Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a screen for cumulative GPA at this school? I actually emailed the school, but I guess I didn't explain my question well enough...haha
I'm basically asking if there is a strict minimum cGPA in order to not waste money applying. :) Thanks!
They won't tell you minimums. Everyone gets sent the secondary and then you get reviewed. Up to the people reviewing if they will move you on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how to go about submitting the background check? I received an email over a week ago that admissions would send me an email with instructions to submit the background check with precheck but since then I haven't received anything.

Does anyone know how to go about submitting the background check? I received an email over a week ago that admissions would send me an email with instructions to submit the background check with precheck but since then I haven't received anything.
You will get the email with instructions and a due date eventually :). It is just a slow moving process

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. Still waiting.

I finally bit the bullet and started applying again this cycle. Still have my fingers crossed for a last second waitlist acceptance though.

Reactions: 4 users
I finally bit the bullet and started applying again this cycle. Still have my fingers crossed for a last second waitlist acceptance though.
I think I'm waiting two more weeks then I'm giving in and reapplying also.

Reactions: 3 users
Someone mentioned Sigma Sigma Phi (the honors frat) on fb today. Can any upperclassmen give their thoughts on it? Is there a specific GPA/ranking cut-off for it or is it more like the pre-med frats from undergrad?

Someone mentioned Sigma Sigma Phi (the honors frat) on fb today. Can any upperclassmen give their thoughts on it? Is there a specific GPA/ranking cut-off for it or is it more like the pre-med frats from undergrad?

Yes, you must maintain a 90 average with 10 hrs of volunteer activity or 88 with 20 hrs. Also, not everyone is accepted a committee votes from the applicant pool. You may apply after the second trimester. They should give you more info at the advise panels they hold and they should be sending you all info about the requirements once school starts and you can sign up to be on their mailing list if you are interested.

Yes, you must maintain a 90 average with 10 hrs of volunteer activity or 88 with 20 hrs. Also, not everyone is accepted a committee votes from the applicant pool. You may apply after the second trimester. They should give you more info at the advise panels they hold and they should be sending you all info about the requirements once school starts and you can sign up to be on their mailing list if you are interested.
Thank you!

Does anyone know about the allotted time to study for boards? I heard in a past thread that they give a 2 weeks break after 2nd year ends before rotations begin and if you wanted more time to study you had to use a vacation month from 4th year and/or use ACS (not sure what that stands for). Wanted to know if that's still the case and what ACS is?

Is there a screen for cumulative GPA at this school? I actually emailed the school, but I guess I didn't explain my question well enough...haha
I'm basically asking if there is a strict minimum cGPA in order to not waste money applying. :) Thanks!
No there isn't.

Does anyone know about the allotted time to study for boards? I heard in a past thread that they give a 2 weeks break after 2nd year ends before rotations begin and if you wanted more time to study you had to use a vacation month from 4th year and/or use ACS (not sure what that stands for). Wanted to know if that's still the case and what ACS is?
Second years finish their main course 6 weeks into the 13 week term and then have OMM and PCS (class where you learn how to do physical exams) for the remainder of the term. Second years finished at the end of May this year and then can decide whether they want to take ACS in June or July. ACS is basically your first rotation where you get ALS and BLS certified as well as learning how to treat/diagnose patients using the simulation lab.

I got accepted off the waitlist today! But my online application summary doesn't show the link for payment. I should wait for a day at least for the link to show up, right?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted off the waitlist today! But my online application summary doesn't show the link for payment. I should wait for a day at least for the link to show up, right?

Congrats! It'll be cool going to school with Thomas Muller . But yes, it will take a day (or a few) for the link to show up. Mine showed up right around the time that I received the acceptance letter via snail mail. Once again, congrats and see ya this fall!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

One more question. Is the date for orientation set already?

Yes, it's August 7th-11th. Go to page 18 on this thread and look for my post (#876) with the attached schedule.

EDIT: Also for those who were just recently accepted and who don't have the GMAIL account set up yet, the Alumni Association is hosting a Welcome Party on August 8th from 6-8pm. RSVP is due by August 1st if you want to attend so if you haven't received the account set up or email before then, try contacting the school to forward the email to you so you don't miss the deadline.

Last edited:
Yes, it's August 7th-11th. Go to page 18 on this thread and look for my post (#876) with the attached schedule.

EDIT: Also for those who were just recently accepted and who don't have the GMAIL account set up yet, the Alumni Association is hosting a Welcome Party on August 8th from 6-8pm. RSVP is due by August 1st if you want to attend so if you haven't received the account set up or email before then, try contacting the school to forward the email to you so you don't miss the deadline.
Thank you so much!!

Well I did the deed and reapplied for next cycle. Fingers crossed I have better luck next time!

Reactions: 6 users
Well I did the deed and reapplied for next cycle. Fingers crossed I have better luck next time!

Me too! Of course PCOM-GA was my first one. I hope we get a good look at since we had interviews and were waitlisted.

Reactions: 3 users
For any waitlisters, I called yesterday and was told that the committee is planning to meet based on how orientation goes. The time to kill hope is end of the day next Friday 8/11. Based on SDN someone was pulled last year during the week so who knows!

For any waitlisters, I called yesterday and was told that the committee is planning to meet based on how orientation goes. The time to kill hope is end of the day next Friday 8/11. Based on SDN someone was pulled last year during the week so who knows!

I personally know that person who got pulled off the waitlist. Also, someone withdrew from the school during orientation week.

I personally know that person who got pulled off the waitlist. Also, someone withdrew from the school during orientation week.
Two people got off the waitlist on Monday of orientation and the last one for in on that Thursday.

Hi,

If anyone needs a last minute roommate situation, or knows someone who does, I have a bedroom and private bathroom in a 2B/2B at:

•"The James" at Sugarloaf Apartments
•5375 Sugarloaf Pkwy. Lawrenceville 30043
www.thejamesatsugarloaf.com

❖ 2/2 Unit Floor Plan Name: The Delmar:
BuhMV

"The James at Sugarloaf Apartments" is 6 minutes from GA-PCOM (with all green traffic lights). I am a former GA-PCOM student, and have a vacancy for a year!

❖ $650/mo + utilities!

The James at Sugarloaf Apartments by Cortland

Leasing Office

5375 Sugarloaf Pkwy NW
Lawrenceville, GA 30043
Phone: (770) 415-3741

Office Hours

Mon - Fri: 8:00AM to 7:00PMn
Sat: 10:00AM to 5:00PM
Sun: 1:00PM to 5:00PM

Call or text me to see it!

Best,

Brent
770-609-9224

Attachments

• IMG_3531.jpg
    IMG_3531.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Two people got off the waitlist on Monday of orientation and the last one for in on that Thursday.
Did everyone show up today? Lol. Just thought I'd wait for a miracle to happen..

Did everyone show up today? Lol. Just thought I'd wait for a miracle to happen..

There was a rumor of a master's student showed up and got in thats about it.

It might be time to focus on the 2017-2018 application cycle.

Hi,

If anyone needs a last minute roommate situation, or knows someone who does, I have a bedroom and private bathroom in a 2B/2B at:

•"The James" at Sugarloaf Apartments
•5375 Sugarloaf Pkwy. Lawrenceville 30043
www.thejamesatsugarloaf.com

❖ 2/2 Unit Floor Plan Name: The Delmar:
BuhMV

"The James at Sugarloaf Apartments" is 6 minutes from GA-PCOM (with all green traffic lights). I am a former GA-PCOM student, and have a vacancy for a year!

❖ $650/mo + utilities!

The James at Sugarloaf Apartments by Cortland

Leasing Office

5375 Sugarloaf Pkwy NW
Lawrenceville, GA 30043
Phone: (770) 415-3741

Office Hours

Mon - Fri: 8:00AM to 7:00PMn
Sat: 10:00AM to 5:00PM
Sun: 1:00PM to 5:00PM

Call or text me to see it!

Best,

Brent
770-609-9224

DO NOT ROOM WITH THIS GUY!!!!!!
I replied to this ad last year and he stopped paying rent halfway through the year! I was responsible for paying $1200 a month because he refused to pay! Your student loan only takes you so far and I had the stress of not knowing if I could pay my bills on time! BE CAREFUL WHO YOU CHOOSE TO BE YOUR ROOMMATE.