Pets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzed101

The Little Prince
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it risky to mention that you dislike either dogs or cats? One of my possible "challenge/obstacle" essay touches on this, and maybe the fact that I favor one over the other...

Will it rub readers the wrong way?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it risky to mention that you dislike either dogs or cats? One of my possible "challenge/obstacle" essay touches on this, and maybe the fact that I favor one over the other...

This is neurotic on a level epid enough for Gonnif's list I think

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My situation is that I live with both cats and dogs, and I kinda don't care for one group and wish that they be "gone." And then it just happens that my wish is close to being granted...

Unfortunately you're trolling but on the extremely off chance that you aren't, please do this and report back.

Please.

Reactions: 3 users
I am not trolling. Unfortunately, I cannot divulge more. Of course, the essay is not gonna be "hurr durr I don't like cats so I made stuffs to put in their food after researching cat's anatomy and physiology. The result is splendid so I think I can fix people up good too......"

And do what exactly?

This is a lukewarm microwave TV dinner quality troll post at best

Having to live with cats and dogs when you don't like one of them... this is the most notable challenge you have faced? :thinking:

Reactions: 7 users
I don't like spaghetti and yet my Italian parents cruelly forced me to eat it when I was a child. I overcame this challenge by learning how to scramble eggs.

In all seriousness, I would try to think of a slightly more convincing topic, OP.

Reactions: 1 users
My situation is that I live with both cats and dogs, and I kinda don't care for one group and wish that they be "gone." And then it just happens that my wish is close to being granted...

I thought this was going to be about the internal struggle of wanting to adopt a pet during medical school and instead am borderline worried someone should call the humane society.

Reactions: 6 users
People wonder why so many people get rejected from medical school....

Is it risky to mention that you dislike either dogs or cats? One of my possible "challenge/obstacle" essay touches on this, and maybe the fact that I favor one over the other..
This is neurotic on a level epid enough for Gonnif's list I think

We may have a winner. While the personal issue of having to be "forced" to live with both cats and dogs may have some deep emotional baggage and trauma, as for challenge and diversity essay in medical school, it would be a "YGTBK" just under WTF! It would take an extreme set of circumstances to place that issue in any kind of context to answer the question, much less impress an adcom.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I kinda don't care for one group and wish that they be "gone." And then it just happens that my wish is close to being granted...

Of course, the essay is not gonna be "hurr durr I don't like cats so I made stuffs to put in their food after researching cat's anatomy and physiology. The result is splendid so I think I can fix people up good too......"

1.) If you're trolling, you're not quite good at it.

2.) If you're not trolling, you should probably seek help.

Reactions: 2 users
Now that I am sober, you guys were right; it does look trollish :thinking:

Of course, the essay is not gonna be "hurr durr I don't like cats so I made stuffs to put in their food after researching cat's anatomy and physiology. The result is splendid so I think I can fix people up good too......"

Don't worry the story has a happy ending!

We may have a winner. While the personal issue of having to be "forced" to live with both cats and dogs may have some deep emotional baggage and trauma, as for challenge and diversity essay in medical school, it would be a "YGTBK" just under WTF! It would take an extreme set of circumstances to place that issue in any kind of context to answer the question, much less impress an adcom.

I am 95% sure that the essay is original and will impress you ;). It literally has nothing to do with your suggested theme. I just want to make sure not to offend pet lovers.

Also, did you mean that there is only one either challenge or diversity prompt but not both? I plan to use this pet business for the challenge/obstacle prompt (is the challenge prompt different from obstacle?) because I think it is more medical-school-baiting while using the one I am really excited to talk about for diversity.

I am 95% sure that the essay is original and will impress you ;). It literally has nothing to do with your suggested theme. I just want to make sure not to offend pet lovers.

Also, did you mean that there is only one either challenge or diversity prompt but not both? I plan to use this pet business for the challenge/obstacle prompt (is the challenge prompt different from obstacle?) because I think it is more medical-school-baiting while using the one I am really excited to talk about for diversity.
I'm very curious to read this essay so if you want someone to read it through for editing/opinions I volunteer as tribute

Reactions: 5 users
Cat lover here: So reject OP
Also allergic to stupidity and a lack of introspection , so OP has a second strike from me.

Luckily OP is applying to Medical School. So your harsh opinion is irrelevant here.

Luckily OP is applying to Medical School. So your harsh opinion is irrelevant here.
You do know that Goro is an adcom right? So his opinion is pretty relevant in terms of applying to medical school.

I would hardly call an opinion to reject someone who uses "overcoming living with a cat while not liking cats" as a topic for an essay as harsh. More like sane

"Cat lover here: So reject OP
Also allergic to stupidity and a lack of introspection , so OP has a second strike from me."

You do know that Goro is an adcom right? So his opinion is pretty relevant in terms of applying to medical school.

Need I say any more?
Reject OP because he doesn't like cats, and then call him stupid. Funny

Goro is an adcom for a DO program based on his posting history, luckily.

Also allergic to stupidity and a lack of introspection , so OP has a second strike from me."

Need I say any more?

Dare I ask, but have you ever heard of sarcasm? Ha

Need I say any more?

The point he is trying to make is that A.) writing an essay about a personal challenge on how you don't like cats is not only a waste of an opportunity to have the adcoms learn something good about you, but also very disappointing if this has been the biggest challenge the student has experienced. Does this student not challenge themselves in classes or ECs? or anything else? to the point where they have nothing better to write about? (OP states that this isn't the actual path they were planning to take so I'm reserving judgement) B.) By writing about how you don't like something for whatever reason, it's very easy to offend the people reading it. Adcoms are just looking for ways to throw out applicants and this would be a dumb way to get yourself tossed into the rejection pile.

I'm not saying his word is gospel but it is valuable and he's certainly not less of an adcom because he is on the committee for a DO

Dare I ask, but have you ever heard of sarcasm? Ha

The internet has an unperceived illusion of "anonymity" which Goro seems to prance around in. If someone were to take his words literally, attach them to the school he is an adcom at, and present a legal case, Goro's career is at risk.

In before the hurricane breaches land.

The point he is trying to make is that A.) writing an essay about a personal challenge on how you don't like cats is not only a waste of an opportunity to have the adcoms learn something good about you, but also very disappointing if this has been the biggest challenge the student has experienced. Does this student not challenge themselves in classes or ECs? or anything else? to the point where they have nothing better to write about? (OP states that this isn't the actual path they were planning to take so I'm reserving judgement) B.) By writing about how you don't like something for whatever reason, it's very easy to offend the people reading it. Adcoms are just looking for ways to throw out applicants and this would be a dumb way to get yourself tossed into the rejection pile.

I'm not saying his word is gospel but it is valuable and he's certainly not less of an adcom because he is on the committee for a DO

Based on what OP said "I am not trolling. Unfortunately, I cannot divulge more. Of course, the essay is not gonna be "hurr durr I don't like cats so I made stuffs to put in their food after researching cat's anatomy and physiology. The result is splendid so I think I can fix people up good too......" his personal statement will not just be about not liking cats "hurr durr". I read application essays all the time and this seems like something much more interesting to read about than someone who volunteered at a clinic, or had someone in their family suffer an illness, etc. and undergo this caterpillar-butterfly transformation on how they want to become a doctor. The personal statement is designed to grab the Adcom's attention. In MD schools actual creativity is appreciated.

Adcoms are for the most part, agreeably, stupid, and make dumb decisions regarding applications. That is largely due to the fact they have no actual experience of being a physician or what it takes. Many of them are faculty who are only able to assess how a student is going to perform in their first two years of medical school.

Goro's opinion is irrelevant because he doesn't bring anything productive to the table besides sarcasm and harsh opinions. I am not a psychiatrist, but all medical schools know who he is and what school he is employed by. He is an individual who struggles with power issues and consistently feels the need to redeem himself by crushing premeds on here.

Based on what OP said "I am not trolling. Unfortunately, I cannot divulge more. Of course, the essay is not gonna be "hurr durr I don't like cats so I made stuffs to put in their food after researching cat's anatomy and physiology. The result is splendid so I think I can fix people up good too......" his personal statement will not just be about not liking cats "hurr durr". I read application essays all the time and this seems like something much more interesting to read about than someone who volunteered at a clinic, or had someone in their family suffer an illness, etc. and undergo this caterpillar-butterfly transformation on how they want to become a doctor. The personal statement is designed to grab the Adcom's attention. In MD schools actual creativity is appreciated.

Adcoms are for the most part, agreeably, stupid, and make dumb decisions regarding applications. That is largely due to the fact they have no actual experience of being a physician or what it takes. Many of them are faculty who are only able to assess how a student is going to perform in their first two years of medical school.

Goro's opinion is irrelevant because he doesn't bring anything productive to the table besides sarcasm and harsh opinions. I am not a psychiatrist, but all medical schools know who he is and what school he is employed by. He is an individual who struggles with power issues and consistently feels the need to redeem himself by crushing premeds on here.
I respectfully disagree. I think we've all found Goro's bluntness painfully helpful at times. SDN allows pre-meds to ask for unfiltered advice from people who are farther along in the process than we are, AdComs, and physicians. It's easier on everyone concerned if the SDN advisors don't dance around the truth. The truth is that writing a challenge essay about living with cats while not liking them just doesn't sound very convincing. Granted, there's probably more to the story, but given the crazy troll posts/questions that SDN has seen in the past, what are we supposed to think? I'd be interested in reading the finished essay.

If you have a concise, coherent, and compelling story that happens to mention disliking dog or cat, I doubt it will offend an adcom.
As for Challenge/Obstacle and Diversity prompt, some schools have both, some only one or the other. Diversity here can also be uniqueness or what skill, characteristics, knowledge, experiences, etc that may add to the richness of the class and to you being a physician

So we're an expert in law now?

A lack of introspection will be lethal to med school applicants, whether MD or DO. Adcom members looking at the OP will simply think "that's the best you can do?" This is the most challenging thing you've ever faced"????

And into the trash the app goes.

The cat lover thing was sarcasm. The electrons must have been too dense for you to perceive this. My apologies.

sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More

Now, if someone had to live with cats and deal with severe allergies at the same time, THAT would be good fodder for the essay.

The internet has an unperceived illusion of "anonymity" which Goro seems to prance around in. If someone were to take his words literally, attach them to the school he is an adcom at, and present a legal case, Goro's career is at risk.

So we're an expert in law now?

A lack of introspection will be lethal to med school applicants. Adcom members looking at the OP will simply think "that's the best you can do?" This is the most challenging thing you've ever faced"????

And into the trash the app goes.

The cat lover thing was sarcasm. The electrons must have been too dense for you to perceive this. My apologies.

sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More

If you want to test out the law keep up the "sarcasm" Goro, federal funding, and claims to mess with the education/admission process is a risky activity .
YOUR Adcom members will look at it this way. Individuals who Adcom for actual medical schools will see this differently.
Electrons, density, and perception, and you think they are all relevant, can you please pass on the link to apply as an adcom at your school, I think some of the patients at the psych ward at my hospital may be interested in applying.

"Joined today" with 12 (mostly inflammatory) posts, immediately attacks Goro. Sorry troll, slapping an "attending physician" status on your account doesn't make you have any more credibility.

Reactions: 5 users
"Joined today" with 12 posts, immediately attacks Goro. Sorry troll, slapping an "attending physician" status on your account doesn't make you have any more credibility.
Thank you for this. I thought I was going crazy.

"Joined today" with 12 (mostly inflammatory) posts, immediately attacks Goro. Sorry troll, slapping an "attending physician" status on your account doesn't make you have any more credibility.

Credibility by a user's opinion on SDN isn't a factor considered in my monthly bank statement. So it doesn't matter much to me what you believe. I still have my job, and my salary, and my credentials.
On the other hand, Goro does not.

Swing the ban-hammer, like, right now.

Adcoms are for the most part, agreeably, stupid, and make dumb decisions regarding applications. That is largely due to the fact they have no actual experience of being a physician or what it takes. Many of them are faculty who are only able to assess how a student is going to perform in their first two years of medical school..

Based on that comment we can project that apparently you were one of those decisions. And unlike most posters on here, I am not anonymous and you can easily find out exactly who I am

Who is actually giving this guy the time of day? Seems like someone broke out of a psychiatric ward with a delusion of grandeur and found access to a medical forum. Oh by the way, I make 600k a second, own a 23 story mansion filled with VS models (I could've built a 100 story one, but Jordan) and wipe my @$$ with Benjamins. I used to use McKinleys but there are too many poor people so it was discontinued.

You can't dispute anything I've written, YOU DON'T KNOW ME LIKE THAT!
giphy (1).gif

So much salt from so many high power professionals on a forum where no one can prove anything. I swear sometimes this forum is just one long big dick contest.

If you want to test out the law keep up the "sarcasm" Goro, federal funding, and claims to mess with the education/admission process is a risky activity .
YOUR Adcom members will look at it this way. Individuals who Adcom for actual medical schools will see this differently.
Electrons, density, and perception, and you think they are all relevant, can you please pass on the link to apply as an adcom at your school, I think some of the patients at the psych ward at my hospital may be interested in applying.
I gotta say one of the things that bugs me the most about your comments is how you seem determined to bash DO schools. Also there are plenty of other ways to be creative but until OP gives details on how they are planning on using their opinion on dogs/cats, you have no idea if it is creative or just a misstep that could cost them. I would rather have scarcastic and even mean responses from an adcom if it means that i'm getting an honest response. His opinion of the topic seems like a reasonable opinion that most adcoms would have and your opinion seems like much more of a gamble. All in all, there are much better, character-building and interesting things OP could write about.
Also what I find interesting is that you are much more upset by Goro's response than even OP was or any other user that commented for that matter. If there is a chance that even one adcom would be put off by my essay for whatever reason, I would want to know because that would hurt my chances at one school and that could make or break some people. Although sometimes harsh, his responses are useful because they are honest. He doesn't sugarcoat and tell hopeful premeds what they want to hear but what they need to hear.

Based on that comment we can project that apparently you were one of those decisions. And unlike most posters on here, I am not anonymous and you can easily find out exactly who I am

Yes but you're retired for a good reason. Typically when seeing geriatrics patients, they have a tendency to be senile. Which is why your advice TRULY doesnt validate any credibility.

I gotta say one of the things that bugs me the most about your comments is how you seem determined to bash DO schools. Also there are plenty of other ways to be creative but until OP gives details on how they are planning on using their opinion on dogs/cats, you have no idea if it is creative or just a misstep that could cost them. I would rather have scarcastic and even mean responses from an adcom if it means that i'm getting an honest response. His opinion of the topic seems like a reasonable opinion that most adcoms would have and your opinion seems like much more of a gamble. All in all, there are much better, character-building and interesting things OP could write about.
Also what I find interesting is that you are much more upset by Goro's response than even OP was or any other user that commented for that matter. If there is a chance that even one adcom would be put off by my essay for whatever reason, I would want to know because that would hurt my chances at one school and that could make or break some people. Although sometimes harsh, his responses are useful because they are honest. He doesn't sugarcoat and tell hopeful premeds what they want to hear but what they need to hear.

Why even attempt to respond?

:troll:

Who is actually giving this guy the time of day? Seems like someone broke out of a psychiatric ward with a delusion of grandeur and found access to a medical forum. Oh by the way, I make 600k a second, own a 23 story mansion filled with VS models (I could've built a 100 story one, but Jordan) and wipe my @$$ with Benjamins. I used to use McKinleys but there are too many poor people so it was discontinued.

You can't dispute anything I've written, YOU DON'T KNOW ME LIKE THAT!
View attachment 207360

I understand math isn't a big component of medical school, but here's how much you make in an hour, 216000000000, do you attend a DO school as well?

So much salt from so many high power professionals on a forum where no one can prove anything. I swear sometimes this forum is just one long big dick contest.

Eh, I'd go with short and small. They need to compensate somewhere, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.