pharmacyexam question HELP (CS class determination) is it math???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doe_eyed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So if this is blatantly obvious I am going to be very embarrassed. I'm either overanalyzing this to the extreme...or dumb as a rock. Here is the question:

A pharmacist is adding 1000 mg of pure codeine powder to 100 cc of Tylenol with Codeine Elixir (120 mg/12 mg/5 cc). The resultant mixture should be classified as:

Schedule V

Schedule II

Schedule III

Schedule IV

I would LOVE an explanation on how to solve this if it does require a calculator (like I believe it does!)

Thank you,

doe_eyed

Members don't see this ad.

I think the answer would be Schedule III according to CFR Title 21 (Clickable link for reference) which states for schedule III that "Not more than 1.8 grams of codeine per 100 milliliters or not more than 90 milligrams per dosage unit, with an equal or greater quantity of an isoquinoline alkaloid of opium".

If you do the math, in that 100 ml is 240mg (12mg/5ml x 100 ml) of codeine and adding 1000 mg of codeine to that 100 cc them makes it 1240mg or 1.24 g (1000mg + 240mg = 1240mg). Since that's under 1.8 grams of codeine per 100 ml, it can be classified as Schedule III.

I think that's the answer. Anyone care to chime in?

Reactions: 1 user
I think the answer would be Schedule III according to CFR Title 21 (Clickable link for reference) which states for schedule III that "Not more than 1.8 grams of codeine per 100 milliliters or not more than 90 milligrams per dosage unit, with an equal or greater quantity of an isoquinoline alkaloid of opium".

If you do the math, in that 100 ml is 240mg (12mg/5ml x 100 ml) of codeine and adding 1000 mg of codeine to that 100 cc them makes it 1240mg or 1.24 g (1000mg + 240mg = 1240mg). Since that's under 1.8 grams of codeine per 100 ml, it can be classified as Schedule III.

I think that's the answer. Anyone care to chime in?

The math checks out so CIII looks right to me... Where can we find a list of "isoquinoline alkaloid of opium"? What are some examples of isoquinoline alkaloid of opium?

Hello,

So if this is blatantly obvious I am going to be very embarrassed. I'm either overanalyzing this to the extreme...or dumb as a rock. Here is the question:

A pharmacist is adding 1000 mg of pure codeine powder to 100 cc of Tylenol with Codeine Elixir (120 mg/12 mg/5 cc). The resultant mixture should be classified as:

Schedule V

Schedule II

Schedule III

Schedule IV

I would LOVE an explanation on how to solve this if it does require a calculator (like I believe it does!)

Thank you,

doe_eyed

Did the practice question not provide you with an answer or a key? If you clicked on Schedule III as your answer, do they tell you it's wrong?