PGY-1: Fear and Loathing in the Scramble

Started by N2b8
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

N2b8

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've locked down my anesthesia ROL, but now I'm sweating what to do about my intern year. My options are 1) rank a brutal prelim surgery and questionable transitional year, both in less-than-stellar locations or 2) scramble for prelim medicine.

Issues I'm considering:

1) I have a VERY good shot at the prelim surgery spot
2) I think prelim medicine would be a wiser yet gentler use of my time
3) I'm an FMG

Any words of wisdom out there? I'm scared, and know that many of you on this board have some great info and valuable insight. Help!
 
rank the transitional program. then the surgical programs.

you do not want to have to scramble. you will likely only get a prelim surgery spot if you do. scrambling blows. even for a prelim spot - maybe even especially for a prelim spot. have all your loose ends tied up come match day.
 
N2b8 said:
I've locked down my anesthesia ROL, but now I'm sweating what to do about my intern year. My options are 1) rank a brutal prelim surgery and questionable transitional year, both in less-than-stellar locations or 2) scramble for prelim medicine.

Issues I'm considering:

1) I have a VERY good shot at the prelim surgery spot
2) I think prelim medicine would be a wiser yet gentler use of my time
3) I'm an FMG

Any words of wisdom out there? I'm scared, and know that many of you on this board have some great info and valuable insight. Help!


Medicine prelim all the way.