Pharmacy shortage in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pincho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure theres' probably already a lot of posts. I heard that the shortage of pharmacists will still be up there, but what about new york city? Does anyone have any links or solid proof that maybe nyc might be over saturated with pharmacists in the near future or even now?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure theres' probably already a lot of posts. I heard that the shortage of pharmacists will still be up there, but what about new york city? Does anyone have any links or solid proof that maybe nyc might be over saturated with pharmacists in the near future or even now?

yes. Starting hours in NYC is 30 instead of 40, and there are no sign on bonuses. That and floater pharmacists right now are not getting enough hours.

You wont find any links or solid proof because there is no reason for an organization to take a survey or do a study on this.

hmmm... so that would mean that in a few years, new pharmacy graduates would have a hard time finding a job...

Members don't see this ad :)
Some are having trouble now finding a job

hmmm... so that would mean that in a few years, new pharmacy graduates would have a hard time finding a job...

Definitely. People are having trouble finding jobs right now. Once Touro starts graduating its students, there will be even more graduates in an already over saturated city.

That is why I consider most pharmacy students in Touro lower tier. What good can they possibly provide for this profession by going to a new pharmacy school in an over saturated market. They hurt the profession more than help it by giving ammos to the chains to decrease quality of life. If they cant get into other pharmacy schools, revisit their apps and try again next year.

Definitely. People are having trouble finding jobs right now. Once Touro starts graduating its students, there will be even more graduates in an already over saturated city.

That is why I consider most pharmacy students in Touro lower tier. What good can they possibly provide for this profession by going to a new pharmacy school in an over saturated market. They hurt the profession more than help it by giving ammos to the chains to decrease quality of life. If they cant get into other pharmacy schools, revisit their apps and try again next year.

Why can't the ACPE & AACP get a handle on all the new Pharmacy Schools opening up? They also need to limit spots in existent schools. The point is not to artificially create demand, but at the same time, it is tragic to see well-trained professionals not able to have greater flexibility in career choice. Increased flexibility allows the health care professional to utilize their talent/knowledge in a setting that is most conducive to their skillset and thus improve outcomes for patients.

Why can't the ACPE & AACP get a handle on all the new Pharmacy Schools opening up? They also need to limit spots in existent schools. The point is not to artificially create demand, but at the same time, it is tragic to see well-trained professionals not able to have greater flexibility in career choice. Increased flexibility allows the health care professional to utilize their talent/knowledge in a setting that is most conducive to their skillset and thus improve outcomes for patients.

Its because the precedent has already been set by other professional accredation board. If they try to limit new pharmacy schools from opening, they will have a lot of monopoly lawsuits. On the other hand, they do try to limit spots by requiring a certain facualty/student ratio.

Its because the precedent has already been set by other professional accredation board. If they try to limit new pharmacy schools from opening, they will have a lot of monopoly lawsuits. On the other hand, they do try to limit spots by requiring a certain facualty/student ratio.

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but are you suggesting that the Pharmacy Education community has no ability whatsoever to self-regulate and ensure standards?

What is to stop 1000 schools from opening up? Given the number of applicants, I'm sure there are enough students willing to attend.

You consider NY touro pharmacy students a lower tier, because you think all the students there will hurt the profession more than help it?! This is 100% false. Your conclusion was made based on the notion of fear. (This is the exact same fear engendered by our poor economy)

Fear of an excess of pharmacy graduates taking up all the good pharmacy jobs. I can understand your concern on saturation of jobs in NYC, but I disagree with your statement that touro students will hurt the profession more than help it.

The growing U.S. elderly population require more pharmacists now and in the future. This is why most pharmacy schools are opening in communities and locations where there is a demand for pharmacists.

From what I've heard, Touro's rotation sites will be limited to a few locations and won't be stepping over the toes of other pharmacy schools in NYC. Most of these rotation, IPPE/APE/ APPE sites are located in the underserved communities (Harlem) where the conditions are not always the best. Thus, probably the least desirable pharmacy locations to work or intern at.

In addition, not all Touro students will be searching for a job in New York. I believe a good chunk of the first class is from out of state. Thus, a higher percentage of out of state students admitted, the more likely these students will leave New York after graduation.

And even if these students do compete for jobs and residencies in NYC, what do you have to fear from the so called "lower tier" students?. If you truly believe Touro students are lower tier or inferior, you wouldn't fear them taking up all the jobs in the first place. (Bottom line, Touro's existence is not to take up everyone's rotation sites and saturate the pharmacy profession in NYC).

The pharmacy profession and all other professions temporarily look bleak and saturated, because of the poor U.S. and global economies. When our economic conditions improve in 2 or 3 years, there will be more growth and more pharmacy jobs available. Until then, quit putting majority of the blame on new schools and their students. And take a look at how the poor economy is affecting the pharmacy profession and all other professions.

Lastly, I believe a pharmacy student or pharmacist should be judged based on his or her own professional desires, merits, and abilities. And not based solely on what school he or she graduated from.

Last edited:
You consider NY touro pharmacy students a lower tier, because you think all the students there will hurt the profession more than help it?! This is 100% false. Your conclusion was made based on the notion of fear. (This is the exact same fear engendered by our poor economy)

Fear of an excess of pharmacy graduates taking up all the good pharmacy jobs. I can understand your concern on saturation of jobs in NYC, but I disagree with your statement that touro students will hurt the profession more than help it.

The growing U.S. elderly population require more pharmacists now and in the future. This is why most pharmacy schools are opening in communities and locations where there is a demand for pharmacists.

From what I've heard, Touro's rotation sites will be limited to a few locations and won't be stepping over the toes of other pharmacy schools in NYC. Most of these rotation, IPPE/APE/ APPE sites are located in the underserved communities (Harlem) where the conditions are not always the best. Thus, probably the least desirable pharmacy locations to work or intern at.

In addition, not all Touro students will be searching for a job in New York. I believe a good chunk of the first class is from out of state. Thus, a higher percentage of out of state students admitted, the more likely these students will leave New York after graduation.

And even if these students do compete for jobs and residencies in NYC, what do you have to fear from the so called "lower tier" students?. If you truly believe Touro students are lower tier or inferior, you wouldn't fear them taking up all the jobs in the first place. (Bottom line, Touro's existence is not to take up everyone's rotation sites and saturate the pharmacy profession in NYC).

The pharmacy profession and all other professions temporarily look bleak and saturated, because of the poor U.S. and global economies. When our economic conditions improve in 2 or 3 years, there will be more growth and more pharmacy jobs available. Until then, quit putting majority of the blame on new schools and their students. And take a look at how the poor economy is affecting the pharmacy profession and all other professions.

Lastly, I believe a pharmacy student or pharmacist should be judged based on his or her own professional desires, merits, and abilities. And not based solely on what school he or she graduated from.

Where do you go to pharmacy school?

Regardless of job markets or not, it is a lower tier school. Besides being automatically lower tier since it is a new school and hence have no research fundings, its requirement sucks! Heck, the school in general has a taboo name along with it. Touro law school is considered to be the WORST law school in NYS region. Its law degree is more worthless than toilet paper. Touro school of Osteopathic medicine is sub par too. They are having trouble finding rotation spots for their students for clinical rotation. Touro's DPT program has the worst failure rates versus other NYS's DPT programs.

Lets just give it what it is. Touro is known for being a diploma mill that makes its money off sub par students. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, looks like a duck, then it is a freaking duck. Why else would you guys apply to Touro when there are 5 other excellent pharmacy schools in NYS with established alumni, and many other more in the region?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=543588 Look at this post. Many of the students got accepted because Touro's requirement were waivered so they can get their first class. Most of their successful applicants according to their website has a GPA of 2.75 or higher. . .

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582199

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=599700

so i am going to be graduating in may, applying for a NYS license, and considering another state to license in.. which state would have the best job opportunities?? cali? seattle? those are my 2 favorite choices cause i'd like to live there as well as work there.

Members don't see this ad :)
so.. overall NYC in general will be over saturated with pharmacists...

Regardless of job markets or not, it is a lower tier school. Besides being automatically lower tier since it is a new school and hence have no research fundings, its requirement sucks! Heck, the school in general has a taboo name along with it. Touro law school is considered to be the WORST law school in NYS region. Its law degree is more worthless than toilet paper. Touro school of Osteopathic medicine is sub par too. They are having trouble finding rotation spots for their students for clinical rotation. Touro's DPT program has the worst failure rates versus other NYS's DPT programs.

Lets just give it what it is. Touro is known for being a diploma mill that makes its money off sub par students. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, looks like a duck, then it is a freaking duck. Why else would you guys apply to Touro when there are 5 other excellent pharmacy schools in NYS with established alumni, and many other more in the region?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=543588 Look at this post. Many of the students got accepted because Touro's requirement were waivered so they can get their first class. Most of their successful applicants according to their website has a GPA of 2.75 or higher. . .

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582199

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=599700

I found your reasoning egregious and completely erroneous. Before you start judging something you clearly do not know anything about since: 1. you do not attend that school and 2. only base your findings on what others say, I suggest you take a look at what you are currently doing and where did you go to pharmacy school. I will tell you that there is no perfect pharmacy school in the tri-state area. All of these schools has glitches that needs repair. St. John's had almost lost their accreditation 5 years ago along with LIU-Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy. You say Touro is a lower tier school? Yes, for the time being it will be on the bottom of the todum pole because it was just established. The reason for its establishment is because they are doing what other schools in the region are not doing! You go to pharmacy conventions like SNPhA or APhA and you see what the students in other states are doing for their communities. These students here are not doing **** for anyone in the community. That is why the federal government took away the forgivable loan program for pharmacy and medical students because they deemed the program of working in communities lacking health care ineffective. Why? Because they give a rat's behind about working in the ghetto. I applaud Touro College of Pharmacy for stepping up to the plate and making their students actively involved in the community settings. What are you doing for your community as a pharmacist? If you look at the students are currently graduating from these schools in the tri-state area, you would shake your head and say "what were these schools thinking in accepting them in their program" I have been in pharmacy for 9 years. I have seen many things throughout that time in the retail and hospital setting and Touro College of Pharmacy is the first positive thing I have seen yet and I will give my complete support in this school advancing and becoming part of the elite. Instead of bashing the school and possibly hurting the students that currently attend there with your asinine remarks, you should reach out and ask what can you do to help that school grow. On that note, I will leave you with this: People that lives in glass houses can't throw stones. Thank You!

I found your reasoning egregious and completely erroneous. Before you start judging something you clearly do not know anything about since: 1. you do not attend that school and 2. only base your findings on what others say, I suggest you take a look at what you are currently doing and where did you go to pharmacy school. I will tell you that there is no perfect pharmacy school in the tri-state area. All of these schools has glitches that needs repair. St. John's had almost lost their accreditation 5 years ago along with LIU-Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy. You say Touro is a lower tier school? Yes, for the time being it will be on the bottom of the todum pole because it was just established. The reason for its establishment is because they are doing what other schools in the region are not doing! You go to pharmacy conventions like SNPhA or APhA and you see what the students in other states are doing for their communities. These students here are not doing **** for anyone in the community. That is why the federal government took away the forgivable loan program for pharmacy and medical students because they deemed the program of working in communities lacking health care ineffective. Why? Because they give a rat's behind about working in the ghetto. I applaud Touro College of Pharmacy for stepping up to the plate and making their students actively involved in the community settings. What are you doing for your community as a pharmacist? If you look at the students are currently graduating from these schools in the tri-state area, you would shake your head and say "what were these schools thinking in accepting them in their program" I have been in pharmacy for 9 years. I have seen many things throughout that time in the retail and hospital setting and Touro College of Pharmacy is the first positive thing I have seen yet and I will give my complete support in this school advancing and becoming part of the elite. Instead of bashing the school and possibly hurting the students that currently attend there with your asinine remarks, you should reach out and ask what can you do to help that school grow. On that note, I will leave you with this: People that lives in glass houses can't throw stones. Thank You!

And ultimately... you conclude with me that the school is lower tier. I am confused at the point of your rant.

so would LIU be considered a "low" tier?

And ultimately... you conclude with me that the school is lower tier. I am confused at the point of your rant.

Hey,

You initially said, "most pharmacy students in Touro [are] lower tier." Sure, Touro may have lower acceptance standards, but I wouldn't say the students themselves are on a lower tier.

I do agree, however, that Touro is a low tier pharmacy school.

Comparing the curriculums between LIU and Touro, I'm completely sure that Touro has a much, much tougher curriculum. A lot of students I talked to at LIU were surprised when I told them we were already doing at Touro.

Touro's rotation sites are pretty much going to be in Manhattan, Harlem, Northern New Jersey, Westchester, and probably some Western Connecticut. I was hoping to do rotations in Long Island because those rotation sites pretty much put me going in the same direction as the rush hour traffic.

Hey,

You initially said, "most pharmacy students in Touro [are] lower tier." Sure, Touro may have lower acceptance standards, but I wouldn't say the students themselves are on a lower tier.

I do agree, however, that Touro is a low tier pharmacy school.

Really? Quote me on that. Where did I say that? What I did say was why would most students go to Touro when there are 5 excellent schools out there? Which noone btw has replied to me. I asked in pre pharmacy boards before and most of the guys agree with me that the reason they are applying is they couldnt get into any other pharmcy school. Sparda for example lives in Long island but chose not to go to either LIU or SJU which would be closer.

You guys are all saying the same thing that Touro is a lower tier pharmacy school which is what I have been saying. I have no idea what you guys are trying to prove in respond to my post. Are you guys seriously thinking that you can debate Touro being a diploma mill or that it is a lower tier (even though I said that it is automatically lower tier because of lack of research?).

Last edited:
Comparing the curriculums between LIU and Touro, I'm completely sure that Touro has a much, much tougher curriculum. A lot of students I talked to at LIU were surprised when I told them we were already doing at Touro.

Touro's rotation sites are pretty much going to be in Manhattan, Harlem, Northern New Jersey, Westchester, and probably some Western Connecticut. I was hoping to do rotations in Long Island because those rotation sites pretty much put me going in the same direction as the rush hour traffic.

And what rotations are they? They nowhere offer the same degree as LIU or SJU. Our rotations ranges from pharmacy informatics, ER, ICU, VA, poison control centers, and whatever electives you can think of. Most of these rotations are alumni based which is non existance with Touro.

And what rotations are they? They nowhere offer the same degree as LIU or SJU. Our rotations ranges from pharmacy informatics, ER, ICU, VA, poison control centers, and whatever electives you can think of. Most of these rotations are alumni based which is non existance with Touro.

Dunno yet, I have rotations this summer. I think it's going to be one month at a community pharmacy and one month at a government office related to public health or poison control.

Funny how you saw alumni based. My boss graduated from St. Johns but he is a preceptor for LIU.

Thats werid because both SJU and LIU have only been accrediated for 6 years as a PharmD program (Even though they have many established alumnis with BS before that).

Even then, talk about ad hominem attacks? Besides the fact that you probably know nothing about each school, SJU does a lot more community service than Touro does. That and opening a school in a ghetto neighborhood (it really isnt that ghetto) does not mean jack as its needs are completely satisfied by two pharmacy schools in the city already.

Thats werid because both SJU and LIU have only been accrediated for 6 years as a PharmD program (Even though they have many established alumnis with BS before that).

Even then, talk about ad hominem attacks? Besides the fact that you probably know nothing about each school, SJU does a lot more community service than Touro does. That and opening a school in a ghetto neighborhood (it really isnt that ghetto) does not mean jack as its needs are completely satisfied by two pharmacy schools in the city already.

I'll give you that, Harlem is definitely not as ghetto as it used to be. In fact, I'd rather be walking around at night near Touro than walking around at night near LIU. Either way, nothing is going to happen to you unless you are really oblivious to your surroundings. Common sense, don't walk on an unoccupied street. So yeah, at night, take Touro's 125th St exit rather than the 124th St exit. 124th st is pretty much nothing there (if you are alone there and a predator notices, you are screwed unless you are armed...like me), 125th is lights everywhere, the Apollo theater, people hawking cell phones.

Really? Quote me on that. Where did I say that? What I did say was why would most students go to Touro when there are 5 excellent schools out there? Which noone btw has replied to me. I asked in pre pharmacy boards before and most of the guys agree with me that the reason they are applying is they couldnt get into any other pharmcy school. Sparda for example lives in Long island but chose not to go to either LIU or SJU which would be closer.

You guys are all saying the same thing that Touro is a lower tier pharmacy school which is what I have been saying. I have no idea what you guys are trying to prove in respond to my post. Are you guys seriously thinking that you can debate Touro being a diploma mill or that it is a lower tier (even though I said that it is automatically lower tier because of lack of research?).

You may not have specifically said that Touro students are lower tier, but your message is implying so by stating that Touro has lower standards in accepting students, ie. 2.75 average GPA.
My guess is that you were a SJU 0-6 program student, am I right? If so, you entered their program with guaranteed entry into the professional phase with a 2.75 average or better requirement. So, if that's the case, what makes you think that the graduating SJU students who squeaked by with the minimal requirements are of any higher caliber than an entering Touro student with similar GPA.
Unfortunately, many students accepted to Touro may not have gotten an acceptance to LIU or UB due to LIMITED TRANSFER SEATS, and could not apply to SJU as a transfer. This limits their options in NY, and I can understand that if pharmacy is their goal and they want to stay in NY, they are willling to attend a non-accredited school and hope for the best (fully aware that most schools do become accredited with their first graduating class.)
This is their choice, and none of your business. Just because you most likely knew what you wanted right out of high school (and were able to sit pretty in a 0-6 with no worries of competing for a seat, or excelling on the PCAT exam) does not give you the right to put down others in a situation that you're unfamiliar with.
SJU's curriculum puts heavy emphasis on philosophy, religion and ethics so that each pharm student is prepared to understand and accept an extremely diverse NYC population. SJU is known for not only graduating a pharm class of high aptitude, but also a class with morals and compassion. You must have failed in that area, as your previous posts show nothing but a lousy attitude, ignorance and racism. Thank god you chose not to teach, as you did many students a big favor!!!

That is not implicit. It explicitly says, and I quoted in my previous post, "most pharmacy students in Touro [are] lower tier."

:mad::mad:

CHANGE THE DANG TITLE OF THIS THREAD. IT AINT ABOUT "PHARMACY" SHORTAGE. PHARMACY SHORTAGE MEANS THERE AREN'T ENOUGH PHARMACIES. THIS THREAD IS EITHER ABOUT PHARMACIST SHORTAGE OR PHARMACY JOB SHORTAGE! DANG!!!!

z, could you make that post any larger? I don't have my glasses on and can't read your small font. :smuggrin:

ИЗМЕНИТЕ НАЗВАНИЕ dang ЭТОЙ РЕЗЬБЫ. ОНО aint О " pharmacy" НЕДОСТАТОК. СЕРЕДИНЫ ТАМ aren' НЕДОСТАТКА ФАРМАЦИИ; t ДОСТАТОЧНЫЕ ФАРМАЦИИ. ЭТА РЕЗЬБА ИЛИ О НЕДОСТАТКЕ АПТЕКАРЯ ИЛИ НЕДОСТАТКЕ ВАКАНСИЙ ФАРМАЦИИ! Dang!!!!

:mad::mad:

CHANGE THE DANG TITLE OF THIS THREAD. IT AINT ABOUT "PHARMACY" SHORTAGE. PHARMACY SHORTAGE MEANS THERE AREN'T ENOUGH PHARMACIES. THIS THREAD IS EITHER ABOUT PHARMACIST SHORTAGE OR PHARMACY JOB SHORTAGE! DANG!!!!

WHAT???? I Can't hear you...Speak a little louder next time I am a trifle deaf in this ear.....

ИЗМЕНИТЕ НАЗВАНИЕ dang ЭТОЙ РЕЗЬБЫ.

Если ты думаешь, это был русский, ты глубоко не прав. :D If you think that was Russian, you are oh so wrong. :D

Если ты думаешь, это был русский, ты глубоко не прав. :D If you think that was Russian, you are oh so wrong. :D

Why did you say it twice??

Because speaking a language that not everyone in the company speaks and not translating is rude. :p Not to mention, you didn't exactly give off impression that you know a world of Russian. :laugh:

I really don't. But I'm in love with a Croatian.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_f2xU_h02A[/YOUTUBE]

You may not have specifically said that Touro students are lower tier, but your message is implying so by stating that Touro has lower standards in accepting students, ie. 2.75 average GPA.
My guess is that you were a SJU 0-6 program student, am I right? If so, you entered their program with guaranteed entry into the professional phase with a 2.75 average or better requirement. So, if that's the case, what makes you think that the graduating SJU students who squeaked by with the minimal requirements are of any higher caliber than an entering Touro student with similar GPA.
Unfortunately, many students accepted to Touro may not have gotten an acceptance to LIU or UB due to LIMITED TRANSFER SEATS, and could not apply to SJU as a transfer. This limits their options in NY, and I can understand that if pharmacy is their goal and they want to stay in NY, they are willling to attend a non-accredited school and hope for the best (fully aware that most schools do become accredited with their first graduating class.)
This is their choice, and none of your business. Just because you most likely knew what you wanted right out of high school (and were able to sit pretty in a 0-6 with no worries of competing for a seat, or excelling on the PCAT exam) does not give you the right to put down others in a situation that you're unfamiliar with.
SJU's curriculum puts heavy emphasis on philosophy, religion and ethics so that each pharm student is prepared to understand and accept an extremely diverse NYC population. SJU is known for not only graduating a pharm class of high aptitude, but also a class with morals and compassion. You must have failed in that area, as your previous posts show nothing but a lousy attitude, ignorance and racism. Thank god you chose not to teach, as you did many students a big favor!!!

Apparently I am a racist now also. This just keeps on coming and coming.

Apparently I am a racist now also. This just keeps on coming and coming.

Oh, yeah! Doesn't take a genius to get that vibe when looking over some of your numerous rants on previous posts.

By the way, did you ever get any hot asian girls to pimp? :rolleyes:

D'Youville? That's the name of an actual school somewhere? Our profession is hosed.
You can also get your Doctor of Chiropractic degree at this highly reputable school. "A patient is never CURED, a cured patient does not come in for their regular adjustments" - chiropractics business model for voodoo practice.

Let me break it down.

We all know new schools (including Touro) are lower tiered when compared to the candidate, and fully accredited schools.

Sure, new schools on average do accept a higher percentage of students with lower stats than fully accredited schools. Why? Because students with higher stats usually receive multiple acceptances and they do prefer an established and fully accredited school. That leaves the new schools with everyone else; many who received only one or two acceptance(s).

This is a common trend for new schools. Most of us already know this.

What many of us have an issue with is not the fact Touro is a new school and have much to improve in the coming years; hence, usually, considered a lower tier school.

It is when you assume "most" Touro graduates are going to do more harm to the profession than good that is disconcerting to me. This attack ultimately puts most of the blame only on the students when we all know the school was established by members of the pharmacy profession who graduated from other New York Pharmacy schools.

If you're going to tell prospective students to retake classes and apply to another school, why don't you call Touro and urge them to close down. While you're at it, you can also call Rutgers and tell them to tone it down on the number of graduates they produce. (200 to 250?)

My point is complain all you want. That's fine. I do it all the time. Just know when you talk the talk; only to put down a person or a group of people, make sure you understand people don't like to get generalized. As I stated before. A good pharmacist or pharmacy student should be judged on his or her own abilities, desires, and merits.

Having said that, I know you've read a lot of negative posts regarding Touro programs. Unless you've worked with a few Touro NY college of pharmacy students, and observed their work, how do you know "most" of them are inferior to their colleagues in the other schools?

Well, you don't know yet, because they haven't started their summer IPPEs. Before the students had the opportunities to show everyone what they got, you are already writing them off.

Overall, your reasoning is Since Most or all new schools are lower tier, then most of the students who graduate from new schools won't make good pharmacists?
Ultimately, these pharmacists from new schools are doing more harm to the pharmacy profession than good?? Absolutely false!

IMO, what I think you are trying to convey is: "Given our poor economic conditions, pharmacy graduates from new and older New York pharmacy schools will both contribute to an already saturated NYC pharmacy job market. The increasing over supply of pharmacists in NYC can potentially do more harm than good to the prospects of finding a good pharmacy job in NYC."

Bottom Line: Unless you've had experience working with the school, its students and its graduates, One should Not assume that a particular Lower tier School will almost always produce lower Tier pharmacy Students and poor pharmacists.

Last edited:
Let me break it down.

We all know new schools (including Touro) are lower tiered when compared to the candidate, and fully accredited schools.

Sure, new schools on average do accept a higher percentage of students with lower stats than fully accredited schools. Why? Because students with higher stats usually receive multiple acceptances and they do prefer an established and fully accredited school. That leaves the new schools with everyone else; many who received only one or two acceptance(s).

What many of us have an issue with is not the fact Touro is a new school and have much to improve in the coming years; hence, usually, considered a lower tier school.

It is when you assume "most" Touro graduates are going to do more harm to the profession than good that is disconcerting to me. This attack ultimately puts most of the blame only on the students when we all know the school was established by members of the pharmacy profession who graduated from other New York Pharmacy schools.

If you're going to tell prospective students to retake classes and apply to another school, why don't you call Touro and urge them to close down. While you're at it, you can also call Rutgers and tell them to tone it down on the number of graduates they produce. (200 to 250?)

My point is complain all you want. That's fine. I do it all the time. Just know when you talk the talk; only to put down a person or a group of people, make sure you understand people don't like to get generalized. As I stated before. A good pharmacist or pharmacy student should be judged on his or her own abilities, desires, and merits.

Having said that, I know you've read a lot of negative posts regarding Touro programs. Unless you've worked with a few Touro NY college of pharmacy students, and observed their work, how do you know "most" of them are inferior to their colleagues in the other schools?

Well, you don't know yet, because they haven't started their summer IPPEs. Before the students had the opportunities to show everyone what they got, you are already writing them off.

Overall, your reasoning is Since Most or all new schools are lower tier, then most of the students who graduate from new schools won't make good pharmacists?
Ultimately, these pharmacists from new schools are doing more harm to the pharmacy profession than good?? Absolutely false!

IMO, what I think you are trying to convey is: "Given our poor economic conditions, pharmacy graduates from new and older New York pharmacy schools will both contribute to an already saturated NYC pharmacy job market. The increasing over supply of pharmacists in NYC can potentially do more harm than good to the prospects of finding a good pharmacy job in NYC."

Bottom Line: Unless you've had experience working with the school, its students and its graduates, One should Not assume that a particular Lower tier School will almost always produce lower Tier pharmacy Students and poor pharmacists.

Let me make my point clearer even though you already understood me. I hope you get my point because I am actually saving your ass.

Lets just say that we keep on allowing diploma mills to continue opening up new schools. So far, NYS has been adding one new pharmacy school each year (with St Johns Fisher, Touro, and now the new school in Buffalo). I am not even considering the new schools opening up in Penn, Mass, and NJ. Lets just say that this trend keeps on continuing on (and god forbid, one or two more schools in the city). What do you think this would mean for yourself who would be graduating with a 6 figure debt, and to the profession of pharmacy? Does it make the profession better or worst? Why?

I would refer you look into the MBA and law professions to come up with a decent answer. Forget everything I said in the past and tell me what you think.

Let me break it down.

Well said:claps: