed off of someone else.

If you can't tell, i really don't like negative people that try to bring others down, lol, it's an awful way to be.

Keep focused on your goal and everything will become simple. Read that Kaplan book, highlight it, do the problems, and read the answers for what you got wrong AND what you got right. If you're fully commited, you can do anything!! Now go out there and prove them wrong and us right! lol

very true . i have never pushed myself like I will to do well on the DAT and I hope that your right because I am fully committed and I live to prove them wrong!!! lol thanks!!!

I have learned when you step out of your comfort zone to do something big like what we are all trying to accomplish, it makes other people uncomfortable. They dont think you can do it or you are not good enough because they did not do it and they are ignorant about it. I have the same problem but luckily I have an awesome wife who pushes me and 3 kids whose future depend on mine. You can do it dont let them bring you down!

Gotta agree with that quote right there! I've noticed that some of the most successful people around seem to have overcome both adversity and doubt. Good luck

One important caveat OP... dont take this the wrong way -- you need all the positive support while you are trying to achieve your goals but you also need realistic ones. Hence, my 'kick butt on the dats and gpa' advice.

Before anyone pounces on me, I will tell you a situation.
My best friend and roommate and our other roommate were both premed. my bestfriend was not the smartest bulb (or maybe she just didnt apply herself, but she used to get Bs on really easy classes). her advisor straight up told her she wont get into med school with a gpa like hers (I think she was hovering around a 3.0). When she came home from counseling...pissed, our other roomate goaded her on -- saying that forget what the counselor said.. you can do it! so ofcourse my roommate did (and spent months on preparing for the mcats and other premed stuff when she could have been focusing on something else)
Mind you, our other roommate had a 4.0 and didnt give a rats ass to what my best friend did.
So all I am saying is. yes, you need positive support around you. But make sure you get those good grades because without it, you are fooling yourself.

I work full time as a Research Technician at a research institute and when I finally told people at work about my plans to pursue dentistry, they looked at me as if I had 10 heads. Mind you, most of the research techs at my work place either go on to Med school or get a Ph.D. They kept annoying me about why I would want to "stick my hands in someone's mouth all day" and insisted that med school is a better option and ect. So, I was constantly around these negative people for about 1/3 of my day (still am), which def brought me down and made work miserable. But my friends, the staff at the dental clinic I volunteer at, and even my former academic advisor (I've been out of UG since 2007) kept encouraging me and told me NOT to pay any attention to what my co-workers said because 1. they don't want me to quit 2. probably jealous that I'll be making more $ than them in 4 years 3. will have an awesome job where I can make me own hours and ect. So, yes, surround yourself around positive people and those who bring you down, just pretend you're listening and take it with a grain of salt because when they end up in your chair with a chipped tooth, you can laugh in their face.

I've heard everything...but i always play it off with "I'm comfortable with it. It's a career I can see myself doing and being good at." Isn't that what it's all about in essence? So OP, keep your chin up. Laugh a little and don't respond to it. Let Karma kick them in the rear end :thumbup: (haha)

They kept annoying me about why I would want to "stick my hands in someone's mouth all day"

So, yes, surround yourself around positive people and those who bring you down, just pretend you're listening and take it with a grain of salt because when they end up in your chair with a chipped tooth, you can laugh in their face.

I know what you mean people say the same thing to me!
hahahah yeah I keep telling myself that, I can't wait! lol Thank you1!

I've heard everything...but i always play it off with "I'm comfortable with it. It's a career I can see myself doing and being good at." Isn't that what it's all about in essence? So OP, keep your chin up. Laugh a little and don't respond to it. Let Karma kick them in the rear end :thumbup: (haha)

:laugh: