Phd vs Masters in health economics after MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F4rbod

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello dear friends,
I'm a 5th year MD/MPH student in Iran (MD is a 7-year undergrad degree here so I will finish after 2 years). also FYI we do MPH while doing MD and this doesn't extend the duration of the MD.
I have a strong interest in the topics of health economics and health-care management and policy and planning to do a degree on one of these subjects before I start my residency on IM and follow with cardiology probably.

I'm planning to apply for universities and residencies in the US when I finish my MD here, but I cannot really decide which way to go. either doing a master in one of these subjects, do an MBA, or do a Ph.D. in these subjects.

what I am looking for is not particularly doing a research only career, instead, I'm looking for using the knowledge from these disciplines in the actual management of healthcare-related businesses (either hospital or startup etc.) and also do research and clinical work alongside it.
also if I want to give some information about myself, I hold 2 medals in national medical schools olympiads, one of them gold in the field of healthcare management. I have been awarded Iran's National Elites Foundation student award. my GPAs' in both MD and MPH is higher than 90% and I have the highest GPA in my MD class. I also do have some publications with more upcoming. I do also have enough professors to give me good recommendation letters.

one more thing also is that I will definitely need financial support (either scholarship or fund etc.) for my studies in the US and this is an important factor in choosing between different options.

So my questions are :

1.which one of the graduate degrees I have pointed out would you consider best for my purposes?
2.would it be realistic for me to look for good schools with funding in the US?
3.how each of these degrees would work for my match results for my residency?
4.also if you have any more comments I would be more than happy to hear from you

Members don't see this ad.

An important question to ask yourself is do you want to practice medicine in any capacity? If so, your first priority would be matching a residency in internal medicine, then go from there depending on what opportunities are available at the institution where you matched. You should target universities with business, public health, and arts and science schools and not strictly medical institutions. Places like Harvard, Stanford and Univ of Pennsylvania or one of the large public state universities would have better opportunities for you than a place like the Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic.

If you want to work in healthcare policy, entrepreneurship, or healthcare administration, a residency may not be worth your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
An important question to ask yourself is do you want to practice medicine in any capacity? If so, your first priority would be matching a residency in internal medicine, then go from there depending on what opportunities are available at the institution where you matched. You should target universities with business, public health, and arts and science schools and not strictly medical institutions. Places like Harvard, Stanford, and Univ of Pennsylvania or one of the large public state universities would have better opportunities for you than a place like the Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic.

If you want to work in healthcare policy, entrepreneurship, or healthcare administration, a residency may not be worth your time.

thank you very much for your reply.

as I have pointed out, I want to do both health economics/entrepreneurship or administration and the clinical practice side by side and at the same time.

the problem is I will need at least 1.5 years in the USA before I can get into the match process since I have to do the USMLE exams etc.. so for that time period, I am thinking of pursuing a degree, like masters or MBA, or add another 2 years and do a Ph.D. in one of these disciplines.

and another thing is, would I have a chance for matching in institutions like Harvard or Penn with this resume and a potentially good USMLE score? (considering I am an IMG)
and would I have any chance of getting an admission and fund for Ph.D. or masters before I match and during the aforementioned time period?

as a summary, the roadmap I have is to come to the US for a master or Ph.D., do my USLME exams while doing the degree, and then match for residency.
FYI, it is not possible to even do the step 1 before I finish my school in Iran because the school wouldn't send my transcripts to ECFMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
at most universities a PhD is a minimum 5 year program. and much harder than a masters.

Get all of them. Then you'll be an MD/MPH/MS/MBA/PhD.

Holy f***.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking through the list of IM interns for Brigham and Women, Beth Israel Deaconess (MGH doesn't post up a list of its residents) and UPenn, and I see two FMG/IMGs from Australia (B&W) and Kuwait (BID). Is it possible? Sure. Likely? Probably not.

Also, you absolutely do not want to be studying for another degree while studying for Step I. That exam should take all of your dedicated effort for 4+ weeks, especially if you are an FMG and especially if it has been years since your basic science training.

Medical Residency Program - Brigham and Women's Hospital
https://www.bidmc.org/-/media/files...hash=EE215697F639804877BA9C0C65A8BFFDCA262C99

at most universities a Ph.D. is a minimum 5-year program. and much harder than a master.

I obviously do know how much time and effort it needs, I'm comparing the value/effort of these programs for "my" future career. what do i mean by career also, was mentioned in my former post if you read it.

Get all of them. Then you'll be an MD/MPH/MS/MBA/PhD.

Holy f***.

I think you misunderstand me. I do not want to do a degree just to be called something. I do like the topic and I do want to use the knowledge I gain and connections I gain from it.

I'm looking through the list of IM interns for Brigham and Women, Beth Israel Deaconess (MGH doesn't post up a list of its residents) and UPenn, and I see two FMG/IMGs from Australia (B&W) and Kuwait (BID). Is it possible? Sure. Likely? Probably not.

Also, you absolutely do not want to be studying for another degree while studying for Step I. That exam should take all of your dedicated effort for 4+ weeks, especially if you are an FMG and especially if it has been years since your basic science training.

the thing is I cannot come to the USA and do my step2 CS and step 3 because I won't be able to get the visa. I can do the step 1 after I finish my med school in other countries. but for getting into the match process and interviews etc. I do need to be in the USA. + I can take some time off and do my exams I do not think it is that hard since many people do this.
so my actual question was not matching into Harvard or Penn directly. I am looking for doing a masters or Ph.D. before, and I was asking about my chances of getting into these sort of programs with funding. and I wonder if this could help me in matching to these universities afterwards.

Medical Residency Program - Brigham and Women's Hospital
https://www.bidmc.org/-/media/files...hash=EE215697F639804877BA9C0C65A8BFFDCA262C99

also if I want to give some information about myself, I hold 2 medals in national medical schools olympiads, one of them gold in the field of healthcare management. I have been awarded Iran's National Elites Foundation student award. my GPAs' in both MD and MPH is higher than 90% and I have the highest GPA in my MD class. I also do have some publications with more upcoming. I do also have enough professors to give me good recommendation letters.

I think OP has a legitimate shot.

so it's pretty out of reach for the other ones?

I honestly don’t know anything about those programs except that a large percentage of PhD candidates in the US are from abroad. I don’t know their source of funding. If anything I would think your chances for those programs are even better than for residency.

I honestly don’t know anything about those programs except that a large percentage of PhD candidates in the US are from abroad. I don’t know their source of funding. If anything I would think your chances for those programs are even better than for residency.

thank you again. This was encouraging.

I would add the caveat that the current political climate in the US may not be conducive to foreign students. You should investigate other countries too.

I would add the caveat that the current political climate in the US may not be conducive to foreign students. You should investigate other countries too.

Yes, I am aware of these difficulties. let's hope it'll get better in next 3-4 years.