Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an LA-fitness membership last term and I like it.... it got SUPER busy after the first of the year rush and has stayed pretty consistently busy (especially when I am able to go most days around 430-5 based on our class schedule) - but if you can get a membership when they are having a discount it's not bad price wise (only 20/month). Lifetime is across the street - also SUPER nice and busy but a lot more expensive. PCOM has a gym with a brand new smith machine and apparently getting more stuff too so if all else fails you will have that! Both LA and Lifetime are 8 minutes from school.
Definitely get in a routine early if you want to keep up on the gym because it may be tough when classes first start to continuously take time to go because you will feel overwhelmed. But I go almost everyday with exceptions based on exam schedules... and do just fine!

Great! I am a current LA Fitness member so it would be nice to just keep my current membership (got the friend discount)

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who have accepted your spot in the class of 2021.. what led you to your decision of going to GA-PCOM if you were holding multiple acceptances? I am struggling to pick and am interested in how others came to their decision. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat as swimdoc, and I was wondering if there are any current students willing to answer some questions over PM? I really enjoyed my interview day here, but I didn't think it was the most informative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey did anyone that got off the waitlist do a letter of intent? This waitlist is my last chance to go to med school this year so I'm getting nervous.

Hey did anyone that got off the waitlist do a letter of intent? This waitlist is my last chance to go to med school this year so I'm getting nervous.
I'm in the same position as you, but the letter they gave us said only academic updates are welcomed. However, it doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

I'm in the same position as you, but the letter they gave us said only academic updates are welcomed. However, it doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

Yeah I saw that too, which is why I'm nervous to send them one, but you're right I could ask admissions.

Yeah I saw that too, which is why I'm nervous to send them one, but you're right I could ask admissions.

I called and asked, but it seems like it is uncommon. The person who I talked to in admissions did not know what I meant with a letter of intent.

I just got accepted off the waitlist this weekend, and YES I did submit a letter of intent. I actually included it in the same envelope as my waitlist acceptance form. It cant really hurt at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
For you all that have been accepted. How long did it take for you guys to get your nucleus log-in information?

Send one in. The worst they could do is throw it away.

I'm in the same boat as swimdoc, and I was wondering if there are any current students willing to answer some questions over PM? I really enjoyed my interview day here, but I didn't think it was the most informative.
I can answer your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who Pm'ed drmeow, appreciate that she is taking time out of her busy schedule to do this for you.

I'm interested to hear what you have to say as well.
Here is my reply to the PM:
1. Exam schedules vary. There is no set number of exams we can have per week and it also depends on the term. We don't have a regular scheduled exam on certain days and can have as many as 5-6 exams in a week span. Hard to really give you an answer on this one.

2. The first two terms are not really systems based but more so understanding basic concepts and then you start systems based with neuro in term 3. I honestly love systems based much better because I'm starting to see how everything fits together and beginning to learn how to diagnose and manage patients. This is my personal opinion.

3. I mostly study from the PowerPoint slides for lectures, but depending on the class and professor I sometimes consult other resources such as Dr. Najeeb, sketchy micro and pharm and also pathoma.

4. There are many students in my class who are conducting research with faculty members. I'm not too sure about the process, but I know that grades after first term play a factor as to whether you will be accepted into a research lab.

5. There are many apartments nearby, including the Reserve at Sugarloaf, the Residence at McGinnis Ferry, Highlands at Sugarloaf etc. I would suggest you use the school website for suggestions and then look for apartments nearby and read their ratings. Duluth tends to be a bit more on the expensive side and lawrenceville is on the cheaper side but has some sketchy areas.

6. While we do each have our groups that we hang out with, as a class, I would say that we pretty much stick together. We constantly have someone sharing something they found helpful on our Facebook page etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when the school lets you know that you passed your background check? I have the report and a misdemeanor from high school showed up but it says case dissmesed

Here is my reply to the PM:
1. Exam schedules vary. There is no set number of exams we can have per week and it also depends on the term. We don't have a regular scheduled exam on certain days and can have as many as 5-6 exams in a week span. Hard to really give you an answer on this one.

2. The first two terms are not really systems based but more so understanding basic concepts and then you start systems based with neuro in term 3. I honestly love systems based much better because I'm starting to see how everything fits together and beginning to learn how to diagnose and manage patients. This is my personal opinion.

3. I mostly study from the PowerPoint slides for lectures, but depending on the class and professor I sometimes consult other resources such as Dr. Najeeb, sketchy micro and pharm and also pathoma.

4. There are many students in my class who are conducting research with faculty members. I'm not too sure about the process, but I know that grades after first term play a factor as to whether you will be accepted into a research lab.

5. There are many apartments nearby, including the Reserve at Sugarloaf, the Residence at McGinnis Ferry, Highlands at Sugarloaf etc. I would suggest you use the school website for suggestions and then look for apartments nearby and read their ratings. Duluth tends to be a bit more on the expensive side and lawrenceville is on the cheaper side but has some sketchy areas.

6. While we do each have our groups that we hang out with, as a class, I would say that we pretty much stick together. We constantly have someone sharing something they found helpful on our Facebook page etc.

Will you please tell us what the first two terms were based on? Basic sciences? What should we review in advance if we have time over the next little bit?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Will you please tell us what the first two terms were based on? Basic sciences? What should we review in advance if we have time over the next little bit?

First term includes anatomy, embryology, histology, radiology, physiology etc while second term included biochem, cell bio, genetics, physiology, pharmacology, microbiology, some clinical medicine and immunology. PLEASE do not review in advance and enjoy your summer. Reviewing is not gonna help or put you ahead and I would not recommend it unless you've been out of school for 3+ years just to refresh. No matter if you study or not, it's going to be tough adjusting and nothing will prepare you to be quite honest, but you'll get the hang of it.

First term includes anatomy, embryology, histology, radiology, physiology etc while second term included biochem, cell bio, genetics, physiology, pharmacology, microbiology, some clinical medicine and immunology. PLEASE do not review in advance and enjoy your summer. Reviewing is not gonna help or put you ahead and I would not recommend it unless you've been out of school for 3+ years just to refresh. No matter if you study or not, it's going to be tough adjusting and nothing will prepare you to be quite honest, but you'll get the hang of it.
How many hours of OPP are there each week? Thanks for taking the time to respond!

How many hours of OPP are there each week? Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Mostly 1.5 hours a week for lab but occasionally we have two sessions a week (very rare)! In terms of lecture, we usually have 1-2 hours of lecture every Tuesday.

Congrats class of 2021!

If anybody is looking for the following books please let me know. I will be starting residency in July and will no longer be needing the following. Feel free to make me an offer because these are going on a firesale!

Term 1
-Netters Atlas 5th edition, BRS gross anatomy 7th edition, Rohen Color atlas 7th edition

Term 2
-BRS micro and immunology 5th edition
-BRS path 5th edition

Misc
-Goljan Rapid Review Path 4th edition (HY for USMLE Step 1)
-USMLE roadmap neuroscience 2nd edition (excellent book)
-Saverse OMT REVIEW 3rd edition (HY review for comlex level 1)
-Guyton and Hall Medical physio 12 edition

Also if anybody is looking for quiet, safe apartment close to GA-PCOM check out Highlands at Sugarloaf. I have been living here for a couple of years and had no issues. Referral is $500.00 and I would be willingly to split it with you guys.

Mostly 1.5 hours a week for lab but occasionally we have two sessions a week (very rare)! In terms of lecture, we usually have 1-2 hours of lecture every Tuesday.

If you don't mind me asking, what books/supplies were actually needed for class? Is there heavy note taking (where we would need to stock up on paper, pens, binders etc.)? Did you find that all of the required textbooks were actually needed? I'm not sure if someone already asked this. If so, my apologies in advance!

If you don't mind me asking, what books/supplies were actually needed for class? Is there heavy note taking (where we would need to stock up on paper, pens, binders etc.)? Did you find that all of the required textbooks were actually needed? I'm not sure if someone already asked this. If so, my apologies in advance!
I would say to wait on books because you all will be given access to a google drive with all the books on there. Wait until class starts to determine if you want to buy hard copies. You will receive an email with all the things you will need for the Primary Care Skills where you learn how to do physical exams and take history and also what you will need for anatomy lab.

Note taking depends on the person. I personally write out all of my notes over again so I have stashes of paper, lots of pens and binders. Other people choose to write their notes on their computer. That is something you'll have to decide on.

I am not a textbook reader and have never been so I have yet to use a textbook for class. I may have looked through the online copies of our textbooks a few times for clarification but overall I'm a visual/auditory learner so I'd rather watch videos instead.

Reactions: 3 users
I would say to wait on books because you all will be given access to a google drive with all the books on there. Wait until class starts to determine if you want to buy hard copies. You will receive an email with all the things you will need for the Primary Care Skills where you learn how to do physical exams and take history and also what you will need for anatomy lab.

Note taking depends on the person. I personally write out all of my notes over again so I have stashes of paper, lots of pens and binders. Other people choose to write their notes on their computer. That is something you'll have to decide on.

I am not a textbook reader and have never been so I have yet to use a textbook for class. I may have looked through the online copies of our textbooks a few times for clarification but overall I'm a visual/auditory learner so I'd rather watch videos instead.

Yes to everything above!
The only books I ever ended up using was anatomy atlases (and most times I actually copied the pictures out of them so I could make notes on the pictures myself). If you join SOMA typically you get the newest edition of the atlas suggested.
The drive will have everything you need and if it doesn't just ask your 2nd year and they will most likely have it for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to clear up some doubt, I need to know if my school's registrar should send final transcripts to PCOM (in Pennsylvania). I searched for GA-PCOM and PCOM-GA and neither show up on my registrar, but PCOM does. I sent it there, but my neuroses won't let me just walk away without knowing for sure!

Just to clear up some doubt, I need to know if my school's registrar should send final transcripts to PCOM (in Pennsylvania). I searched for GA-PCOM and PCOM-GA and neither show up on my registrar, but PCOM does. I sent it there, but my neuroses won't let me just walk away without knowing for sure!

No you send them to GA campus. At least when I called admissions that is what they told me. I had to manually input the adress for GA campus as it does not show up.

Does anyone know if accepted students need to re-send transcripts even if we have no new coursework?

No you send them to GA campus. At least when I called admissions that is what they told me. I had to manually input the adress for GA campus as it does not show up.

Well crap lol

Does anyone know if accepted students need to re-send transcripts even if we have no new coursework?
You don't need to re-send unless there was updated course work from when you sent your initial one in.

You don't need to re-send unless there was updated course work from when you sent your initial one in.

Well, I guess I'm out $8, but I guess you can never be too sure. Lol thanks for the input!

The pcom nucleus portal has a post that says: "
You must send the official transcripts from all of the schools you attended to the PCOM Office of Admissions before the start of your orientation program. Primary application services (AACOMAS, CASPA, PharmCAS) do not release the official transcripts that you sent to them as part of your application. We are required by our accreditation agencies to have all official transcripts on file for enrolled students. All final grades must be recorded on your transcript as well as degree conferred" maybe this can clear up any confusion :)

Thanks everyone, I'll go ahead and have the transcripts sent just in case! :)

I just called admissions and the representative I spoke to said if they have the most recent transcripts on file from your application, then you don't need to resend the transcript. Also, if you send it to the Philadelphia campus, it's perfectly fine

I just called admissions and the representative I spoke to said if they have the most recent transcripts on file from your application, then you don't need to resend the transcript. Also, if you send it to the Philadelphia campus, it's perfectly fine

Thats so weird how opposite that is of what they told me!! Even of what nucleus says. They even made me confirm the adress I sent them when they couldnt locate my transcripts, to ensure I did not send them to PA lol. Well I guess it doesn't really matter that much after all and no one should worry about it!

Anyone attending the welcome Brunch? I'm hoping to but may not be able to make it. Also any suggestions out there for 1 Bedroom apartments. I've heard a few such as Overlook, Summer Park, and Highlands as mentioned earlier.

Also in regards to the unsubsidized loan that is offered on the financial page, how do you get it from offered to accepted. I haven't applied for federal student loans so would it change after I apply?

For anyone going to the first year luncheon, are you guys planning on dressing business casually/ professionally or do you plan to just go full casual

I'm still on the waiting list, as well.

No. I did get sent an email directly from pcom confirming they received it though.

Interesting, how long after you completed your background check did it take for them to email you? Mine has been done for a while now but no confirmation.

Interesting, how long after you completed your background check did it take for them to email you? Mine has been done for a while now but no confirmation.

I received the prompt email to submit a background check on May 10th, submitted it that same day and received the email confirming that they received my background check on May 19th.

Reactions: 2 users
Just recieved confirmation of my background check from the school. Submitted 4 weeks ago