Pharmacy Experience Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I volunteered in high school at the hospital. I think that is the easiest route to get in...just say that you are a student interested in pharmacy and that you are wanting to shadow and help around in the pharmacy dept. They should be accommodating. That is what I did and now I work at the same hospital pharmacy as a tech, earning more than my retail peers.

Members don't see this ad.

if i wanted to do voluntary work for pharmacy, do i need any experience or knowledge? and where are some good places i can volunteer or work for?

hmm i was wondering how long ddo you have to volunteer to consider having experience? 1 year, 2 year ?

i think it'll be better to work because you get paid for it also :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What was the PTCE test like? I am scheduled to take it next month.

Oh snap, I didn't see your question last month! Sorry!! I dont know if you read my blogs, but I posted up some info on what is going to be on the test a while ago.

Anyways, I am sure you probably took the test by now, so how did you do on it?

I would consider looking into both. I currently work at a community pharmacy, but last year I volunteered with a non-profit clinic that has a pharmacy. It was a wonderful experience. Additionally, the non-profit clinics are normally understaffed and really need volunteers.

i have no certificate for pharm tech and i am just the freshmen at a community college,,it s so hard for me to find a jobs.are there anywhere can train me and let me work as pharm tech,or voluteers as well.

i have no certificate for pharm tech and i am just the freshmen at a community college,,it s so hard for me to find a jobs.are there anywhere can train me and let me work as pharm tech,or voluteers as well.

All you can do now is wait. I am certified and can't get a job either. Hell, my own mother can't find a better job. The economy stinks and will be back in shape in a couple months after Barack becomes our next president in January...

how will it affect the application if we have under 30 hours of pharmacy shadowing experience?

is it too late to apply in january after taking the pcat?

It generally depends on how well your other traits stand out. Some schools recommend it so that you have a feel for a pharmacy not only for their benefit, but for yours as well. You don't wanna be a year into pharm school and then find yourself hating it after your first internship/job as a pharm tech. I have friends who have had 0 hours in a pharmacy but get in due to leadership roles, research, amongst other things. If you can get more hours, go for it, if not don't stress too much over it. Either apply somewhere else or just build yourself on another part of the application.

I agree. Most schools don't even require any pharm experience, so even a little is good. Being able to talk about what you learned from it is more important.

For applications, it depends on the schools you want to apply to. I think most schools have deadlines in jan/feb, but some have already passed and some accept applications into March. Be careful because not all schools will accept the Jan PCAT.

I'm wondering how much a lot of experience working in a pharmacy will have on getting into a Pharm.D program. Essentially, if you spend significant time working as a technician or interning or volunteering in a pharmacy, will that have a significant impact on your application status?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering how much a lot of experience working in a pharmacy will have on getting into a Pharm.D program. Essentially, if you spend significant time working as a technician or interning or volunteering in a pharmacy, will that have a significant impact on your application status?

I'd say that is a hard one to answer unless you're a P1 student or so that has participated in interviews. I would assume SOME experience more than 40 hours would be beneficial. I had an internship 40 hours a week for 12 weeks at a pharmaceutical company and my p2 student helping conduct the interview wished he'd had that experience so I would assume the more time in experience the better

I did not have any pharmacy tech experience when I applied to the schools that I did and got accepted. However, what I did have was clinical experience doing research with a clinical pharmacist along with many shadowing hours. In the overall scheme of things, I can say that it depends on the person. They want to know that you know what you are getting yourself into. ;)

I think it depends a lot on the school. My school (Mercer) has in the last couple of years had classes in which 80% or better of the entering class had some sort of pharmacy experience. I've not been involved in interviewing or admissions, but that number tells me that they think prior experience is important. Other schools may not so much.

I think it depends a lot on the school. My school (Mercer) has in the last couple of years had classes in which 80% or better of the entering class had some sort of pharmacy experience. I've not been involved in interviewing or admissions, but that number tells me that they think prior experience is important. Other schools may not so much.

Granted, I know for a fact that I am the minority for the school that I got accepted to with no practical community pharmacy experience.

I agree it depends on the person. My friend got accepted with absolutely no pharmacy experience whatsoever. Granted it depends on the school and the person, etc. but still... REGARDLESS I'd hope people wanted some experience under their belt not just to make your app look good but like someone above said, to adapt you to the environment/know what you're getting into.

They want to know that you know what you are getting yourself into. ;)

That was an excellent reason. But may I add that it becomes somewhat, a requirement for some of us with the 2.x GPA (at least, 2.5), backed up with a fairly/highly competitive PCAT score(for the sake of the PCAT schools). That way, your GPA wouldn't have much weight against you.

Otherwise, if your academic status is "rocket high", you have quite a clean shot of making it into a pharm. school with 0 hours of experience.

That's just my own postulation:)

I agree that it depends on the school, but the experience can really only help you. I feel that schools are starting to want applicants who do have experience so they aren't graduating people that find out they hate the field. My university actually requires experience of applicants.

I haven't been able to get any pharmacy experience but hopefully my GPA and PCAT will pull me through. :scared:

I haven't been able to get any pharmacy experience but hopefully my GPA and PCAT will pull me through. :scared:

I'd feel a lot more comfortable going into an interview with a high PCAT and high GPA than with a low PCAT and low GPA and a ton of pharmacy experience, but that's just my personal opinion. Having experience really helps with questions like, "Why did you choose pharmacy?" As long as you can come up with some good reasons, and have dug around for some understanding of the field, I'd say you're good to go.

I did not have any pharmacy tech experience when I applied to the schools that I did and got accepted. However, what I did have was clinical experience doing research with a clinical pharmacist along with many shadowing hours. In the overall scheme of things, I can say that it depends on the person. They want to know that you know what you are getting yourself into. ;)

I agree. Congratz on LECOM-E acceptance, I'll see you there.

Pharmacy experience helps for those who do not have the 4.0/99 PCAT stats. If you're a 2.5-3.0/80, you're an applicant that likely will need the experience to push you over the top. I myself was a 2.6/91/8+ years experience candidate. If you're weak in one area, be strong in all the others. :)

I have a question regarding getting some pharmacy experience. I graduated with a BS in biochem in May 08. I currently work for at a pharmaceutical CRO as an analyst (more of a science position than pharmacy). I need to take a couple more classes (econ and calc II) to finish up my pre-reqs. However, I still need some shadowing experience, but cannot quit my full time job I currently have. I work Mon-Fri 9-5. Any ideas?

I have a question regarding getting some pharmacy experience. I graduated with a BS in biochem in May 08. I currently work for at a pharmaceutical CRO as an analyst (more of a science position than pharmacy). I need to take a couple more classes (econ and calc II) to finish up my pre-reqs. However, I still need some shadowing experience, but cannot quit my full time job I currently have. I work Mon-Fri 9-5. Any ideas?

you can see if the pharmacist allows you to shadow him/her on the weekend.

how can I shadow a Pharmacist, do I just go directly to walgreens and go speak to a Pharmacist or would it be best to call in and ask to shadow a Pharmacist?

Last edited:
You should buy something at the pharmacy at a time when the pharmacist is not busy and then ask him/her then. You could also ask your pre-health advisor if there is a shadowing program at your school. Best of Luck

Firstly, I don't think that calc II is a prerequisite for pharmacy. With that being said, you can always volunteer at the a hospital and given time ask to shadow a pharmacist there. Or, you can go with what someone else said and jump a pharmacist at your local walgreens.

;) Go get them.

For some schools, they ask for calc II and some will allow you to waive certain classes (such as Calc II) if you already have your bachelor's degree.

The problem that I've encountered while attempting to shadow a professional is that you're neither an employee or a volunteer -- meaning, you're just a liability waiting to happen to them. I don't know how many times I've been denied an opportunity even though I said I would sign a waiver form. Your best bet is to volunteer at a hospital but that can also be difficult task since volunteering at the hospital pharmacy is in such high demand.

So then..what's the solution? To the almost required experience but almost impossibility in finding it? Isn't pharmacy admissions supposed to be fair game, not cut off to those who only have connections?

So then..what's the solution? To the almost required experience but almost impossibility in finding it? Isn't pharmacy admissions supposed to be fair game, not cut off to those who only have connections?

Let me say that I did not have any practical pharmacy experience and all the schools that I interviewed at gave me an acceptance. So it is possible to get into pharmacy with the pharmacy tech experience.

So don't despair, make yourself a better applicant by doing other volunteer activites that may or maynot be related to pharmacy. Also, the first step to volunteering a hospital pharmacy is to volunteer at another unit or the ER. As you build up relationships, especially that of a nursing supervisor or doctor, along comes the recommendation and the doors shall open. If you ask for volunteering at the pharmacy directly... you probably aren't going to get it.

I think it also depends on your location. I mean I just asked the question since it seemed like the logical thing to ask after the not so happy encouraging on this thread. But when I was in one of those midwestern states over the holidays with my family, all I did was simply call up one of the local hospitals and without saying my name or what school I go to or if I was even an undergrad, I called up the pharm dept and said I was interested in pharmacy and asked if I could volunteer and the pharmacist was more than happy. Lol. I doubt I'd get such a positive response in my home state, unless I was in a super unpopulated area. So if you happen to have relatives in an unpopulated area, maybe you could get some hrs that way over the holiday. I also read in the other thread that saying you want to go to pharmacy school at the retail shops may also open a few doors, who knows. PharMed gives good advice too.

Keep in mind, pharmacy schools look for CONTINUOUS volunteer/community service. It's great to take part in an event that only happens once a year, but if you put in a few hours every week or so, that looks great. I put in four hours a week between ochem lecture and lab and I think that helped me out quite a bit.

Hi everyone,

Is it okay to only have pharmacy related experience as a volunteer? Or should I also try to get experience working as a pharm tech? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

I am currently volunteering in a VA hospital. Do you think I should continue doing this? Or should I apply for a pharm tech job? Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Is it okay to only have pharmacy related experience as a volunteer? Or should I also try to get experience working as a pharm tech? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

There's plenty in my P1 class without any pharmacy experience. I only had volunteer experience when I applied and I was accepted at both places I applied to.

Good luck.

Volunteering is a definite plus on applications so keep on! And if you can get your certification as a pharm tech that would be a bigger plus!:D

Which VA do you volunteer at? I worked at one over the summer.

Go for it. I've been volunteering at a hospital pharmacy for over a year, and it's great experience and allows you to go into the interview with a better understanding of the profession.

Getting your tech license is good too, or you could shadow a couple of pharmacists in your area. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

Last edited:
Volunteering is a definite plus on applications so keep on! And if you can get your certification as a pharm tech that would be a bigger plus!:D

Which VA do you volunteer at? I worked at one over the summer.

Thanks for the comment. I volunteer at the VA in Long Beach, CA. Where did you work at? Did you do outpatient, inpatient, or both? I have a pharm tech certification. I am not sure if I can work as a pharm tech and take 15 units of coursework at the same time. Unless they allow me to work like 10 hours a week, but I doubt they would.

There's plenty in my P1 class without any pharmacy experience. I only had volunteer experience when I applied and I was accepted at both places I applied to.

Good luck.

Thank you for the comment. I feel much better after hearing this. How many hours of volunteering experience did you have, if you dont mind telling me?

Thanks for the comment. I volunteer at the VA in Long Beach, CA. Where did you work at? Did you do outpatient, inpatient, or both? I have a pharm tech certification. I am not sure if I can work as a pharm tech and take 15 units of coursework at the same time. Unless they allow me to work like 10 hours a week, but I doubt they would.

Oh I worked at the one up north in Martinez and did their summer student position and they let me work both inpatient and outpatient. =) If they offer it at Long Beach VA, you should mos def apply and try to get into their pharmacy sector if you arent doing pharm tech work yet.

Go for it. I've been volunteering at a hospital pharmacy for over a year, and it's great experience and allows you to go into the interview with a better understanding of the profession.

Getting your tech license is good too, or you could shadow a couple of pharmacists in your area. Good luck!

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I got my tech license recently. I will take your advice and try to ask a pharmacist to shadow. When shadowing, do we just watch what the pharmacist does daily or does the pharmacist supervise us to perform certain tasks?

By the way, is there a difference between a tech certification and a tech license? I know I have a certification since I already passed the PTCB exam. If there is a difference, then what do I need to do now in order to get my license? Thank you.

I volunteered in a pharmacy for a year, never worked for one, and got plenty of interest from schools. Don't think in terms of volunteer vs. work; think in terms of exposure.

depends on how much experience you have. volunteer work is fine. a lot of pharm schools would love to accept someone more interested in hospital pharm rather than retail. variety is aprpeciated, so dont sweat it.

How would I go about volunteering, I have my pharm tech license but can't find a job so I want to volunteer? Do I just walk in into the hospital and ask the front desk, if not who do I talk to? Do hospitals usually take volunteers or should I go to like Walgreens or smaller family clinics with a pharmacy? If I went to Walgreens or a small clinic, whom to I talk to, the pharmacist or the pharmacist manager or the store manager??? I've never done this before so I'm looking for some direction. Oh and are there any special forms I must provide or sign since there's patient confidentiality involved or what have you? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How would I go about volunteering, I have my pharm tech license but can't find a job so I want to volunteer? Do I just walk in into the hospital and ask the front desk, if not who do I talk to? Do hospitals usually take volunteers or should I go to like Walgreens or smaller family clinics with a pharmacy? If I went to Walgreens or a small clinic, whom to I talk to, the pharmacist or the pharmacist manager or the store manager??? I've never done this before so I'm looking for some direction. Oh and are there any special forms I must provide or sign since there's patient confidentiality involved or what have you? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

What I would do is volunteer at a hospital, get to know some people... then ask for a job. You wouldn't believe how much easier to get a job when people know of you and you have recommendations from the charge nurse. **I was offered a pharmacy tech job @ hospital ~ turned it down because I was involved in research. :cool: