Philisophical Opinions From Seasoned Anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that I've been a frequent contributor to this forum for some time, I recognize it's wealth of knowledge offered by myself and other practicing anesthesiologists to residents and med students across the US. The internet is a powerful tool, and you residents/med students reading our posts (Mil, UT, Noyac, JWK et al have a distinct advantage over us when we made the passage from residency to practice....it was literally an unknown void, at least for me. I had no idea of the structure, daily ongoings, and reimbursement issues in private practice.

Because of this forum, those of you who read it will benefit clinically, and probably financially, if you read our victories, our mistakes, and pitfalls we realized only through experience.

That being said, I see the same issues being posted by new posters:

How much money is there to be made? How do you get paid? What is a fair partnership? By the way, what does PARTNERSHIP mean? What does it take to be a successful anesthesiologist? How do you efficiently wake someone up? What are the advantages/pitfalls of succinylcholine? How much "new" pharmacology is just hype? What do you think of regional verses general? How do you deal with a difficult surgeon? What does it take to have a successful operating room? Whats your opinion on the MD Only verses MD/CRNA model? Should I do a fellowship? Is there monetary advantages to fellowships? What is your INR cutoff for putting in an epidural? How do you, in real life, handle a difficult airway? ETC ETC ETC

As time goes on, I see posts from Mil, UT, Noyac, me, and other "real world" practioners diminishing....it is not out of losing interest...its just that we've already created lengthy posts addressing most topics that are asked again, and again.

There are entrepreneurial clinicians out there who are literally making money off of DVDs/articles/self-study cassettes that cover the same exact discussions that we have had on this forum, offered to you for free. All you have to do is make the effort to read our posts.

I will go as far as saying that in non-academic settings, our opinions are just as "right" (even there usually is no "right way" in this business, no matter what anyone tells you) as anyone's on the planet

And this is not intended to be pretentious....but we are in the trenches every day, turning out successful case after case after case...literally a wealth of experience, provided to you, the reader, for free. I do total knees completely different than Mil does. Guess what? Both of them are "right". Please keep that in mind the next time you quote a "high power" academic dude with proclamations on the "right" way to do a case.

Getting back to my point about diminishing posts...if I were you, on a lonely, boring night, just like undergrad days when you spent hours studying for a Gen Chem 2 test, I'd pick a prolific author here, go to "Find More of Dr Anesthesia's Posts ", and sift through them. Then pull up the thread that has answers to your questions.

There are relatively few "real life" practioners who frequently post on this board...say less than 10...but within their post-histories contains just about everything you need to know before you start your private practice life. And it will benefit you to read them.
 
jetproppilot said:
Now that I've been a frequent contributor to this forum for some time, I recognize it's wealth of knowledge offered by myself and other practicing anesthesiologists to residents and med students across the US. The internet is a powerful tool, and you residents/med students reading our posts (Mil, UT, Noyac, JWK et al have a distinct advantage over us when we made the passage from residency to practice....it was literally an unknown void, at least for me. I had no idea of the structure, daily ongoings, and reimbursement issues in private practice.

Because of this forum, those of you who read it will benefit clinically, and probably financially, if you read our victories, our mistakes, and pitfalls we realized only through experience.

That being said, I see the same issues being posted by new posters:

How much money is there to be made? How do you get paid? What is a fair partnership? By the way, what does PARTNERSHIP mean? What does it take to be a successful anesthesiologist? How do you efficiently wake someone up? What are the advantages/pitfalls of succinylcholine? How much "new" pharmacology is just hype? What do you think of regional verses general? How do you deal with a difficult surgeon? What does it take to have a successful operating room? Whats your opinion on the MD Only verses MD/CRNA model? Should I do a fellowship? Is there monetary advantages to fellowships? What is your INR cutoff for putting in an epidural? How do you, in real life, handle a difficult airway? ETC ETC ETC

As time goes on, I see posts from Mil, UT, Noyac, me, and other "real world" practioners diminishing....it is not out of losing interest...its just that we've already created lengthy posts addressing most topics that are asked again, and again.

There are entrepreneurial clinicians out there who are literally making money off of DVDs/articles/self-study cassettes that cover the same exact discussions that we have had on this forum, offered to you for free. All you have to do is make the effort to read our posts.

I will go as far as saying that in non-academic settings, our opinions are just as "right" (even there usually is no "right way" in this business, no matter what anyone tells you) as anyone's on the planet

And this is not intended to be pretentious....but we are in the trenches every day, turning out successful case after case after case...literally a wealth of experience, provided to you, the reader, for free. I do total knees completely different than Mil does. Guess what? Both of them are "right". Please keep that in mind the next time you quote a "high power" academic dude with proclamations on the "right" way to do a case.

Getting back to my point about diminishing posts...if I were you, on a lonely, boring night, just like undergrad days when you spent hours studying for a Gen Chem 2 test, I'd pick a prolific author here, go to "Find More of Dr Anesthesia's Posts ", and sift through them. Then pull up the thread that has answers to your questions.

There are relatively few "real life" practioners who frequently post on this board...say less than 10...but within their post-histories contains just about everything you need to know before you start your private practice life. And it will benefit you to read them.

Oh, and just to clarify mentioning JWK above, I in no means meant to misrepresent him...just was including him in the posters I felt were relevant.

He is an AA. An you can learn many things from his posts.
 
Definitely agree with the above...I have learned a lot from reading through some of UT's and JPP's posts, and I value JWK's opinion as much as any anesthesiologist on this board. Now if they could only get that darned search function fixed so people can look through old posts... 🙄

I think people should be required to be a member of SDN for at least a month before they are allowed to post. I get so sick of seeing asinine posts on dead horse topics from people who have been members for all of 1 day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jetproppilot said:
Now that I've been a frequent contributor to this forum for some time, I recognize it's wealth of knowledge offered by myself and other practicing anesthesiologists to residents and med students across the US. The internet is a powerful tool, and you residents/med students reading our posts (Mil, UT, Noyac, JWK et al have a distinct advantage over us when we made the passage from residency to practice....it was literally an unknown void, at least for me. I had no idea of the structure, daily ongoings, and reimbursement issues in private practice.

Because of this forum, those of you who read it will benefit clinically, and probably financially, if you read our victories, our mistakes, and pitfalls we realized only through experience.

That being said, I see the same issues being posted by new posters:

How much money is there to be made? How do you get paid? What is a fair partnership? By the way, what does PARTNERSHIP mean? What does it take to be a successful anesthesiologist? How do you efficiently wake someone up? What are the advantages/pitfalls of succinylcholine? How much "new" pharmacology is just hype? What do you think of regional verses general? How do you deal with a difficult surgeon? What does it take to have a successful operating room? Whats your opinion on the MD Only verses MD/CRNA model? Should I do a fellowship? Is there monetary advantages to fellowships? What is your INR cutoff for putting in an epidural? How do you, in real life, handle a difficult airway? ETC ETC ETC

As time goes on, I see posts from Mil, UT, Noyac, me, and other "real world" practioners diminishing....it is not out of losing interest...its just that we've already created lengthy posts addressing most topics that are asked again, and again.

There are entrepreneurial clinicians out there who are literally making money off of DVDs/articles/self-study cassettes that cover the same exact discussions that we have had on this forum, offered to you for free. All you have to do is make the effort to read our posts.

I will go as far as saying that in non-academic settings, our opinions are just as "right" (even there usually is no "right way" in this business, no matter what anyone tells you) as anyone's on the planet

And this is not intended to be pretentious....but we are in the trenches every day, turning out successful case after case after case...literally a wealth of experience, provided to you, the reader, for free. I do total knees completely different than Mil does. Guess what? Both of them are "right". Please keep that in mind the next time you quote a "high power" academic dude with proclamations on the "right" way to do a case.

Getting back to my point about diminishing posts...if I were you, on a lonely, boring night, just like undergrad days when you spent hours studying for a Gen Chem 2 test, I'd pick a prolific author here, go to "Find More of Dr Anesthesia's Posts ", and sift through them. Then pull up the thread that has answers to your questions.

There are relatively few "real life" practioners who frequently post on this board...say less than 10...but within their post-histories contains just about everything you need to know before you start your private practice life. And it will benefit you to read them.

Oh, and one more thing (geez...this hurricane sh it has made me an airhead) ask the moderators why the search function isnt working, and demand, as the SDN monetary contributor that you all are ( 😉 ), that it be repaired.
Cuz I cant stress how much wealth of info is contained in the post histories of frequent contributors.
 
jetproppilot said:
Oh, and just to clarify mentioning JWK above, I in no means meant to misrepresent him...just was including him in the posters I felt were relevant.

He is an AA. An you can learn many things from his posts.

Geez, I feel downright humble. Thanks JPP.

If any of you guys happened by the AA booth in Atlanta and I missed you, I'm sorry. We had a good crowd come by - the tide is finally turning from "what the hell is an AA" to "how can we hire an AA?". And it's only taken about 30 years.
 
jetproppilot said:
Oh, and one more thing (geez...this hurricane sh it has made me an airhead) ask the moderators why the search function isnt working, and demand, as the SDN monetary contributor that you all are ( 😉 ), that it be repaired.
Cuz I cant stress how much wealth of info is contained in the post histories of frequent contributors.

This is what Lee's trying to get up and running before being deployed:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...?ID=1714783&WishListTitle=Dual+Opteron+System

He's said that it should be another week or so, but servers are weird.
 
tkim6599 said:
This is what Lee's trying to get up and running before being deployed:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...?ID=1714783&WishListTitle=Dual+Opteron+System

He's said that it should be another week or so, but servers are weird.

Hi
Have you guys ever considered a mac server? I hear the x-raids are pretty rock solid, and have no problems playing with PC networks.
I have a mac, and if the servers are anything like the computers, then you shouldn't have any issues with it.
 
VentdependenT said:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/announcement.php?f=22

Regarding the search function.

Listen to jet, mil, & UT. Solid folks. Search funx will return some day. There is a TON of info on this site thanks to these guys. Just dig in.

This forum is easily one of my greatest resource centers. I think I use it more than my Harrisons. Gotta give it up for the seniors mil, jpp, UT for all of their contributions.

BTW, COOL NEW AVATAR JPP.
 
Student here. Back when I thought I was going into EM, I used to look at the 15-odd people in the SDN EM forum and be happy it was busy and full of resources. Then I switched, and the anesthesiology forum had a daily average of, like 4 max. But times, they are a'changin', and we now have one of the busiest boards. The regulars are valuable contributors who provide a lot of insight and direction and it is much appreciated.

ISSUE: The Search function at the top right corner which accompanies the original forum software is cryptic and difficult to use.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: The lack of people using Search instead of re-posting the question isn't really their fault -- seems to me the search isn't that good. However, there is a Google search tucked away at the BOTTOM of the forum that I think should be MUCH more user-friendly. Too bad it's very difficult to see -- I never noticed it until today. And that too is more the fault of the forum's layout than the fault of the user.

ISSUE: Every week, a new community member or *cough* ***** (depending on how generous you'd like to be) posts a question about CRNA's, lifestyle, etc etc that has already been answered a gazillion times.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Seems 'FAQ' is not obvious enough for the newbie to read and get his answers. The only idea I can think of is to break down the FAQ's into a series of stickies with blindingly obvious titles, such as
- All about the anesthesiology residency application process
- How competitive is anesthesiology? What are "top" residency programs?
- How do I "prepare" for an anesthesia rotation?
- Textbooks, journals, landmark studies and other useful reading
- What is the role of CRNA's in anesthesiology?
- Is anesthesiology a "lifestyle" specialty?
- Fellowships

And not to forget the obvious and most important thread:
- Do NOT post until you read this thread!

To some extent, the problem cannot be solved once and for all because this busy forum gets new people all the time. But whatever the case, the forum is busy and a good resource and lots of people are sharing information, so despite the weekly *****, I would say it's a success.

😉
 
lvspro said:
This forum is easily one of my greatest resource centers. I think I use it more than my Harrisons. Gotta give it up for the seniors mil, jpp, UT for all of their contributions.

BTW, COOL NEW AVATAR JPP.

I'm following Mil's lead.

Actually I, being the competitive person that I am, will ONE-UP him and change my avatar more frequently with very cool stuff. :laugh:

This pic is Snow Mass, CO. Burnin' down a slope on a board......HAHAHAHA...Noyac, being the snow-stud that he is, has a different definition of I of burnin' down a slope.

My definition is staying upright on a blue, catchin' some edges here and there, and maybe a 360 on the slope, not above it.

Noyac's definition of burnin' down a slope includes alotta air , minimum speed down a black=40mph, and, at the bottom of the black, within twenty feet of the slopeside bar, still going 40mph, turning the board sideways, leaning WAYYYY back, and stopping within 18 inches of the snow-to-concrete transition.
 
jetproppilot said:
I'm following Mil's lead.

Actually I, being the competitive person that I am, will ONE-UP him and change my avatar more frequently with very cool stuff. :laugh:

This pic is Snow Mass, CO. Burnin' down a slope on a board......HAHAHAHA...Noyac, being the snow-stud that he is, has a different definition of I of burnin' down a slope.

My definition is staying upright on a blue, catchin' some edges here and there, and maybe a 360 on the slope, not above it.

Noyac's definition of burnin' down a slope includes alotta air , minimum speed down a black=40mph, and, at the bottom of the black, within twenty feet of the slopeside bar, still going 40mph, turning the board sideways, leaning WAYYYY back, and stopping within 18 inches of the snow-to-concrete transition.

You got it Jet. Just some of the perks of livin the life. Actually, the first snow at my house came down today. Have had 2 backcountry expeditions this past week. But that 360 in the air still has me baffled. Maybe I'll figure it out this year.
 
jetproppilot said:
Now that I've been a frequent contributor to this forum for some time, I recognize it's wealth of knowledge offered by myself and other practicing anesthesiologists to residents and med students across the US. The internet is a powerful tool, and you residents/med students reading our posts (Mil, UT, Noyac, JWK et al have a distinct advantage over us when we made the passage from residency to practice....it was literally an unknown void, at least for me. I had no idea of the structure, daily ongoings, and reimbursement issues in private practice.

Because of this forum, those of you who read it will benefit clinically, and probably financially, if you read our victories, our mistakes, and pitfalls we realized only through experience.


There are relatively few "real life" practioners who frequently post on this board...say less than 10...but within their post-histories contains just about everything you need to know before you start your private practice life. And it will benefit you to read them.

I'm pretty sure I can speak for the majority of students when I say we appreciate the contribution and unique insight that you, Mil, UT, and a couple others provide to this forum. Just as we can gain some "gems" in the OR, on rounds, or in texts, the SDN provides fast access to any questions or concerns we have at this stage in our careers. I hope to someday return here and pass on the torch to the next generation. Thanks for all the help. 👍
 
IlianaSedai said:
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Seems 'FAQ' is not obvious enough for the newbie to read and get his answers. The only idea I can think of is to break down the FAQ's into a series of stickies with blindingly obvious titles, such as
- All about the anesthesiology residency application process
- How competitive is anesthesiology? What are "top" residency programs?
- How do I "prepare" for an anesthesia rotation?
- Textbooks, journals, landmark studies and other useful reading
- What is the role of CRNA's in anesthesiology?
- Is anesthesiology a "lifestyle" specialty?
- Fellowships

And not to forget the obvious and most important thread:
- Do NOT post until you read this thread!

😉

HEY VENTY,

Iliana's idea is PHENOMENAL.

Make it happen, OH-GEE-SHOWTIME-MAN......
 
Yeah, I can play the avatar game too. Its just that I am the photographer in the family and the shots of me are few.
Its hard to tell in the pic but I am off the ground a good bit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Noyac said:
Yeah, I can play the avatar game too. Its just that I am the photographer in the family and the shots of me are few.
Its hard to tell in the pic but I am off the ground a good bit.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

I love it! A new competition! Who's got the coolest avatar!

Modifying pics to 150X150 is a pain in the ass, though....
 
Noyac said:
Yeah, I can play the avatar game too. Its just that I am the photographer in the family and the shots of me are few.
Its hard to tell in the pic but I am off the ground a good bit.

BTW,

Notice all the SNOW SPRAY in Noyac's avatar.

And notice the LACK OF SNOW SPRAY in mine.
 
lawdawg said:
I'm pretty sure I can speak for the majority of students when I say we appreciate the contribution and unique insight that you, Mil, UT, and a couple others provide to this forum. Just as we can gain some "gems" in the OR, on rounds, or in texts, the SDN provides fast access to any questions or concerns we have at this stage in our careers. I hope to someday return here and pass on the torch to the next generation. Thanks for all the help. 👍

You are very welcome, Lawdawg. And thanx for the accolade.

More importantly, your avatar is so funny looking I think I'm gonna pee-pee on myself. :laugh:
 
Jet, Noyac....cool avatar's ....I love it...
We should all change them every once in a while.....

I'm going to have to start thinking about my next one.
 
militarymd said:
Jet, Noyac....cool avatar's ....I love it...
We should all change them every once in a while.....

I'm going to have to start thinking about my next one.

Yours is top-ten, Mil. Even though its a license-plate view (read non-Hayabusa), its very hard to beat.

Very, very cool avatar. But I'm gonna die trying. 😀
 
lvspro said:
Hi
Have you guys ever considered a mac server? I hear the x-raids are pretty rock solid, and have no problems playing with PC networks.
I have a mac, and if the servers are anything like the computers, then you shouldn't have any issues with it.

I like Macs, I just tearfully parted with my G4 Sawtooth. But pound for pound, I think using Unix - and running something with an AMD chip, gives more bang.

She bangs.