This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AkiraShinichi

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Background:
I realized very late (senior year of college) that instead of an M.D in psychiatry I would like to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology. The biggest reason being, I would like to emphasize the psychotherapy/testing patients process of treatment rather than seeing the patient for 15 min and then prescribing medicine. While I understand that MD's in Psychiatry, who have private practices, can hold hour long sessions, I would like to focus on the behavioral portion of treatment and continue research as part of my education.

One major setback that is holding me back before applying to a Clinical Psychology program is my GPA. I am Bio psychology Major, minor in Japanese:

totGPA = 3.28 major GPA = 3.37 psych GPA = 3.71

My experiences include
  • 200 clinical hours (=140 in a neurology clinic + 50 in pediatrics)
  • President of two clubs and founder of one
  • 3.5 years of lab experience in a Neuroendocrinology lab ( 1 published paper, 2 posters, 1 undergraduate grant)
What are your suggestions in terms of how I can "make up" for my GPA? Post-bacc graduate level classes at university extensions ? A masters? ??? I also plan to take a year or two off to work as a research assistant/ technician - any opinions on that?

Thank You!
 
Background:
I realized very late (senior year of college) that instead of an M.D in psychiatry I would like to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology. The biggest reason being, I would like to emphasize the psychotherapy/testing patients process of treatment rather than seeing the patient for 15 min and then prescribing medicine. While I understand that MD's in Psychiatry, who have private practices, can hold hour long sessions, I would like to focus on the behavioral portion of treatment and continue research as part of my education.

One major setback that is holding me back before applying to a Clinical Psychology program is my GPA. I am Bio psychology Major, minor in Japanese:

totGPA = 3.28 major GPA = 3.37 psych GPA = 3.71

My experiences include
  • 200 clinical hours (=140 in a neurology clinic + 50 in pediatrics)
  • President of two clubs and founder of one
  • 3.5 years of lab experience in a Neuroendocrinology lab ( 1 published paper, 2 posters, 1 undergraduate grant)
What are your suggestions in terms of how I can "make up" for my GPA? Post-bacc graduate level classes at university extensions ? A masters? ??? I also plan to take a year or two off to work as a research assistant/ technician - any opinions on that?

Thank You!
This WAMC subforum is meant to help those applying to medical school. I suggest you repost your question (or explore existing relevant threads) in the Clinical Psychology area of SDN, where you are more likely to find folks who have a knowledge of your specific concerns, here: Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]