This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AkiraShinichi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
I realized very late (senior year of college) that instead of an M.D in psychiatry I would like to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology. The biggest reason being, I would like to emphasize the psychotherapy/testing patients process of treatment rather than seeing the patient for 15 min and then prescribing medicine. While I understand that MD's in Psychiatry, who have private practices, can hold hour long sessions, I would like to focus on the behavioral portion of treatment and continue research as part of my education.

One major setback that is holding me back before applying to a Clinical Psychology program is my GPA. I am Bio psychology Major, minor in Japanese:

totGPA = 3.28 major GPA = 3.37 psych GPA = 3.71

My experiences include
  • 200 clinical hours (=140 in a neurology clinic + 50 in pediatrics)
  • President of two clubs and founder of one
  • 3.5 years of lab experience in a Neuroendocrinology lab ( 1 published paper, 2 posters, 1 undergraduate grant)
What are your suggestions in terms of how I can "make up" for my GPA? Post-bacc graduate level classes at university extensions ? A masters? ??? I also plan to take a year or two off to work as a research assistant/ technician - any opinions on that?

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Background:
I realized very late (senior year of college) that instead of an M.D in psychiatry I would like to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology. The biggest reason being, I would like to emphasize the psychotherapy/testing patients process of treatment rather than seeing the patient for 15 min and then prescribing medicine. While I understand that MD's in Psychiatry, who have private practices, can hold hour long sessions, I would like to focus on the behavioral portion of treatment and continue research as part of my education.

One major setback that is holding me back before applying to a Clinical Psychology program is my GPA. I am Bio psychology Major, minor in Japanese:

totGPA = 3.28 major GPA = 3.37 psych GPA = 3.71

My experiences include
  • 200 clinical hours (=140 in a neurology clinic + 50 in pediatrics)
  • President of two clubs and founder of one
  • 3.5 years of lab experience in a Neuroendocrinology lab ( 1 published paper, 2 posters, 1 undergraduate grant)
What are your suggestions in terms of how I can "make up" for my GPA? Post-bacc graduate level classes at university extensions ? A masters? ??? I also plan to take a year or two off to work as a research assistant/ technician - any opinions on that?

Thank You!
This WAMC subforum is meant to help those applying to medical school. I suggest you repost your question (or explore existing relevant threads) in the Clinical Psychology area of SDN, where you are more likely to find folks who have a knowledge of your specific concerns, here: Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]