Pharmacy Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah tell me about it. I missed out. When I was in pharmacy school other young men were out courting their future wives. Now here I am single and alone while my contemporaries have children.
That's not a bad thing. Men Going Their Own Way. Got cash falling out of my ear ^_^;

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If the collective you want to be like every other breeder be my guest.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not a bad thing. Men Going Their Own Way. Got cash falling out of my ear ^_^;
I'm part of the incel community. MGTOW is too far left. They don't take the real issues at play as seriously as they need to. Reproductive starvation needs to be taken seriously by the US government and young men that do not have gfs/wives should get government funds or extra time off work so they have more time to spend to search for their future wife.

Reproductive starvation needs to be taken seriously by the US government and young men that do not have gfs/wives should get government funds or extra time off work so they have more time to spend to search for their future wife.

Since you understand saturation of this pharmacy job market, you’ll have plenty of ample time with hourly cuts to seek a relationship (their, on topic) so that’s that. You don’t need government funding for a soulmate lol

Reactions: 2 users
Has pharmacy gotten to the point of lawyers and MBAs? Or it that years down the road?

My father-in-law owns several pharmacies in Northern Wisconsin, likely one of the most BFE regions in the country. His only competition was Shopko which recently decided to close their stores. The pharmacist that staffed this store relocated from the east coast because he could not find employment. He is now unemployed, in BFE with a young family to support and no immediate job prospects in the area. I do not know what kind of student loan debt he has.

Location does not equate to job stability.

^Not far down the road (from lawyer/MBA saturation) is an accurate assessment. Heck, the job prospects may end up more dire.

Unbelievable how hard it is to find a job!!! Forget that, to find an interview!!! Graduated in May 2018, and still hunting, really depressing..... dont know what to do??

Unbelievable how hard it is to find a job!!! Forget that, to find an interview!!! Graduated in May 2018, and still hunting, really depressing..... dont know what to do??

Don't give up. Are you willing to move? Have you tried independent pharmacies, even just prn position? Maybe even offer to do free training so when they need help, you are ready to fill in for them. Once training is done you can put on your CV that you work part-time for independent Rx. Keep apply for all positions at Walmart (3 different DMs: Sam's, super-center, and neighborhood market,) brush up on interview questions, they all seemed to ask similar questions from the interviews (even with different chains) I had in the past. With so much saturation, DM tends to pick someone with experience than newbies. My DM hired 6 pharmacists (part-time and salary 24hours/week) in the past year for my area (4 had pharmacy manager experience, 1 were a staff rph, and 1 graduated last May.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry man if you have a year gap than it really gets exceptionally harder to find work. Most top tier students/networkers have jobs lined up MONTHS before they even graduate. At this point I would kindly suggest two options:

1. Go back to school for a non-meme degree that is indemand such as Computer science (coding bootcamps specifically), or HVAC technician

2. Move back home and live with your parents, default on your loans (which i'm sure have increased by now due to interest) and try to get mental health disability to get your loans legally discharged. It',s not a bad life living at home, playing video games all day. With the internet you will never get bored! Lots of good memes to view and make memes and just relax and enjoy the NEET life, god knows you earned it! You are not in Jail or Prison unlike over 1,463,500 adult males! I know many young men and even men in their 30's and 40's that do it. It's honestly becoming the new normal for American men unfortunately. Look at the positives! You are not addicted to heroin, cocaine or alcohol. You are still alive and have your health. Your mental health > pharmacy loans. You got scammed by a university it's not your fault. They spend hundreds of thousands on marketing to trick people like you anon.

3. Continue your job search for a pharmacy job. IF you truly think that it is in God's plan for you to work as a pharmacist than I advocate you continue to search for a job but mix up change up your strategy. Lets be honest you have gone over a year with no success so may be doing something wrong. You should change how you interview and how you apply for jobs

Good luck and feel free to direct message me on here for additional feedback in your situation

Last edited:
Don't give up. Are you willing to move? Have you tried independent pharmacies, even just prn position? Maybe even offer to do free training so when they need help, you are ready to fill in for them. Once training is done you can put on your CV that you work part-time for independent Rx. Keep apply for all positions at Walmart (3 different DMs: Sam's, super-center, and neighborhood market,) brush up on interview questions, they all seemed to ask similar questions from the interviews (even with different chains) I had in the past. With so much saturation, DM tends to pick someone with experience than newbies. My DM hired 6 pharmacists (part-time and salary 24hours/week) in the past year for my area (4 had pharmacy manager experience, 1 were a staff rph, and 1 graduated last May.)
excellent feed back thanks ranger!

Mind if I ask what state your in?

Seems to me that MGTOW is the opposite of inceldom. It's voluntary celibacy rather than involuntary.
MGTOW is more like the illusion of voluntary celibacy when it's really involuntary just reframed.

MGTOW is more like the illusion of voluntary celibacy when it's really involuntary just reframed.

This viewpoint above, that it's out of your own control to find a "mate", is exactly the reason why you can't find one. The reality is that it's 100% in your control and you refuse to accept ownership of that. When's the last time you looked in the mirror and talked honestly to yourself?

what part of "go your own way" implies voluntary celibacy? Some people can be celibate, voluntary or not, regardless of whether they identify as "MGTOW"

I came here for the job market. Why are we arguing over who sucks more at relationships?

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry man if you have a year gap than it really gets exceptionally harder to find work. Most top tier students/networkers have jobs lined up MONTHS before they even graduate. At this point I would kindly suggest two options:

1. Go back to school for a non-meme degree that is indemand such as Computer science (coding bootcamps specifically), or HVAC technician

2. Move back home and live with your parents, default on your loans (which i'm sure have increased by now due to interest) and try to get mental health disability to get your loans legally discharged. It',s not a bad life living at home, playing video games all day. With the internet you will never get bored! Lots of good memes to view and make memes and just relax and enjoy the NEET life, god knows you earned it! You are not in Jail or Prison unlike over 1,463,500 adult males! I know many young men and even men in their 30's and 40's that do it. It's honestly becoming the new normal for American men unfortunately. Look at the positives! You are not addicted to heroin, cocaine or alcohol. You are still alive and have your health. Your mental health > pharmacy loans. You got scammed by a university it's not your fault. They spend hundreds of thousands on marketing to trick people like you anon.

3. Continue your job search for a pharmacy job. IF you truly think that it is in God's plan for you to work as a pharmacist than I advocate you continue to search for a job but mix up change up your strategy. Lets be honest you have gone over a year with no success so may be doing something wrong. You should change how you interview and how you apply for jobs

Good luck and feel free to direct message me on here for additional feedback in your situation
Defaulting on a loan is bad advice. Your credit drops and you also lose eligibility for deferment, forbearance and loan forgiveness, as well as other benefits, like choosing your own repayment plan and eligibility for additional federal aid.

Thanks for the advice, im still trying my best.

Defaulting on a loan is bad advice. Your credit drops and you also lose eligibility for deferment, forbearance and loan forgiveness, as well as other benefits, like choosing your own repayment plan and eligibility for additional federal aid.
Your increased mental health hygiene will more than offset the destroyed credit. You don't need credit to buy ramen. Just do chores around the house for money.

Interesting data there. Can anyone comment on pharmacy impact of the 2008 financial crisis? I wasn't practicing then, but I've always thought of healthcare demand as inelastic, meaning the impact of economic recession should be less severe than other industries. Of course, that doesn't stop the chains from leaning out even more to pare their losses on the front store side. Thoughts?
I graduated in 2009 and it was a nightmare trying to find a job. Except for very rural areas, retail and hospitals had hiring freezes or didn't want to deal with new grads. I don't have exact numbers but my classmates were all stressed and going through the same thing. I got my first call back for an interview literally the weekend of my graduation.

The only thing we as pharmacists can do is elect members to APhA, state associations and maybe the boards on a platform of stopping this bubble from getting worse.

True, but as long as the big chains are allowed a seat as these same tables, even those associations are useless.

Congrats to pharmacy being the only profession on SDN with its own job market forum

True, but as long as the big chains are allowed a seat as these same tables, even those associations are useless.
That's why I love North Dakota. They don't put up with the crap with chains.

Good morning, it seems that i am unable to post a thread here for some reason or another, is there anyway I can do so?

Congrats to pharmacy being the only profession on SDN with its own job market forum

None of the members wanted this, only a mod.

You're in the only health profession with a job market crisis. Congrats!

None of the members wanted this, only a mod.

Only 1 mod wanted it? No chain of command? No hundreds of complaints of pre-pharms and pharmacists sick of the same talk on the market that’s posted before and after you clock in to your job?

That selfish mod!

Only 1 mod wanted it? No chain of command? No hundreds of complaints of pre-pharms and pharmacists sick of the same talk on the market that’s posted before and after you clock in to your job?

That selfish mod!
I’m a pharmacist and I’m not sick of the same talk about the market. After all, the landscape is ever- changing and SDN/Reddit are the two platforms to actually vent about things like this. To censor/merge things is doing the profession a disservice - just think of what empiric evidence someone can point to if say, a professor or an APhA president asked them what they think of the job market. Which argument is more compelling: “Go to SDN and Reddit and you will find that 90% of the threads are about saturation” or “Check out the job market forum / Biweekly career thread on SDN/Reddit”?

I’m a pharmacist and I’m not sick of the same talk about the market.

We know. Your username gives it away.

Instead of casting your nets in all the forums of the same question and broad topic, why don’t you instead speak in specifics of the field that we all can read about? How many hours you work? What metric do you have? How much has your wages changed? What about retail has changed for you? I’d love to read it!

Or, call me crazy, why not actually answer basic questions from pre-pharms WITH specific experiences?

If your gonna vent at least make it interesting.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why corporate won against us lowly pharmacists.

Your in the only health profession with a job market crisis. Congrats!

That selfish mod!

If so many people wanted this then why wasn't "do nothing" an option in that poll? We all know the answer, cause it would have gotten the most votes and that's not what the mods wanted.

If so many people wanted this then why wasn't "do nothing" an option in that poll? We all know the answer, cause it would have gotten the most votes and that's not what the mods wanted.
Because we’re playing a carnival game. On the surface it looks fair but your real chances of winning (and especially winning big) are slim to none.

The micromanagement here is getting out of hand, I wish people could just post what they wanted and not be watched by big brother all the time. There's no freedom of speech anymore, even on an anonymous forum.

Was that suppose to be a secret? Of course all people in walks of life wanna do nothing (just look at your job and the market)! These days, we can’t turn forums into a teenage chat room and “do nothing.” If you wanna repeat the same things, we ain’t stopping you, we just can’t let you put peanut butter in the cereal aisle.

Because we’re playing a carnival game. On the surface it looks fair but your real chances of winning (and especially winning big) are slim to none.

Sounds like a new quote for the pharmacy job market. We’ve talked on this before yes?

The micromanagement here is getting out of hand, I wish people could just post what they wanted and not be watched by big brother all the time. There's no freedom of speech anymore, even on an anonymous forum.

1) People still post what they want.

2) If people aren’t watched users scream “Troll!” “Spam!” “Oh no things unrelated-to-the-topic!”

3) Here’s the Freedom of speech: You type, people read, it’s free.

You can type why you're miserable going to work or how happy you are for getting a paycheck and people will read! Even if it’s degrading or high moments of a career. How it’s “placed” and “moved” is up to you as the user and your wording.

By the way users, get a straw because the market still sucks.

Reminding pre pharmers every other day that the market is saturated isn’t a bad thing. Most corporate companies and DM’s remind their RPH too. It’s scare tactics..and it is 100% legit because the market is saturated.

Why should we sugar coat things? A lot of us are trying to do these kids a favor and ensure they don’t make the WRONG decision. Who wants to graduate with $200k loans and be unable to find a job? It’s real and if I was in the shoes of a pre-pharmer, I would want to know. I maybe wouldn’t make my decision off of 3-6 people screaming no jobs, but I would definitely question it.

It’s all related man. Pre-pharmacy, job market, etc etc. Another reason we didn’t need the job market forum to disguise the truth and reality of the situation.

Reactions: 3 users
Reminding pre pharmers every other day that the market is saturated isn’t a bad thing. Most corporate companies and DM’s remind their RPH too. It’s scare tactics..and it is 100% legit because the market is saturated.

Why should we sugar coat things? A lot of us are trying to do these kids a favor and ensure they don’t make the WRONG decision. Who wants to graduate with $200k loans and be unable to find a job? It’s real and if I was in the shoes of a pre-pharmer, I would want to know. I maybe wouldn’t make my decision off of 3-6 people screaming no jobs, but I would definitely question it.

It’s all related man. Pre-pharmacy, job market, etc etc. Another reason we didn’t need the job market forum to disguise the truth and reality of the situation.

Agreed. We can save these young people's lives by keeping them from going into a ton of debt with a dead end (i.e. risk of no job).
That's practically a suicide, and I don't think I'm overstating.
We the pharmacists are doing ourselves a favor too; I'll take any small effort to reduce the saturation, one pre-pharm at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Agreed. We can save these young people's lives by keeping them from going into a ton of debt with a dead end (i.e. risk of no job).
That's practically a suicide, and I don't think I'm overstating.
We the pharmacists are doing ourselves a favor too; I'll take any small effort to reduce the saturation, one pre-pharm at a time.
QUITE the group of martyrs we have on this forum. :eyebrow:

Verify new medication orders, prepare a batch or two of medications, handle any stat issues. There's no sleeping allowed.

We would typically have a very slow period midday through the night. My old job was at a fairly small hospital, but we were high acuity and required 24/7 pharmacy coverage. Smaller places can get by without overnight coverage, while others will require multiple pharmacists.

Who pays 225$ an hour for a pharmacist. when the field has so many new graduates? what did i miss here......? hospitalist? what does that even mean? lol. Your literally the first pharmacist i have ever heard of making plastic surgeon money.

Who pays 225$ an hour for a pharmacist. when the field has so many new graduates? what did i miss here......? hospitalist? what does that even mean? lol. Your literally the first pharmacist i have ever heard of making plastic surgeon money.

A hospitalist is a doctor. Specifically one that works in a hospital.

The highest hourly rate I've seen for a night shift pharmacist is around 90/hr, and that's after calculating the rate increase from getting paid 80 for 70 hrs worked. (And no, this isn't California. It's in the southeast where salaries are generally lower)

Last edited:
I didn’t. But I know that one of the schools I applied to accepts people with PCAT in ~30 range percentile. The interview is just there as a part of the procedure. Yes, it was to weed out bad candidates, but that’s few years a go. Now, if you were invited for an interview, 90% you will be accepted.

You can check by Google any pharmacy school and put statistics at the end then analyze the stats yourself.

By the way, I have 3.7 prereq GPA. I came in unprepared for one section and got **** score on that section but still end up with ~90 percentile PCAT.
Hopefully you did not do the fast track program or early decision. those incentives only benefit the schools, not you.