Personal Statement Peer Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Othello

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've noticed a lot of people are having questions on their personal statement. I was hoping to start a peer review thread so people like myself, who go to schools where no one knows what podiatry is, have a nice personal statement to submit as well as those who just need another person to look over what they have written.

I guess if your interested, respond below. The applicants applying this cycle appreciate the help!

P.S- As I was typing in the title of the thread, it seems like MD, DO, and Dental applicants have similar threads in their forums. I guess it's never to late to start!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There was also limited knowledge about podiatry at my undergrad but I received GREAT advice from the pre-professional advisors. They are paid to read all sorts of PS's and they will give you an honest opinion. I would also suggest asking for help from podiatry students on SDN that are at the schools you are interested in.

There was also limited knowledge about podiatry at my undergrad but I received GREAT advice from the pre-professional advisors. They are paid to read all sorts of PS's and they will give you an honest opinion. I would also suggest asking for help from podiatry students on SDN that are at the schools you are interested in.

I go to a small school and the feedback I have gotten has not been helpful. But you're right, I should reach out to other students, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pm it to me and I'll give you feedback. Just cross out any personal identifiable info

Any one else' PS had a tone of, "please give me a chance and let me in"?

Still working on mine, and I feel as though that's what I sound like. Is that too desperate, or is that more like, "this student really wants to get in"? :D

I highlighted all low grades by semester and year. And pointed out how things have improved since then. That's followed by me asking the school(s) to overlook the past and give me a shot. Waiting for MCAT scores so I can mention that in the PS depending on how good it is

Still working on mine, and I feel as though that's what I sound like. Is that too desperate, or is that more like, "this student really wants to get in"? :D

I highlighted all low grades by semester and year. And pointed out how things have improved since then. That's followed by me asking the school(s) to overlook the past and give me a shot. Waiting for MCAT scores so I can mention that in the PS depending on how good it is
Hmm...not sure if you need to explicitly beg them to let you in. I think they'll get the point, you all want in.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

I agree with Bob. You don't need to talk about your low grades. The PS statement is time to talk about why you like podiatry.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Will do. Thanks, guys.
What I meant is mentioning that you've been through a rough patch and how you've matured from it is cool. I wouldn't give them a line item break down though and certainly wouldn't overtly beg to get in.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Also-- Please don't write about how working in a soup kitchen changed your outlook on humanity or how changing sheets in the hospital humbled you and made you a better person. They have read it all before. Be interesting and genuine and you'll be fine.

Also-- Please don't write about how working in a soup kitchen changed your outlook on humanity or how changing sheets in the hospital humbled you and made you a better person. They have read it all before. Be interesting and genuine and you'll be fine.
hahah definitely. Only thing I have is that I had a bone spur on my foot and it was a pod that took care of it and did the surgery.

Nothing too far out. Just that I have absolute trash grades so my last 30 credits is what I'm banking on to give me a life line. Just want to make it clear in the PS that the atrocious grades aren't due to not being able to handle science courses or anything. I was a screw up and didn't bother going to class or showing up for exams.

I was even considering asking to be accepted on probation, or something.
Basically, I'm super scared about my chances.

Thanks to you and Bob for the advice though. I'll try to calm down and just take a chance.

"I first considered podiatry, when I realized my wife had horrible feet. I felt compelled to change them as I was going to be stuck with her for quite some time."

Does that work?

Reactions: 3 users
"I first considered podiatry, when I realized my wife had horrible feet. I felt compelled to change them as I was going to be stuck with her for quite some time."

Does that work?
Honest and genuine. Checks out.

"I saw a banner ad for Scholl/Kent/DMU at the top of a thread on SDN and I was hooked. I knew I had disabled my AdBlock for a reason--and podiatric medicine was it."

Reactions: 4 users
I'm at 3200 characters and feel like I've gotten the main points, but still feel like maybe I didn't go into enough detail about some things and was too broad vs feeling like I need to extend it for the sake of extending it

Ugh, can't make up my mind :/

Anyone willing to take a look at it for some feedback? The PS is the only thing left before I submit my applications.

I'm at 3200 characters and feel like I've gotten the main points, but still feel like maybe I didn't go into enough detail about some things and was too broad vs feeling like I need to extend it for the sake of extending it

Anyone willing to take a look at it for some feedback? The PS is the only thing left before I submit my applications.
I'll take a look at it, Ifeel your pain homie. And my statement was about 3500 characters. I think it is better to touch on a topic and let them expand on it in an interview if they're interested.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll read (when I get the chance). Drop it in my inbox

I'll read it as well if anymore help is needed.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk