Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone in the forum mentioned earlier that we would eventually be offered more than enough aid to cover living expenses so my question is when are those extra funds going to be made available and in what form (i.e. grad plus loan etc). Has anyone else's award summary changed to reflect a more reasonable amount for living expenses?

The rest of your CoA can be covered by GradPLUS loans at a higher interest rate. They also have financial needs scholarships and academic merit scholarships but I'm not sure how much is given for those. May 1st was the first day to apply for the GradPLUS loan.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently in Suwanee attempting to sign an apartment !

It's getting to real guys

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Currently in Suwanee attempting to sign an apartment !

It's getting to real guys

The weather here is soo nice today, hopefully you got to enjoy some of it! I moved here a month and a half ago and it's great. So excited for August!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The rest of your CoA can be covered by GradPLUS loans at a higher interest rate. They also have financial needs scholarships and academic merit scholarships but I'm not sure how much is given for those. May 1st was the first day to apply for the GradPLUS loan.

So just to be clear we can only borrow up to CoA?...asking because im starting to look for apartments and since i've heard others say that their rent was in the thousands, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

The weather here is soo nice today, hopefully you got to enjoy some of it! I moved here a month and a half ago and it's great. So excited for August!
Wow you moved here so early!!!!! Didn't you come from florida?

Wow you moved here so early!!!!! Didn't you come from florida?
Yeah haha from south florida! My lease was up mid-end march and landlord wanted to sell the house. Couldn't deal with moving twice in the span of 3 or 4 months so I figured why not haha. Extra time to learn the area and to figure out jobs/insurance since pcom doesn't have a plan. I really love it here but the traffic on the streets is just ridiculous and I am not sure if I am ever going to get used to it taking 20 mins to go like 3 miles lol. When do you think you will be moving up?

Yeah haha from south florida! My lease was up mid-end march and landlord wanted to sell the house. Couldn't deal with moving twice in the span of 3 or 4 months so I figured why not haha.

I feel ya on that one @Noxy !! I had that problem a couple months ago but I decided to just move in the parents until school starts.

Extra time to learn the area and to figure out jobs/insurance since pcom doesn't have a plan.

I am still figuring that one out too. Right now i'm on my employee insurance plan but ill probably go some short term ACA plan until the next enrollment period.

I really love it here but the traffic on the streets is just ridiculous and I am not sure if I am ever going to get used to it taking 20 mins to go like 3 miles lol.

I've got that feeling as well. Thats why I am trying to get within 5 miles of the school. 7AM/5PM is ridiculous here!

When do you think you will be moving up?

The apartment I just applied for has a move in during the first week of august. I have to work right up until orientation :dead:

So just to be clear we can only borrow up to CoA?...asking because im starting to look for apartments and since i've heard others say that their rent was in the thousands, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Yes. This is coming straight from the government website that disburses these loans,

"The maximum loan amount is the cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial aid received."

I feel ya on that one @Noxy !! I had that problem a couple months ago but I decided to just move in the parents until school starts.

I am still figuring that one out too. Right now i'm on my employee insurance plan but ill probably go some short term ACA plan until the next enrollment period.

I've got that feeling as well. Thats why I am trying to get within 5 miles of the school. 7AM/5PM is ridiculous here!

The apartment I just applied for has a move in during the first week of august. I have to work right up until orientation :dead:
Luckily my husband just found a job in Atlanta that will give me good and inexpensive insurance, but Atlanta after 7am is an entirely different beast of traffic that I can't even comprehend lol. And I swear everyone in this area has at least one dent in their car! Scary. Good luck with your move!!

Luckily my husband just found a job in Atlanta that will give me good and inexpensive insurance, but Atlanta after 7am is an entirely different beast of traffic that I can't even comprehend lol. And I swear everyone in this area has at least one dent in their car! Scary. Good luck with your move!!

Lol and I have a dent in my car. Smh lol.

Hoping we see updates tomorrow!

Reactions: 3 users
Do y'all think we will see any movement by the end of the week?

I am assuming we should. The last update (that we heard about through SDN) occurred on April 21st after the deposit deadline of April 15th. Since the last deposit deadline that we heard of was on Friday May 5th, I would think there should be acceptances sent out by this Friday - May 12th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone recieved any information on how to submit the background check?

Can anyone provide the first year schedule so I can see a general idea of what it may look like this upcoming year? Would be very much appreciated!

Can anyone provide the first year schedule so I can see a general idea of what it may look like this upcoming year? Would be very much appreciated!
tumblr_nddd2iHz3e1rmun0ao1_1280.jpg

Monday: SPOM lectures 8 or 9am to 4-5pm lunch 12-1 pm
Tuesday: Lecture 8am-12pm includes 1-2 hr of OMM lecture. Afternoon OMM Labs
Wednesday: See Monday. Anatomy lab in afternoon for 3 hours
Thursday: PCS lecture and lab to 12pm. SPOM lecture to 4pm
Friday: See Wednesday or Monday could have another Anatomy lab or IPE in afternoon.

Reactions: 5 users
@GrumpyMS Could you give an example of a typical week at GA-PCOM?
It changes every year so there's no telling what it's going to look like next year, but the schedule that GrumpyMS posted is about how a typical week looks. Be ready to have multiple exams in a week. PCOM has no mercy

It changes every year so there's no telling what it's going to look like next year, but the schedule that GrumpyMS posted is about how a typical week looks. Be ready to have multiple exams in a week. PCOM has no mercy

How many people actually attend lecture?

How many people actually attend lecture?
Depends of the lecturer. Guest lecturer are mandatory. faculty are "not mandatory but highly recommended". The lowest I've been in is 13 people out of the whole class.

I have a couple questions for current students!
1. How long is the dedicated board prep time? I was told on interview day that it'd be "more than enough time" and "up to me" based on how I want to use the weeks leading up to 3rd year, but what's a typical # of weeks students take?
2. What do you think about the clinical rotations here? About what percentage of students stay in the Atlanta area vs go to other cities? And if one were to stay in Atlanta, what's the rough maximum distance between two hospitals (since most of us know how Atlanta traffic can be :p)?

Anybody else a frequent gym attender? The gym at GA-PCOM is pretty weak.

Where does everybody plan on working out (LA Fitness, Lifestyles, Gold's Gym)?

were you able to apply already? the apartments I looked up didn't have anything available yet..so currently still looking for apartments...:( any suggestions?

were you able to apply already? the apartments I looked up didn't have anything available yet..so currently still looking for apartments...:( any suggestions?

Where are you looking. A lot of the apartments have a 60 day notice policy.

Every complex in the area now has listing for every type of unit with a mid-late july move in date.

Not yet for me... I'm currently hoping that they are waiting to do the updates tomorrow. I will check again probably around 4pm

Nope nothing yet. Maybe by the end of the day... hoping

Congratulations!!!!

No update on mine.. Does it blatantly ask you to submit a deposit?

I saw somewhere that after updated portal you get a "$1750 Deposit" tab under requirements. Does that mean that you get accepted from the wait list? I'm not sure what it means so I'm just asking here.

I saw somewhere that after updated portal you get a "$1750 Deposit" tab under requirements. Does that mean that you get accepted from the wait list? I'm not sure what it means so I'm just asking here.

Yes, that's what I've read from several other people as well. I think it should provide a link as well.

^ There's the confirmatory answer!

I GOT THAT PORTAL UPDATE AS WELL!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Wait, mine didn't come with a link though.....

Is there a FB page? Or am I being overzealous lol

Got an email confirming my acceptance! They invited me out for the first year lunch.

Reactions: 3 users
Got an email confirming my acceptance! They invited me out for the first year lunch.

Congrats!

For those of us still waiting to hear, would you mind letting us know what date they gave you for your deposit deadline?

Congrats!

For those of us still waiting to hear, would you mind letting us know what date they gave you for your deposit deadline?

Hm, I have not received a particular date for deposit deadline. I will definitely let you know!

May 24th is my deadline!

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody else a frequent gym attender? The gym at GA-PCOM is pretty weak.

Where does everybody plan on working out (LA Fitness, Lifestyles, Gold's Gym)?

I got an LA-fitness membership last term and I like it.... it got SUPER busy after the first of the year rush and has stayed pretty consistently busy (especially when I am able to go most days around 430-5 based on our class schedule) - but if you can get a membership when they are having a discount it's not bad price wise (only 20/month). Lifetime is across the street - also SUPER nice and busy but a lot more expensive. PCOM has a gym with a brand new smith machine and apparently getting more stuff too so if all else fails you will have that! Both LA and Lifetime are 8 minutes from school.
Definitely get in a routine early if you want to keep up on the gym because it may be tough when classes first start to continuously take time to go because you will feel overwhelmed. But I go almost everyday with exceptions based on exam schedules... and do just fine!