Pharmacy Job Market

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by owlegrad, Dec 16, 2018.

1. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Please keep you discussion of the pharmacy job market limited to this thread.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Doktor_dud3

Doktor_dud3 Pre-Med
    Moderator Verified Expert 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    2p5gdi.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. projektreverb

I was talking with a P4 student over the weekend who got offered a float position in a semi large midwestern city with happy healthy. Couldn't confirm how many hours yet but it was 59$ an hour.

4. projektreverb

I find it interesting that in the Pharmacy Job Outlook thread, they were talking about saturation and over supply as early as 2005, back when sign on bonuses were still a thing!

5. gwarm01

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Quoting a post of mine from a few months ago. For context, I'm posting the results of the UAMS annual graduating class salary surgery. This was to demonstrate that even rural states are feeling the pinch of saturation. What sticks out to me is the steady and continued trend downward over the past decade.

Original post:

How did the graduating class from the respected state university fair in 2018?

55% offered a job.
    24% believed the job market was good, down from 48% last year.
    Average salary of 109k, which was a nearly 5% drop from the previous year.
    Average student loan burden: 134k.

This is a seriously steep decline since my time there. We were always excited to see the salary survey because average pay always went up 5-10%. I think the year I graduated was the first time it declined, although it was only by a fraction of a percent and was played off as a statistical anomaly.

Update 2: Here is a nice trend from the past several years.

2015: 88% accepted a position, average salary $120,657, 68% felt opportunities were excellent or good.
    2016: 89% accepted a position, average salary $119,168, 63% felt opportunities were excellent or good.
    2017: 78% accepted a position, average salary $115,155, 48% felt opportunities were excellent or good.
    2018: 55% accepted a position, average salary $109,620, 24% felt opportunities were excellent or good.

If this is how we are doing in a booming economy with rock-bottom unemployment, how will we handle the next recession?

catalyzt, MindGeek, Momus and 2 others like this.
  6. UCSF2021

Pharmacist
    NDSU PHARMACY SURVEY

Average
    2014: 98K
    2015: 90K
    2016: 92K
    2017: 99K

Modest_anteater likes this.
  7. youRCC

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Does this job market thread include discussions about pharmacist pay? CA, government...we've hit $40/hour :arghh:

I know government positions pay the least but damn...

[​IMG]

8. PumpkinSmasher

PumpkinSmasher Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Government salary postings are not always accurate. I worked for a government hospital before. When I applied the posted salary was about 70-85k range. My actual salary upon being hired was 112k I think.

youRCC likes this.
  9. zelman

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  10. Doktor_dud3

Doktor_dud3 Pre-Med

Pre-Medical
    Tons, bro, the market is so good right now they're hiring pharmacists who haven't even been to pharmacy school yet

11. Modest_anteater

Modest_anteater Is today your last day on Earth?

please don't use acronyms without defining them. CA could be California or Canada. By doing this it lowers the signal and increases the noise of your post.

12. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If it was in Canada, it would have been spelled "Behavioural Health", thus denoting which locale it is becomes redundant and time wasting.

Apologize to this man.

13. JustFillIt

Haha! You turkey! I gotta say though - I don’t know if you can match my level of sarcasm that I had in that other post.

Alright - for real positive contribution. I consider myself fortunate to be in a stable high paying position... I have had 2 conversations in the past 6 weeks which was someone else asking me to apply for decent full time open positions... So on my end it’s good. However, I do live in a very rural community.

Modest_anteater and Doktor_dud3 like this.
  14. BC_89

Moderator Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I’m nothing short of intrigued with the idea of working in BFE Alaska or backwoods Kansas catching lake trout or hunting deer on what free time I may be able to gain.

working 7 on 7 off would be fantastic...If not I’ll apply VA hospital as a disabled veteran or work part time with my outside stream of steady monthly income..... Oh the possibilities

15. OP
    OP
    owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If we are competing for "most sarcastic" I have already won. I won "Most Sarcastic" in my class. I am a sarcasm machine - It's literally in my title right there <--

lord999, CetiAlphaFive, giga and 3 others like this.
  16. Doktor_dud3

Doktor_dud3 Pre-Med

Pre-Medical
    Hail to the King, hahaha

17. gwarm01

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Now we're talking. I've never successfully caught a lake trout, though truthfully I've only ever tried once. I've caught plenty of rainbow, brown, and brook trout back home though. I've been less successful since moving out west, but I haven't ventured too far from town. The only interesting things I've caught here is a tiny salmon and an even tinier sculpin.

lord999 and BC_89 like this.
  18. BC_89

Pharmacy Student
    I’d venture to say your attempts are more than most others who may / may not know a brook from a brown lol

(I’ve had to plan my trips outside the Midwest for the angler trout this time of year.)

19. Modest_anteater

20. lane one

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Interesting data there. Can anyone comment on pharmacy impact of the 2008 financial crisis? I wasn't practicing then, but I've always thought of healthcare demand as inelastic, meaning the impact of economic recession should be less severe than other industries. Of course, that doesn't stop the chains from leaning out even more to pare their losses on the front store side. Thoughts?

21. wamcp

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    After adjusting for inflation, the 2018 salary of 109620 is actually equal to 104962 of buying power in 2015 dollars.

So, the change in salary over 3 years is actually even lower

catalyzt likes this.
  22. wamcp

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is this the typical hourly rate for pharmacists??? What about doing a night shift at a hospital, is the rate higher?

I have no skin in this matter, but as a hospitalist I’m currently receiving 225 to 250 an hour to cover daytime admitting or night shifts....seems like a huge contrast (In fact, I am at work right now, very bored and browsing SDN..only had 1 admission and 1 rapid response call so far)

penichillin likes this.
  23. PharmDminus

2+ Year Member

you are earning over 400k/year as a hospitalist?

24. PharmDminus

2+ Year Member

the standard premium for most hospital night shift RPh is to work 70 hours and be paid for 80 (roughly 15% premium)

penichillin likes this.
  25. wamcp

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, close to 600k/ year at my current pace. That is by working a lot of moonlighting and night/evening admitting shifts though. I work on average so far this year, 22 shifts a month varying from 8 to 12h in length.

I have been on the other end of the spectrum as a hospitalist. I used to work daytime academic hospitalist downtown in a big city at garbage pay rates. I had to work 25 to 26 shifts a month to achieve 380k in a year.

Modest_anteater and penichillin like this.
  26. PharmDminus

2+ Year Member

you have supply and demand on your side, the pharmacy profession used to have that as well but the scales tipped the other way 5 years ago or so. Our salaries were rising quickly, now they are dropping just as fast. One advantage of ovenights is there is usually the opportunity to pick up extra shifts. A Rph working as many hours as you are would max out around 180-200k.

27. wamcp

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Could you guys specialize in a pharmacy fellowship or residency to make yourself more marketable for a higher paying position?

28. PharmDminus

2+ Year Member

there are 1 and 2 years residencies which most hospitals now require. certain specialties like an oncology or nuclear pharmacist will have slightly higher pay but not by much

29. APN-59 rph

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I can't see where the two jobs are at all comparable.....I have made one death defying decision as a pharmacist and caught maybe five deadly mistakes (maybe)..In another job one disaster.one screw up..in yet another job..one real disaster...A doctor's job must be incredibly higher.....

30. quickpic007

2+ Year Member

Curious: what are these garbage rates? 100$hr approx?

31. wamcp

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, when I attended on the resident-intern teaching service it was around 100. When on the nonteaching service at the academic center I got 125/hr which IMO is also a pretty trash pay rate

catalyzt likes this.
  32. samven582

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    yes, industry pharmacist with MBAs can make hospitalist level pay.

RXGators123 likes this.
  33. greenteapanacea

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm working at an East Coast hospital right now making $46 an hour doing night shifts (77hrs per pay period). They don't round that up to 80 hrs T.T

CNJ_Anon likes this.
  34. wamcp

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Curious. What do you guys actually do on shift?
    Is there a lot of downtime and you can sleep/nap in a call room?

35. gwarm01

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verify new medication orders, prepare a batch or two of medications, handle any stat issues. There's no sleeping allowed.

We would typically have a very slow period midday through the night. My old job was at a fairly small hospital, but we were high acuity and required 24/7 pharmacy coverage. Smaller places can get by without overnight coverage, while others will require multiple pharmacists.

RXGators123, lane one and lord999 like this.
  36. greenteapanacea

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Basically what gwarm01 said. When there's some downtime, I change medication cabinet par levels and help with some admin/supply ordering. On the weekends, there's no floor pharmacists so I do the IV to PO switches and monitor CrCl, etc "clnical stuff". Note, all of this is voluntary, and I could actually just sit here and browse studentdoctorforum all night ;)

pharmglitterati and RXGators123 like this.
  37. Modest_anteater

What do you use all that money for? Like I have a hard time spending my money right now and I make less than that. Vacations to exotic places?

38. gwarm01

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    edit: that came off as meaner than I intended.

*insert light hearted jab about living in a trailer behind your car being the reason why are having trouble spending all that money*

projektreverb likes this.
  39. Modest_anteater

yeah but like even if you buy a house or appartment you can only buy so much materialistic stuff to fill it with.... I used to own a house in the suburbs. VERY LONELY experience.

40. wamcp

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In several months I hope to find out, which is when I will finish off my student loans.

Breakdown currently is 18 to 20k per month to loans, 7k to retirement accounts, then 7k in our spending budget, and about 19k to taxes.

41. Sine Cura

Sine Cura 10 seconds or less
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Financial success in Family Medicine

Doctors who retire early often met with scorn

If you have a lot of after-tax income, invest appropriately, retire early and **** everyone

42. APN-59 rph

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    One way to look at it is that the big system has a LOT of sunk cost in your training..(and you took training that someone else could have used..WITH A BIG HELPING OF TAXPAYER MONEY)..which leads to some expectation of payback by actually USING that training....Another way to look at it is that if you want to SIE (self initiated elimination)...that may be a good thing......

43. Sine Cura

Sine Cura 10 seconds or less
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  44. BC_89

Pharmacy Student
    Pharmacists

Look at the geographic profile / quotient / employment ranges for Minnesota and Wisconsin based on BSL data from 2017.

45. Louie2012

2+ Year Member

Got a job offer 54.90/hr(floater) At a midsize city in lower Midwest. I’m already an RN so working PRN making $40/hr with no limits on overtime.

So after 4 years of school and $100k in student loans I’m only getting a $15 pay raise

46. giga

Pharmacist U.S. Public Health Service 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    But you dont have to wipe people's butts anymore, and that's priceless.

47. Louie2012

2+ Year Member

To be honest I don’t mind it. Someone has to do it.

Also I could’ve just been an NP. I’ve been looking for jobs and the ratio of NP to PharmD demand is more like 5:1. Some even offer bonuses. Cheaper to be an NP and can still work full time while in school plus just 24-36 months of school.

What was I thinking.

Luol Deng Fan likes this.
  48. giga

Pharmacist U.S. Public Health Service 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That's a good question if your only reason for going to pharm school was for the pay check and job opportunities, and not because you find the pharmacy profession more your calling versus sticking it out with nursing. Hopefully you find something redeeming about the career switch...

49. Louie2012

2+ Year Member

I know what you mean. I knew I wanted to be a pharmacist even before I became a nurse in the first place. That’s why despite the easier route of NP I chose pharmacy school.

Hopefully I made the right choice.

giga likes this.
  50. awval999

awval999 New Member
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What did you expect?

That is $114k/year which is market rate for a new grad in the Midwest.