Pharmacy Experience Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't get discouraged with just a few rejections. Try Wal-mart pharmacy, Kroger's, K-mart, Sams Club. Grocery stores do not require certification until you've worked there for a considerable amount of time. Also, go directly to the hospital's pharmacy and tell them you'd like to shadow a pharmacist a couple of hours a week just to get a feel for it. More often then not they'll take you in.

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to get a position as a pharmacy technician for a long time and nothing worked out. Finally, I went to a local independent pharmacy and they were more than happy to let me shadow. I started to develop a good relationships with the owners and staff and I was then hired as a pharmacy technician. Ive been there ever since. Most independent pharmacies will be happy to let you shadow and put in some free labor. The key is to make use of that time there and show your worth for a potential job!

I needed nothing to volunteer at the hospital pharmacy. Apply early! Tell the volunteer office you want to volunteer elsewhere while "waitlisted" for the pharmacy, and make sure you check by every month or so to see if anything opened up. That's how I did it.

All volunteers needed a pharmacy technician license in Illinois. If you know any doctors who work in hospitals, they might be able to give you some names of clinical pharmacists...even if you cannot shadow, meeting up with them and asking about their job would be useful, namely if you have not been exposed to clinical pharmacy before.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, this is good to know. Man I wasted 2 months for nothing.

I needed nothing to volunteer at the hospital pharmacy. Apply early! Tell the volunteer office you want to volunteer elsewhere while "waitlisted" for the pharmacy, and make sure you check by every month or so to see if anything opened up. That's how I did it.

If your from Illinois, my independent pharmacy has an open door to volunteers. Generally volunteers come on days that I work cause I have a lot of experience in counseling and helping fellow students with their professional goals. Let me know if you are interested. I work in Winnetka.

Have you only called these places or have you actually went to the places to ask? I went to 2 places, one private and one chain. With the chain pharmacy I went on the day I knew the Pharmacy Manager would be there, I asked him if that particular place allowed shadowing or did I have to be an employee. They don't allow shadowing but he told me to fill out an application. The next day I took the drug test. They said they hope to start training me next week.

Have you only called these places or have you actually went to the places to ask? I went to 2 places, one private and one chain. With the chain pharmacy I went on the day I knew the Pharmacy Manager would be there, I asked him if that particular place allowed shadowing or did I have to be an employee. They don't allow shadowing but he told me to fill out an application. The next day I took the drug test. They said they hope to start training me next week.

Thats an awesome scenario. I looked for a job at retail pharmacies for the longest time and came up short. I ended up networking and met my current employer. I currently work for an independent pharmacy, which is the greatest experience Ive ever had.

Thats an awesome scenario. I looked for a job at retail pharmacies for the longest time and came up short. I ended up networking and met my current employer. I currently work for an independent pharmacy, which is the greatest experience Ive ever had.

Thanks, I'm excited to start working there since I have no experience at all.

I used to work at Rite Aid, and I got my job fairly easily. I called the pharmacy and spoke to the head pharmacist. They happened to need another person, and after the usual interviews and applications, I was hired. I had zero experience and no license. Rite Aid did on the job training and didn't require a license. But after 6 months, I had to take the test to keep being considered a tech.

Personally, at my pharmacy, hiring techs was fairly basic. People would come in with filled out applications or having applied online, but honestly we never looked at those things unless we actually needed someone. We would accept the applications, but when it actually came time to hiring it was whoever happened to come in at the opportune moment (i.e. we were looking for someone).

So my advice is to pick out pharmacies that you would like to work at and just ask about openings or if they'll forsee some in the future. Many techs are young, and some are college students, so if you're staying in the area, once school comes around and they have to leave, you'll be able to take their spots.

Anyone here from WA state? I contacted a few local pharmacies
and hospitals in King county and Snohomish county about volunteering but no luck so far.

So I know it's important to have the experience in a pharmacy but I currently work for a large health insurance company in their Pharmacy Review. As I know you're all aware of what a prior authorization is I'll spare details but do you think working in this setting for several years would qualify as pharmacy experience or should I try to get a tech job. I was thinking that this combined with some shadowing would be sufficient.

So I know it's important to have the experience in a pharmacy but I currently work for a large health insurance company in their Pharmacy Review. As I know you're all aware of what a prior authorization is I'll spare details but do you think working in this setting for several years would qualify as pharmacy experience or should I try to get a tech job. I was thinking that this combined with some shadowing would be sufficient.

I would say that it looks better to adcoms when you "get your hands dirty" in pharmacy so to speak. Seems like you need to get some experience in a pharmacy whether it be in a community or hospital setting. I will say that your experience at the health insurance company will set you apart from other applicants which will be a good thing. But I still think you should get experience inside a pharmacy in addition to your present occupation.

I have zero pharmacy tech experience. I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for several years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks alot, I figured they would like some hands on training as well but how much exactly? Would 20 hours of shadowing be sufficient? should I go part time for a year and work weekends there? I am applying to the University of Cincinnati if that helps any. If anyone knows what amount of experience the recruiters there are looking for this really is something I would like to prepare for now as I start my last year of pre-reqs.

Working in a Pharmacy atmosphere is considered pharmaceutical experience.

Hi,

I have solid basic stats (3.98 gpa and 95% PCAT comp), but I have no experience in pharmacy and I haven't done any shadowing. The only semi-relevant experience I have is two years of research in a biology lab. I will also complete my biology major shortly along with biochem and psych minors. Are my stats good enough to make up for the lack of pharmacy experience? Or do I need to try to get some shadowing in at the last minute before I submit my application?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I apologize. Just noticed the WAMC sticky.

Hi,

I have solid basic stats (3.98 gpa and 95% PCAT comp), but I have no experience in pharmacy and I haven't done any shadowing. The only semi-relevant experience I have is two years of research in a biology lab. I will also complete my biology major shortly along with biochem and psych minors. Are my stats good enough to make up for the lack of pharmacy experience? Or do I need to try to get some shadowing in at the last minute before I submit my application?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I apologize. Just noticed the WAMC sticky.

People get accepted without experience. I think your stats are good enough to get an interview. Just be able to explain why you want to be a pharmacist. It's easier to do so with experience because you have actually seen some of what pharmacists do.

It might be helpful to submit now and get some experience before the interview, and talk about that experience in your interview. I don't think your chances of getting an interview will be affected (positively or negatively) by doing some 4 hour shadowing last minute.

I also got accepted without any experience, but from shadowing a preceptor who was working with few interns at my school, and also few other pharmacists, I learned a lot and I was able to talk about all or most of it during my interview.

During my interview, I talked about things like drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, drug-ethanol interactions, rejected insurance claims, limited number of prescriptions covered by an insurance plan, etc.

I read the FAQs and it gave some great info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1700926&postcount=3

But what do you guys suggest I say to the pharmacy manager when inquiring about a job? I was thinking something like this:

"Hey, Im a Pre-Pharmacy major and I was calling to see if you were hiring at the moment."

Is this too simple? Also, do you guys think ill have a problem getting a job if my only work experience is working for my parents small business? How did you guys get your jobs in a pharmacy?

Thanks again

I did that basically...walked into every local pharmacy during normal hours (9-5), asked to speak to the manager. "Hi I was wondering if you guys were looking for clerks/techs?"

They know clerk/tech (students) turnover is high, so no need to BS about being around for a while. We usually told people to go fill out an online app...nice way to get people out of your hair who you KNEW were kind of slow/dumb/shady.

Fill out the online app, check in with the store so they know to keep an eye out, and keep looking for stores. You'll find a store with a clerk/tech leaving soon enough. Try looking august/september when school starts and a) interns are going back to school, b) interns are getting licensed and hired away, c) clerks/techs matriculate into school, d) fall/winter is on the horizon.

I got hired in August, my replacement was hired in....august.

honestly, best way is via a hook up.

I read the FAQs and it gave some great info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1700926&postcount=3

But what do you guys suggest I say to the pharmacy manager when inquiring about a job? I was thinking something like this:

"Hey, Im a Pre-Pharmacy major and I was calling to see if you were hiring at the moment."

Is this too simple? Also, do you guys think ill have a problem getting a job if my only work experience is working for my parents small business? How did you guys get your jobs in a pharmacy?

Thanks again

Calling on the phone is MUCH less effective, I have found. Walk in and ask to talk directly to the pharmacy manager.

Ok now how should i dress...is a button down shirt and blue jeans good enough?

Dress one step down from a job interview, IMO. You want to look nice, but you don't want to look like you're trying too hard. Kind of like dating... Need to seem interested, but too interested and you're desperate.

I agree about not calling. The only time I'd call would be the first time to assess when a good time to come in would be, especially important if you're approaching independent pharmacies.

yea dude im definetly not gonna wear a blazer or anything, Ill probably just go w/ the blue jean/button down shirt combo....I guess, lol.

yeah we'd get a kick when someone came in all professionally dressed and didn't have an interview set...

guy: khakis, polo (not tucked in), black shoes is enough.
girls: i dunno what y'all wear, just make sure it looks good

If you can't get hired for a job, try volunteering at a hospital.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend this, you may not get the same results. I went in dressed for my other job which is jeans and a shirt with my job's logo on it. I had asked the weekend before if they were hiring and they told me when the pharmacy manager would be there. In jeans and a t-shirt I told him I'm in school for pre-pharmacy and asked if they allowed shadowing (since some places legally can't) or if they were hiring. He told me to fill out an application and took my number and some avail times. The next day I took the drug test. Now I have 2 jobs :D (part-time pharm tech, part-time other job w/ health benefits)

If all else fails, some people get in without experience, but you better do your research and make sure people know you didn't just walk in off the streets and decide "pharmacy sounded good".

Here's my situation: I'm applying to pharmacy school this coming fall and I would really like to get some shadowing or volunteer experience. I've been told by an actual pharmacist (who I wanted to shadow) that if you don't have a technicians' license in Texas, most pharmacies won't even let you behind the counter. So I'm considering getting a tech license to help me find a shadowing or volunteer opportunity, but not actually working as a technician (I have a great job as a research technician in a lab that I want to keep up until I go to pharmacy school)

I have a few questions, if anyone can help:

1) Do you think becoming Tech Certified would actually help my chances of finding a shadowing opportunity?

2) How does it look to pharmacy schools if you become Tech Certified but then don't haven any technician experience. Do you think they would see that as a positive or negative? Or would they be confused by it?

3) Do you think my job as a research technician for 3 years will help make up for the fact that I have little to no pharmacy experience? Should I even be this worried about getting shadowing experience?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Here's my situation: I'm applying to pharmacy school this coming fall and I would really like to get some shadowing or volunteer experience. I've been told by an actual pharmacist (who I wanted to shadow) that if you don't have a technicians' license in Texas, most pharmacies won't even let you behind the counter. So I'm considering getting a tech license to help me find a shadowing or volunteer opportunity, but not actually working as a technician (I have a great job as a research technician in a lab that I want to keep up until I go to pharmacy school)

I have a few questions, if anyone can help:

1) Do you think becoming Tech Certified would actually help my chances of finding a shadowing opportunity?

2) How does it look to pharmacy schools if you become Tech Certified but then don't haven any technician experience. Do you think they would see that as a positive or negative? Or would they be confused by it?

3) Do you think my job as a research technician for 3 years will help make up for the fact that I have little to no pharmacy experience? Should I even be this worried about getting shadowing experience?

Thank you for your help.

I assume you are from Texas.

Pharmacy technician trainee registration is enough to work as a pharmacy technician if you haven't previously held a pharmacy technician trainee certification. You don't need to be PTCB certified to become a pharmacy technician trainee.

Go to http://www.tsbp.state.tx.us/techtrainee.htm and fill out the application for the tech trainee registration and the fingerprinting. Pick the earliest possible date for the fingerprinting. If you have no criminal background problems, you should be fine. It'll probably take about a month (that's how long it took for me). Registration fees come to around $100 altogether though.

I guess shadowing a pharmacist would basically mean doing technician work. You wouldn't exactly be allowed to listen in when the pharmacist counsels patients; it's against the law.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a volunteer position in a hospital pharmacy. Try asking volunteer directors at your nearest hospital. Neither CVS nor Walgreens would allow me to volunteer because "they didn't do that sort of thing"; I assume the pharmacist you know has a private pharmacy.

Ok, my question is simple. Are pharmacy schools really looking for people who have experience in the pharmacy vs. people with very good EC's and good grades in all their chemistry courses? Reason I ask is because it seems the only option is to get a pharmacy tech license, and then I have heard that even then it is hard to come across this experience. Will the obtaining of the pharmacy tech license itself also be favorable even if I am unable to find a job as a pharmacy tech within the next 2-3 years?

Ok, my question is simple. Are pharmacy schools really looking for people who have experience in the pharmacy vs. people with very good EC's and good grades in all their chemistry courses? Reason I ask is because it seems the only option is to get a pharmacy tech license, and then I have heard that even then it is hard to come across this experience. Will the obtaining of the pharmacy tech license itself also be favorable even if I am unable to find a job as a pharmacy tech within the next 2-3 years?

Of course they want people with experience. They expect the student to know what they are getting themselves into. I think its important to really know what a pharmacist does on a daily basis.

Reason I ask is because it seems the only option is to get a pharmacy tech license, and then I have heard that even then it is hard to come across this experience. Will the obtaining of the pharmacy tech license itself also be favorable even if I am unable to find a job as a pharmacy tech within the next 2-3 years?

Obtaining a pharmacy technician license may also open doors to volunteering-just depends on the pharmacy what they require.
No, there is no point in obtaining a pharmacy tech license if you are not going to step foot in a pharmacy.
Better to get health care experience than no experience at all. Best of all would be pharmacy experience. It's going to take some initiative to find opportunities, but that's exactly the kind of proactivity adcoms are looking for.

i agree with both posters above. :) OP, it's not required to work as pharm tech, to get into pharm school, as a considerable amount of volunteer/shadow experience will suffice. no, NOT saying you shouldn't try getting hired as a clerk/pt. but, if you can't get hired despite your best efforts. atleast try to volunteer at a local hospital or even try shadowing an independant pharmacist. hope all works out for the better though and best of luck! with that time :luck:

I am an int'l student and I was able to shadow only for a month. I just got accepted. I too was worried about my lack of experience compared to other applicants too but I guess as long as you are well-rounded otherwise, it does not really matter. Hope this helps!

this network is just great, thank you so much everyone. Yes, I happen to be a chemistry major who has just finished a minor in classical piano. I would be VERY VERY willing to work as a volunteer. I am so glad to hear that these volunteering opportunities should be available to those who are licensed. If anyone can say anything about those volunteering opportunities it would be much appreciated!

Hi,

I have couple of questions about pharmacy experience before starting school of pharmacy. It would be helpful if any current pharmacy school students or recent graduates answer these questions for me. I know that pre-pharm candidates can get into school of pharmacy with zero pharmacy experience if they have decent GPA/PCAT/Interview/EC but once you are admitted to school of pharmacy,

(1) is it a HUGE disadvantage not having been exposed to clinical aspect of pharmacy such as working at retail pharm store as a technician or retail internship?
(2) Those students came in w/o any pharmacy experience, do they seem to have much harder times than those who had a lot of pharmacy experience?

I am asking these questions because I went to an undergraduate with no school of pharmacy and I don't have too much pharmacy experience but at the same time, I have decent grades/EC with research publication and volunteer working at the hospice hospital. I have no "real" pharmacy experience so I do not have a clear idea/understanding of what is really going on behind the counter working as a pharmacist.

(3) I graduated from college almost three years ago and I have been out of school. I think I am a little shaky in study habits... What should I do over this summer before entering pharmacy school (starting fall) to get a head start in terms of school work and pharmacy experience?

(4) For those who are in school now, what would you have done differently over the summer before starting 1st year of pharmacy school?

I appreciate suggestions/comments. Thanks!

Yeah, the people who came into pharmacy school with no experience in pharmacy whatsoever do seem to have a tougher time once they are in. They get intimidated by all the drugs that they have to learn. I found it amazing that some people in my classroom never heard of a lot of the drugs that I thought were pretty common knowledge, and it just pissed me off because the professors had to move slower because of those people.

For the life of me, I've never understood how someone can dedicate so many years of their life to a profession they've never even worked in.

Get the experience anyway you can. I have known far too many people, a lot of P2s to be honest, who found pharmacy to be nothing like what they thought it would be and they end up regretting their decision.

Hi,

I have couple of questions about pharmacy experience before starting school of pharmacy. It would be helpful if any current pharmacy school students or recent graduates answer these questions for me. I know that pre-pharm candidates can get into school of pharmacy with zero pharmacy experience if they have decent GPA/PCAT/Interview/EC but once you are admitted to school of pharmacy,

(1) is it a HUGE disadvantage not having been exposed to clinical aspect of pharmacy such as working at retail pharm store as a technician or retail internship?
(2) Those students came in w/o any pharmacy experience, do they seem to have much harder times than those who had a lot of pharmacy experience?

I am asking these questions because I went to an undergraduate with no school of pharmacy and I don't have too much pharmacy experience but at the same time, I have decent grades/EC with research publication and volunteer working at the hospice hospital. I have no "real" pharmacy experience so I do not have a clear idea/understanding of what is really going on behind the counter working as a pharmacist.

(3) I graduated from college almost three years ago and I have been out of school. I think I am a little shaky in study habits... What should I do over this summer before entering pharmacy school (starting fall) to get a head start in terms of school work and pharmacy experience?

(4) For those who are in school now, what would you have done differently over the summer before starting 1st year of pharmacy school?

I appreciate suggestions/comments. Thanks!

1) I wouldn't say it's a "huge" disadvantage, but you will be at a disadvantage to the people who have experience. That being said, you will definitely not be alone. You may have to work a little harder than some but that's the sacrifice you have to make if you really want to be a pharmacist.

2) Students with no pharmacy experience do have a more difficult time, but a good student is a good student and can overcome the disadvantage.

3) We had I believe around 7 people fail Pharmacology I in my first semester. Failing a class in pharmacy school is a bad, bad idea. It basically puts you a year behind and costs you a whole bunch of $$. A wasted year of school is around $100k in lost earnings (that is of course an average and doesn't take into consideration taxes, etc.). In my opinion (I'm only a P1.5) the studying has to be proactive. I start studying about a week before a pharmacology test or med chem test in order to get a decent grade (B+ or above).

4) The summer before the first semester is a time to relax before your PharmD journey. Hang out with friends, enjoy your family, and have fun.

So far I've really enjoyed pharmacy school. I'm very busy but I still have time to have a life. Going from working full-time and school part-time to just school has been wonderful. I feel like I'm on vacation (a very expensive vacation :rolleyes:).

is it easy getting work experience when volunteering or is it competitive to even get a volunteering spot such as local hospital and pharmacy

is it easy getting work experience when volunteering or is it competitive to even get a volunteering spot such as local hospital and pharmacy

It depends on the hospital or pharmacy and if they have the space for a volunteer. It would be more helpful if you give a location where you are seeking to find volunteer experience so you will get the best answer to your question.

I am still in my second semester of college completing pharm prereqs. I have applied at the hospital but the supervisor said she will call me back after she gets a reply from the pharmacist she send an email to. Should I try going to walgreens and CVS? I heard they don't accept volunteers.

any idea?

I am still in my second semester of college completing pharm prereqs. I have applied at the hospital but the supervisor said she will call me back after she gets a reply from the pharmacist she send an email to. Should I try going to walgreens and CVS? I heard they don't accept volunteers.

any idea?

I have been having similar difficulty with finding a pharmacy at which to volunteer or work for experiential purposes. They don't accept volunteers, and when asked about actual employment as a tech or a clerk, they tell me that they're letting go of some of the techs they have, and definitely not seeking to hire anyone new.

any idea?
Depends on where you live. I know that Texas pharmacies require volunteers to be certified, or going to trade school for RX tech certification. Of course, if you got certification, most likely they could take you in.

I know a lot of major chains are in hiring freezes right now. Volunteers who are certified are a boon because it means having not to pay techs for hours that volunteers will work.