Pharmacy Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Offer date - received January '19, I'm class of 2019
Company - Rite Aid
Area - smallish city in the Northeast
Hours guaranteed - 30 (really 60 biweekly)
Starting salary - $51/hr

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Are you considered full time?

Members don't see this ad.

not as in age but working for one company for more than 8-10 years. Are these pharmacists going to feel the burn of saturation? Anyone feel they are getting forced out or demoted? Or is it relatively stable

Question is for hospital pharmacists and retail
Regarding feeling the burn of saturation in retail:
I never felt forced out or was demoted, but I did see that lateral violence and learned helplessness cycles started getting worse.
I moved on for better hours, similar pay and peace of mind. (Wasn't easy to do this, but I was fortunate.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Offer date - Feb '17
Company - Publix
Area - Central Florida
Hours guaranteed - 30
Starting salary - 52/hour

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hospitals value employees with experiences. Nurse, housekeeping, food service, pharmacist are all treated fairly. We have 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 years service award and official celebration for these valued employees. They get nice gift and dinner. Usually after 5 years, your benefits also grow significantly (PTO ratio, 401k matching, bonus......)

Experience are really valued because how long it take to train a fully functional labor. It take at about three years for a pharmacist to truly be self sufficient and recuperate the hiring cost.

In terms of layoffs in hospital. Member with less seniority are more vulnerable regardless of their pay. We usually let go of the newest hire with severance package.

As with pay cut, it is difficult to enact that unless such measure is hospital wide. Even wage stagnation for pharmacy department is hard to orchestrate, because HR can’t single out a department. Unless hospital is in dire situation, they usually steer away from negative publicity.

Amid pharmacy saturation, our VP has recently obtained 10% pay scale increase for our department from HR. Our top pay for staff pharmacist is at $70 with max of 7 weeks PTO. Our system is in second tier metropolitan with decent cost of living.

The claim that retail pharmacists make more money was merely artificial and temporary at best about 10 years ago. Pay trend has now been restored based on knowledge, skillset, expertise and most importantly the replaceable value. Hospital pharmacists are now pulling ahead (I remember 10 years ago, hospital recruiter told me that only 1 new grad in 10 goes to hospital and they lose existing people to retail.) Hospital pharmacist are hard to recruit and train, each hiring decision is made carefully. They are definitely not commodity.

Study hard, get good grade, network...... just like any other potential employees in any industry. Remember we are not entitled to a job(regardless the amount of tuition you pay)like all others, we have to compete.

I was a B student who miss more than 70% of my classes in pharmacy school. My preceptor told me I had no chance to make it. I am on my sixth job now and I have double my pay from 10 years ago into 200k. I guess seniority in my case was not really relevant.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I do think at this moment there are still some opportunities available for students, but it is all contingent on their debt loads at graduation and willingness to work in undesirable places. If you will have high debts at graduation or want to work somewhere that doesn’t have Arctic weather, pharmacy may not be a good choice.

I do think at this moment there are still some opportunities available for students, but it is all contingent on their debt loads at graduation and willingness to work in undesirable places. If you will have high debts at graduation or want to work somewhere that doesn’t have Arctic weather, pharmacy may not be a good choice.

High debt load and lack of desire to work in the arctic. Between those two factors is like 95% of pharm students. So in other words: almost all current students should quit while they’re ahead.

High debt load and lack of desire to work in the arctic. Between those two factors is like 95% of pharm students. So in other words: almost all current students should quit while they’re ahead.
I don’t disagree. I just happen to know some great pre-pharm students who don’t mind terrible weather apparently. As long as they work a ton and keep debt low, it may work out for them. I will be rooting for them the whole way.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is depressing. Retail used to pay a premium over other pharmacy jobs to account for the stress and work environment, but I made more per year as an evening hospital pharmacist than retail pays these days. I hope they don't reduce the guaranteed hours any further, but the pharmacist surplus means they can basically do whatever they want. Only guarantee 20 hours/week, hire twice as many people, and you'll always have a surplus of workers to fill in any gaps.

Students who pursue pharmacy for the right reasons won't have trouble getting jobs.

Jobs go to those with the highest caliber talent.

People who get into this profession for the pay will become jaded the quickest.

There are so many other ways to make a buck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using SDN mobile
Love this post and agree with it greatly. GOOD people will ALWAYS get a job. Reminds me of a qoute from my late father, "The harder i work the luckier i get". I feel indifferent about saturation and lower pay because i did not study this on borrowed government funds to make a quick buck. I did it to learn and help others. I have trouble feeling sorry for people that went into pharmacy strictly for money or "status" eg 'look at me i have a white coat i'm a real doctor now. Call me Doctor now!' . These people are living a life of sin, excess, pridefullness and live empty lives having strayed too far from the path God has lit for us.

Last edited:
^Yeah but there’s a point where good people will be smart enough to realize that the $$$ made in Pharmacy just isn’t worth it and take their talent elsewhere. Then the field will be left with garbage and talent won’t matter.

I don’t care what you say about “I’ll do this job for 2 cents an hour and a cookie every day”. You’re quite possibly the only talented person who would work for free (or next to it) as a pharmacist.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone ITT that got a job! Good job guys keep up the good work.

Love this post and agree with it greatly. GOOD people will ALWAYS get a job. Reminds me of a qoute from my late father, "The harder i work the luckier i get". I feel indifferent about saturation and lower pay because i did not study this on borrowed government funds to make a quick buck. I did it to learn and help others. I have trouble feeling sorry for people that went into pharmacy strictly for money or "status" eg 'look at me i have a white coat i'm a real doctor now. Call me Doctor now!' . These people are living a life of sin, excess, pridefullness and live empty lives having strayed too far from the path God has lit for us.
Agreed, I am also indifferent to saturation or economics.

I love my job and always looking to level up in my career and help others do the same.

Its not my company or boss that make my job meaningful and full of joy.

It's my personal mission that makes me happy

^Yeah but there’s a point where good people will be smart enough to realize that the $$$ made in Pharmacy just isn’t worth it and take their talent elsewhere. Then the field will be left with garbage and talent won’t matter.

I don’t care what you say about “I’ll do this job for 2 cents an hour and a cookie every day”. You’re quite possibly the only talented person who would work for free (or next to it) as a pharmacist.
That's the challenge for our leadership and our pharmacy schools to address.

Recruiting and retaining the very best people and aligning them with real purpose is the best way to elevate our profession.

But decreasing standards and letting the wrong mentalities pollute the profession ensures that good talent will always be in short supply

We shouldn't be afraid of the good ones leaving us. We should encourage people to spread their wings.

But I also think we should expect more from those that choose to stay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Offer date - December 2018
Company - CVS
Area - Midwest midsized city (prob considered small to a lot of you)
Hours guaranteed - 36 is guaranteed but hoping to get to 42+
Starting salary - 55/hr

Last edited:
That's the challenge for our leadership and our pharmacy schools to address.

Recruiting and retaining the very best people and aligning them with real purpose is the best way to elevate our profession.

But decreasing standards and letting the wrong mentalities pollute the profession ensures that good talent will always be in short supply

We shouldn't be afraid of the good ones leaving us. We should encourage people to spread their wings.

But I also think we should expect more from those that choose to stay.

I do agree with you to a certain point. As much as I would love for the leaders of our profession to take on this problem, to me, one of two things is happening with leadership in pharmacy today:

1. They are asleep at the wheel or complacent
2. They are drinking someone's Kool-Aid

Offer date - 12/2017
Company-CVS
Area - SW large metro
Guaranteed- unknown hours
Rate: $62.90/hr

Offer date - 12/2017
Company-WAG
Area - SW large metro
Guaranteed- 32hrs/wk
Rate: $59/hr

I do agree with you to a certain point. As much as I would love for the leaders of our profession to take on this problem, to me, one of two things is happening with leadership in pharmacy today:

1. They are asleep at the wheel or complacent
2. They are drinking someone's Kool-Aid
What does drinking the Kool-Aid mean to you?

Those are only problems within certain situations.

Some complacent professionals simply want to clock in and out, and have not interest in excelling or doing more.

This isn't bad or good, just a different philosophy of working and living.

Many great pharmacists fall into this category.

I think complacency can be a problem when people are depending on them (as in for leadership).

Unfortunately, in retail pharmacy, we have teams of technicians and thousands of patients who depend on good leadership.

Why did mods combine all these threads? They are a mess now, for example if someone wanted to see new grad offers they are all over the place.

This thread is depressing. Retail used to pay a premium over other pharmacy jobs to account for the stress and work environment, but I made more per year as an evening hospital pharmacist than retail pays these days. I hope they don't reduce the guaranteed hours any further, but the pharmacist surplus means they can basically do whatever they want. Only guarantee 20 hours/week, hire twice as many people, and you'll always have a surplus of workers to fill in any gaps.

That's what hospitals have been doing for years, only hiring per diems so they don't have to pay benefits. I'm surprised the chains still offer full time positions.

Why did mods combine all these threads? They are a mess now, for example if someone wanted to see new grad offers they are all over the place.

While I am not going to throw a fellow mod under the bus and certainly am not going to reveal who did it, I do agree that the merging was handled poorly. I already addressed it behind the scenes and asked them not to do it again.

The "right reasons" typically being that you're willing to sacrifice your health, license and patient safety for lower pay so that you can make CVS and WBA, possibly soon AMZN shareholders richer. You also need to be willing to pack your bags and move just about anywhere in the country where you are needed.

Any other reasons and you'll probably be jaded.

Definitely agree with you there.
Working for a corporation unfortunately means that we have to be business professionals AND healthcare clinicians.

Managing profitability with patient care is our job code.

So yes, if students pursue retail pharmacy they will need to work for the enterprise aka the shareholders.

Those unwilling to accept the job code are choosing to face lots of adversity.

Many pharmacists would do well to open their own pharmacy or work in non-corporate fields to avoid the burden of business demands

What is a "job code"? I am familiar with this code for pharmacists but since it lacks the part about managing profitability I presume you are referring to some other code.
Sorry, it is more of an inferred role and responsibility that is expected of us when you work for big box pharmacy.

Just like having more clinical expertise and certifications are required to succeed in non-traditional pharmacist roles..

Business acumen should be required in retail pharmacy IMO

Last edited:
Not pharmacy but with loans in general (as previously stated). Cap the amount of fed loans allowable for school. Two things will happen.

1) programs start lowering their costs

2) Students will realize that going toward private loans with high APR financially “doesn’t” add up and will thus stop attending programs forcing institute shutdowns and a fair margin of tuition pricing.

Students should be mandated to take business math along with an emphasis on compounded numbers and yearly % ratings.

I said the exact same thing about loans and got called a conservative white biggot who hates education

Here's your weekly reminder:

The sky is falling!!

This really need to be a subforum, not one single thread.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SDN should have it's only entire category for "Saturation"

Reactions: 3 users
Modest,

With all due respect... I have reason to believe that you are just feigning your experiences as a pharmacist on these boards. I think it's very patronizing for you to pretend to understand the struggles of pharmacy saturation and joke that you live in your car to 'lessen the blow of saturation'. I don't know for sure if you work in an actual pharmacy, but I am very certain you are a technician.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but your musings are distasteful at best. Is there any possibility that we can deflect your energies from the saturation fight into making an effort at work fight? Charity starts at home.

Modest,

With all due respect... I have reason to believe that you are just feigning your experiences as a pharmacist on these boards. I think it's very patronizing for you to pretend to understand the struggles of pharmacy saturation and joke that you live in your car to 'lessen the blow of saturation'. I don't know for sure if you work in an actual pharmacy, but I am very certain you are a technician.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but your musings distasteful at best. Is there any possibility that we can deflect your energies from the saturation fight into making an effort at work fight? Charity starts at home.
> 7 likes received
>9 messages
> account not even one month old
Yea between this account and your account there is only one account that is a troll account....

also please duly note that my post got two likes and yours got zero for some feedback on your posting style and content.

> 7 likes received
>9 messages
> account not even one month old
Yea between this account and your account there is only one account that is a troll account....

also please duly note that my post got two likes and yours got zero for some feedback on your posting style and content.
Omnicare
Dec 2016
$48 - 52/hr
Area - Suburban metro

Not Coram, but equivalent competitor
Nov 2017
$55/hr
Area - Suburban

Cap$u/_e - remote verification
Apr 2018
$30/hr

Independent
$40/clean
Area - Urban
————
Managed Care
- $ similar to retail, better hours
Medical Writing
- depends on your contract/content
MSL, Regulatory - I don't have the experience for this yet and my friends wouldn't appreciate me disclosing info.
————
I’m on here to get info about:
- 2 specific MPJE’s
- BCACP or BCPS (outside of information found on the BPS website)
- wasn’t sure if getting a CDE was worth it these days
- non-traditional PGY-1/PGY-2 information

Yes, the sky is falling and you are better than me. I wish I had all that free time to post regularly on an internet board.

@3457908 What are these jobs you are listing? Your personal offers, or offers for people you know? I know Omni and Coram both pay much for than than, even for new grads.

@3457908 What are these jobs you are listing? Your personal offers, or offers for people you know? I know Omni and Coram both pay much for than than, even for new grads.
Just ignore him. He's clearly a troll at the worst case or in the best case he is a taker just looking to get info off people instead of giving back to the community first.

Where is the original “the sky is falling” megathread?

I think it might be the 'you can do the work, but I really need for you to manage another disruptive employee for me' pay rate offer (if you catch my drift).

Students who pursue pharmacy for the right reasons won't have trouble getting jobs.

I don't think I pursued pharmacy for the right reason... honestly I think I did it for money.
It wasn't that easy to find a job but still found one.
Can't complain since it pays- even after the tax, I'm making a lot more than the average/median of the US income.
I think the saturation is real, and it's a reminder to appreciate the job that I have.

Offer date - Feb '17
Company - Publix
Area - Central Florida
Hours guaranteed - 30
Starting salary - 52/hour

I've always wondered how much Publix pays, thank you for this.
I think the less stressful environment (than WAG/CVS) and access to Publix subs/deli is priceless.

Modest,

You are entitled to your own opinions, but your musings distasteful at best. Is there any possibility that we can deflect your energies from the saturation fight into making an effort at work fight? Charity starts at home.

I actually agree with this, though there are quite a few other participants on this forum whose posts are offensive/distasteful.
Some people need to Google "psychology of a troll".

I have no idea what your drift is.
I don't think it's best for us to carry on this conversation any further. That wasn't meant to be an offensive statement. If I offended you, I am sorry.

I don't think I pursued pharmacy for the right reason... honestly I think I did it for money.
It wasn't that easy to find a job but still found one.
Can't complain since it pays- even after the tax, I'm making a lot more than the average/median of the US income.
I think the saturation is real, and it's a reminder to appreciate the job that I have.

I think the less stressful environment (than WAG/CVS) and access to Publix subs/deli is priceless.

I actually agree with this, though there are quite a few other participants on this forum whose posts are offensive/distasteful.
Some people need to Google "psychology of a troll".

These statements can be misleading. Sure you're making more than the average/median, but you also had to take out $100-$200,000 worth of loans (or more) and also invest 4+ years of your life to get there.

What if your job search didn't pan out and it dragged on? What if you got a job, but it forcibly separated you from your family and friends, and you had to settle for living in the middle of nowhere?

Pharmacy is unique in that of all the medical professions, we are most at risk of being displaced at any moment by fresh grad brown nosers, willing to do anything and accept anything to stave off student loans in an increasingly imbalanced hiring field where all the odds are stacked in retail's favor.

That 52/hour was my salary as a floater. Pharmacy managers start at around 58-59/hour and it builds up from there. And don't get me wrong, Pub subs are awesome but I've eaten one too many and now I won't touch one with a 10-foot pole haha.

That’s an overly simplistic way of looking at it. It doesn’t matter what the motivation is, talent is talent. Some of the nicest pharmacists I’ve met weren’t the people for the job (this being retail), while others, who fully admitted being in it for the money, and hated the job on certain days, could hold their own.

I will say that my previous hospital and a few other hospitals in the region did not take students for rotation from certain schools. They definitely didnt hire them.

That’s an overly simplistic way of looking at it. It doesn’t matter what the motivation is, talent is talent. Some of the nicest pharmacists I’ve met weren’t the people for the job (this being retail), while others, who fully admitted being in it for the money, and hated the job on certain days, could hold their own.
Yep, there are plenty of competent pharmacists that only got in it for the money. That's also not a wrong reason to go for a career.

Since the "sky is falling" with saturation, BC_89 is catching up on fishing (trout season in the midwest), growing a government shutdown beard (more like post-shutdown until it reverts again), working out 6 days a week (black card at planet fitness!!), collecting a paycheck until military pension kicks in, and essentially teasing my 5 and 3 year old kids (yea...i tease) until my $0.00 cost of earning my pharmD begins August 13th 2019 in a 3 year program... Of course I plan on moving to the state earlier since its got some good hunting grounds out in the Oregon pines.

Worse case scenario I work part time (20 hours a week) while still making above the middle class salary once I'm licensed and including my steady stream of other resources. Now, presuming this is my worst case scenario (and I already have affordable health insurance), would others still persuade me to avoid pharmacy altogether and if so, what career do you believe I should pursue? Keep in mind I've worked as a tech for years and love the idea of going back to work with more money even at the part time rate. At least I wont be entirely starting over doing this route, then again I cant stop thinking what all I can do with my invested free-time if things go my way (which I define as part of the American Dream)

Since the "sky is falling" with saturation, BC_89 is catching up on fishing (trout season in the midwest), growing a government shutdown beard (more like post-shutdown until it reverts again), working out 6 days a week (black card at planet fitness!!), collecting a paycheck until military pension kicks in, and essentially teasing my 5 and 3 year old kids (yea...i tease) until my $0.00 cost of earning my pharmD begins August 13th 2019 in a 3 year program... Of course I plan on moving to the state earlier since its got some good hunting grounds out in the Oregon pines.

Worse case scenario I work part time (20 hours a week) while still making above the middle class salary once I'm licensed and including my steady stream of other resources. Now, presuming this is my worst case scenario (and I already have affordable health insurance), would others still persuade me to avoid pharmacy altogether and if so, what career do you believe I should pursue? Keep in mind I've worked as a tech for years and love the idea of going back to work with more money even at the part time rate. At least I wont be entirely starting over doing this route, then again I cant stop thinking what all I can do with my invested free-time if things go my way (which I define as part of the American Dream)
Dude planet fitness doesn't even have bench press. It should be called "Cruise Ship Gym" . All they have is that weak guided smith machine. Can't do dead lifts either. That place is a complete joke unless you are there to find your future wife. A lot of very attractive young women there.

These statements can be misleading. Sure you're making more than the average/median, but you also had to take out $100-$200,000 worth of loans (or more) and also invest 4+ years of your life to get there.

What if your job search didn't pan out and it dragged on? What if you got a job, but it forcibly separated you from your family and friends, and you had to settle for living in the middle of nowhere?

Pharmacy is unique in that of all the medical professions, we are most at risk of being displaced at any moment by fresh grad brown nosers, willing to do anything and accept anything to stave off student loans in an increasingly imbalanced hiring field where all the odds are stacked in retail's favor.

You are absolutely right.
What also needs to be considered is that a lot of pharmacy students will be spending their 20's (perhaps the best time of the life) in additional 3-4 years of school.
Money can't buy youth.
I wouldn't recommend pursuing a career as a pharmacist unless it's their dream job and they'd do it for $40's, $30's, or hell, $20's (/hour).

Dude planet fitness doesn't even have bench press. It should be called "Cruise Ship Gym" . All they have is that weak guided smith machine. Can't do dead lifts either. That place is a complete joke unless you are there to find your future wife. A lot of very attractive young women there.

I got my own free weights for power/hang clings, squat and bench. I do like the cardio timing regimen and hydro-massage. plus something me and the wife do later at night to get outta the house while kids hang out with their cousins. Also, the extra $21 with a shower area beats our original water bill with the kids at home lol

(Not sarcastic, legitimately serious and I'm assuming that you're lower than field grade or you are enlisted)
Why don't you consider taking your security clearance and work for a contractor in a noncombat, domestic position (and I don't mean the renamed Blackwater)? There are plenty of well-paying national security jobs that require someone of your skills, and it would pay as much as a pharmacist now without the career investment required? The one right now that's hard to find is project manager for national security projects. If you have some technical or mechanical background, you could work for DIA or NGSI as a contractor then phase your way in. Lowest paid that I know are $60k, the usual average is $90k for the nontechnical positions, and the normal for technical is $120-140k. Someone with previous signals or intelligence training at Huachuca or served as an S2/S6 starts at $120k and usually goes for around $170-190k due to rarity and immediate utilization possibilities in both open and Directorate positions.

You are absolutely right.
What also needs to be considered is that a lot of pharmacy students will be spending their 20's (perhaps the best time of the life) in additional 3-4 years of school.
Money can't buy youth.
I wouldn't recommend pursuing a career as a pharmacist unless it's their dream job and they'd do it for $40's, $30's, or hell, $20's (/hour).

Yeah tell me about it. I missed out. When I was in pharmacy school other young men were out courting their future wives. Now here I am single and alone while my contemporaries have children.

BC pharmacy school is also very stressful. It’s not incredibly hard but there is a lot of time involved. I would urge you to talk to some pharmacists working now and get their perspective. It’s your decision but make sure it’s a well-researched one

@nafcillin I appreciate the concern. For everyone to know, due to family obligations a few years ago, I have indeed been to pharmacy school (good ‘ol University of Kansas) after earning my Biochem degree. Matter of fact it’s what has led me to the military to keep my spouse and kids with me.

@lord999 correct I was medically retired (will be as of Feb 26th) as an E-5 Sergeant in the Army. Original plan was to ride the GI Bill in the IRR during Pharmacy School (such as the 3 year program I’m in) then commission over as an O3-E Captain...Well, medically discharged puts a kink in that plan.

Security Clearance is still valid, but it’s not a “top” clearance as of someone from a 35 series mos. My other issue is my mental disability rating (PTSD) that’s not been declared permanent (still under TLDR rating instead of the Permanent Retiree Listing) which disqualifies me from many gov contracting jobs. Although my education is paid for, the VA is my priority as a disabled veteran but I’m also wanting isolated rural areas in retail if not picked up at a VA region (always disliked crowded places).

I suppose I’ve accepted the ideology that even if I get 20 hour weeks in worse case scenarios, I have enough steady income and insurance to offset the difference in die-hard circumstances (plus a working spouse). Sad but true that this off-set plan sounds good for me living beneath my means but still having more than enough (military baring mentality is indeed off-put and sad... but true).

@nafcillin I appreciate the concern. For everyone to know, due to family obligations a few years ago, I have indeed been to pharmacy school (good ‘ol University of Kansas) after earning my Biochem degree. Matter of fact it’s what has led me to the military to keep my spouse and kids with me.

@lord999 correct I was medically retired (will be as of Feb 26th) as an E-5 Sergeant in the Army. Original plan was to ride the GI Bill in the IRR during Pharmacy School (such as the 3 year program I’m in) then commission over as an O3-E Captain...Well, medically discharged puts a kink in that plan.

Security Clearance is still valid, but it’s not a “top” clearance as of someone from a 35 series mos. My other issue is my mental disability rating (PTSD) that’s not been declared permanent (still under TLDR rating instead of the Permanent Retiree Listing) which disqualifies me from many gov contracting jobs. Although my education is paid for, the VA is my priority as a disabled veteran but I’m also wanting isolated rural areas in retail if not picked up at a VA region (always disliked crowded places).

I suppose I’ve accepted the ideology that even if I get 20 hour weeks in worse case scenarios, I have enough steady income and insurance to offset the difference in die-hard circumstances (plus a working spouse). Sad but true that this off-set plan sounds good for me living beneath my means but still having more than enough (military baring mentality is indeed off-put and sad... but true).

As a partial rebuttal (not to your preference which I can completely agree with, but to the background), it doesn't need to be a TS/SCI, and if you retain it "despite" your C&P CAPRI PTSD compensable, that's not required to be disclosed for noncombat positions (that's a change in Title 38 and Title 10), and it's actually illegal to ask that as a question in many circumstances. But yeah, most of those jobs are city bound unless you're willing to work in tech (Booz Allen Hamilton and Leidos are the biggest ones that allow for remote employment). So for most of those jobs, you would be in some nondescript office building where you totally cannot talk about your job or your travel with your family and that is some mental pressure. That's what the paycheck is for. For reasons that we can discuss privately, let's just say that I wouldn't go in at this point into any uniformed service as medical staff due to some pay hijinks and other indignities upcoming. There are people leaving due to that reason, and honestly, this probably works out better for you that your time is over.

But, you did ask the question of whether another pathway than pharmacy is viable, and I think we can agree that the gov contractor path is viable. For reasons that you've talked about, it isn't necessarily optimal (and you know how much fun the contractor renaming game goes in the business in terms of mercenary behavior), so pharmacy still is a great option if you believe in it, but you have to believe in it. Even with your reasons though, I could see you being a seasonal gov contractor, then during the slack times, going back to living your life.

The other reason that I'd probably want to go government in your case, pharmacy or not, is that you're old enough with responsibilities such that it's not about you anymore, it's about the kids. The civil service does take care of your children if you cannot take care of the matter yourself, which kind of puts a kink on the part-time forever gig, because while that'll get you by, you probably don't want your kids to have to make this a family business due to economics but through free choice.