Pharmacy labor supply and demand. How can everyone help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know, right? Where are the free bags of cocaine?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I took them all. I deserved them after birthin' all these Medicaid babies!

Members don't see this ad.

No need for hyperbole, I am sure we can all agree that money spent to help the poor is wasted and that money should be funneled to the rich in the form of tax breaks. Excuse me, I meant to say job creators.

I am very saddened by your advice.
Do you know how saturated the job market is right now?
Like, are there two pharmacists for each job opening? Three?

Go to college and get a 4 year general biology, chemistry, or other hard science degree + gain research experience. From there, make the jump to pharmacy, or other career path that you may have discovered along the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to college and get a 4 year general biology, chemistry, or other hard science degree + gain research experience. From there, make the jump to pharmacy, or other career path that you may have discovered along the way.
Too long & too much debt.
I love Pharmacy, but I can't justify putting my family through that much.
If I were to make a decision for Pharmacy, I would go preferably o-6 or 2+4.

there are reasons why so many poor people are smoking, drinking, and/or using drugs. Mental health care, including substance abuse social services, needs a makeover. It's easy to pass judgment when we know nothing about the situation. The problem is, is that the government tries to alleviate the symptoms of an underlying problem and they aren't very successful.

I am not passing judgement on the reason they use detrimental substances. However, when someone uses their kids' ketchup soup as an excuse for trying to avoid consequences - I do have to question their priorities. I think you may be taking my post out of context (and I may be reading too much into yours). I was pointing out that not all moms who can't afford food for their kids make reasonable choices with their money, which is probably a key contributor to the end problem of kids with no food. It isn't always his or her choice, and in some cases it is an impossible choice, but it isn't okay to take personal responsibility completely out of the equation either.

While the issue of children's poverty in a first world country is alarming, I think you've alluded to a point that would be well taken. No matter how much we help, there will continue be a small subset of people who are unable to function in society (or who function poorly). Until we figure out how to integrate and care for all people - and I do believe that caring for each member is a societal responsibility - we will continue to hear the ketchup soup story.

While I take the pragmatic stance, I also believe there is a societal model out there that will reach this goal. The question is whether we, collectively, have the benevolent ingenuity - and the stomach - to make the changes necessary.

I could have phrased the post you're responding to more delicately - I should have avoided the phrase "those people" and thrown a few more qualifiers in there. I suppose I was simply trying to keep the conversation grounded. There is a reality, and I suppose it is shocking for some people to see it on the BBC, but it's important to understand that under every statistic, (societal) systemic failure, & sad story, there is a person, for better or worse.

Last edited:
Change.org seems to do wonders when it comes to changing anything people don't like. Let's all start a petition to either raise the standards of admission to pharmacy school or lower the number of pharmacy schools opening up (even though they are already too much). This probably won't change anything but it's worth a try.

since we talk about change.org consider signing my cause too, in the sig